PDA

View Full Version : Optics on handguns

gunrunner5.56
05-19-2022, 02:47 AM
Just curious what is everyone’s opinion on optics on a carry pistol, looking into the shield+ 9mm and m18 as possible replacements for my shield 9mm. I have never shot an optic on a pistol but now that I am 42 my eyesight is getting worse (wear bifocals now) I think this would help any insight and recommendations are welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winelover
05-19-2022, 07:18 AM
I have optics on almost all of my full size handguns. However, none on my carry pieces. They would be too intrusive, for me. Even a mini reflex, like the one I have on a Sig P320 RX Compact.

What I do use and highly recommend, on carry pieces, are Crimson Trace laser grips (revolvers) or Laserguards on semiautomatics. I'm 70 years old and they make a world of difference in terms of shoot ability. One can literally shoot from the hip. Excellent tool for learning DA trigger control.

Winelover

Sasquatch-1
05-19-2022, 07:34 AM
Most civilian shooting are going to take place at less than 15 yards. Spend the money on ammo and do more practicing. Remember also, depending on the optic you will probably have to spend more on holsters.

contender1
05-19-2022, 08:54 AM
As a long time,, (lifetime of over 50 years) handgunner,, I can say I've watched the world go from no optics on handguns,, to a variety of options.
Red dots have their place.
As noted,, as eyesight goes,, red dots can & will allow easier sight acquisition. In competition,, red dots are THE fastest at this.
But,, if self defense is your main purpose,, you need to consider a few things.
It takes practice to use them easily. A proper grip is necessary,, AND while in use,, the gun must be mostly aligned with your eyes. In a SD situation, you may NOT be able to do this.
And in a SD physical attack,, many people who have not experienced it,, subconsciously focus on the threat & NOT their sights. (Just ask a combat Vet about **** or their first time,) As such,, you may not actually get the gun aligned & focus on the dot.

Red dots are a good tool, and with practice,, can be very effective. Especially for range shooting & competition,, or even hunting.

And as noted above,, a laser is also a good tool for SD. A laser does allow for the active, physical engagement with a thug,, where you are not able to grip & use a handgun "normally." Think; "On the ground, primary hand disabled, fighting with an attacker,, and you only have your off hand capable of bringing your gun into use. A laser can be activated,, and if you are focused on the threat,, you'll likely see the laser dot. If the dot is on the thug,, pull the trigger."
I use this scenario,,as an example,, for a very simple reason. My mother was attacked,, sprayed with pepper spray (3) times & attacked. She was NOT able to get her handgun into use. She switched handguns after that. Her new gun had a laser.

But since the OP is asking about red dots,, yes,, they can help ageing eyes a lot. Just realize they are not the final word in sights for all applications.

Sasquatch-1
05-19-2022, 09:00 AM
The question of optics also brings up the question of battery replacement. Are you the type that is OCD about changing batteries? If not and the battery is dead when you need it the optic is worthless.

murf205
05-19-2022, 11:06 AM
300321 Here is my solution for carry gun. Mine is a Ruger EC-9s and I used a white paint pen to put the dots on. Easily touched up and needs no batteries or special holsters. As far as the Shield, I hope you have better luck than I did.

Jaaymar
05-19-2022, 01:20 PM
I have optics on some rifles but only one handgun. It is a revolver I use for hunting.
My carry guns have either lasers or flashlights, the flashlight makes the sights easer to see even in moderate light (not of use in bright daylight).
I found the optic to be too bulky being on top of the slide, the laser is by far the least obtrusive followed by the light mounted under the slide.
I had to buy a custom holster for the light, just had to customize a standard holster for the lasers.
The laser is easy to see except in bright daylight.
It is a risk that an attack may take place in broad daylight but it is a tradeoff that is worth it to make the tool easer to carry.

Hope this helps comming from someone with ageing eyes as well.

Jaaymar

Dan Cash
05-19-2022, 01:40 PM
Red dots are pretty bulky for use on a concealed carry hand gun. Lasers: If you can point the gun well enough to put the laser on the target, you don't need the laser. The laser is a great training tool but not much of a sighting system in most circumstances.

armoredman
05-19-2022, 05:01 PM
I tried lasers, Crimson Trace, and they have some trade offs, as well - a jerkily moved laser is hard to see in sunlight, for one thing. Trying to do that one handed while grappling would probably be fun, but I definitely see the point. I used Crimson Trace on my P-01 for years, even survived being dropped in a toilet, (CLEAN WATER), after drying out, but the rubber center became so sticky over time it was unusable, and the laser gave up the ghost, so I gave the set away to an electrical engineer who fixed them. I just paid for a red dot to be mounted on a Glock 43X slide for the wife of one of my best friends in the world, so she can see something - her eyes are unable to pick up the white dots well anymore, and she can see a bright red dot quite well. As for me, personally? I have a dot on my defensive carbine, and a 3X prism on my BREN 2, but my carry sidearm doesn't even have night sights on it.

armoredman
05-19-2022, 05:04 PM
On second thought, maybe LAGS can mount a dot to my T/C Renegade? Wouldn't that be a winner?

M-Tecs
05-19-2022, 05:17 PM
Unless I am wearing my prescription shooting glasses I no longer can see the front sight. My carry gun is a Sig XL365 with a Holosun HS507K X2. Battery life is 50,000 hours and it has a built in rear sight. As a carry gun I love it but I admit the Springfield Hellcat has a better iron sight setup for optics.

As to the Holosun I love it. I can shoot it quicker and more accurately than irons. I have since purchased two more and more will follow. The only down side I see is with with daily carry you need to clean the lint that accumulates on the lens. You can't beat them for low light usage.

Idaho45guy
05-19-2022, 05:44 PM
As a long time,, (lifetime of over 50 years) handgunner,, I can say I've watched the world go from no optics on handguns,, to a variety of options.
As noted,, as eyesight goes,, red dots can & will allow easier sight acquisition. In competition,, red dots are THE fastest at this.
It takes practice to use them easily. A proper grip is necessary,, AND while in use,, the gun must be mostly aligned with your eyes. In a SD situation, you may NOT be able to do this.
And in a SD physical attack,, many people who have not experienced it,, subconsciously focus on the threat & NOT their sights. (Just ask a combat Vet about **** or their first time,) As such,, you may not actually get the gun aligned & focus on the dot.

Red dots are a good tool, and with practice,, can be very effective. Especially for range shooting & competition,, or even hunting.

And as noted above,, a laser is also a good tool for SD. A laser does allow for the active, physical engagement with a thug,, where you are not able to grip & use a handgun "normally." Think; "On the ground, primary hand disabled, fighting with an attacker,, and you only have your off hand capable of bringing your gun into use. A laser can be activated,, and if you are focused on the threat,, you'll likely see the laser dot. If the dot is on the thug,, pull the trigger."
I use this scenario,,as an example,, for a very simple reason. My mother was attacked,, sprayed with pepper spray (3) times & attacked. She was NOT able to get her handgun into use. She switched handguns after that. Her new gun had a laser.

But since the OP is asking about red dots,, yes,, they can help ageing eyes a lot. Just realize they are not the final word in sights for all applications.

Totally agree. I have red dots on two defensive-type pistols; a Glock G19 and my XDM Elite 3.8" 10mm. The red dot is on the Glock because I don't carry it and it is strictly a range toy. The XDM is wearing a red dot because I am in the middle of developing loads for it and need absolute accuracy at the range.

Red dots simply add too much bulk, complexity, and are too easy to compromise due to mechanical failure or obstructed view for CCW.

Essential for me at 53 with tri-focals to get 1" groups at the range, but I find I personally shoot slower with them. Probably because I just don't want to invest the time and money training to get good with one.

BK7saum
05-19-2022, 05:53 PM
Training with the red dots teaches FOCUS on the threat/target. The dot is visible over the threat and you have the focus where it needs to be to evalute the threat. you have to retrain your brain to focus on the target instead of rhe "front sight"

Budzilla 19
05-19-2022, 05:56 PM
Red dot on a Ruger SBH in 44 mag. Red dot on AR also. Removed AR red dot, replaced with scope.
CLose quarter sights do close up work. Love th reddot on the Ruger. Just my opinions.

I agree with learning the red dot....... focus!

Winger Ed.
05-19-2022, 06:40 PM
I'm not a big optics fan. I used to have one on a recreational target .22 pistol, but that's all.

For a red dot on a carry gun, check out the Crimson Trace company and their laser grips.
The laser is made into the grips and is almost un-noticable.

gunrunner5.56
05-19-2022, 08:00 PM
Unless I am wearing my prescription shooting glasses I no longer can see the front sight. My carry gun is a Sig XL365 with a Holosun HS507K X2. Battery life is 50,000 hours and it has a built in rear sight. As a carry gun I love it but I admit the Springfield Hellcat has a better iron sight setup for optics.

As to the Holosun I love it. I can shoot it quicker and more accurately than irons. I have since purchased two more and more will follow. The only down side I see is with with daily carry you need to clean the lint that accumulates on the lens. You can't beat them for low light usage.

Went to the local gun store today and really liked the hellcat and P365 along with the m18

beshears
05-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Did an experiment today. Have two 1911 in 38 Super, one with open sights and 1 with a red dot.Using a timer and drawing from the holster time to draw, pick up sights and fire was very close to the same. The most accurate was the red dot. 15 yards

gunrunner5.56
05-19-2022, 10:52 PM
The more I think about it I think the hellcat rod will be my choice

PrestoColumbus
05-20-2022, 01:35 AM
I am trying to convince myself to put an optic on my HK45c. Currently have the adaptor but have not put it on my firearm. I want to do this but just... haven't.

Idaho45guy
05-20-2022, 01:52 AM
The more I think about it I think the hellcat rod will be my choice

I bought the P365 and my dad bought the Hellcat. They are both GREAT carry guns. So close that it just comes down to personal choice. I chose the Sig because it had been out for 3 years and all the bugs worked out, plus, I wanted the option of a safety and I liked the modularity of it.

I took them both to the range for a side by side comparison and shot both of them equally well. I liked the sights of the Hellcat a little better, but the P365 was just a little easier to hit with.

Really, so close as to being statistically insignificant.

sharps4590
05-20-2022, 07:34 AM
A few weeks ago, shooting a friends 586 and my handloads, with him as a witness, I put a cylinder full under an inch at 25 yards, benched, with open sights. I turned 69 in February. Practice man, practice. I've never put an optical sight of any kind on any handgun. They just make the handgun clubby, unhandy and unwieldy to me. I wouldn't dare disparage them or anyone who uses them. I've shot a few over the years and the work one can do I thought was impressive, just not for me.......yet.

For up close and personal shooting, instinctive works better for me than anything.

gunrunner5.56
05-20-2022, 10:23 AM
The major benefit of optics, to me at least, is the ability to completely focus on the target and not fight to find the front sight.

BK7saum
05-20-2022, 11:48 AM
The major benefit of optics, to me at least, is the ability to completely focus on the target and not fight to find the front sight.

This is really the advantage for those with "older eyes". Being able to focus on the target and superimposing the dot over the target as you press the trigger in quick response to the threat is the goal. For those that require readers, if you cant see the front sight to align your sights, you are just pointing and shooting. I have no issues shooting great groups benched but having shot a red dot for two years now on my carry guns, I can tell you my accuracy in moving and shooting is better that it ever was. The speed on followup shots at distance is also better than ever.

Also, it takes shooters about a day and a half shooting the red dots on handguns for the system to "click" with them. After that, by and large, almost everyone has said they are awesome. At the end of day one, about half say that they hate them.

So there is a learning curve and with out spending 8-12 hours with the optic, experience says you haven't really haven't given it a fair shake.

gunrunner5.56
05-20-2022, 11:51 AM
This is really the advantage for those with "older eyes". Being able to focus on the target and superimposing the dot over the target as you press the trigger in quick response to the threat is the goal. For those that require readers, if you cant see the front sight to align your sights, you are just pointing and shooting. I have no issues shooting great groups benched but having shot a red dot for two years now on my carry guns, I can tell you my accuracy in moving and shooting is better that it ever was. The speed on followup shots at distance is also better than ever.

Also, it takes shooters about a day and a half shooting the red dots on handguns for the system to "click" with them. After that, by and large, almost everyone has said they are awesome. At the end of day one, about half say that they hate them.

So there is a learning curve and with out spending 8-12 hours with the optic, experience says you haven't really haven't given it a fair shake.

So your telling me the plus side is I will have to shoot a little extra to get acclimated, sounds like a plus to me!!

BK7saum
05-20-2022, 12:04 PM
Yes, you've got it.

After you put in quite a bit of time with presentations and shooting drills, the pistol points naturally and the dot is visible without "fishing" for it.

Realistically, once you see a "flash" of the dot in the window you will be in the scoring ring at 20yards or less.

on the second day, one drill we shot was walking and shooting from 30 yards to 10 yards. It was amazing how comfortable it was shooting with the dot.

MT Gianni
05-20-2022, 03:16 PM
I have my contenders scoped. I first scoped a Super Blackhawk 20+ years ago. It cut my groups in half and increased target acquisition time x4. I don't want that in a carry gun.

Idaho45guy
05-20-2022, 04:19 PM
The last time I tried to shoot fast with a red dot, it was sunny out and I was shooting at paper plates. The red dot completely disappeared. I was reduced to basically point shooting. Didn't think it was a good idea to rely on a sight that you couldn't see in certain weather conditions or target colors.

Was tempted to get the Holosun 570K green dot with the larger circle/dot configuration, but found other things to spend money on. Maybe I'll try the green dot some day if the economy ever improves.

M-Tecs
05-20-2022, 04:45 PM
The last time I tried to shoot fast with a red dot, it was sunny out and I was shooting at paper plates. The red dot completely disappeared. I was reduced to basically point shooting. Didn't think it was a good idea to rely on a sight that you couldn't see in certain weather conditions or target colors.

Was tempted to get the Holosun 570K green dot with the larger circle/dot configuration, but found other things to spend money on. Maybe I'll try the green dot some day if the economy ever improves.

I am partially color blind. I don't see most red dots well be I do see the Holosun red dot very well. I have their green dot also. Both can be set bright enough that they work under any condition.

M-Tecs
05-20-2022, 06:23 PM
I have my contenders scoped. I first scoped a Super Blackhawk 20+ years ago. It cut my groups in half and increased target acquisition time x4. I don't want that in a carry gun.

I scoped my 357 Herrett Contender in 1976. I have a bunch of scoped handguns. Scoped handguns have their place but on a carry gun not so much. Comparing a scope to the current very compact red/green dots very much apples and oranges.

littlejack
05-20-2022, 06:44 PM
If you have an astigmatism, be aware before you buy a red dot sight. I do have an astigmatism, and have two red dots mounted. One on a Hi Standard Double Nine, and one on a Just Right Carbine in 45acp. I shoot with the dot on lower setting, and that does away with the "comet" effect of the red dot. I had the lense surgery a year ago. Glad I did. Before the surgery, the sights were blurry and the target was clear. After the surgery, the sights are clear and crisp, and the target is some blurry. That works fine for me.

Handloader109
05-20-2022, 09:10 PM

But since the OP is asking about red dots,, yes,, they can help ageing eyes a lot. Just realize they are not the final word in sights for all applications.What are you talking about? Whether or not you have an optic on your handgun or not, you have to see the sights and there is really not that much difference in looking through a reflex sight or at your iron sights. And every handgun needs a firm grip... Otherwise, you are just pointing and it won't matter what you have on the gun. I have a holosun micro green on one of my handguns, no not my carry, and it definitely does take practice. BUT, if the gun has correct cut for the reflex, you CAN see the front iron sight and the holosun has rudimentary rear. But it dang takes a ton of practice to get it on target every time. But lasers.... I've one on several carry guns. They are red, and I'll be honest, they will be good for inside or night. Outside in daylight they are next to worthless. And I don't care who you are, trying to only use laser in day would be real risky. The issue is that the iron sights and the red laser WILL match up. A reflex doesn't match up. Trying to see a red laser in the day is not quick. Ymmv, but iron is really best option

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

M-Tecs
05-20-2022, 09:54 PM
What are you talking about? Whether or not you have an optic on your handgun or not, you have to see the sights and there is really not that much difference in looking through a reflex sight or at your iron sights.

I can not comment how it works for other people only myself. For me it is vastly different. I have 30 plus years of serious level competition in Match rifle and Service rifle out to a 1,000 yards with iron sights and a fair amount of NRA Bullseye Pistol competition. I have a very good understanding of what a sight picture needs to be. As my eyes aged I lost the ability to see the front sight unless I am wearing my custom ground shooting glasses. Not a good thing for a carry gun. With the red/green dots I have zero issues with seeing the dot clearly. I do focus on the target and the dot is clearly superimposed on the target.

First time a picked up a red dot I tried finding the dot. That was slow and problematic. Second time I picked up the red dot I did normal iron sight alignment and the dot appears just above the front sight. Since I don't have to align the front and rear it's way quicker for me. Unlike aligning the front and rear that requires the front sight to be the focus point I can focus on the target and even if the dot is not clear alignment issues are not an issue since the dot will be the point of impact if I break the shot properly.

I first scoped a handgun in 1976 and I do agree that the optic sights that are NOT co-witnessed with the iron sights due to their size and high can be slower to acquirer the sight picture. Properly setup and used for me dots are way quicker than aligning a front and rear sight.

Sasquatch-1
05-21-2022, 07:03 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but all the red dot style sights I have seen have to be turned on, on the sight. Unless you are going into a known situation where the sight will be needed, how would a red dot be an advantage in a spur of the moment street fight situation? My opinion (and I know the saying about opinions) is in a street situation for self-defense a red dot is worthless. I could see it in an in-home situation where you have time to turn it on before you search your house but not on the street.

winelover
05-21-2022, 07:18 AM
More and more red dot sights are going to the "shake awake feature" Some Sig red dots have this, some don't. Trijicon red dots that I've used, since the early 80's are always on, at least the ones with the tritium element. Trijicons use to not have rheostats.........fully auto automatic, light compensating. That's why the military uses them. I won't purchase red dot sights for defensive or hunting firearms that have to be turned on. The Romeo 1 that came standard on my Sig P-320 RX Compact has been on since I purchased it, almost five years ago. I just replaced the battery, this Spring.

Winelover

M-Tecs
05-21-2022, 04:05 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but all the red dot style sights I have seen have to be turned on, on the sight. Unless you are going into a known situation where the sight will be needed, how would a red dot be an advantage in a spur of the moment street fight situation? My opinion (and I know the saying about opinions) is in a street situation for self-defense a red dot is worthless. I could see it in an in-home situation where you have time to turn it on before you search your house but not on the street.

The Holosun and many others have the "shake awake feature" with a 50,000 battery life at at the low setting. I run mine at a medium setting so just to be safe I switch batteries at the two year mark. My Holosun HE507C-GR X2 Green Dot has a solor panel on it also. https://gunmagwarehouse.com/holosun-he507c-gr-2-open-reflex-green-sight.html

Designed for competition shooters and concealed-carry applications, the Holosun® HE507C-GR X2 Green Dot Open Reflex Sight is compact and lightweight, making it the perfect companion for your optics-ready pistol. The durable, precision-machined, and hard-coat anodized 7075 T6 aluminum housing easily shrugs off heavy recoil, while the streamlined design offers an exceptionally smooth draw and holstering. Featuring Holosun’s Multi-Reticle System, this versatile green dot allows you to choose your favored reticle (2 MOA dot, or 32 MOA circle) for enhanced reliability, while 12 brightness settings (10 daylight; 2 night vision) deliver exceptional clarity in any lighting. Shake Awake™ technology automatically activates the red dot when it detects motion for instant, hands-free activation, and automatically powers down the unit when the weapon is idle. Solar Failsafe™ technology harnesses the sun’s energy to power the unit in daylight environments, conserving battery life for overcast or low-light conditions. Operating on a single CR1632 battery (included), the HE507C-GR X2 Green Dot offers an impressive 50,000-hour battery life (lowest setting). Plus, multilayer reflective glass lenses deflect stray light away from your eye for exceptional clarity and reduced eye fatigue.

sharps4590
05-22-2022, 06:56 AM
What are you talking about? Whether or not you have an optic on your handgun or not, you have to see the sights and there is really not that much difference in looking through a reflex sight or at your iron sights. And every handgun needs a firm grip... Otherwise, you are just pointing and it won't matter what you have on the gun.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

IF you shoot enough, at close "combat" ranges you won't even be aware the handgun even has sights.....of any kind.

M-Tecs
05-22-2022, 02:02 PM
IF you shoot enough, at close "combat" ranges you won't even be aware the handgun even has sights.....of any kind.

Maybe if the only thing you shoot are close "combat" ranges but in my personal experience for 600,000 plus rounds fired I have yet to take a shot without a sight picture and a specific aiming point. I did play with hip shooting as a kid but I gave that up as a waste of ammo when I was 15 or 16. When I shot cowboy action it never ceased to amaze me when someone would celebrate their first clean match after years and years of shooting cowboy actioning. In the years that I shot it I missed one shot total.

I started reading the Massad Ayoob files in the American Handgunner starting with issue #1 in the mid-70's. The one fact that always stood out to me was the LE that were competitive shooters tended to do very well in gunfights. At a minimum they all remembered seeing the front sight.

I was at a combat handgun training class where the instructor (who was the lead LE instructor for a very large police force) was pushing point shooting without sights to a relatively inexperienced group of shooters. When I disagreed he came unglued. I suggested a shoot off at the 7 yard target. He agreed and stated he was going to humiliate me. Yes, he always got the first shot off but I always got the first hit. A couple of his first shots hit five feet in front of the target at 21 feet. His other students openly laughed at him. He was not happy with me.

thadfz
05-22-2022, 08:13 PM

This is truth right here. You will have ZERO use for sights at the distances we’re talking about. My 7 year old could hit targets with her eyes closed at real defense distances. In my opinion, if you’re not that close but shooting at people you’ll be behind bars for quite a long time.
Range use and of course hunting with handguns are a completely different story. Optics are preferred in those situations.

If you’re being honest with yourself, arms length distance and actually scared for your life, you’ll never see any sight. Period

Edit, auto correct got me!

gc45
05-22-2022, 09:01 PM
I use bifocal glasses. Totally a personal thing here but if taking the time to look at the sites you are already in trouble if the perp is also is armed and pointing his weapon..I have a laser grips on my DW 1911 and using a draw and shoot posture I see no measurable difference between the two sites on a 20yd target..

M-Tecs
05-22-2022, 09:48 PM
This is truth right here. You will have ZERO use for sights at the distances we’re talking about. My 7 year old could hit targets with her eyes closed at real defense distances. In my opinion, if you’re not that close but shooting at people you’ll be behind bars for quite a long time.

For a knife the 21 foot rules has been moved back to 28 feet in recent LE and SD training and actual court cases. When someone is actually threating your life with a firearm distance is not a facture. It may be at 2 feet or 200 feet or more. I spend a lot of time on the range and it's common to watch people miss full size human silhouette targets at 21 feet.

Some good points about distance here https://www.guns.com/news/2012/12/22/the-truth-about-point-shooting. Under three yards you have much different concerns and sighting requirements. Semi-auto's tend to have function issues when jammed into the ribs and in that close your extended arm can be blocked so yes in some cases sights are not practical or desirable. That doesn't change the fact that in most documented actual justified shootings the people that remembered using a sight picture had much better hits and successful outcome. The ability to see the sights or laser dot is very important.

Idaho45guy
05-23-2022, 07:40 PM
Red dots are great for helping new shooters build confidence.

Went to the family cabin this weekend and had my daughter shoot an AR Pistol with a red dot, then a Glock G19 with a red dot, and then the P365 with irons. She was hitting the bullseye with every shot with the red dots, then was familiar enough the recoil and blast to concentrate on the sights by the time she shot the P365.

She hadn't shot a gun since she was 14. 13 years ago.

gwpercle
05-23-2022, 07:57 PM
Although I'm now blind in one eye and half-blind in the other and any handgun I wish to hit anything with past spitting distance needs to have a Red Dot sight on it ... I'm still leary of betting my life on a battery . I have found a open sight that I can use , wide rear notch & painted partridge or a wide shallow vee rear notch with fiber optic front , that I can hit softball sized targets with at 17 yards .
Battery powered things have always made me nervous ...red dots ain't got no jumper cables in emergency situations ... and from experience ...things happen...
... F-A-S-T !
Love the red dot ...don't love the battery .
I can do fairly well point shooting ... Bill Jordon is very inspiring and might be the answer to old damaged eyes and stayin alive .
Gary

gunrunner5.56
05-26-2022, 01:57 PM
I have decided to give the romeo zero a try, I am still on the fence if I am gonna be able to adapt easily

onelight
05-28-2022, 09:43 AM
I put off sights that relied on batteries as long as I could. I can still see some handgun sights in bright light but need reading glasses in most inside light .
For a CC red dot I wanted a sight that would co-witness with iron sights , not need to be manually turned on , I wanted a glass lens and a metal body.
The combination of the Hellcat and the Hex Wasp is what I picked . I have about 8 months on it and 600 rounds , with the sight on the Hellcat .
The Wasp is always on and auto dimming . So far so good.
When I bring it up to shoot I go for the iron sights they are easy to see , and the red dot is on target.
I don't know if there is a perfect combination for old eyes but this is working for me.

onelight
05-28-2022, 09:51 AM
Here are some pics of the Hell cat and A p365 another sweet little CC.

Idaho45guy
05-28-2022, 04:48 PM
Here are some pics of the Hell cat and A p365 another sweet little CC.

That's a nice setup! Seems as compact as possible for carry gun with a red dot.

FrankJD
05-29-2022, 07:38 PM
Red dots and pistols, really helped my old eyes for shooting. Ruger American, Vortex Venom.

https://i.imgur.com/tIUbjdu.jpg