PDA

View Full Version : What are these flowers

country gent
06-01-2022, 09:00 PM
300879 Okay Gentleman How many know what these flowers are. They arnt Irisis. I took the picture this afternoon

ulav8r
06-01-2022, 09:31 PM
Daffodils or jonquils, they look much the same.

"Older Southern gardeners would commonly refer to any early, yellow, fragrant narcissus as a jonquil. However, "jonquil" is properly used only as the common name for the Jonquilla group of daffodils. Daffodil is the proper common name for all thirteen groups of these bulbs."

P.S. My wife thinks they may be day lilies. After clicking on the picture and seeing the larger image, they are not daffodils.

hc18flyer
06-01-2022, 09:38 PM
I think they are an iris. Post a picture of just the flower. One of my growers will identify it. I am in the perennial biz, hc18flyer

Texas by God
06-01-2022, 09:49 PM
Yellow Flag Iris.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Plate plinker
06-01-2022, 09:55 PM
Yep I go with Iris. Think daffodils are probably done blooming this year for Ohio.

country gent
06-01-2022, 10:22 PM
They are the blooms in the cattails in the little water garden they have taken over. I seen them bloom in the ditch a few years ago but only the one time after they dug it.

Wayne Smith
06-02-2022, 07:58 AM
Picture is somewhat blurry. I'll guess yellow flag iris.

Hossfly
06-02-2022, 08:56 AM
SWMBO says they are (Japanese) Iris they like Bogs and like to be wet.

gwpercle
06-02-2022, 11:09 AM
If they aren't Irises they sure do look like the Irises my wife has planted out back .
Here in Louisiana they were all getting into full blooming mode about 3 weeks ago ...
She has white , yellow , dark purple , light purple (lavender) and a purple and gold Louisiana Iris types planted .
Right now you can go into the Bluebonnet Swamp and see the swamp filled with blooming iris plants ... these are the wild Louisiana Irises ...most are light purple but there are occassional stands of white iris plants ... I have no idea of the names , there is about 280 species of irises so ... I just call them pretty amazing .
But if any time of year you can call a swamp beautiful ... this would be it !
Gary

Electrod47
06-02-2022, 12:27 PM
Yellow Flag Iris.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Got em in mass in front of our house here in Mississippi. Wife says they are Yellow Flag Iris also. You can edge them flat and they come back twice as strong. Low maintenance color for the flower beds.

Land Owner
06-02-2022, 01:34 PM
Not day lilys.

Googled images of Yellow Flag Iris are distinct and "proof positive" (thousands more on Google):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8055/8090926315_d4f2c7f67d_b.jpg

Freightman
06-02-2022, 05:40 PM
Dug a few that we didn't have room for and threw them out in the bar ditch, then we had a fire in same ditch. I thought they were done for but come spring up they came bloomed profusely they are tough.

Castaway
06-02-2022, 06:32 PM
If you have an iPhone, take a pic, then click the information icon at bottom (blue circle with an “i” inside) of the pic. Then click “look up plant”

farmbif
06-02-2022, 07:30 PM
those things come back no matter what . I have stuff like those yellow ones all over the place, mow em down and they just come back year after year.

Thundarstick
06-02-2022, 09:06 PM
Soon as I saw them I thought Dutch Iris.

ulav8r
06-02-2022, 09:53 PM
A closer look showed they were not daffodils, the multiple blooms on one stem on the right in the OP made that clear. Yellow Flag Iris is a flower that I have never seen.

gwpercle
06-03-2022, 11:59 AM
I'm no expert but the cattails we have growing around here don't make flowers like that ... or at least not any that I have seen .
Our cattails make a female flower that looks like a fuzzy brown weenie with small brown male flowerettes on short spike stalk above the "brown weenie" ... the fuzzy brown cylindrical female part was what we called the Cat's Tail . But there could be other species of cattails that make a yellow flower ... most of my experience comes from cutting a stalk with a cat tail attached and playing with them ... back in the stone age we made toy's out of everything ! You didn't have no money for store bought toys .
Gary

KYCaster
06-05-2022, 10:39 PM
Water Iris.

Jerry

William Yanda
06-06-2022, 06:10 AM
Daffodils or jonquils, they look much the same.

"Older Southern gardeners would commonly refer to any early, yellow, fragrant narcissus as a jonquil. However, "jonquil" is properly used only as the common name for the Jonquilla group of daffodils. Daffodil is the proper common name for all thirteen groups of these bulbs."

P.S. My wife thinks they may be day lilies. After clicking on the picture and seeing the larger image, they are not daffodils.

Where I grew up, Daylilies were orange. The Yellow flowered lilies were known as Lemon Lilies.

EDITED TO ADD:
Reading later posts, I concur with the Iris ID.