PDA

View Full Version : Tourist season opened this weekend

Geezer in NH
05-29-2022, 04:56 PM
Tourist season opened this weekend. The big question in VT, NH, ME is what do you like best tourist season or blackfly season?

Tourist answer is Tourist season.

Native answer is Blackfly season, it's only 3 weeks and when the bother you, you can slap them silly, and no one complains.

The natives greeting this weekend is "their back"

Next is if they could just send their money and stay home.

FISH4BUGS
05-29-2022, 05:06 PM
I love New Hampshire dearly, but I'll take black flies (a/k/a flying teeth) any day. At least I can put on my fly net outfit (yes it looks stupid but unless you have personal experience with black flies you wouldn't understand :) ) when I garden or do yard work. I can lather up in bug juice and be fine for 10 minutes.
Tourists are exactly why I moved out of Portsmouth and went to the country. I lived right dead downtown for 25 years and while it was great when I was younger, the fights, the drunks, the vandalism, the cars, the loud motorcycles and the hordes of Massachusetts and New York tourists made it awful.
Tourists are here for 3 months or more, and the black flies are at least gone in two-three weeks.
The tourists never get the hang of one way streets.... :)
Yup....just leave your money and get the hell out.

Finster101
05-29-2022, 05:24 PM
Welcome to my world! We just get them heavier in the winter.

Bogart
05-29-2022, 06:37 PM
I'll take the Black flies any day, I live in an older small development on a lake near Alton Bay, over half the homes are owned by PFA, loud, dirty and rude. Garbage everywhere, garbage day is Tuesday, most go home Sunday night and just leave bags of garbage by the road, not even smart enough to use a can. Let's just say the crows and raccoons eat good and we spend the week cleaning up the mess.
Everyone in the development has rights to the beach. They take it over and act like *****s, not even worth trying to go swimming. Nevermind the huge sign they put in the middle of the beach destroying the beautiful view. Locals cheer Labor day

Finster101
05-29-2022, 06:42 PM
It's gotta' be bad when it draws out a guy who has been here 11 years and only posted 19 times.

Maven
05-29-2022, 06:51 PM
Our season will soon be upon us as well. However, autumn foliage and an abundance of pumpkins for sale truly bring out what me wife calls "the bumpkin lookers" as they think we're all rubes up here.

jim 44-40
05-29-2022, 07:12 PM
Here in PA, it gets crazy in the summer with out of state driver's flocking in to see our run down bridges,pot holes and the lowest gas prices this side of the Mississippi. I call it the orange cone State!

Bmi48219
05-29-2022, 07:44 PM

Yep, only winter starts mid-November and ends after Easter. Tourists have an excuse, they’re not here long enough to figure out where they’re going.

Winger Ed.
05-29-2022, 08:39 PM
Between the heat and the mosquitos, we don't get very many tourists here.
Even the weekenders tend to not come out as often as in the Spring & Fall.

Hogdaddy
05-29-2022, 09:05 PM

It all depend on the bag limit on tourist :kidding: Yellow flies will get ya down here ; )
H/D

LAH
05-29-2022, 09:09 PM
They spray black flies here on the New & the rafting business has taken the river. The Boy Scout Camp is a pain & took several square miles of hunting land away. The roads of full of SXS who run the trails here in the hills. Then there is ski season. Where do all these people come from?

Bmi48219
05-29-2022, 09:22 PM
Next season I’m going to keep track which drivers from which states / provinces make the most left turns from the right lane. If the price of gas ever comes down I plan to visit those states in their tourist season. My revenge will be puttering along at a snail’s pace during rush hour just to ball up traffic, probably throw in some pointing, gawking and practice riding the brake pedal too.

rockrat
05-29-2022, 11:40 PM
Seems like our tourist season started about a month ago.

Hey guys, if I head to NH to visit, would I still be considered a tourist since I lived there when I was a kid??? Dad was stationed at Pease

FISH4BUGS
05-30-2022, 07:02 AM
Probably not....at least you MIGHT remember how to get around.
Pease is closed as an active AF Base, but they still have the NHANG tanker fleet.
The land has been developed into business sites and the companies have 10,000 employees now.
SIG has its HQ here.
Still too many tourists, though. You might not even like the place.
It has become a neo-colonial theme park.

jim 44-40
05-30-2022, 07:04 AM
No sales tax in NH?

Wayne Smith
05-30-2022, 07:11 AM
Well, 27 years ago when we moved from NH to VA LMOL calculated the cost of living between them. NH no income tax and no sales tax, but everything costs - user fees. VA has both sales tax and income tax - but the cost of living was almost perfectly even between them. NH just has a different was of collecting the money.

sharps4590
05-30-2022, 07:16 AM
Is there a bag limit on tourists?

Unfortunately we get a taste of it here. Mostly it's city types come down to float and litter up the creeks and rivers, get drunk and make a nuisance of themselves but, out of staters do their share as well. Go in the middle of the week and on streams too small to float a canoe and it's fine...if you stay away from Forest Service campgrounds. I understand the St. Louis and Western Illinois Navy performs maneuvers on Lake of the Ozarks during the summer. My presence hasn't graced that cess pool in 50 years and it was bad then.

Rapier
05-30-2022, 08:53 AM
Only allowed one per season. But; Here you should be allowed the taking of them by a PU when they are riding on the highway with a bicycle more than two riders wide and at a speed below 30 mph less than the posted speed limit.

Bmi48219
05-30-2022, 10:19 AM
…when they are riding on the highway with a bicycle more than two riders wide and at a speed below 30 mph less than the posted speed limit.

I have nothing against people wanting to be physically active and healthy. But bicycling on public thoroughfares seems about as healthy as a chain saw manicure. The oft-quoted “Same Road-Same Rules” excuse is scant protection from the damage a ton or more of metal can do to a human body, even when that bicyclist is following all the rules of the road. Most aren’t.

contender1
05-30-2022, 10:23 AM
I was raised in the middle of a popular tourist trap. I now live just a few miles away from my original home. I had to work all the weekends,, & put up with all their crap. Once I got out of HS,, I enlisted in the Army. I didn't have to work as many weekends. Once I left the Army,, I swore I'd not work the tourist crap ever again.

But,, one thing has eluded me all these years. I've searched,, asked in every possible place,, went to my county & state offices,, did an on-line search. NADA. I have never been able to buy a "Tourist hunting license." They call it tourist season,, yet they are cruel & not allow us to hunt them.

Besides the rude behavior, or the attitudes they bring,, they look down upon the locals. But the worst part is their driving habits. We live in an area,, where we have 2-lane loads. In one section, (3) main roads feed into ONE winding, curvy, road through (2) towns. Forget posted speed limits,, they don't even get close. Stopping just to go around a curve,, (yes,, a steering wheel does move more than 2 degrees.) Basically,, total disrespect for everybody else around them on the road. If they can do something wrong,, they will. From stopping in the middle of the road, blocking traffic to take a picture,, to never pulling over, allowing traffic to pass,, despite the train of 10,, 20,, 30,, or more vehicles behind them. And when a rare place to pass comes along, they gun it,, so nobody can pass.

I could write a book on the total disrespect people have when visiting other places. I live it daily. Our problems start in April,, and go through November.

I wish I could find a place to buy a license.

rockrat
05-30-2022, 11:03 AM
Knew Pease was closed as an AF base. We had an airshow here a few years ago and had aircraft from all over the US. Looked at one of the tankers and saw the NH on the tail. Went over and asked them if they were from Pease. Kind of startled them and they wondered how I knew about Pease, so told them Dad was stationed there during the "Cold War", for about 4 years and flew '47's.
We have farm machinery going down the roads now and then. Get the tourists behind them and they about blow a gasket. Seen them pass and just about run traffic in the oncoming lane, off the road.

quilbilly
05-30-2022, 01:12 PM
Where I used to live near Seattle, we called the cycling tourists "Bicycling urban tourists in tight spandex" or BUTTS for short. Even our local paper used the acronym. That is why I cycle wearing something else. I would save the children from things they couldn't unsee.

.429&H110
05-30-2022, 01:39 PM
NH has three speeds
Mud season, bug season, and the ski season
or two speeds
4th of July and winter

My dad said "New Hampshire is the most beautiful place on earth, three days a year."

Now the whole place is a suburb starting at the White Mountains, pausing for the Dismal Swamp, then on to Florida.

If you really want to see a million people on the beaches of Maine, bring a bicycle, not a car. The parking lot starts in MA. Sometimes you can't find space for a bicycle. I do not understand the attraction, the beach is trash, the ocean polluted, no place on earth is hotter than York beach in July.

I lived close enough to bicycle to the Pemigewasset Wilderness, oldtimers built narrowgage tracks up the valley for logging. Ties and rails and old growth forest are long gone leaving miles of easy bicycle trails through thick second growth. On a summer weekend it looks like a city. State said that you do have to pay the Feds in a national forest to park on the side of a state road where allowed. Or get towed. Yankees will tow your car just 'cause they can and quickly, too. Jobs for democrats.

When I was a boy NH was rural dirt roads. When my oldest was a boy North Pole Alaska was rural dirt roads. Nowadays NH is an exurb and 99705 is a suburb. Nice places to visit, but I don't live there anymore. Democrats ruin all that they touch.

Don't get me started on Cape Cod tourism.

Scrounge
05-30-2022, 02:15 PM
Tourist season opened this weekend. The big question in VT, NH, ME is what do you like best tourist season or blackfly season?

Tourist answer is Tourist season.

Native answer is Blackfly season, it's only 3 weeks and when the bother you, you can slap them silly, and no one complains.

The natives greeting this weekend is "their back"

Next is if they could just send their money and stay home.

Until I read it, I was wondering what the bag limit on tourists was? ;)

Moved to a small town in Western Colorado at age 15, as more than a few other folks from California did. Guy running the Conoco station there got there about 4 or 5 months before we did, and was first person we met when we arrived before going to the house my dad had just bought. Was wearing a "Friendly Native of Colorado West" badge. Years later, in Las Vegas, my favorite t-shirt said "I'm not a tourist, ******! I live here!" Spent a few years and months in NW Florida, too.

Bill

super6
05-30-2022, 02:17 PM
Lake lure is one of the treasures of the south, Been there many times, I feel your pain.

contender1
05-30-2022, 11:12 PM
super6,, it does have a lot of great things going for it here in LL! Sadly,, too many tourists have decided to move here,, change many things,, and try & run the locals out. Between high property prices,, to limiting who & how you can get a boat on the Lake. Luckily,, I still own property in the city limits,, and also live just outside the city,, across the County line,, where I have a gun range. I LOVE shooting a lot,, and "disturbing" those who dislike firearms.

Now,, where the heck is the agency that sells those dern licenses?

abunaitoo
05-31-2022, 05:58 AM
We also have a tourist problem here.
Many become transplants.
It's becoming a big problem.

.429&H110
05-31-2022, 02:33 PM
They want streetlights and a sidewalk on a dirt road...
The movie "On Golden Pond" caused an invasion.
People from hundreds of miles away bought cottages, tore them down, built megahouses on golden pond. Brought their jetskis and waterskis so they could dump gasoline and golden pond would never be quiet again. NH is solid rock; without town sewers the septic systems drain into golden pond. Town charges $20per $1000 town tax, your million dollar house needs $20,000 a year paid to the town. Golden Pond is gone, ruined by the people who bought it.

My vacation spot is Alpine Creek Lodge on the Denali Highway, Alaska.
Brown bear season closes there June 15th.
There are many too many griz in the Susitna valley eating the caribou calves.
Go there to find out where you really are on the food chain.

Baltimoreed
05-31-2022, 04:31 PM
Some tourists are the same as those sorry cas shooters who feel ‘I paid my money, all I have to do is shoot and have a good time’. ‘Don’t have to be polite or patient or considerate of others.’ Going to be worse this season with the shortage of worker bees and folks finally getting away. Full speed ahead and damn the 5.00/gal gas.

LAH
06-01-2022, 09:25 AM
They want streetlights and a sidewalk on a dirt road...
The movie "On Golden Pond" caused an invasion.
People from hundreds of miles away bought cottages, tore them down, built megahouses on golden pond. Brought their jetskis and waterskis so they could dump gasoline and golden pond would never be quiet again. NH is solid rock; without town sewers the septic systems drain into golden pond. Town charges $20per $1000 town tax, your million dollar house needs $20,000 a year paid to the town. Golden Pond is gone, ruined by the people who bought it.

My vacation spot is Alpine Creek Lodge on the Denali Highway, Alaska.
Brown bear season closes there June 15th.
There are many too many griz in the Susitna valley eating the caribou calves.
Go there to find out where you really are on the food chain.

I fished Golden Pond back in the 80s. Came just to fish smallmouth bass. It was beautiful then but haven't returned.

Geezer in NH
06-01-2022, 10:50 AM
I fish it now but not on weekends.

If they can afford a million dollar house on the lake they must be poor as most start at 1.5-2 Million. When they can afford the house they can afford the taxes on it.

waksupi
06-01-2022, 12:32 PM
Tourist season is definitely here. First tourist of the season killed by a buffalo at Yellowstone this weekend.

Red River Rick
06-01-2022, 04:11 PM
Tourist season is definitely here. First tourist of the season killed by a buffalo at Yellowstone this weekend.

Unfortunately sad, but you can't out run a 1 ton buffalo...............

beemer
06-01-2022, 05:22 PM
I guess it's everywhere, there is a large area of forrest here, roughly 20-25 miles long and 8-10 miles wide. It is rough, rocky, and is crossed by old logging roads. Years ago the locals started ridding trail bikes there. The word got out and the area was flooded with bikes from all over.

I live on a dirt road about a quarter mile from one of the favorite jumping off places. Things really got out of hand. People started ridding the road doing probably 70 mph in packs of 10 20 bikes. I came home one day and my gravel drive looked ready to plant taters. My Dad was standing at the edge of the road and one guy slid to a stop and spun gravel on him. The road was blocked by people unloading and leaving the trailer in the road. The Highway Patrol had to get involved to straighten it out.

About 20 years ago the Brushy Mt Motorsport Park opened, gave people a place to ride and most of the problem went away.

waksupi, I guess I was the tourist last week. We were at a pullover in Yellowstone watching the buffalo. They started to cross the road and people were jumping out of cars and running up and taking pictures. I was as close as I wanted and in the car where I was staying.

Dave

elmacgyver0
06-01-2022, 05:45 PM
Sounds like the "Black Flies" may be more desirable than the "Tourists".
"Black Flies Matter"

Geezer in NH
06-01-2022, 06:12 PM
Natives on the Cape say it's not tourist season till the first tourist is eaten by a Great White Shark. Should be soon and hopefully often.

ebb
06-04-2022, 08:31 PM
How many can you shoot? Whats the daily limit? I bought in the most rural area that I could find in the late 70s. They built a city the other side of the hiway and they have a big horse show season and all the land that will allow a horse has been bought so the horsey people are moving to my side of the Hiway. They used to leave easter weekend, some are still here this year. They park and unload tractor trailers full of horses in the middle of the one lane roads and will block the road for hours.

Maineboy
06-08-2022, 09:47 AM
I live on a lake but far enough away from the coast and popular tourist spots that we don't see the problems tourists may generate. We have summer folk here who winter in warm climates and return in May but they are mostly regular folks who we enjoy. Our tourist season is really December to March when our abundant snowfall and numerous trails attract snowmobilers from all over the East.