PDA

View Full Version : took the little woman shooting......

mike in co
01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
i have a lady friend that i have known since 2nd grade. she is a nurse and a democrate......not gun friendly. but we had disscused her shooting some guns...just cause i have so many.
the plan was to start with a ruger 22 mk11 and then move up till she was not comfortable.
shot the 22, then a cz82 in 9mak, a p64 in 9mak, a cz75 in 9mm with plinking loads, a 4 and 6 inch security six first with mild 38's( but not lite target loads) and then with some 357's 158 hp full loads.
shooting paper was not interesting, so i had her shoot at some clays and a 2ltr pop bottle.....
ya shoulda seen the smile on her face the first time she nailed the pop bottle with the 22.

all in all a great day at the range(rampart range, public national forest).

she said the 9mm and the 22 were fun to shoot( she loaded and shot nearly 100 rds of 22).

i played with the 10" mkII target while showing her how to shoot each gun.

the begining of a conversion....

mike in co

JeffinNZ
01-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Good skills. My wife was not at all keen on guns when we meet. Finally she came to the range and is now more than comfortable with firearms and even shoots bunnies with me.

monadnock#5
01-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Way to go Mike!! A well thought out plan, and well executed. If gun owners all did what you have done, we would be able to fight the gun control debate on nearly even ground.

woody1
01-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Good on ya Mike. We need more of us to do that. Regards, WOody

atr
01-24-2009, 08:08 PM
I had to smile on this one Mike,,,,,
same thing happened with me and my daughter,,,daughter is of the same liberal mold as her Mom (rabid)....so when I got this used K22, I suggested she (daughter) and I head for the range....it was my birthday so how could she refuse....
and yup....she LOVED it....not only that but was a very good shot from the get-go....
a little more tolerance in the family now

Houndog
01-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Good for ya Mike!
Be warned though that most times the women will claim one of the guns as hers (my wife and daughter both did) and they will keep you up late nights loading enough ammo to keep them shooting.

mike in co
01-24-2009, 09:02 PM
by the way, i only shot 2 rounds out of the p64. this was my own load of 95gr hrndy xtp and aa2 powder running about 1050fps...a nice load in my bulgarian makarov, or in the cz 82, but in the little p64...well i had been warned.....it smarts.

for the record, it was planned to do 2 rounds , so i can see the difference the heavier wolffe springs 20lb spring does to the gun. those springs showed up today.

think i may take a couple of 22 rifles, followed by the camp9 9mm carbine, and then a 223 target load...and then maybe a black rifle or two(as in ar15...then ar10...) for the next trip to the range.

mike in co

JeffinNZ
01-25-2009, 05:29 AM
Good for ya Mike!
Be warned though that most times the women will claim one of the guns as hers (my wife and daughter both did) and they will keep you up late nights loading enough ammo to keep them shooting.

YES. YES. Mine considers my suppressed Martini .32-20 hers now.

cajun shooter
01-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Way to Go!! The problem with so many people is that they decide to be against something or someone without ever trying it first hand. What you did is the right move.

NoDakJak
01-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Good on you Mike! You can just never tell about these women! Take my wife for example. When we married 45 years ago she was a country girl that had been raised in the Walnut/Lemon groves on the eastern edge of the San Joauquin Valley. When she was young, Woopeckers had been causing serioius damage to the groves and the laocal growers decided to pay a ten cent bounty. She made much of her early spending money as a bounty hunter. Her father made some money when he bet on her in a couple unofficial rifle matches. No self respecting shooter cared to have his clock cleaned by a ten year girl. Neither bounty hunting nor shooting particularily enthused her though. It was just a job! I have never been able to get her interested in hunting. That doesn't keep her from eating whatever I shoot with Dove and Antelope comprising her favorite meats. About ten years ago I was working about fifty miles from home and only coming home on the weekends. She kept telling me that there was a prowler while I was gone so I gve her a S&W 32 Hand Ejector. When I came home that weekend I had a patch job to do on the plaster in the bedroom. We have never had a prowler problem again. Keep on keeping on! Neil

mike in co
01-25-2009, 12:40 PM
. When we married 45 years ago she was a country girl that had been raised in the Walnut/Lemon groves on the eastern edge of the San Joauquin Valley. Neil

my mom was raised in the modesto/turlock area of the san jauquin valley. i worked there for a couple of summers...walnuts...500 acres of walnut trees.
mid 60's

mike in co