PDA

View Full Version : Woe is Me

Rich/WIS
05-19-2022, 01:30 PM
Sat down to size some Lee 358-158 RF on my Lyman 450 and seemed hard to turn like the lube reservoir was empty. No big deal have plenty of lube sticks. Started to back out pressure washer and after a turn or two heard something go"snap". Got it apart and discovered the pressure screw had broken at its base. Have other sizers so not dead in the water. Set up my RCBS LAM II and decided to fill it before starting. When I got it apart there was a plastic washer on the upper shaft that had split. Called RCBS and was told it was to prevent galling the pressure screw when it was backed against the threaded cap.

RCBS is sending two of the washers and a C-clip for the reservoir cap. There is also a retainer that goes on the bottom of the screw. My bottom one is missing and the tech said it was to hold the pressure nut on if the reservoir runs dry. The design was good but they don't hold up, and unless you pump it dry serves no purpose. RCBS, as expected is sending the parts free.

Lyman was another story, called and was told to order off their web site. New screw was just under $8 and shipping was as much as the part.

If you use a LAM II don't let it run dry and check the fiber washer to be sure it is still intact.

slim1836
05-19-2022, 07:54 PM
Sounds like my kind of luck.

Slim

Hickok
05-19-2022, 08:10 PM
I busted that same screw on my Lyman 450 a few years ago. Had to replace it. It has been OK since then.

nicholst55
05-19-2022, 09:11 PM
I just ordered the ratchet for the pressure screw on my Lyman 450 - from Lyman, which was a mistake. It was $10 for the ratchet and $10 for shipping. Then, I found a guy that is on both Ebay and GunJoker that sells Lyman parts cheap, and refurbs Lyman lube-sizers. But it isn't just Lyman; I was looking at ammo cans online, and found a vendor selling them pretty cheap - $20 for a 'fat 50' can, which is pretty cheap - and then another $20 for shipping. Not such a good deal.