PDA

View Full Version : 416 Rigby

Herb in Pa
01-12-2006, 11:51 PM
I was at the range today and was talking to a shooting buddy who has been haggling with the West Virginia Cabella's store over a custom 416 Rigby built on a Brevex (sp) mauser action. Long story short...he finally bought it and now is looking for an appropriate mold and load data. Any advice from the group??

onceabull
01-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Herb in Pa: Your acq. apparently has great taste and the funds to supply it..BruceB will doubtless be along with loading info..... Onceabull

Frank46
01-13-2006, 03:53 AM
Herb, saeco/redding makes or usta make a 416 mold, don't know if its still a current mold. Or try NEI in texas. Frank

versifier
01-13-2006, 04:14 PM
I would be thinking about a good recoil pad before I did anything else. :shock: One shot from a .416 Rigby some years ago cured my curiosity of rifles in that class, but with cast and reduced loads maybe it would be safe to get curious again.

BruceB
01-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Herb;

My .416 Rigby is only a humble #1 Ruger, but I reckon my load data doesn't much care what rifle it gets used in.

My ONLY mould for the cartridge is the RCBS 416-350, and it has worked splendidly for me. In my wheelweight alloy it casts at 365 grains, and is BARELY touched by a .417" RCBS sizing die. I do sorta wish it was a thousandth or two larger, but it's hard to argue with the results. For the vast majority of my .416 shooting, I water-drop the WW boolits from the mould, and they shoot without visible leading. For some special purposes, I've also run PURE LEAD versions at 2000 fps without leading, and also I have created dual-alloy bullets for hunting, with pure-lead noses and WW-metal shanks (from the crimp groove back).

I have fired this RCBS boolit with everything from small charges of Unique to full-case loads of IMR 4831, with good success in all cases after some experimenting. Any charge which leaves much appreciable airspace in the capacious case gets a dacron tuft to keep the powder back against the flash hole. Note that this is a LOOSE tuft, just big enough to comfortably fill the airspace without being tightly compacted.

So....all of the following loads use the RCBS 365-grain bullet, fired from Norma brass. and using standard Large Rifle primers in most loads. None of the loads were really tweaked intensively, as I was mostly looking for safe levels from which to work in further research. All listed cast-boolit loads were perfectly safe in my rifle, with no signs of excessive pressure. ALL, except the 4831 loads, use dacron fill!

-IMR 4198, from 40.0 grains to 48.0 grains. The 40.0 charge yielded 1588 fps average, Extreme Spread of 30 fps. I raised this charge in 2-grain increments up to 48.0 grains, where the average speed was 1865 and ES was 58 fps. This 48.0 load put ten rounds in one inch at fifty yards. This charge could still be increased.

-44.0 IMR 4064 gave 1373 fps, ES 41.

-XMP 5744 has been my most-used powder to date, including the hunting soft-point cast-boolit loads I took to Alberta back in October '05. 55.0 XMP 5744 gives 2088 fps with an extreme spread of 4.9 fps, that is FOUR decimal NINE ES for a five-round sample. Remember now, these loads are all using dacron fill. 40.0 5744 gives speeds in the 1800-fps area. The 55.0/5744 charge is not maximum, and I've never (yet) bothered to work up to maximum with any of the listed powders. The .416 is awesomely effective even at these reduced levels, believe me.

-With IMR 4831, 100.0 grains (easy to remember, that load, a nice 'round' figure) the 365 departs from my rifle at 2540 fps average, ES 48 fps. NO DACRON in this one. For foot-pounds of energy, this one's a bit above the ancient 1912 factory load of 410 @ 2370....and yes, the recoil pad is highly desireable. I have used as much as 120/IMR4831 with a 300-grain Barnes X-bullet, but got slightly-sticky extraction and velocity right at 3000 fps....what an elk load THAT would be, with a trajectory about like that of a 165/.300 H&H!

-Using 2400 powder, I got hangfires until the charge was raised to about the 26.0 -grain level, where the speed was 1350 with 37 fps ES. Five rounds grouped in 0.55" at fifty yards with the 26.0 load. At 34.0/2400, speed was 1602 and ES was 34 fps.

-At the request of another poster, I did a series with Unique powder as well. At 22.0 grains, velocity ran 1353 and ES was only 15 fps. Raising the charge ONE grain at a time, I eventually stopped at 28.0 grains, where the speed was averaging 1530 and ES was pretty high, at 115 fps. Five rounds of the 28.0 load grouped in 1.4"/50 yards. He wanted plinking loads, and I reckon these would serve.

That should give you some places from which to start. Again, remember that dacron was used in almost every load listed. The RCBS bullet is a dandy in my book, and I recommend it highly. The Rigby is a very interesting and entertaining round to work with, and you won't find one on the next-bench-over very often. I have a lot more loading to do for test purposes with this cartridge, and I'm looking forward to it. Of course, I ALSO plan to build a standing benchrest for Der Schuetzenwagen, to minimize the "discomfort" sometimes encountered with the more ambitious loads.

Herb in Pa
01-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks Bruce...........I shall certainly share this data with him!

.38 Special
06-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I've semi-derailed another thread and wanted to pick BruceB's brain a bit more.

Essentially, as a .357 enthusiast I have an awful lot of Unique and 2400 on hand. The above listed Unique loads don't sound too promising, but I think I might give the 2400 a try. Did you stop at 34 grains for safety reasons, or simply because you had arrived at your destination?

94Doug
06-30-2008, 05:21 AM
I remember quite a few years back while looking for a Trapdoor, I stumbled on a Ruger #1, in 416 Rigby, and nearly bought it, then after not finding a Trapdoor, returned to another show the following weekend, saw the same Ruger. $350, if I recall correctly. Luckily, they also had some Trapdoors. I stopped at a gun store after the show, and the Rigby Ammo was $65 per 20!!

Doug

mstarling
07-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Wow ... a Rigby on a Brevex action ... am I envious!

I've taken a CZ550 in .416 Rigby to Africa twice. Have taken Gemsbock, Hartebeast, Bison and Cape Buffalo. Used the 350 gr Barnes X bullet at 2700 fps. Load is 98 gr IMR 4350 w 215 Fed primers on Norma cases. Recovered only one bullet ... a followup shot on the ground ... bullet entered the right rear ham, destroyed the huge femor, went through the gut completely and lodged in the front wall of the Buf's chest. Penetration was over 6 feet of Buffalo.

Have used commercial 400 gr cast bullets for practice. Load was 105 gr of H 8700. Fave the following chrono results:

SD 6.1 84F
MAD 18.5 Chrono B
ES 51.9
AVE 1997.2 3546 lb-ft

Rigby is a wonderful cartridge with lots of power and nostalgia!

Heavy lead
07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Herb;

My .416 Rigby is only a humble #1 Ruger, but I reckon my load data doesn't much care what rifle it gets used in.

My ONLY mould for the cartridge is the RCBS 416-350, and it has worked splendidly for me. In my wheelweight alloy it casts at 365 grains, and is BARELY touched by a .417" RCBS sizing die. I do sorta wish it was a thousandth or two larger, but it's hard to argue with the results. For the vast majority of my .416 shooting, I water-drop the WW boolits from the mould, and they shoot without visible leading. For some special purposes, I've also run PURE LEAD versions at 2000 fps without leading, and also I have created dual-alloy bullets for hunting, with pure-lead noses and WW-metal shanks (from the crimp groove back).

I have fired this RCBS boolit with everything from small charges of Unique to full-case loads of IMR 4831, with good success in all cases after some experimenting. Any charge which leaves much appreciable airspace in the capacious case gets a dacron tuft to keep the powder back against the flash hole. Note that this is a LOOSE tuft, just big enough to comfortably fill the airspace without being tightly compacted.

So....all of the following loads use the RCBS 365-grain bullet, fired from Norma brass. and using standard Large Rifle primers in most loads. None of the loads were really tweaked intensively, as I was mostly looking for safe levels from which to work in further research. All listed cast-boolit loads were perfectly safe in my rifle, with no signs of excessive pressure. ALL, except the 4831 loads, use dacron fill!

-IMR 4198, from 40.0 grains to 48.0 grains. The 40.0 charge yielded 1588 fps average, Extreme Spread of 30 fps. I raised this charge in 2-grain increments up to 48.0 grains, where the average speed was 1865 and ES was 58 fps. This 48.0 load put ten rounds in one inch at fifty yards. This charge could still be increased.

-XMP 5744 has been my most-used powder to date, including the hunting soft-point cast-boolit loads I took to Alberta back in October '05. 55.0 XMP 5744 gives 2088 fps with an extreme spread of 4.9 fps, that is FOUR decimal NINE ES for a five-round sample. Remember now, these loads are all using dacron fill. 40.0 5744 gives speeds in the 1800-fps area. The 55.0/5744 charge is not maximum, and I've never (yet) bothered to work up to maximum with any of the listed powders. The .416 is awesomely effective even at these reduced levels, believe me.

-With IMR 4831, 100.0 grains (easy to remember, that load, a nice 'round' figure) the 365 departs from my rifle at 2540 fps average, ES 48 fps. NO DACRON in this one. For foot-pounds of energy, this one's a bit above the ancient 1912 factory load of 410 @ 2370....and yes, the recoil pad is highly desireable. I have used as much as 120/IMR4831 with a 300-grain Barnes X-bullet, but got slightly-sticky extraction and velocity right at 3000 fps....what an elk load THAT would be, with a trajectory about like that of a 165/.300 H&H!

-Using 2400 powder, I got hangfires until the charge was raised to about the 26.0 -grain level, where the speed was 1350 with 37 fps ES. Five rounds grouped in 0.55" at fifty yards with the 26.0 load. At 34.0/2400, speed was 1602 and ES was 34 fps.

-At the request of another poster, I did a series with Unique powder as well. At 22.0 grains, velocity ran 1353 and ES was only 15 fps. Raising the charge ONE grain at a time, I eventually stopped at 28.0 grains, where the speed was averaging 1530 and ES was pretty high, at 115 fps. Five rounds of the 28.0 load grouped in 1.4"/50 yards. He wanted plinking loads, and I reckon these would serve.

That should give you some places from which to start. Again, remember that dacron was used in almost every load listed. The RCBS bullet is a dandy in my book, and I recommend it highly. The Rigby is a very interesting and entertaining round to work with, and you won't find one on the next-bench-over very often. I have a lot more loading to do for test purposes with this cartridge, and I'm looking forward to it. Of course, I ALSO plan to build a standing benchrest for Der Schuetzenwagen, to minimize the "discomfort" sometimes encountered with the more ambitious loads.

OK, I loaded up some rcbs 350 cast with ww with 45 grains of aa4064 fed 210 primers and dacron-not compressed but enough to be even with the edge of the case mouth when I seated the boolit. Just got back from the range, I didn't chrono these, just wanted to see if they would shoot-they did and seemed very mild, I'll load more up tonight and chrono in the morning. Just wanted to throw this out here to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. There seems to be a lot of leftover dacron scattered in the barrel after firing-not enough to block anything, just dirty, and the dacron was very visable when I pulled the trigger sort of like seeing a shotgun wad or a sabot. Is this normal. Should I stop and get some 5744, or proceed with load development?
I still got all 10, and both sets intact, just want to keep it that way.

Heavy lead
07-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Herb;

Bruce,
This was very helpful, appreciate the info very much. I didn't have great success with the xmr4064 I tried, wasn't terrible, but not quite accurate enough. I picked up some 5744 and am working up loads now. I'll let everyone know how it goes at the range tomorrow. I need to get some lead down the Ruger.