PDA

View Full Version : Need to improve my consistency...

namsag
05-18-2022, 06:13 PM
This is my first go with a SAECO M881 double cavity mould I bought some time ago off this forum but am just starting to use. It is a lot nicer to use than some of the "economy" brands I have! Anyway, I ladle cast these from 1:24, started out too hot and had to dial it down. Came away with 67 bullets for this first session, distributed as below. The tallest column is 503.2 grains. I decided to keep everything in the large cluster to the right, from 503.0 - 503.9 grains. This gave me 45 keepers out of the 67, I figure a one grain total distribution should be good to start load development at 200 yds in my High Wall (.45-70). I wish more were in the range!

Now these things mike at .461, I was a little surprised they are that large. The High Wall slugs at .4575 in the grooves, I guess I will have to find out whether it likes .459 or .460.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Frosty Boolit
05-18-2022, 08:05 PM
I worry more about percentage variation. 1 grain out of 500 is a .2%

Drew P
05-18-2022, 08:20 PM
I worry more about percentage variation. 1 grain out of 500 is a .2%

Exactly, with the majority pictured being within .1%. This is good enough

Land Owner
05-19-2022, 05:53 AM
Five pounds of alloy cast. One and one-half pounds of alloy returned to the pot.
New mold. New opportunities. Put 50-pounds through the mold. Cast a BUNCH. Practice makes perfect.

At 500 grains, plus or minus, slight differences in weight, meh. Not to worry.
Fit is King. There is a lot more than weight in the casting+reloading+shooting equation of many variables.

Shoot a few. See if your barrel likes them. Change powder. Shoot a few more.
Do they look good? Shoot 'em. It is the ONLY way to tell.
Don't sweat the small stuff and it is ALL small stuff.

charlie b
05-19-2022, 04:28 PM
I'd say you have probably the best consistency you will get unless you get really picky about it.

I consider 1gn a decent 'window' for acceptable cast bullets for my rifle. Outside that window they go back in the pot. I then sort those into 0.1 or 0.3gn batches. If I want to try for personal records then 0.1gn matched bullets are what I use. For 'everyday' stuff 0.3gn spread is ok.

Pistols and plinking stuff isn't weighed. Just cast, powder coat, size, shoot.

Most important is a good fill out and square base.

GregLaROCHE
05-21-2022, 04:01 PM
It all depends on what kind of accuracy you are looking for. As far as my needs for 500 grain slugs, a couple of grains either way is not a big deal. If you have some really light ones, they may be best tossed back in the pot.