PDA

View Full Version : Have You Seen Or Have / Had An Ideal #6 For The Old Short Range Bullets?

Landy88
05-20-2022, 02:51 AM
Maybe, that all are pre-GC designs makes this nearly moot. Standard weights and designs limited by plain base velocities being so close in performance to the SR loads.

I have seen two Winchester 1894 loader and mold sets for the SR cartridge / bullet.

Green Frog
05-20-2022, 08:59 PM
Landy, was this # made in more than one caliber?
Froggie

ascast
05-20-2022, 09:16 PM
I THINK i SAW ONE SO MARKED ON FLEABVAY NOT TO LONG AGO. ( sry about that, not re-keying ) I think it was a 23-35 or something like that, maybe 303 Savage, or 32-40. But can we be sure that S.R. on the side of an old Ideal tool means " Short Range" ? or Saddle Ring or Standard Range...

Landy88
05-20-2022, 10:48 PM
Green Frog: You know more about the Ideal tools than I, so correct if needed - I think that the #6 was all of the rifle tools with mold. The S.R rounds from Winchester were available for several of their rounds, essentially all of the '94's rounds. Savage called theirs "Miniature" and the Canadians, too IIRC.

Ascast: Yours is a good point. Old Ideal markings can be cryptic. Knowing the mold may be the only sure way to know. You having saw one still points to their existence.