PDA

View Full Version : Winter boredom

bigborefan
01-24-2009, 09:17 PM
After reloading this winter for the numerous guns that I shoot in the summertime, I have been seriously thinking about loading a few BP PP loads for my 45/70 Thompson Contender to see how they would work. In smokeless powder, it shoots cloverleaf groups at 50 yards. I was just wondering if I would get any accuracy at all with BP in such a short barrel (14") with BP being so much slower than smokeless. I'm even thinking about making them in duplex loads so that I don't have to wipe after each shot. I've got groove dia. PP bullets to use in case the barrel is too short to get a proper bump. Anyone have any opinions on this?

home in oz
01-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Let us know how the experiment comes out.

NickSS
01-25-2009, 06:09 AM
I have the same problem but I solved it by loading up 50 45-70s with 457 RB and 2 gr Red Dot. I shoot this load in my Gagage and catch to lead in a sand box. Works well and I get my lead back to make more balls.

August
01-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Well, I'll opine... Who cares how well it shoots? Can you imagine the flamethrower that will be? Be sure to photograph it at night!!!!

I'm guessing it will be very accurate. Further, I'm guessing if you use properly lubed bullets, you'll have little problem with fouling because this problem usually expresses itself at the end of a 30" barrel rather than near the chamber.

I recently read that people shoot black in the 45 ACP pistol with success.

More Powder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boz330
01-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Probably depends on how far you are going to shoot it and the rifling. BP friendly rifling has the grooves about twice as wide as the lands. Smokeless is usually pretty even. It sure doesn't cost anything to try and as August said it ought to get some attention on the line.

Bob

bigborefan
01-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Decided to load five using just black powder. I think that I'll load five more using a duplex load of 5grs of 4759 under 60 grs of Swiss 1.5 to see if I can cut the BP fouling down to minimum. I believe the TC Contender C.U.P. is around 28,000 so I should be OK using 4759 under black. I won't be able to test these til Spring, but will report how they work out at that time.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j65/SSCamaro427/TCContender001.jpg

cajun shooter
01-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Sorry I'm not closer as I would love to see them bad boys go down range. I'm sure that anyone present will sit up and take notice. Have fun.