PDA

View Full Version : Lubing Bore Rider Type Bullets

joelpend
05-23-2022, 10:31 PM
I am considering a new 40 cal mold with the front drive bands slightly less than bore diameter. I currently use a lubrisizer to apply my lube. With reduced drive bands what is the best way to apply lube to this type bullet? Thanks

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-24-2022, 10:21 AM
You should have no problem using a lubesizer to size and lube a bore rider style boolit, unless you want to lube all lube grooves in a loverin design, because you mention "front drive bands slightly less than bore diameter" ...keywords being "bands". while I am not familiar with any 40 cal rifle boolit mold designs, what does come to my mind is the Lyman 266469. It's not necessarily a bore rider style, it's a tapered loverin style, which does have the front two or three bands less than groove diameter...and maybe the one front drive band is less than bore dia...technically making it just a band and not a driving band. When I lube those style boolits, I only lube the bottom 2 lube grooves and the gap above the GC. I am loading for smokeless powder, so using a good quality lube, it doesn't require all grooves to be filled. Now if you are lubing boolits for BPCR ...well that's another story. Using a lubesizer may be messy...or maybe not?

PhilC
05-24-2022, 12:26 PM
Interesting. I'm shooting the 266469 (presume your reference was a typo) in my 6.5CM and lubing all the grooves. Discussed this with forum member Shuz a few weeks, and he basically said the same. I may have to play with that and see if it changes performance.

gwpercle
05-24-2022, 03:16 PM
I am considering a new 40 cal mold with the front drive bands slightly less than bore diameter. I currently use a lubrisizer to apply my lube. With reduced drive bands what is the best way to apply lube to this type bullet? Thanks

Can you get a little more specific ... maker and mould # ?
Details and specific's are cool and welcomed .
Gary

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-25-2022, 09:13 AM
Interesting. I'm shooting the 266469 (presume your reference was a typo) in my 6.5CM and lubing all the grooves. Discussed this with forum member Shuz a few weeks, and he basically said the same. I may have to play with that and see if it changes performance.

opps, yes I guess that is kind of a typo.
I am actually using one of NOE's clones of the lyman, mine is 270469, I believe NOE also makes them 268 as well.

As to changing performance, that will likely be determinant on your lube. Most of the smokeless lubes we use are of a quality, that not much is needed. So the determining factor would be, is there an ingredient in your lube, that can cause problems if there is too much. A couple ingredient examples would be castor oil and POA based motor oils (Amsoil)

farmerjim
05-25-2022, 10:10 AM
I use the lee 457-500f In my 45-70 I powder coat the boolits. I then nose size the bore riding nose with the NOE nose sizer. I then dip the nose in Recluse
45-45-10 lube and let it dry.
It works fine for me.

PhilC
05-25-2022, 12:58 PM
opps, yes I guess that is kind of a typo.
I am actually using one of NOE's clones of the lyman, mine is 270469, I believe NOE also makes them 268 as well.

As to changing performance, that will likely be determinant on your lube. Most of the smokeless lubes we use are of a quality, that not much is needed. So the determining factor would be, is there an ingredient in your lube, that can cause problems if there is too much. A couple ingredient examples would be castor oil and POA based motor oils (Amsoil)
Not to derail OP's topic, I'm using White Label's X-Lox 2500+ muzzle and chrono'd velocity of ~1600fps.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-25-2022, 03:43 PM
Not to derail OP's topic, I'm using White Label's X-Lox 2500+ muzzle and chrono'd velocity of ~1600fps.
Glenn doesn't disclose precisely what is in X-Lox 2500+
But it's known to be a very good formula.
If you do some experimenting with fewer lube grooves filled, it'll be interesting to hear your results.

Castaway
05-26-2022, 02:48 PM
joelpend, I’m not sure I’m doing it right, but to address your question, I run the bullet through my lubrisizer and the grooves at the upper bands fill completely. I then wipe lube off that collected on the nose.