PDA

View Full Version : Annealing machine build questions.

Baltimoreed
05-19-2022, 01:54 PM
I am building a brass annealer using an old rotisserie motor. Seems to revolve at about 7-8 seconds. Will this be the right speed for ‘06, .30-40, 6.5x55 brass? Or do I need to add a Harbor Freight variable speed control to speed it up or slow it a little? Going to do the split finger way to grab the next case from the feed ramp rather than a separate feed wheel to drop a single case. Seems simpler. This idea. 300331

jmorris
05-19-2022, 03:04 PM
Dwell time will vary with flame intensity, you can adjust either or both. I generally use higher heat and less time in the flame, mitigating heat propagation to the case head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciy6dwb290A

Half Dog
05-20-2022, 07:31 AM
That looks great. As mentioned, the dwell time will be different depending on the variables. Upon exiting my brass drops in a bucket of water to stop the heat.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-20-2022, 11:55 AM
If you load for more than a single caliber, you may want a variable time in the heat. My military 308's take more time than the thinner 30-30's to reach annealing heat. A 'softer' anneal helps for case neck obturation when using very mild loads, so pressure and soot does not get past the case neck into the chamber.

Baltimoreed
05-20-2022, 01:41 PM
Thanks, I did a rookie oops and my rotisserie motor turns cw so I had to reorient the feed to the other side. Looking at the videos that show machines that feed from the right but didn’t notice it until I figured out the brass rest. Duh. Tomorrow I’ll cut my slot in the drum and build a feed ramp. Using a piece of luan for the body of it but if it works I have diamondplate aluminum that I can use for a fancy machine. Hot out in my barn shop.

cwtebay
05-21-2022, 11:59 AM
Nice work!!!
I would invest in a bottle of Tempilaq to get your dwell time and heat correct.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk