PDA

View Full Version : Looking For 1st Mil Surp

Bigscot
01-13-2006, 02:16 PM
I got my C&R license last Aug and want to put it to use. My son and I are looking at getting a milsurp of some sort. He likes the Russians and I'm partial to mausers.
Does anyone have any thoughts on a good rifle to get and also from which distributor? I will also be checking out the gun show next week.

Bigscot

Scrounger
01-13-2006, 02:30 PM
I got my C&R license last Aug and want to put it to use. My son and I are looking at getting a milsurp of some sort. He likes the Russians and I'm partial to mausers.
Does anyone have any thoughts on a good rifle to get and also from which distributor? I will also be checking out the gun show next week.

Bigscot

Aim Surplus ( http://www.aimsurplus.com/ ) usually has a good selection of what's available on the surplus market. The sell Rifles, pistols, and ammo; some of it is C & R eligible, some of it isn't. Check them out.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/

Wayne Smith
01-13-2006, 02:56 PM
For accuracy, get a K31 (Swiss) or a Swede Mauser. If you want classic, get a 98 Mauser. If you wnat cheap, go with the Russians. If you want semi-auto, the SKS or AK's are available. If you want ugly, find a Comblain or a Nagant pistol!

StarMetal
01-13-2006, 02:58 PM
My opinion would be Finn 39.

Joe

grumble
01-13-2006, 04:20 PM
For less than a hunnert bucks each, you should be able to get BOTH the mauser and the Rooskie. Both are great guns to pop the cherry on your C&R.

Check out Century Arms Int'l. Once you get on their list, they sometimes have some pretty good deals on C&R guns, and lots of surplus ammol

Ricochet
01-13-2006, 04:37 PM
Southern Ohio Gun's had some decent deals on 1903 Turkish mausers and assorted Mosins recently. I got one of their '03s. Bearing in mind that they're "Good" condition (well used), I'm quite happy with mine. I like these beat-up old veterans.

C1PNR
01-14-2006, 01:58 AM

Bigscot
Good advice above. I'd just add Allan's Armory, Empire Arms, Samco, Sarco, W.G.A. to the list to look at.

As far as the rifle itself, Holy Cow, LOTS of good choices! Russian or Yugo capture K98k, VZ24, M48, among many others for Mausers, and M39 Finn, 1891/59 or M38 Mosin Carbines, M91/30's, etc., for Russian. Some SKS models are C&R, but I don't think the AK's are eligible.

Or you could look at CMP 1903 Remingtons, or some Mk?? British SMLE types, too. I've always kind of had a hankering for a Mk5 Jungle Carbine, but never did scratch that itch.

Anyway, good luck keeping your finances intact!;)

lar45
01-14-2006, 02:17 AM
I've always thought the High Power with the ladder rear sight would be nice to have.
I'm haveing a good time with the SMG parts kits and building them into legal semi autos.

StarMetal
01-14-2006, 12:01 PM
Although I've bought rifles from Dennis of Empire Arms I'm done with them. They have gone to the Lexus, Mercedes Benz, BMW route...SUPER EXPENSIVE. You can buy an as decent ordinary rifle anywhere else cheaper. Now I'll admit Dennis has some unique stuff. Most his stuff is in the hundreds of dollars. An example would be say a Finn 39, you can get as good as one anywhere cheaper. He's gotten very high over the years. Sorry Dennis, you're out of my league anymore.

Joe

uncle guns
01-15-2006, 08:55 AM
I agree AIM is a good place to start, an m-48 msr. and an m-39 fin. M-N less than 400 bucks or a 91-30 M-N <$80.00..... gun show prices here in okla are too D#^M high...........

If you can get an m-39 fin. I like the SKY marked as there are not as many of them, I now have 3 and they are the best of the Mosin nagant's

Just my .02 regards U.G. :castmine:

mike in co
01-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Although I've bought rifles from Dennis of Empire Arms I'm done with them. They have gone to the Lexus, Mercedes Benz, BMW route...SUPER EXPENSIVE. You can buy an as decent ordinary rifle anywhere else cheaper. Now I'll admit Dennis has some unique stuff. Most his stuff is in the hundreds of dollars. An example would be say a Finn 39, you can get as good as one anywhere cheaper. He's gotten very high over the years. Sorry Dennis, you're out of my league anymore.

Joe

joe,
i dont think you are 100%, maybe 75 % right..... you are paying for a service, not just the rifle.
every rifle i have bought from dennis is as described. most other places its a crap shoot. if you cannot or do not have the skills to inspect a rifle, then dennis's service has some value.

probably the best rifle i got frrom empire is my 91/30. its antique, like new finn rebuild, and in the end the first shot from the rifle was a 10 on and sr21 target at 100 yrs....worth every penny of the 300 plus i paid for it.

the other side of the coin, i picked a k31 from big five for 80 bucks and it shoots like a champ too.
the 3 8mm's i bought from a mail order vendor in sgn.........well the recievers were wel worth the money, the rifles wernt worth much.

so ya pays ur bucks and you take ur chances.....

i guess i may be spoilied...i have access to an ffl, i dont have to buy at gun show prices for the most part....

waksupi
01-15-2006, 06:37 PM
I do believe that Dennis has gotten into more collectable types, and conditions, than we are generally looking for, for our purposes. I also believe if Dennis tells you that a rifle has a good bore, it will have. I'm amazed at how few know what to look for in a barrel. This past week, we got in a Model 70 for restocking, and looking throught the bore, I told the boss it was toast. He couldn't see it, and had to get out the bore scope to check it. I was right. One of the guys still didn't understand what he was seeing, even with the scope. I suspect the guys at the regular vendors wouldn't know a good barrel, if they see one. They probably look through it, for your extra $10 selection fee, and if they see rifling, it is good.

versifier
01-15-2006, 07:20 PM
It does take practice to learn how to inspect a bore. You have to be able to focus your eye from one end to the other. I get the impression that some just look through like it's a spyglass and expect inspiration to strike like a bolt out of the blue. Even with new barrels it is still a learned skill. I worked doing final inspection and straightening, mostly m/l barrels as that was mostly what we were selling finished at the time. All new chums were handed a good barrel and a bad one and asked to look through them and describe any differences they could see. About one in ten could see the optical effect that is characterized by the difference between concentric and asymetric rings. Those we trained to straighten them. I think that most of us depend on both eyes to focus through a range of depth and find it difficult if not impossible to do it with one eye. This is not the same as depth perception, the ability to estimate distance and judge relative velocity vectors, you have to have the use of both eyes for that. Harder still is looking down an older, discolored, or dirty bore. Even with the ability to focus properly, only experience can teach you the difference between one that is definitely gone and one that might only be very dirty. Handgun barrels, being shorter and more easily illuminated are less of a challenge. Few of us work in places that afford us the opportunity of seeing a lot of them during a short period of time and be able to compare many different ones side by side. We have to gather our experience gradually, over a longer period of years, and some of us get better at it than others, while some never learn to do it well. It would be great if every milsurp supplier had that one in ten inspecting, but the experience that comes with the skill doesn't come cheap. So, mostly it's a crapshoot buying them. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you get an inexpensive action you can rebarrel, which is in its own way a kind of victory, too.

jh45gun
01-15-2006, 07:22 PM
I am done buying milsurps and I have 3 that I kept a K31 and a Swede converted into a scout rifle and a old sporterised 93. I sold the mosins and the Turk mausers they just were not accurate enough for me. Yea I know there are some just not the ones I had. ( luck of the draw yet the turk had a great bore it did not shoot as well as the K31 or the Swede) ( THie Mosins were good but not great) For what I know now since the Swedes are drying up and cost a lot more than they used to I would buy a K31. Very accurate, Excellently made and reasonable at around a 100 bucks average.

mag_01
01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
:castmine: My vote goes to the Mosin Nagant----M-39--used it in Military shoots (paper) and steel plate shoots---Have shot that rifle at 300 yds off hand -- and the steel plate on the other end did not like it----Military ammo---Mag01

Adj. rear sites---adj. front site with a screw driver----pistol grip---in a military rifle

Bigscot
01-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the input. I will probably get a russian of some type. I would also like a mauser.
Anyone have any thoughts on a Turk or a Yugo? Is there someother mauser I'm missing?

Thanks

BS

Shepherd2
01-17-2006, 12:55 AM
I have a Yugo M24/47 Mauser that is extremely accurate. It's right up there with my Swiss K31s. It's a well made rifle. My only complaint is that the stock is made of elm. Walnut was hard to get after WWII and I guess beech was too.

If you are into long rifles there is the 98/29 Persian Mauser made by Brno is Czechoslovakia. I got one last week and it's the best made Mauser I've seen to date. I haven't fired this one yet so I can't comment on it's accuracy but the workmanship is evident.

The only Turk I have is a M38. Most I've seen have been well used and have a miss matched handguard (tree wood not walnut like the stock). I got mine from SOG for $60 so I wasn't expecting much but it cleaned up pretty well. It's also a long rifle with a 29"+ barrel.
The new SOG flyer still has them at $60.

Four Fingers of Death
01-17-2006, 06:27 AM
If you have poor eyesight, the peep sighted rifles are a distinct advantage. I have two M17s, one P14 and a No4, all with excellent sights. The advantage of the M17 is that it shoots the 3006, which is a great round and easy to get brass, etc. Great sights, easy cartridge, what more could you want.

Another good (and convienient) choice is the Israeli Mausers. They shoot the 7.62/308, real easy to get ammo, components.

The Swedish Mauser is supposedly the most accurate, but I never took to them. Some guys have trouble getting them to shoot lead well, but others swear by them (sounds like the plain rifling/microgroove rifling debate). The Swiss straight pull is also pretty good I hear.

The 303s seem to be very cast friendly.

There are a lot of 8mm mausers in near new condition for sale now, Yugoslavian I believe. A few friends have bought these and they are virtually new. Buy one of these, use lead, look after it and you will not last as long as the rifle.

Now that I have thoroughly confused you I will wish you luck and say good bye.

Bigscot
01-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Mick

I would love to have a M17 but they are a little pricy for me right now. I have also considered an Enfield but have heard they are prone to headspace problems.
I think I may start with a Yugo for me and a Russian for my son and add a K-31 later. A friend of mine has a K-31 and it shoots cast pretty good.

BS

sundog
01-17-2006, 02:37 PM
BS, why not 2 of the same thing? you and the boy could compete for honors on a level playing field. One set of dies and one mould and one H&I die and top punch. Keep the brass separated by rifle and there you go. Get 2 more of something else later on. Cupple of good K-31 would be purdy good.... Add the other stuff later on when you find really good buys. sundog

Captain Midnight
01-17-2006, 08:21 PM
I've had good fortune to get 3 nice 7x57's with decent bores at gun shops. 2 are matching numbers on the receiver and bolt. All 3 were under $100 each. I plan to mount a scout scope on the rear sight base and have them ready with reduced lead loads for the 2 grand sons and grand daughter. Hope to get them up to speed for PA Whitetail season. Bought the Lyman 140 double mold as advised by the "Crew" here. Both boys are left eye, right hand dominate. The scout scope cures the problem as you shoot with both eyes open. Did this with my son in a M96 and it has harvested 4 WT's. It likes those LONG Lyman and Cruise Missle slugs around 1700 fps................. Captain

hydraulic
01-17-2006, 11:33 PM
Bigscot: Get yourself a table at a gun show. Milsurps are walking up and down the aisles all day hanging off guys who bought them and don't like them because they don't look like Brownings or Weatherbys. You have the advantage of being able to look them over before you buy and you can always get them for less than the owner paid for them. And there's no paperwork to go through either.

Four Fingers of Death
01-19-2006, 07:47 AM
Can't go wrong with a Mauser (actually you pretty much can't go wrong with any of them). Good luck with it!