PDA

View Full Version : Propane Tank Misery

wch
05-31-2022, 05:14 PM
I have a full tank of propane that won't feed.
Ant suggestions?

hc18flyer
05-31-2022, 05:24 PM
Small 1# bottle, grill bottle or 500 gallon tank? Need more info. hc18flyer

wch
05-31-2022, 05:27 PM
Small 1# bottle, grill bottle or 500 gallon tank? Need more info. hc18flyer

Sorry, 20# grill tank.

swamp
05-31-2022, 05:31 PM
Check the gas feed at the burner. Bug and dust get in and block feed.
I have had this happen.
swamp

Der Gebirgsjager
05-31-2022, 05:36 PM
Bad regulator?

DG

wv109323
05-31-2022, 05:38 PM
If supply line was left open, insects will build a nest. Crack the valve into open air to make sure there is propane in tank.

Jim22
05-31-2022, 05:40 PM
How do you mean it won't feed? The new tanks with the OPD triangle knobs have to be hooked up to the proper fitting for them to allow gas to escape. The proper fitting has a part that pushes he safety valve in toward the valve. You can not just fill it, open the valve, and gas will come out. It won't.

Also, if you open the valve all the way it will restrict gas flow.

https://bluerhino.com/propane-info/faqs/tank-troubleshooting-faqs/not-getting-gas-from-tank

Hope this helps.

Jim

wch
05-31-2022, 06:02 PM
How do you mean it won't feed? The new tanks with the OPD triangle knobs have to be hooked up to the proper fitting for them to allow gas to escape. The proper fitting has a part that pushes he safety valve in toward the valve. You can not just fill it, open the valve, and gas will come out. It won't.

https://bluerhino.com/propane-info/faqs/tank-troubleshooting-faqs/not-getting-gas-from-tank

Hope this helps.

Jim
I exhausted the tank that was on the grill and connected a full one I bought (Blue Rhino) from WalMart.
That new tank won't feed.
Is there anything remedial that you can suggest other than cleaning the connection?

HWooldridge
05-31-2022, 06:03 PM

Hope this helps.

Jim

What Jim said - the newer tank valves have a secondary valve that must be engaged.

farmbif
05-31-2022, 06:10 PM
I had a 20lb er with a faulty opd valve before.
my suggestion, trade it for another tank at place does exchanges .
if it is a blue rhino take it to place that has then and explain it doesn't work . if it isn't just chalk it up to $20 loss or whatever the cost for exchange is.
when exchanging I always look at the date codes and try to get the newest tank possible, not one that has been sandblasted and repainted.
right now I have a couple aluminum 40 lbers that I paid to have reinspected and one has faulty valve that leaks out the stem. time to get new valve installed in that one

Minerat
05-31-2022, 06:22 PM
I found that if you leave a valve open on the appliance when you open the bottle that it will restrict the flow even to the point that the burner will not light. To reset it, shut the bottle off, turn off the burner, reopen the bottle then open the valve.You should then get full gas flow or pressure.

Winger Ed.
05-31-2022, 06:23 PM
Sounds like you got a tank with a bad valve.

Dusty Bannister
05-31-2022, 07:00 PM
If the OPV is stuck, and all the lines are hooked up, close the valve on the tank. Pick it up and thump it on the ground a couple of times and see if the gas flows when you open the valve. Those tanks can have a rough ride and might just be jammed and need a little encouragement to function.

As others have said, it MUST be attached to the appliance when you open the valve.

shell70634
05-31-2022, 07:33 PM
open the tank valve very slowly

Hossfly
05-31-2022, 07:33 PM
I’ve had some that if you open them too fast, like there is a severe leak they will stop flow. Try opening it slowly.

earlmck
05-31-2022, 07:59 PM
What Dusty Bannister said. Happened to me a couple of times over the years and a couple good straight-down thumps on the ground got 'em flowing again.

Handloader109
05-31-2022, 08:24 PM
That stupid valve on the inside. I had one a few years back that wouldn't flow correctly. I finally got most if the gas used and returned it to swap early... if you have your receipt, take it back.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DougGuy
05-31-2022, 08:51 PM
Jeez take it back to walmart and tell them you got a tank with a defective valve and get another one!

I got a Blue Rhino refill from Food Lion that would not shut off no matter how tight you turn the valve. I used it up running a jet heater and took it back, told them it had a bad valve. They leave it up to whoever fills the tank to figure it out.

metricmonkeywrench
05-31-2022, 08:58 PM
I’ve had 2, the first one was an older unmarked bottle with something failed in the valve, it got exchanged with a blue rhino for them to deal with it, the second was w BR and Wally World exchanged it free…

Things that can potentially go boom are not on my list of things to mess with.

JimB..
05-31-2022, 09:39 PM
Jeez take it back to walmart and tell them you got a tank with a defective valve and get another one!

This.
Exactly this.
Unless you live more than an hour from where you got it, in which case it might be worth a little tinkering.

M-Tecs
05-31-2022, 11:36 PM
open the tank valve very slowly

that has worked for me on problem tanks.

cwtebay
06-01-2022, 03:03 AM
There should be a smaller flathead fit screw on the side of the valve fitting. While having it hooked up and open to halfway, turn that smaller screw counter clockwise. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

barnabus
06-01-2022, 06:08 AM
how long does the inspection period last on a tank and is there a date found on the bottle?

Shawlerbrook
06-01-2022, 06:16 AM
Also, make sure that the fitting from the appliance to the tank is fully tightened. If all the above doesn’t work, return it.

gwpercle
06-01-2022, 01:42 PM
I always have to refer back to the instructions , there is one correct way to connect the propane tank , and one way to open the control knobs ... and I always get it wrong / backwards ...
If you don't get it Exactly Right the gas will barely come out and you hardley get any flame .
Do a search on " propane tank gas grill connection / hookup " if you have lost the instructions .
I can never remember the correct song and dance you must do .
Gary

Bmi48219
06-02-2022, 10:36 AM
Had the same problem with my own spare 20 lb tank. Ran it empty, had it filled, connected it to grill, no gas! Researched the problem on line, ask the tech at LP fill station. No luck. Wound up exchanging it for a Blue Rhino tank at Ace.

yovinny
06-24-2022, 06:56 AM
Blue Rhino tanks suck..they have special proprietary valves to prevent anyone else refilling one and they oftentimes malfunction and prevent use. The few I've used were also never filled to the full 20lb capacity, but more like only 3/4 filled.
Their only use is as an absolute last resort in my book...ymmv

tja6435
06-24-2022, 01:15 PM
Blue Rhino tanks suck..they have special proprietary valves to prevent anyone else refilling one and they oftentimes malfunction and prevent use. The few I've used were also never filled to the full 20lb capacity, but more like only 3/4 filled.
Their only use is as an absolute last resort in my book...ymmv

I’ve had Blue Rhino tanks filled dozens of times by the Ace Hardware, the gas station or the mechanic shop in town that fills propane. They do not have proprietary valves.

farmbif
06-24-2022, 01:32 PM
also if I'm not mistaken the dot required opd valve only allow the tanks to be 3/4 filled or whatever the cutoff is. when the float in the valve pops up it doesn't allow anymore gas or liquid to enter tank. the 100 pound tanks are a bit different I believe they allow filling till it vents out though the dip tube when the vent is opened during filling.
I only know what little I know about them from spending so much on propane refills and running water heater and cloths dryer in addition to grills and crab pot burners off propane for the past 28 years or so.

kerplode
06-24-2022, 02:26 PM
I had some trouble with one of these newer tanks a while back and finally realized what was screwing it up was I had left one of the burner control valves on MAX. I usually run the grill at MAX for a few minutes after I'm done, then shut it down by first turning off the gas at the tank. Time before, I guess I forgot to switch one of the burner valves off after.

It was honestly a pain in the butt to get it going again once I tripped it. I ended up shutting everything off and then completely disconnecting/reconnecting the tank.

So now, I do this sequence and I haven't ran into any more problems.
Verify tank valve is off.
Verify burner control valves are off
Connect feed hose to tank and tighten hand-tight
SLOWLY turn on tank valve.
Turn on burners and light.

yovinny
06-25-2022, 07:28 AM
I’ve had Blue Rhino tanks filled dozens of times by the Ace Hardware, the gas station or the mechanic shop in town that fills propane. They do not have proprietary valves.

Just relaying what the Synergy Propane tech told me, but obviously you know better. I filled countless 20lb & alum fork truck bottles over the course of 30yrs at our old plant,, countless except for 2 blue rhino tanks from the bosses bbq which could not be filled and would not except any gas at all.

JimB..
06-25-2022, 08:45 AM
If you look at the blue rhino tanks they now say either 17lb or 15lb.

About proprietary valves, they have been installing them for years but not all tanks have them. They can be identified by a triangular impression in the side of the valve.

Mal Paso
06-25-2022, 08:57 AM
Aren't safety devices Wonderful? Some safety devices create a bigger hazard. What was so wrong with the old valve that we create this mess?

Alan in Vermont
06-25-2022, 09:31 PM
Try hooking up to the grille again and open the tank valve VERY slowly. There is a high volume cutoff that serves to shut off the propane flow if it is flowing too fast, as would be the case if the hose ruptured.

shaune509
06-26-2022, 01:13 AM
Mel, The reason is some know it all government desk jockey safety nazi and legal leaches. They have affected all industries mostly at a determent.
Shaune509

Jeff Michel
06-26-2022, 05:24 AM
Sounds like someone before you cranked down on the valve when they shut if off. Smashed the valve seat. I'd return it to the vendor and let them know. I've had it happen to me before.

yovinny
06-26-2022, 08:17 AM
Mel, The reason is some know it all government desk jockey safety nazi and legal leaches. They have affected all industries mostly at a determent.
Shaune509

True that... Just look at what they did to gas can nozzles... :(

GregLaROCHE
06-26-2022, 04:29 PM
There was a time when this would be a simple problem to trouble shot. Unfortunately, we have so many safety devices it can be a real pain to figure out.