PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Redding's Dual Ring Carbide Sizer Die, am I doing it right?

Ziptar
05-26-2022, 04:58 PM
I bought a bunch of used reloading stuff recently and in it was a Redding Dual Ring Carbide Sizer 45 Colt Die. Didn't get the box or instructions with it. Looked all over Redding's site but couldn't find any instructions to download, in fact it looks like it's been discontinued and pulled from the catalog. Always wanted to try one but they cost $100+ so never got one. I'm setting it up like I would any other sizing die, 1/4 turn off the ram at the top of the stroke and it seems to be working ok. Would just like to confirm it, and if possible get a scan of the instructions.

Thanks!

Taterhead
05-26-2022, 08:05 PM
For handgun cases I personally like sizing as low on the case as possible, so my dies are turned down to just kiss the shell plate. Some brass won't gauge otherwise.

Sounds like your setup is working, however, so I wouldn't chamge a thing.

fc60
05-26-2022, 08:08 PM
Greetings,

You are doing it correctly.

The die just sizes the lower portion for minimum case distortion.

The upper ring is like a neck sizer. It reduces the diameter of all the various brands of cases so you can expand it correctly to match your bullet.

I have machined several of them and they do have their place on the bench.

Cheers,

Dave

243winxb
05-27-2022, 12:15 AM
The 45 Colt has no body taper. Saami shows a loaded body diameter of .480" I dont get the reason for Duel Rings?

Ziptar
05-27-2022, 08:00 AM
Greetings,

You are doing it correctly.
Cheers,

Dave

Thanks for confirming Dave.

The 45 Colt has no body taper. Saami shows a loaded body diameter of .480" I dont get the reason for Duel Rings?

At this point I'm not sure myself. In the past those that have touted it's benefits have said works the brass less thus extending it's life and loaded rounds aren't coke bottle or wasp shaped. Thus far my experience is only running a dozen or so Winchester cases through it. I've fired these at least five times in 6 different revolvers and two different Marlin 1894s and they've always been previously resized using the same Lyman die. I will say they come out looking different. After being sized in the Lyman die there's a very slight bulge at the bottom of the cases above the section that doesn't get resized due to the shell holder.

This is far from scientific, the $20 mic I'm using only measures to hundredths, and my phone camera skills are non existent. I probably should have done this with some new Starline brass and mic'd the case before I resized it but, just to illustrate. The Redding die removes the buldge at the bottom and sizes the case the same up to where the expander die would bell the case mouth for the bullet, there it's a hundredth smaller.

I've no idea what that means, or if it even matters for a round like 45 Colt. The whole box of stuff cost me around a 1/4 of what the Redding Dual Ring die retails for so it'll be interesting to experiment with it on the cheap.

Messy bear
06-06-2022, 09:16 AM
You probably have it about right.
The reason for these is to avoid overworked brass being used in different chambers. So it’s about measurements- a custom or freedom arms chamber may measure as small as 476 at mouth and be tapered up to 479 at base area
A Ruger late model may measure 480 - 482 straight. An old model may measure up to 486.
And then through in S&W which might be tight or looser like the old model Rugers.
Now look at some of the levers and they may be looser yet- some I have measured are approaching 490 in the rear of the chamber. So this die is able to produce a round that most likely will chamber in all those different size chambers after being fireformed in them.
The 45 Colt is said to be straight but really is not. A properly reloaded case will measure in the vicinity of 480 at base and 474or a bit more at neck.