PDA

View Full Version : Need information about the workings of Uberti/Colt clones

Alan in Vermont
05-25-2022, 02:12 PM
A couple weeks ago I started a thread about a Colt clone that has come into the family (Opinions-needed-for-cast-in-45-Colt)

Since then I have gotten a set of Lee dies(I won't do thatagain, and a two hole Lee (452-252-SWC).

Loaded two bullet weights and two powders, best results were with 5gr Red Dot under the Lee 252. Benched at 25 yds it was going about 2" low and (still) left but a little closer to center,<3".

I don't have a heavier bullet right now Son-in-Law thought it shot "pretty good" as it was but he's probably not realizing what "good" is really like.

Anyhow, an issue with the gun cropped up today. I had a high primer tie up the cylinder, I managed to get the cylinder out but while I had it in my hand I saw something hit the ground by me feet. The Base Pin Bushing had fallen out! Never had that happen before. The front end of the base pin has a shallow, circumferential groove that looks like it was put there to allow for some manner of retainer but exploded dwgs. don't show anything. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-25-2022, 02:22 PM
There is nothing from the factory intended to fit into that grove as a retaining mechanism. I think it is just put there so you can get the bushing out a bit and engage the groove with your fingernails and finish pulling it out. The bushings fit more tightly on some revolvers than others. I have several of them, but have never had one with a bushing loose enough to just fall out, and on some it fits so snugly that I have to tap the back end of the bushing with a small dowel to move it forward. What you could try would be to fit a small rubber "O" ring into the groove.

As for accuracy issues, the remedies are limited as most of them don't come with an adjustable rear sight. For too low you can file the front sight down a bit, for too high all you can do is aim low. For left or right some turn the barrel in or out a bit, never my favorite as your front sight may then lean one way or the other. Best is to tinker with loads, bullet weights and designs.

DG

Froogal
05-25-2022, 04:33 PM
YES! The base pin bushing WILL fall out. That is how it is made.

Liberty1776
05-26-2022, 02:17 AM
Just examined my two Pietta Colt 45 clones. No bushings. Must be a Uberti thing.

charlie b
05-26-2022, 07:58 AM
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/colt/revolvers-colt/single-action-army

I see the base pin screw and a cylinder spacer. No bushing. Is yours different?

PS, never mind. Found the views of the new model.

sharps4590
05-26-2022, 08:14 AM
All 1st Gen Colts had a "cylinder base pin" and yes, they will come out, fall out, can be removed. The design is correct.

Froogal
05-26-2022, 10:21 AM
Just examined my two Pietta Colt 45 clones. No bushings. Must be a Uberti thing.

Uberti , Cimarron, and I believe the original Colt. Pietta does not use a bushing.

Der Gebirgsjager
05-26-2022, 10:27 AM
Colt 1st and 2nd generation SAAs had the bushing, but it was eliminated for the 3rd generation. With the Italian clones it just depends on who is copying what.

DG

Green Frog
05-26-2022, 11:24 AM
Are you talking about the bushing in the cylinder through which the base pin rides? This part, that looks like a little top hat, comes out of my cylinder easily and would be just as easily lost if I were not aware of it.

Froggie

Froogal
05-26-2022, 01:16 PM
Are you talking about the bushing in the cylinder through which the base pin rides? This part, that looks like a little top hat, comes out of my cylinder easily and would be just as easily lost if I were not aware of it.

Froggie

Yes, but the base pin bushing on all of mine extends nearly ALL the way through the cylinder.

35 Whelen
05-31-2022, 11:43 PM
A couple weeks ago I started a thread about a Colt clone that has come into the family (Opinions-needed-for-cast-in-45-Colt)

Since then I have gotten a set of Lee dies(I won't do thatagain, and a two hole Lee (452-252-SWC).

Loaded two bullet weights and two powders, best results were with 5gr Red Dot under the Lee 252. Benched at 25 yds it was going about 2" low and (still) left but a little closer to center,<3".

I don't have a heavier bullet right now Son-in-Law thought it shot "pretty good" as it was but he's probably not realizing what "good" is really like.

Anyhow, an issue with the gun cropped up today. I had a high primer tie up the cylinder, I managed to get the cylinder out but while I had it in my hand I saw something hit the ground by me feet. The Base Pin Bushing had fallen out! Never had that happen before. The front end of the base pin has a shallow, circumferential groove that looks like it was put there to allow for some manner of retainer but exploded dwgs. don't show anything. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

As others said, that's normal for the base pin bushing.

Bump that load of Red Dot up to 6.0 or 6.5 grs. with a 250-255 gr bullet, which will closely duplicate the ballistics of the original load, and your POI will be very close to "on" at 25 yds. Keep shooting, working on your grip and I promise you that your pistol will miraculously stop shooting left.

35W

DougGuy
05-31-2022, 11:59 PM
Benched at 25 yds it was going about 2" low and (still) left but a little closer to center,<3".

I would suggest a simple dry fire exercise. It's cheap and will save ammo! Stand and dry fire the gun at a target or a spot on the wall, whatever, but take a mental snapshot of what the sights did when the hammer fell. If you can't hold them motionless in dry fire, keep practicing until you can. I have to pull my trigger finger just a tad to the right.

Most right hand shooters will have a tendency to jerk the gun to the left and often down a bit when the sear comes out from under the hammer hook and the hammer begins to fall. It just may be this is where your "shooting a bit left" is coming from.

Dale53
06-02-2022, 08:55 AM
I fully agree with Doug's suggestion of dry firing to analize your shooting. However, I STRONGLY suggest snap caps!

Yep, in my early days I acutally broke THREE firing pins over my early years from dry firing without snap caps. I was able to replace the firing pins, my self, but confess that I did that, not once but THREE times (slow learner?:shock:).

Dale53

Ben_51004
06-03-2022, 03:38 PM
I had an old Uberti (I think) back in the 1970's that had what you're describing. Perfectly normal. Also, dry-firing may lead to some peaning around the firing pin bushing (inside the cylinder recess) which will throw up a burr, and ultimately enlarge the firing pin through-hole. Ask me how I know...

45 Dragoon
06-07-2022, 10:06 AM
I have a Pietta made (2020), Cimarron sourced Mod.P copy in 45C / 45acp. The cylinders have full length removable bushings.

Mike