PDA

View Full Version : 45-325-swc-2gg

Onty
06-01-2022, 07:00 AM
Years back, when everything in boolits started and ended with SWC design (I guess, I am not alone), while I had 45 Colt/45 ACP Bisley, I asked a friend in local machine shop to make me mold for my "dream" boolit. After I found one old single cavity 38 mold, some custom cutting tools were made, friend went on Hardinge lathe (my dream machine, even copy will do it), and here is the result:

https://i.imgur.com/eqIh8Vc.jpg

I called it 45-325-SWC-2GG (2 grease grooves). Alloy was WW.

I loaded just couple dozen rounds, using 4227, estimated velocity was about 1100-1150 fps (considering powder load). We tested from the bench, just basic rest, results were about 2.5-3 inch on 25 meters, if I remembered correctly. Since I had 2 cylinders in 45 Colt, one with about .006" gap, another less than .002", first cylinder worked OK, but second cylinder will lock in half instances, because of the powder's bird seed. As for leading, I didn't notice any, but again, couple dozen rounds isn't a lot.

Well, soon after I sold that Bisley, so I never cast and worked on load for this boolit again. As for mold, it's probably still in one of boxes. Hopefully, in next few weeks I will organize my reloading corner and sort all my reloading equipment and components, and find that mold.

gwpercle
06-01-2022, 08:32 PM
Post a few more photo's .
I'm blind in one eye and they other has glaucoma and can't make out what is in the photo ...
It doesn't look like a 2 groove 45 cal boolit ... is that the mould ?
Post something for the hard-of-seeing ... what am I looking at ? Color me Confused ???
Gary

Onty
06-02-2022, 01:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you can see now better. No, it's not a mold, it's a boolit. If I find a mold, I will post a picture.

gwpercle
06-02-2022, 03:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you can see now better. No, it's not a mold, it's a boolit. If I find a mold, I will post a picture.

Thanks ... I see it now ...sorry about being a pain in the behind .
Now that I "see" the boolit it must have fooled my brain ... by lying on it's side in the first photo ... I swear it didn't look like a boolet ...couldn't figure it out...but this photo shows a Cast Boolit bigger than Dallas .
Godd luck finding the mould ... show it when found !
Gary

grayscale
06-02-2022, 08:46 PM
Wow! I'd lay on a couple of layers of powder coat and shoot it out of my .458 win mag.

gwpercle
06-03-2022, 02:38 PM
Wow! I'd lay on a couple of layers of powder coat and shoot it out of my .458 win mag.

Yep ...458 Win. Magnum would be good , I was thinking 45-70 Deer / Hog load in a single shot rifle ... I like that big meplat ... it would hit hard and drive deep .
Gary

Onty
06-06-2022, 03:19 PM
If using this boolit for plinking from 458 or 45-70, I would say it's OK. For hunting, where higher velocities are desirable, I would always go with gas check boolit. Just little bit more cost and effort, but benefits using gas check are overwhelming.