PDA

View Full Version : Case Trimmers ? new...

ascast
05-30-2022, 05:03 PM
I am thinking of getting a new case trimmer. Something better suited for high volume. I have both a Forster and Lyman. I am looking at the RCBS mostly because their stuff works. But am wondering how many shell holder thingys I have to buy. Trimming mostly 30-06 family and 30-40 and 30-30, 303 Savage, maybe 222 Rem. I guessing 5 or 6 shell holders. Any opinions on this appreciated. How about 50 cal stuff? Is the cutter big enough? thanks in advance

Hays47
05-30-2022, 06:14 PM
The new RCBS pro trimmer has spring loaded shell holder. So no need for the old shell holder. Can also purchase a kit so electric drill can run it. The 50 cal stuff questions I can't help on .

Three44s
05-30-2022, 09:02 PM
With RCBS they make a three way cutter head which trims length and inside bevels and outside chasers all in one pass. It does not use shell holders but rather a collet to hold the case.

You may however pick up speed with a replacement cutter for your Lyman. I bought the carbide cutter for mine about 38 years ago and it’s still going STRONG.

For real speed there are non-traditional trimmers to chose from. I have no experience with those however.

Three44s

GregLaROCHE
05-30-2022, 09:09 PM
Are you talking about the pilots that go into the case mouth? You need the right size for the case mouth and I can say from experience that Lyman and RCBS take different sizes.

salpal48
05-30-2022, 09:21 PM
If you already have a Forster and lyman. You might want to look into a DaCam Power Pod. I have set up 2 Forster and 1 Lyman with His conversion.

GWS
05-31-2022, 01:02 AM
I made mods for my Forster Trimmer by using their 3-way cutter (trims, chamfers, deburrs) and a clutched screw gun from Home Depot, some PVC pipe, and h.m. foot pedals to raise and lower. Works way better than stock.

https://youtu.be/HU8RBQcwf4E

https://i.postimg.cc/1XMr4SQy/IMG-1063.jpg

ascast
05-31-2022, 09:19 PM
Thanks all. I have my Forster modified to a cordless electric drill. Much faster! The Lyman Acculine I use for odd ball stuff. It uses the same shell holder as the reloading press, which is very sweet when you shoot 577/450 MH, 43 Spanish, 11mm M, and a dozen others that wont fit the Forster. I am really looking for speed. I have about 3,000 30-06 to go through and maybe another 1,000 or 2 other stuff. I can make pilots to suit as needed.

Three44s
05-31-2022, 11:00 PM
I assumed you had the Lyman Universal when I mentioned a carbide cutter.

(I just checked and I found your trimmer uses the same cutter as the Universal)

Three44s

Gunners Mate
06-06-2022, 12:04 AM
Giraud Trimmer only way to go easy as an electric pencil sharpener an just as fast 150 cases in ten minutes trims and chamfers. Its a little pricey but worth every penny and then some. Only does bottleneck cases but damn its fast and accurate

Waldog
06-06-2022, 10:20 PM
Giraud Trimmer only way to go easy as an electric pencil sharpener an just as fast 150 cases in ten minutes trims and chamfers. Its a little pricey but worth every penny and then some. Only does bottleneck cases but damn its fast and accurate

Ditto! Well worth the money!!!!!

401pm
06-16-2022, 06:09 PM
Giraud trimmer all the way. I’d give up my Dillon550 before I’d give up the Giraud trimmer. It saves that much time!

ascast
06-16-2022, 07:18 PM
re: Giraud

HOLY BANANNAS !! Anybody might want to set up a "trimming bussiness" on the side. WOW I see a couple straight wall cases. So it "headspaces" on the shoulder - means a different holder for every caliber. That so, it would work like an electric pencil sharpener. I could see a few 1,000's '06 getting done in one sitting, as long as the fingers held up. Very interesting.

ddeck22
06-19-2022, 09:22 AM
Frankford Arsenal makes one that I use, it's pretty good in my opinion:

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/case-preparation/case-trimming/platinum-series-case-trim-and-prep-center/903156.html

I paid $150 last year, the price appears to have increased.

rbt50
06-21-2022, 12:45 AM
i have used just about ever case trimmer out their. i hate trimming cases.i found the dillon to be good until i found the giraud ,this is the best trimmer i have found.i can go through 1000 223 in no time,
i cost a little more money but has they say buy once cry once.

Three44s
06-21-2022, 09:34 AM
For 223 I have a pretty good supply.

I sort for length and by head stamp. The longest go to wait for 7mm TCU. The middle range gets saved for .223 and the real short cases get set aside for conversion to .222.

So now the .223 destination brass gets a preliminary trim on a Lyman Universal with a carbide cutter after a decap.

Champher and debur and it’s off to full length resize. Pocket swagging on a RCBS swagger.

Next comes the Wilson case trimmer tool. I have two set up side by side, one for taking a slight cut on the pocket crimp (gives a nice bevel) and then a final case length cut. This trim gives me a square mouth and the best close tolerance on length.

Champher and bevel the mouth as needed again.

Last trip is to inside debur the flash hole.

Three44s

Soundguy
06-21-2022, 11:11 AM
I am thinking of getting a new case trimmer. Something better suited for high volume. I have both a Forster and Lyman. I am looking at the RCBS mostly because their stuff works. But am wondering how many shell holder thingys I have to buy. Trimming mostly 30-06 family and 30-40 and 30-30, 303 Savage, maybe 222 Rem. I guessing 5 or 6 shell holders. Any opinions on this appreciated. How about 50 cal stuff? Is the cutter big enough? thanks in advance

As another said.. the new rcbs uses a spring loaded jaw.. it works fin in the 30-40 cal range. I have have problems on small stuff.. for instance.. it won't hold 5.7-28 etc. i have done 5.56 on it however.

salpal48
06-21-2022, 01:53 PM
Since You have Both a Forster and lyman. I also have the same Trimmers. You should check into DaCam Power pods. both of my trimmers have this set up. Fast quick and accurate . same collets and same piolets. Same change over and fast Trimming

imashooter2
06-21-2022, 02:30 PM
Since You have Both a Forster and lyman. I also have the same Trimmers. You should check into DaCam Power pods. both of my trimmers have this set up. Fast quick and accurate . same collets and same piolets. Same change over and fast Trimming

Do you let your power pod run while you switch cases, or turn it on and off for every case?

salpal48
06-21-2022, 04:29 PM
I found since you are locking the case up By Hand sometimes the case is not in the right Position as always . so I push the button On/Off on every case. but with a good rhythm you can do a few hundred cases in an evening.

ETG
08-02-2022, 10:53 PM
Another plug for the Giraud. I originally bought for the 50BMG. You have to get a case holder for each cartridge but the cutter can be adjusted. It's a pain so I just get a separate cutter for each caliber - one cutter will do all the 22s, 30s, etc. Easier than adjusting the cutter. Like said before - it cuts to length, chamfers, and bevels all in a second or two per casing.