PDA

View Full Version : Spray on Moly ?

Wayne S
01-24-2009, 10:00 PM
anybody ever try the spray on moly lube as a mold release agent instead on the spray on graphite

Buckshot
01-25-2009, 03:16 AM
.................No but it works good as a lube for paper patched boolits and smokless powder!

..................Buckshot

shotman
01-25-2009, 07:55 AM
take a Q tip and burnish it off. the stuff I had was kind of thick and filled the vent lines

44man
01-25-2009, 09:34 AM
I have spray on moly and graphite, aircraft stuff that leaves no carrier after drying. Both work but do not seem to last as long as Rapine mold prep.
I think it is because the mold prep uses a finer graphite.

Bret4207
01-25-2009, 10:38 AM
I tried Franklin Armory Mold Release. Didn't like it at all. Went back to my carpenters pencil.

Calamity Jake
01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
"Franklin Armory Mold Release" on the outside of the blocks to prevent rust and I use to put on the spru plate bottom and mold top to prevent smears, then I found Bullshop Lube.

mooman76
01-25-2009, 02:51 PM
I used it and it worked but it also had a tendency to build up when repeated. Upon the advice of someone here I tried WD-40 which works just as good and doesn't build up. I spray it on when the mould is hot and it dries instantly, also acts as a lube. It does cool the mould down abit so it takes a few casts to get the mould back up to speed though but I feel that is just a minor inconvienience.

Wayne S
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks All, lots of good info, I read here somewhere that auto parts stores carry a much less $$$ of a spray on graphite, I'll look into that for the uses C.J. mentioned

MakeMineA10mm
01-26-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks All, lots of good info, I read here somewhere that auto parts stores carry a much less $$$ of a spray on graphite, I'll look into that for the uses C.J. mentioned

We used the cheap spray-on moly for our moulds on the Ballisti-Cast machine, because we could hit them with a quick spray while the moulds were revolving around, but we ran into the dreaded build-up. For the uses mentioned (rust prevention on the outside of the mould), it would probably work fine.

We also found that if moulds were suffering from boolits hanging in them, it was almost always a mould issue and not an issue that could be addressed with mould release agent. I really think that smoking the mould, using a pencil, or other ultra-thin means would work, but if bullets still hang up, you need to look at the mould, and see if there are sharp corners or burrs or other things that could cause boolits to hang up.

Three44s
01-26-2009, 01:28 AM
I thought that smoking a mold made the most sense ...... I have tried the Franklin spray and so little goes so far thus making it hard to draw a fine line with it ....... usually erroring on too much ......

Three 44s

WHITETAIL
01-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Wayne, I use a spray on for the out side
of the moulds for a rust prev.
But if you have a problem with boolet hang up
Then lap the mould.
Then smoke the mould with a wooden match.:holysheep

Wayne S
01-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Wayne, I use a spray on for the out side
of the moulds for a rust prev.
But if you have a problem with boolet hang up
Then lap the mould.
Then smoke the mould with a wooden match.:holysheep
"getting harder and harder to find "kitchen Matches " and in the past I used a "bic" type lighter