PDA

View Full Version : Tough Decision.....Opinions Welcomed

hawkenhunter50
05-19-2022, 12:47 AM
So my 2 sons both shoot high school trap. Last year my oldest made nationals and we drove 10+ hours to Mason MI. My younger son has been talking ever since of his chances of making it this year. Well he ended up outshooting his older brother this year and was consistently top 3 each week on the team. Tonight he shot his 1st 25. Last year he was in novice category, this year he is shooting varsity and is in 9th grade.

I am guessing he is going to get invited to nationals based on his grades and his shooting average. My problem is and with the current price of diesel I am having a hard time justifying the trip. At current prices it will be close to 700 just in fuel. Then several nights lodging and food. Then the other side of me kicks in and argues it's a possibly once in a lifetime chance to go. He put in a lot of work to improve his shooting.

There's always next year but who knows what next year could bring. This is driving me crazy. What would you all do if he were to get invited?

cwtebay
05-19-2022, 12:57 AM
Go. Period.
Pick up cans, sell your junk, get another job or have him get a part time job - do whatever you can to make that happen.
Your son has excelled at something that he apparently has a knack for and enjoys. You will NEVER get this opportunity back. Seize it!!!
Money slips through the hands like water, the experiences that you have with your children are tattooed on your very soul. Show your kids that sacrifice is worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

beechbum444
05-19-2022, 01:03 AM
go........I have no children, but I have a collegiate shooting background and we all hope that our scores stay the same or rise, Just like in life, one cannot predict the future, scores, technique and all the other things in ones life have to line up perfectly to be able to maintain that level......and being able as a father to share that, contribute to that from a father aspect could be a once in a lifetime chance.........go

sigep1764
05-19-2022, 01:21 AM
Sell a rifle on here auction style. Do the math on renting a compact car, see if its cheaper. Get the kids mowing lawns. Substitute birthday presents for the trip. Whatever you do, show those boys that hard work, practice, and determination can provide opportunities.

knifemaker
05-19-2022, 01:24 AM
Take the kid to the match. yes it may cost where you have to tighten the belt for a short while, but in the long run it can save you money. That son may get good enough to win a college scholarship for his trap shooting and you save money on his future education. The boy has earned it by busting his butt to get that good, do not make him think his hard work was for nothing.

poppy42
05-19-2022, 01:31 AM
Are you kidding? Of coarse you go! Take it from someone, who raised 2 sons, and didn’t go, missed opportunities. Maybe not the exact same scenario but it doesn’t really matter what it was for, the specific details were different but the pros and cons were the same. The funds were low, seems more important to work than it was to spend the time and money to take my son someplace. If my post seems a little vague it’s on purpose. I have a hard time thinking about it let alone discussing the details on the forum. The point is even if it doesn’t seam bother you son, maybe he knows and understands the situation. YOU will never forgive yourself!!!! He is only going to be the age he is now, once in his life! To quote an old saying”beg, borrow, steal!” What ever it takes.
Sincerely , Good luck in your Decision

hawkenhunter50
05-19-2022, 01:34 AM
Very good points everyone has made so far. 1 other key point I forgot to mention.....the week before nationals is the state shoot which I am taking them to. It is a 3 hour drive and a nights lodging.

My gut is telling me to go also but they do not do a very good job spacing out the state and national shoots.

M-Tecs
05-19-2022, 01:34 AM
There is no guarantee that tomorrow will come. I've lost 9 friends in the last 2 years. For longer trips like that I found it's cheaper to rent a fuel-efficient vehicle and you have no wear and tear on yours.

JimB..
05-19-2022, 04:01 AM
Eventually we all wish that we’d had more time and more experiences with our children, the money doesn’t matter. The only question is how to make it happen.

Driver man
05-19-2022, 04:42 AM
If you can afford it then go.

Frosty Boolit
05-19-2022, 05:22 AM
You might regret not going but you will never regret making that trip. The boy will remember it for a lifetime and you will too.

fastdadio
05-19-2022, 06:03 AM
For longer trips like that I found it's cheaper to rent a fuel-efficient vehicle and you have no wear and tear on yours.

^^^ This ^^^
Every mile has costs.
Start soliciting for sponsors. I have friends that support motocross kids. It's very expensive, and this is how they do it.
Start making the rounds to local gun shops and sporting goods outlets. Take their gpa transcrips and past shooting scores with you to show their accomplishments to date. After you complete a reasonable local radius around your area, go on line. Call the NRA to inquire about support for the youth shooting programs, ask for leads for possible sponsors from them. They might have ideas for contacts. You have to get out there and sell yourself and them.
If you find yourself in Mason again, shout me a PM, it's only about 10 miles from me. I'll do a little poking around myself. If I find any leads, I'll send a PM.

Randy Bohannon
05-19-2022, 06:40 AM
You make it happen for your Son, only you can gauge his outlook and accomplishments and know has this Son of mine done his part ? I would say he has.
The renting of the car is a great idea and have done it my self or maybe even trade with a family member or friend for the duration of the event.

pworley1
05-19-2022, 06:51 AM
Find a way and go.

Jsm180
05-19-2022, 07:05 AM
Go with your gut, if you don't go, you will regret it the rest of your life.

Plenty of options for funding, just takes a little work.

05-19-2022, 07:06 AM
Look at Airline ticket prices—-they are pretty cheap if bought in advance. Just do not change your plans after you buy the ticket, unless it is on a carrier that does not charge “change fees” that are too high. The air fare will save you at least one day of travel time.

farmbif
05-19-2022, 07:20 AM
I would do whatever it takes too make it happen for the kids and I'll bet they are all in on getting involved, maybe set up a go fund me account, try to find sponsors, sell whatever if that's what it takes.

Sasquatch-1
05-19-2022, 07:29 AM
First off for the state shoot see if you can get together with another parent and share the ride and expenses. This may also work for the nationals. Check your local gun clubs. I belong to an Issaac Walton League chapter, and we have had parents bring their kids in to request support for different projects. If you use a local small service station for fuel, you may even ask the manager if he could throw in a little help with a tank of fuel. It may feel a little demeaning to go out begging, but if your son does extremely well these people will not hesitate to put up signs in their windows stating they supported him.

buckwheatpaul
05-19-2022, 07:52 AM
So my 2 sons both shoot high school trap. Last year my oldest made nationals and we drove 10+ hours to Mason MI. My younger son has been talking ever since of his chances of making it this year. Well he ended up outshooting his older brother this year and was consistently top 3 each week on the team. Tonight he shot his 1st 25. Last year he was in novice category, this year he is shooting varsity and is in 9th grade.

I am guessing he is going to get invited to nationals based on his grades and his shooting average. My problem is and with the current price of diesel I am having a hard time justifying the trip. At current prices it will be close to 700 just in fuel. Then several nights lodging and food. Then the other side of me kicks in and argues it's a possibly once in a lifetime chance to go. He put in a lot of work to improve his shooting.

There's always next year but who knows what next year could bring. This is driving me crazy. What would you all do if he were to get invited?

Hawkenhunter50...go but consider renting a suv that will get better gas mileage and still tote all the necessary equipment....you will regret it if you dont go IMHO.

Rapier
05-19-2022, 07:59 AM
If you can, in any way, go. Very rarely do you get a chance to create a real memory, their memory, with your kids.

My son made it to be the state IHMSA Junior champion, I was his spotter. You can not replace that memory.

GhostHawk
05-19-2022, 08:03 AM
He earned it, GO!

MUSTANG
05-19-2022, 08:04 AM
Many have provided some good ideas; but going a slightly different direction - If you are a Church member; see if your Church has a congregation in the competition area and if someone will host you and your son/s. If not are there organizations you can reach out to for the same sponsorship (lodging with a family in the area). Think rotary, elks, moose, VFW, American Legion, and... Often times we in our modern society have focused on the $$ rather than the people and the experience of caring/giving/sharing. As an example; we have two extra bedrooms and 3 Travel Trailers at the Montana house we have the Kids & Grandkids stay in when the come visit - others may be in same position at the competition site.

jsizemore
05-19-2022, 08:13 AM
The more familiar you are with a bigger stage, the better your results.

Some youngin's in my area have gotten college scholarships from exposure at the nationals.

bedbugbilly
05-19-2022, 08:25 AM
You need to take your son . . . not only for his sake but your's as well.

If it is school sponsored team . . why not approach the service clubs in your area for some possible funding support? Kiwanis, American Legion, VFW, Masonic Lodge, Eagles, etc. These are tough times . . . but there are probably a lot in your community who would be happy to toss some in a pot to help make it possible for your son to go.

You are a great Dad and you have some great sons. When I was a kid, I lost out on a couple of opportunities because "life got in the way". I understood the "why" of my Dad not being able to do some things . . . but I would have given anything to have had the time with the family and especially my Dad. Yea, I understood and was fine with it but those times can never be enjoyed once they are lost. I'm old now and Dad has been gone 27 years but it's the things we did together that keeps him alive in my heart.

You'll find a way and you enjoy those fine kids.

contender1
05-19-2022, 08:38 AM
It's been said often,, that at the end of our lives,, as we reflect back,, we remember the things we DIDN'T do,, more often than the things we did. Yet,, those we love remember the things we DID do together,, rather than the things of regret.

Yes,, it sux about the expenses,, but find a way & GO!!!!!!!

Sasquatch-1
05-19-2022, 08:43 AM
Another possibility would be the school's booster clubs. They should be willing to put in a few bucks for an outstanding student in both his sport and his grades.

John Guedry
05-19-2022, 08:48 AM
I think ya'll should go. Good kids deserve to get rewarded,it sounds like he's an excellent example of a great one.

georgerkahn
05-19-2022, 08:50 AM
Go. Period.
Pick up cans, sell your junk, get another job or have him get a part time job - do whatever you can to make that happen.
Your son has excelled at something that he apparently has a knack for and enjoys. You will NEVER get this opportunity back. Seize it!!!
Money slips through the hands like water, the experiences that you have with your children are tattooed on your very soul. Show your kids that sacrifice is worth it.

I could not write my opinion better than cwtebay did -- GO!!!! Also, albeit I am a 100%-NO-credit-card person generally, hey -- if $$$'s were really tight, I'd use one CC for Essence; a 2nd for lodging; and whatever cash for food & fun!
geo

Handloader109
05-19-2022, 08:56 AM
I'm guessing your diesel gets about 10mpg from what you have said. Rent, or borrow a SUV, most are getting 25 to 30mpg and that alone cuts fuel by $500. Obviously rental will cut into most ofthat, but you should be able to save a couple of hundred. But yes go. And DO look for sponsors. I'd bet you can get most or all of the trip subsidized. I would even go so far as to contact tv stations. They are always looking for stories, and not everything local is lib city. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Handloader109
05-19-2022, 08:58 AM
Let us know when he does get invited. I'd bet a lot of us WILL chip in a few bucks via our favorite money apps.

Wayne Smith
05-19-2022, 09:49 AM
Absolutely go. You will regret it if you don't - and start recruiting support and saving now for future years, he's a freshman, I think you said. You have years of future competitions to plan for.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-19-2022, 10:05 AM
If you can afford it, I'm guessing you can, but will likely dip into the family savings a bit more than you like...I think most of us here are in that boat...anyway, like everyone already said, you gotta do it.

Now if you can't afford this???
Then I think Mustang has a GREAT idea. What a great experience it could be, to connect with a like minded stranger through your church or other civic organization...maybe even the Lions club, those folks have yearly conventions and such, so many members are connected to other members out of State...Or your College alumni? just thinking out of the box here.

Many have provided some good ideas; but going a slightly different direction - If you are a Church member; see if your Church has a congregation in the competition area and if someone will host you and your son/s. If not are there organizations you can reach out to for the same sponsorship (lodging with a family in the area). Think rotary, elks, moose, VFW, American Legion, and... Often times we in our modern society have focused on the $$ rather than the people and the experience of caring/giving/sharing. As an example; we have two extra bedrooms and 3 Travel Trailers at the Montana house we have the Kids & Grandkids stay in when the come visit - others may be in same position at the competition site.

memtb
05-19-2022, 10:05 AM
As many have said……Go! If at all possible, make the trip….. life has no guarantees. You have only a brief time with your kids before they are grown and gone! memtb

sparky45
05-19-2022, 10:15 AM
Hey; I'd chip in my $10 weekly lottery money to help out, just let me know where to sent the funds.

Soundguy
05-19-2022, 10:42 AM
Go. Period.

Agreed... go. sell something if needed.. but go.

cwtebay
05-19-2022, 10:45 AM
Just a thought here - maybe start an auction here for something that is in addition to your needs. Make sure to point out what the auction benefits.
Sometimes it takes a village....

Alstep
05-19-2022, 10:47 AM
Go! All great advise and comments so far.
I'm sure a lot of folks here would be willing to chip in to a fund. I know I would.

redriverhunter
05-19-2022, 10:53 AM
my daughter used to compete in Judo, this got expensive. Sometimes we would have to a get a room and a one day event would end up being 350.00 plus. I would be willing to kick in a few bucks in for your son to go.

gwpercle
05-19-2022, 10:55 AM
No ...never depend on next year
Do It ...bite the bullet , spend the money , make the trip ...Once in a Life Time ...and
The Boy has more than earned it .
The memories you will make on these trips are Priceless ... $700 for priceless time spent and priceless memories ... Heck Yeah You Had Better Go On That Trip !
Don't even think about not going ...life is too danged short and children grow up and move off so danged quick ... it makes me sad to think of the one or two times I didn't do something with my kids and now they are all grown and gone ... don't pass up any opprotunity to be with your children .
Gary

country gent
05-19-2022, 10:59 AM
Youve supported and backed him up to this point dont stop now continue Go if he is offered the chance. Do what you have to to make it work. This experience will be memorable to both of you and you dont want to miss out on it.

Explore the different ways mentioned here in this post. Also you might stop in the Local sporting goods stores gun shops to see if they will offer sponsorship's or help, most will for the chance to promote the sports in a good light.

Springfield
05-19-2022, 11:20 AM
I have an 18 year old son and a 20 year old daughter. I took them both to Karate lessons for years, and both were pretty good and usually came in first or second at the competitions. Yes, it was expensive and I had to give up buying and doing other things, but it was worth it, as now both can say they earned their Black Belts(my daughter earned a Second degree belt as she stayed with it longer). I also went on most of my son's Boy Scout camp-outs, at least the ones that involved hiking, and also become an Assistant Scoutmaster to help out. I just drove a 3 hour each way trip with my son so he could take a 2 day steam boiler class at the large Heritage Steam train railroad up north. He loves steam trains and is actually doing something about it. I had to kill time for 2 days as I wasn't in the class with him. Both my kids compete is cowboy shooting matches with me most of the matches for the last 10 years. Soon they will finish school and get jobs and interests of their own, and I am dreading it. So my advice is to go for it.
And to get the ball rolling I am going to auction off my Italian 1858 cap and ball revolver, with all proceeds going to help pay for your trip. Not a PIF, more of a pay it back to all the people who have helped me when things were difficult, and they were usually not family, but shooting friends. I will place the Auction later today, have to get to work now.

akajun
05-19-2022, 11:22 AM
In highpower / cmp our state associations sometimes help with expenses, idk if they have that for shotguns .
What about carpooling with another local shooter?

farmbif
05-19-2022, 11:53 AM
not exactly how to go about it all but I'd be willing to kick in some brass or bullets to be auctioned off to help y'all out. young people are only young once.

MrWolf
05-19-2022, 12:56 PM
Go and do not look back. Some of my best memories with my son were trap shooting and going to competitions. He took the Junior Hanicapp at the State match. His face and smile will always be with me in addition to the other experiences. Money cannot buy those, especially as we get older and they get busy with life. GO GO GO!

Ps and Congratulations

Ron

Char-Gar
05-19-2022, 01:15 PM
Go. Period.

This is the correct answer/opinion!

Gator 45/70
05-19-2022, 01:29 PM
I know 3 youg men whom scored college scholarships shooting skeet.
I'd spend the coin now to save later.

beezapilot
05-19-2022, 01:46 PM
They may not appreciate it now as much as they will later. I shot smallbore competition when I was a kid in high school, 40 some years later I still have a nice plaque hanging in my shop. I'm not sure who was prouder of that award, me or my dad. I vote go if will not create lasting hardship.

Fishman
05-19-2022, 03:08 PM
Go. Life is short and your time with your kids as kids is even shorter. Sell a gun you don't use, drive a cheap rental, stay in a crap motel, heck eat bologna sandwiches on the way. Some of my son's best stories are about when I did the best I could, things didn't go according to plan, but we still had fun.

Scrounge
05-19-2022, 03:24 PM
Are you kidding? Of coarse you go! Take it from someone, who raised 2 sons, and didn’t go, missed opportunities. Maybe not the exact same scenario but it doesn’t really matter what it was for, the specific details were different but the pros and cons were the same. The funds were low, seems more important to work than it was to spend the time and money to take my son someplace. If my post seems a little vague it’s on purpose. I have a hard time thinking about it let alone discussing the details on the forum. The point is even if it doesn’t seam bother you son, maybe he knows and understands the situation. YOU will never forgive yourself!!!! He is only going to be the age he is now, once in his life! To quote an old saying”beg, borrow, steal!” What ever it takes.
Sincerely , Good luck in your Decision

Agree! I deleted my post instead of posting it, too much bitterness towards my dad, and myself. Best if they go, even if they eat ramen noodles for weeks to finance it.

Bill

hawkenhunter50
05-19-2022, 04:04 PM
Guys thanks for all the ideas, lots of good ones suggested. I kinda figured what the responses would be but it's an overwhelming vote for go. I am short on time right now to reply to everyone who offered support but I will. I just wanted to say quick please don't start any auctions on my behalf. I really didn't start this looking for any financial help. It is awesome of all that offered that but I really couldn't accept money. All the good ideas for saving money and the comments about regretting not going are what I was after. I will get back to those who offered and say thank you a little later today. Plus to the fella that mentioned auctioning a 1858 Remington...........that might do more harm than good........I might end up paying for a new revolver and a trip to MI.....hahaha. I cannot say thank you enough guys. I also don't want to get ahead of myself. I still have to see if one or both even get invited. I'm just guessing based off of last year how my oldest shot and comparing his grades at the time, we will see.

Scrounge
05-19-2022, 05:04 PM
Let us know when he does get invited. I'd bet a lot of us WILL chip in a few bucks via our favorite money apps.

I'd be willing to contribute a pittance. Even dimes add up, and I could come up with a bit more than a dime. Maybe not much more, but some! ;)

dverna
05-19-2022, 05:30 PM
Go. Period.

I did not read any further.

The only thing I would add....how important is it to him? Is he willing to work to pay for part of the trip. I used to shoot trap competitively and it is a very costly sport. I used to give shells to some of the up and coming young shooters (also at Mason BTW).

Most young shooters drop out early. They discover cars and girls and once mom and dad stop footing the bill they cannot afford to shoot. My hope is some of them come back to the sport in their later years.

Good luck!!!

Plate plinker
05-19-2022, 06:25 PM
Go it’s a no brainer.

Plate plinker
05-19-2022, 06:29 PM
Very good points everyone has made so far. 1 other key point I forgot to mention.....the week before nationals is the state shoot which I am taking them to. It is a 3 hour drive and a nights lodging.

My gut is telling me to go also but they do not do a very good job spacing out the state and national shoots.

Still a go. Time never comes back and the memories are worth it.

FISH4BUGS
05-19-2022, 07:13 PM
My daughter went to Kenyon College and was an NCAA National Champion swimmer (sorry to sound like a proud papa). She got a full boat scholarship to Stanford for swimming but turned it down because she did not want to be a professional athlete for 4 years....she wanted a college education of some sort. She wound up going to Kenyon College in Ohio.
Kenyon was the NCAA D3 Champions something like 23 out of 27 years, and made the Nationals every year. Her mother and I (even though we were divorced) went to the Nationals every year to cheer her on.
We scraped and scrimped to make the tuition every year and it was even harder to make the cost of the Nationals.
Her best memories were of her time at college. She developed the discipline to set goals and work towards them.
The experience your son will get by working hard for a goal and making it happen will serve him for the rest of his days.
Do whatever you need to do to make it happen.
Do a GoFundMe page and let us know here where and what it is.
I am sure many of us will kick in a few bucks.

warren5421
05-19-2022, 10:52 PM
I have 3 kids and went to everything of theirs it was posible to do. My two girls were swimmers, not very good but they were out there and mom and dad was yelling at the top of our lungs. Just the other day my 52 year old was talking about a swim meet I don't remember but she does. My son, the baby, shot SASS for 10 years with me and still comes and wants the old guy to come out and target shoot. I took several kids over the years shooting went to their games and mets and just about every one has something to say if they see me out and about. They all do with their kids because someone showed them that someone carried enough about them and valued them as a person.

GO and don't look back. The good lord will provide.

reddog81
05-19-2022, 11:00 PM
I was looking at a trip to Florida. It would be about 1400 miles or 20 hour drive each way. Girlfriend wanted to take the Sprinter van so we could bring the dogs and have a place to sleep while traveling. I calculated fuel costs at about $900. Taking our car would cost about $350.

You should to knock quite a bit off the costs if you can switch to a more fuel efficient vehicle.

poppy42
05-19-2022, 11:05 PM
Agree! I deleted my post instead of posting it, too much bitterness towards my dad, and myself. Best if they go, even if they eat ramen noodles for weeks to finance it.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I kinda know some of what you posted- from your brother.

Take care
Ray

poppy42
05-19-2022, 11:08 PM
Cash I don’t have but Someone posted about chipping in for an auction! Count me in if you go that route! I can come up with something be it brass or whatever just send me a PM if you desire to go that route

Bmi48219
05-20-2022, 02:44 AM
GO and don't look back. The good lord will provide.

^This^

Rapier
05-20-2022, 03:42 PM
No one has mentioned this, but many aircraft owners I know are shooters and hunters. They fly to make their hours of flight time also. If you know an aircraft owner just ask, they may surprise you. A lot of those guys do transport to hospitals, etc. you could contact the local FBO and ask if they know a pilot that might participate.

Shawlerbrook
05-20-2022, 03:45 PM
You cannot put a price of sharing things like this with your children. If you can swing it without sacrificing important essentials, then go !!

shooterg
05-20-2022, 05:08 PM
Maybe someone at a car rental place is a shooter and will cut a real deal on the rental ?

hawkenhunter50
05-20-2022, 07:39 PM
Well I have a few more details to figure out but I am going to try and make this trip happen, provided they get the invite. I booked a hotel so that is out of the way. I had a good conversation with my youngest son about it today. Thanks to everyone for all the ideas and the offers of helping out. My plan is to auction off a few things. Will be getting that figured out here in the next few days. I will list the auctions here. Still need to talk to my wife and oldest son about it also, but should be good there. Hopefully in a month and a half you'll be hearing a good range report!!

slownsteady22
05-20-2022, 08:57 PM
Congrats on raising a pair of fine marksman. Good luck to them and you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Wag
05-22-2022, 08:54 AM
Glad to hear you're going to make it happen and that you've recruited your son to throw down with you. The advice in the thread is all good and true.

--Wag--

Kimber1911
05-22-2022, 09:26 AM
You have to go

hawkenhunter50
06-01-2022, 07:44 PM
Well the youngest son got the official invite today. Made Tier 1 with a season average of 21.7. Came in 2nd on his team. Wife got his registration completed tonight. Will be waiting to hear if the oldest makes it. He finished the season with a 20.3 average so if he makes it, it will be tier 2 the way I understand it.

Another bit of good news is the team finished in 1st place in their conference this year. The coaches and the kids are all doing a good job. They got a lot of kids shooting much better. Lots of 25 rounds this season and lots of 20+ rounds being scored.