PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon - lee six station progressive press

Tom Myers
05-18-2022, 07:12 AM
I guess I am gonna be one of the first in line again.

LEE SIX STATION PROGRESSIVE PRESS

https://leeprecision.com/images/P/91918.jpg (https://leeprecision.com/SIX-PACK-RELOADING-PRESS.html)https://leeprecision.com/images/D/91823-HRes.jpg

Three44s
05-18-2022, 10:21 AM
Interesting!

The priming situation is a question. The new press reminds me of the Classic series and that is a solid platform as my Classic turret Press demonstrates.

My progressive is the LNL and five stations are good. But Lees “six” is better.

Three44s

nicholst55
05-18-2022, 11:24 AM
I will watch with interest to see how this pans out. As I have stated repeatedly Lee has some really good ideas, but the execution is sometimes lacking.

414gates
05-18-2022, 11:39 AM
This design is stronger than the loadmaster, the offset sizing station is pure genius.

Again, it all hinges on the priming. Lee are famous for making progressive presses that don't prime properly and selling a dedicated priming press instead of just making it work.

beechbum444
05-18-2022, 04:41 PM
im not knocking Lee, I have, use and like their products.....but isnt it a little late to enter the progressive press market what are the 2 additional stations for??? Ive been using a 550 Dillon for a long time with only 4 stations ????

Winger Ed.
05-18-2022, 05:43 PM
what are the 2 additional stations for???

Size, flare, powder drop, powder level checker, seat, and crimp would take 6 stations.

Drew P
05-18-2022, 08:24 PM
Size, flare, powder drop, powder level checker, seat, and crimp would take 6 stations.
And you forwent swage, bullet drop, trim, case drop,

Winger Ed.
05-18-2022, 11:37 PM
And you forwent swage, bullet drop, trim, case drop,

Well,,,,,,, 6 stations on one press may not be enough for all that.
It doesn't have room for a wash and a tumble station either.:bigsmyl2:

Three44s
05-18-2022, 11:58 PM
Well,,,,,,, 6 stations on one press may not be enough for all that.
It doesn't have room for a wash and a tumble station either.:bigsmyl2:

Well, it should include a setting for “delicates” as well ....... you know stuff like 22 hornet and such!

Three44s

414gates
05-19-2022, 10:32 AM
I find it very interesting that the press is made from steel, except the toolhead which is aluminium.

The last all steel press I know of was the Pro 2000 from RCBS.

414gates
05-19-2022, 02:54 PM
im not knocking Lee, I have, use and like their products.....but isnt it a little late to enter the progressive press market what are the 2 additional stations for??? Ive been using a 550 Dillon for a long time with only 4 stations ????

You can never have too many stations. Or too many reloading presses.

dverna
05-19-2022, 05:49 PM
Having a Mickey Mouse case feeder is not good. Hopefully they will have something suitable.

The weak area of most progressives is the priming system. It is so bad that in most machines that people end up priming off the machine. That is one area where Dillon eats their lunch. Every Dillon has a decent priming system.

Three44s
05-19-2022, 09:39 PM
Having a Mickey Mouse case feeder is not good. Hopefully they will have something suitable.

The weak area of most progressives is the priming system. It is so bad that in most machines that people end up priming off the machine. That is one area where Dillon eats their lunch. Every Dillon has a decent priming system.

...... and priming off the press cuts the advantage of progressive reloading in half.

Three44s

PrestoColumbus
05-19-2022, 10:57 PM
After seeing the Lee APP press and how finicky it is, I'm not optimistic. (remembering my dad launching cases across the room...:o)

I have a lot of Lee stuff, big fan. But if its anything like the APP it's gonna need some tweaking/tuning before it will work.

414gates
05-20-2022, 03:45 AM
From the picture, it looks like the primer slide runs past the shellplate carrier, with a channel bringing the primers in.

That, and no blast shield required indicates it's a re-worked priming system.

If this is a working progressive from Lee, there may be a few in my future.

Finster101
05-21-2022, 12:26 PM
Up until recently I was using Pro 1000s for all my reloading. I had four of them set up for different calibers. I was happy with everything except priming. Quite frankly the Lee priming system sucks. I still see no reason to change my opinion on that.

onelight
05-23-2022, 01:21 PM
I would like to have the six stations but I like the priming system on the auto breech lock pro better than I did the pro 1000 or the load master so I will probably not be a customer for the new press.
But I do look forward to seeing how it performs :)
With the app I can size when I de-prime before cleaning and that gives me another station on a 4 station press for the cases I use the progressive for, works great for my process.

GWS
05-24-2022, 01:51 AM
I can tell you that more than 5 stations can be extremely useful.....worth a little modding if it takes that to make it efficient and reliable. I decided I couldn't resist buying an RCBS seven station press, in spite of the bad press it got. ;) I've never been sorry. Just took a little tweaking and education and it works as smooth fast. At Lee's price point, it's probably worth a try, but I'd miss my station seven.

As for priming, I don't see what the problem is priming off press. I deprime on an APP and tumble and trim if rifle, before I load anyway.....just not important to me to do it all in one session on the progressive, even when I can.....and you can't, loading rifle unless you like trimming with the Dillon press trimmer and ear plugs. Doesn't look fun to me.

dverna
05-24-2022, 08:30 AM
I can tell you that more than 5 stations can be extremely useful.....worth a little modding if it takes that to make it efficient and reliable. I decided I couldn't resist buying an RCBS seven station press, in spite of the bad press it got. ;) I've never been sorry. Just took a little tweaking and education and it works as smooth fast. At Lee's price point, it's probably worth a try, but I'd miss my station seven.

As for priming, I don't see what the problem is priming off press. I deprime on an APP and tumble and trim if rifle, before I load anyway.....just not important to me to do it all in one session on the progressive, even when I can.....and you can't, loading rifle unless you like trimming with the Dillon press trimmer and ear plugs. Doesn't look fun to me.

Most people do not shoot enough rifle ammunition to justify using a progressive press. In my case, I have owned a Green Machine, three 1050's, a 650, two 550's and two SD's as well as a Star in .38 Spl. I have never loaded a rifle round on a progressive. I may start loading .223 this year on the 550 but it will be "blasting ammo" for playing at longer ranges and for coyote hunting. I have never shot CF rifle competitively, or in a quantity where having a high production rate on rifle ammunition was warranted. By using the RCBS X die, I hope to avoid trimming cases on subsequent reloads so that chore will be eliminated. My goal is to tumble clean and reload without any off press operations.

Pistol ammunition is where progressives shine. Even when I shot Bullseye, ammunition coming off a Star was accurate enough. Getting extra clean cases/primer pockets was not worth the added time and work of having a process off the press. Tumbled cases went directly to the press. I am a lazy reloader...LOL.

Additional case prep is not for everyone. For those who prefer higher productivity, a reliable priming system is a necessity. Otherwise productivity is reduced by 50% or more. For many users productivity is a key driver. People do not add case feeders or bullet feeders to increase quality but to reduce manual operations and gain small increases in productivity. Seems counterintuitive to take a 50% hit by doing an operation "off press".

I know two guys who gave up on the first generation Lee progressive. The priming system was not adequate. They were both CAS shooters, so super accurate ammunition was not required. Having to deprime and manually prime every case was unacceptable. I had the same issue with the Green Machine. If I primed off the press it worked OK but it was no Star. I loaded about 2000 rounds on the GM before giving up.

The new Lee, or any other progressive, lacking a reliable priming system will have limited market success.

Three44s
05-24-2022, 09:27 AM
I hope Lee has their priming system down pat to go with this new press so as to reduce the need to prime off press.

That said, for folks who want to clean pockets and/or prime separately, a case feeder can still make sense. Within their method a case feeder is actually twice as important since each case is run twice to accomplish loading compared to a reloader running their cases just once to Finnish the operation.

Three44s

skeet1
05-24-2022, 09:40 AM
It looks to me that most of the above posts are concerned with the priming apparatus on this new press, what I would be concerned about is the primers being available to put in that machine.

Ken

MostlyLeverGuns
05-24-2022, 10:15 AM
I am a Lee fan, but over many years, I have learned to be patient and let the bugs get worked by the impulsive, guns, trucks, engines, software, hardware. After a year or two, I will probably get one. Dillon is on version C, so they are still tweaking. I have a 550 with the upgrades, a couple Lee 1000's and a Lee Loadmaster - they all work if you pay attention.

sparky45
05-24-2022, 10:23 AM
After seeing the Lee APP press and how finicky it is, I'm not optimistic. (remembering my dad launching cases across the room...:o)

I have a lot of Lee stuff, big fan. But if its anything like the APP it's gonna need some tweaking/tuning before it will work.

You mean just like the LLM.

DougGuy
05-24-2022, 10:27 AM
I have a LM, and yes the priming system on it sucked, so I ended up priming off press, then feeding primed cases to the shellholder under the powder drop manually, seating, crimping, and pulling the loaded round out the side, only using 3 stations, I'd probably be better off trading for a classic turret press for rimmed cases.

I use the collator for primed 45ACP cases but I doubt I would ever use all 6 of the stations.

I tried Lee's Auto Bench Prime when it came out, total waste of time. My right hand is hurting now, and getting some arthritis, I would LOVE a hand held primer with a foot operated ram.

Soundguy
05-24-2022, 10:36 AM
I will watch with interest to see how this pans out. As I have stated repeatedly Lee has some really good ideas, but the execution is sometimes lacking.

Agreed. I have a 4 hole.. and love it.. but I stripped off all the auto index plastic gear junk that strips out in 2 weeks.. I just run it as a straight turret.

dverna
05-24-2022, 11:49 AM
Agreed. I have a 4 hole.. and love it.. but I stripped off all the auto index plastic gear junk that strips out in 2 weeks.. I just run it as a straight turret.

Good point about the plastic bits and pieces. They usually are the problem on any press. Having spares and making the design such that they are easily replaced helps but it is still aggravating when you need to crank up a few hundred rounds in a hurry.

If the cost cutters would use MIM instead of plastic injection molded parts it might add $50 to the cost but be so much better. I wonder if making them out of a better material using 3D printing could enhance longevity?

megasupermagnum
05-26-2022, 02:12 AM
I'm quite happy with my pro 1000, but I have to admit, if this goes on sale for $300 for just the press... I'm buying it. That's not much more than a new Pro 1000, and you are doubling the stations. It looks like a classic cast with a pro 1000 style system, which I love. I guess the only real drawback I see is that without the turret plates, it's going to take a few more minutes for a changeover unless you buy those breech lock bushings for all your dies.

I'm excited. Maybe with the rock solid classic cast linkage, bigger foot print, and a solid mount on the bench, it might not be that bad to prime on this press.

megasupermagnum
05-26-2022, 02:33 AM

Late? Lee has been making progressives for something like 30 years, maybe longer.

I don't "need" 6 stations, but it sure is nice to have, and opens a lot of possibilities. Size/deprime, flare/powder, seat, crimp, 4 stations is a normal setup in an ideal world. Sometimes there are better ways. for example, now you can add an NOE expander plug before the flare/powder station. If you run a powder check die, that's another station. I like a visual check, but I'd love to have both the visual and a lockout die, and now I can. I'm not a fan of it, but some guys like to trim rifle cases on the press as well.

Basically you can load ammo with 4 stations, or even 3, but you are forced to make compromises to condense into that format. With 6 stations, you are much more free to choose your own way.

Soundguy
05-26-2022, 10:21 AM
Good point about the plastic bits and pieces. They usually are the problem on any press. Having spares and making the design such that they are easily replaced helps but it is still aggravating when you need to crank up a few hundred rounds in a hurry.

If the cost cutters would use MIM instead of plastic injection molded parts it might add $50 to the cost but be so much better. I wonder if making them out of a better material using 3D printing could enhance longevity?

Possibly... that or composite with metal skeleton or any number of ways. heck.. I'd pay an extra hundred for aluminum parts ( but not zamack ).. don't like cast parts with zinc in them much.

onelight
05-26-2022, 11:56 AM
Possibly... that or composite with metal skeleton or any number of ways. heck.. I'd pay an extra hundred for aluminum parts ( but not zamack ).. don't like cast parts with zinc in them much.
I have no idea about the 6 station , but all the Lee presses I have had pro 1000 , Loadmaster , 4 station classic turret and auto breech lock pro , are steel and aluminum.

Soundguy
05-26-2022, 12:18 PM
I have no idea about the 6 station , but all the Lee presses I have had pro 1000 , Loadmaster , 4 station classic turret and auto breech lock pro , are steel and aluminum.

I don't know where you got your special edition all steel/aluminum 4 hole classic..but the one I bought had all plastic primer feeds, and the auto index collar was plastic with a steel rod..the rod wasn't the weak point..the plastic is/was.

Please post pics of your auto advance mechanism on your 4 hole that is 100% sterl/aluminum, and not a plastic collar clamped to the ram like all the others I've seen.

Soundguy
05-26-2022, 12:25 PM

I'm on lee precision sight right now... The 90997 large and small safety primer feed system still looks 99.9% plastic.. And the classic 4 hole turret press (red)..just like I have, still shows a black plastic indexing collar that clamps to the ram. The index bar is metal..but the piece that strips is the black plastic collar. Looks unchanged to me.
The primer feed system could be made from metal easily. MEC made them out of mostly metal.

onelight
05-26-2022, 01:24 PM
I'm on lee precision sight right now... The 90997 large and small safety primer feed system still looks 99.9% plastic.. And the classic 4 hole turret press (red)..just like I have, still shows a black plastic indexing collar that clamps to the ram. The index bar is metal..but the piece that strips is the black plastic collar. Looks unchanged to me.
The primer feed system could be made from metal easily. MEC made them out of mostly metal.
They absolutely have plastic :) and they may have some zinc on reloading presses just not the ones I have had.
They also sell plastic parts kits very cheap and the first individual parts that you add to your kart are free but you but pay shipping.
I always order the spare parts kits when I order a press so I have replacements if any thing was to break in the middle of a session . The only plastic parts I have had to replace were operator error :)
If Lee built presses just like Dillon they would probably cost as much , that is not Lee's market.
Glad we have both

megasupermagnum
05-26-2022, 03:02 PM
They absolutely have plastic :) and they may have some zinc on reloading presses just not the ones I have had.
They also sell plastic parts kits very cheap and the first individual parts that you add to your kart are free but you but pay shipping.
I always order the spare parts kits when I order a press so I have replacements if any thing was to break in the middle of a session . The only plastic parts I have had to replace were operator error :)
If Lee built presses just like Dillon they would probably cost as much , that is not Lee's market.
Glad we have both

No kidding. I understand that Dillon makes a fine press... but a 750 is $700. Lee ratchets last a long time as it is. if I have to replace them for $3 every couple years, so be it. If everything on a press was steel and aluminum, they would eat themselves alive. While brass is usually a better choice for longevity over plastic, the prices are not even close. One other great thing with plastic is that it does not need or benefit from lube. I'm ok with lube, but the less I have to oil a press the better. Plastic in the right places is just fine, especially if it is a part that has potential to be jammed and broken. I'm fine with sacrificial parts that are cheap.

Ultimately like everything, I think it comes down to two kinds of people. A third kind would be those that just want to be cheap, but they will never be happy with anything.

#1 Those who just want a turn-key deal to slam out ammo as fast as possible. Run it to failure, then have it fixed.

#2 Those with a mechanical mind, and won't loose sleep because they had to stop mid-run to change a part.

Obviously nobody want a piece of junk that doesn't stay together, but the lee Pro 1000 is a solid machine that will run if you just read the directions, and understand how it works. I expect nothing less of this Pro 6000. If you don't want to deal with that, and just want to mount a press, dies, and go, then I really doubt this press will do that.

Lefty Red
06-01-2022, 07:32 AM
I use two Lee APPs for de priming. I then use a RCBS or LEE bench mounted primer. I do what most of my younger shooting buddies call, “unnecessary, anal induced OCD,” because I want to keep my Dillons clean and most of my Turrets or SSs don’t have a decent depriming system. Only the LEEs do, IMHO. Cause I find the priming on anything but a 650xl or Pro2000 to be subpar. My problem for sure.

As for the new Pro 6000, if it’s half as good as the Pro 4000s it’s will be a hit! Nothing is ever to late to the party if it does the 80-90% of what machines that are twice the price do.

Lefty

Rickf1985
06-01-2022, 06:22 PM
A lot of people criticize the Lee primer feed on these presses and say how dangerous it is and a primer explosion will follow the run all the way up to and into the tray. Obviously these people have no idea of explosion dynamics! I don't know if Lee designed it that way or not but I would have to think they did. Otherwise it would have been just as easy to make a one piece tube feed. Notice that the feed tube is two piece and just snapped together. This feed tube goes into the primer cup at an angle. If the primer in the cup were to explode it may possibly cause the next one in line to go off but when that one goes off it is going to blow that tube wide open and scatter the rest of the primers before any explosive force can act on them. I simply cannot believe all these keyboard experts that do not see how this works! " Make the tube out of steel!" Have you seen the recent pics of the tube that exploded from bottom to top and did one hell of a job on the guys hands? THAT is what happens when you CONTAIN the primers and not let them out like the two piece plastic would do. On top of all of that, the priming system on the Lee press is on the opposite side from the operator so if it did go off the press is between you and the shrapnel.

Finster101
06-01-2022, 06:43 PM
Never heard about the "explosion" problem. Hell, I would have to get a primer in to the station before I could crush it and cause an explosion.

GWS
06-01-2022, 07:58 PM
The guy he was referring to was carrying a tube of primers across a carpeted room not in the press sleeve either. Messed up his hands pretty good. Containment is the problem. That's why I ended up with stripped primers.....only 25 spaced primers not 100 stacked ones.

The Lee tray holds how many....but at least they're not contained.....which is good. I'm less scared of Lee's, than Dillon, Hornady, RCBS primer tubes. RCBS shoulda perfected the APS system instead of tossing it aside when Dillon and Hornady buyers took it personal. It was a good idea and it worked.

Rickf1985
06-02-2022, 09:44 AM
I am pretty sure the one I am referring to was in a press, it was in a thread on here. I will try to find it.

Found it, It was actually a link posted on Handloaders Bench forum.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/reloading-safety-reminder.299386/

Livin_cincy
06-04-2022, 07:49 PM
Modern firearms use steel, aluminum, and plastic routinely. Cast iron presses are not made of gun materials. Dillon has never used cast iron to make their presses. Dillon abandoned their 650 priming system do to explosions.

Gavin, Thee Ultimate Reloaded on YouTube, reviewed both the Lee 1000 & Loadmaster. He commented he had no priming problems in both videos. Lee uses an alignment pin on the new 1000, 4000, and 6000 press to lock the shell plate in position during priming. It seems to work to align things for priming pretty well.

The plastic priming system has the benefit of lubricity and not being conductive. Notice that primer trays primers are sold in are plastic ? Notice Green & Orange primer flip trays are plastic ?

Notice Dillon makes a Zink alloy flip tray ?

Using modern materials is a paradigm shift from tradition. I think the Star & RCBS Green machines are all steel construction. You can find them.

Finster101
06-04-2022, 08:01 PM
You still have to get the primers out of the tray, down the chute and in to position. In my experience, Lee is not good at it.

jetinteriorguy
06-06-2022, 07:31 AM
You still have to get the primers out of the tray, down the chute and in to position. In my experience, Lee is not good at it.
I’ve found once the primer tray is empty and you can see the last primer has cleared the top of the chute, if you refill the tray you’ll have no problems with primers feeding. The weight of the primers in a full chute keeps them moving along smoothly. If your trying to run the chute empty before refilling that’s when you have problems. At least this has been my experience on both my Loadmaster and my Classic Turret.

Kenstone
07-19-2022, 06:12 PM
I’ve found once the primer tray is empty and you can see the last primer has cleared the top of the chute, if you refill the tray you’ll have no problems with primers feeding. The weight of the primers in a full chute keeps them moving along smoothly. If your trying to run the chute empty before refilling that’s when you have problems. At least this has been my experience on both my Loadmaster and my Classic Turret.

That'll work, but once the last primer has cleared the tray, I do this:
I have since replaced the Metal clip with a plastic "Chip Clip" and the metal rod with a wooden bamboo skewer.
A better method when you want to end a loading session and not leave primers in the tray or chute.
jmo,
:p

jetinteriorguy
07-20-2022, 07:51 PM
That'll work, but once the last primer has cleared the tray, I do this:
I have since replaced the Metal clip with a plastic "Chip Clip" and the metal rod with a wooden bamboo skewer.
A better method when you want to end a loading session and not leave primers in the tray or chute.
jmo,
:p
Now that right there is ingenious. I may have to copy that on my Classic turret.

Kenstone
07-20-2022, 08:10 PM
Now that right there is ingenious. I may have to copy that on my Classic turret.

Thanks for reading/responding to my post.

After using it, I thought about the possibility of the metal parts sparking, I changed the metal clip to a plastic chip clip and the steel rod to a bamboo skewer.
That skewer can get stuck/pinched by the primer pin though, after the last primer in the trough is seated, so watch it.
I still use that short piece of sheet metal angle though.
I made it like this:
:smile:

Stopsign32v
07-20-2022, 08:48 PM
Now take this for what you're paying for it. BUT...

I spoke with a Lee tech on the phone before purchasing my Loadmaster and he told me that the Pro 6000 was nothing but a Pro 4000 with 2 extra holes.

megasupermagnum
07-20-2022, 09:09 PM
Now take this for what you're paying for it. BUT...

I spoke with a Lee tech on the phone before purchasing my Loadmaster and he told me that the Pro 6000 was nothing but a Pro 4000 with 2 extra holes.

Maybe in the overall idea, but I'm seeing significant differences just based on the pictures. The priming systems could not be more different. The Pro 4000 is basically a single stage priming system, and the Pro 6000 appears to be an all new automatic system that is Pro 1000ish.

414gates
07-21-2022, 03:19 AM
... I spoke with a Lee tech on the phone before purchasing my Loadmaster and he told me that the Pro 6000 was nothing but a Pro 4000 with 2 extra holes.

Unless the pictures are wrong, the 6000 has a totally different priming layout to the 4000.

The continued use of the primer tray with the curved primer slide does not inspire confidence. May it work properly.

barnabus
07-21-2022, 05:28 AM
oh lawd....

Livin_cincy
07-21-2022, 08:55 PM
When is an Early Summer release date ?
Asking for a friend...

megasupermagnum
07-21-2022, 09:21 PM
When is an Early Summer release date ?
Asking for a friend...

According to Titan reloading, in the next week or two.

Soundguy
07-22-2022, 10:46 AM
I'd love to see one....

Stopsign32v
07-22-2022, 10:48 AM
I'd love to see one....

Watch, it will be leaps and bounds better than my Loadmaster and I'll have a paper weight and have to buy the 6000. [smilie=b:

Soundguy
07-22-2022, 11:13 AM
Probably won't be the last time you buy gear

Finster101
07-27-2022, 04:51 PM
Probably won't be the last time you buy gear

Does it ever stop?

Soundguy
07-27-2022, 06:55 PM
Right after you die

JuliettDeltaGolf
07-30-2022, 11:22 PM
Watch, it will be leaps and bounds better than my Loadmaster and I'll have a paper weight and have to buy the 6000. [smilie=b:

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. And I was just getting ready to set up my Loadmaster...

dverna
07-31-2022, 07:57 AM

There are only two reasons a new press is introduced. First is that it is better than what a company currently produces. Second it is less expensive to manufacture.

I have a Bonanza Co-Ax that is the same press now sold by Forster. It is an old old design that has not been improved or cheapened up by the bean counters.

I do not know how many progressives Lee has introduced but they have struggled with making a "good" one. Not bashing Lee...they aim for a price point and do the best they can to meet it. Not many people would buy a Lee if it was only $50 less than a Dillon as there is not enough reward for the risk. OTOH Lee has done a fine job on producing a good single stage press that is less expensive than what others offer.

Your Loadmaster may not be a "paper weight" but it will have fewer stations than the new design. If you do not need those stations, it does not matter.

Stay the course and get your new press running as best you can. If it does not meet your expectations, it will not be difficult to sell, and you might lose $100...not the end of the world. If it works...you are golden!!!

I have only owned one press that was so pathetic I gave up on it. The RCBS Green Machine. Even good companies make duds. The GM was dropped soon after it was introduced. It was so bad RCBS gave up on it. How bad was it? ....... I would rather be forced to load on a Lee 1000 than a GM.

megasupermagnum
08-04-2022, 09:28 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep the box it comes in, and it will be an easy sell if you don't want it.

Update from Titan: I'm told that Lee will not be shipping the 6 Pack until late August now.

Livin_cincy
08-05-2022, 05:16 PM
Update from Titan: I'm told that Lee will not be shipping the 6 Pack until late August now.

I see Russian Collusion interference !��������

FabMan
09-12-2022, 07:50 AM
I see these are out of stock where I shop. Has anyone bought and tried one?

JuliettDeltaGolf
09-12-2022, 08:13 AM
I see these are out of stock where I shop. Has anyone bought and tried one?

They haven't been released yet. Titan and others are getting ready by setting up listings ahead of time with stock set at zero, hence "out of stock". I suggest signing up to be notified when item is "back in stock". I talked to Lee a week ago and they still refused to say when the press will be released. They did cite supply chain issues as being responsible for most of the delays.

poppy42
09-12-2022, 01:44 PM

I opened the box my app was in, set up and I was off and running! I’ve easily de primed over 20,000 cases. Sized untold number of boollets. Absolutely no problems with mine! Don’t know maybe I’m less picky than some folks. And I know it’s not just me definitely seen mixed opinions. I mean everything has issues there’s no such thing as a perfect piece of equipment it doesn’t exist. Do I expect my hundred dollar lee APP press to perform the same as a Dillon 1050? Ah no! But at the price it does exactly what I want it to do when I want to do it! I don’t size my 30-06 brass on it. But if did and it breaks Lee has got great customer service. Even if it completely falls apart after five years at that price you can afford to buy a new one. Seriously, if you use it as its intended and don’t push the envelope, I don’t see potential for major problems with it other than the plastic carriage and risers wearing out.

poppy42
09-12-2022, 01:58 PM
I am pretty sure the one I am referring to was in a press, it was in a thread on here. I will try to find it.

Found it, It was actually a link posted on Handloaders Bench forum.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/reloading-safety-reminder.299386/
What the heck is that contraption connected to an RCBS bench primer? Look Rube Goldberg to me! No wonder he blew up

poppy42
09-12-2022, 02:04 PM

I’ve had my classic cast turret for about 6 years. Never had an issue with the auto indexing although I do take the rod out for doing certain cartridges. Mostly because I don’t have enough auto disk powder measures to go around.

deces
09-12-2022, 07:32 PM
The release date for the Lee 6-pack press has been delayed until October.
https://leeprecision.com/pro-6000-six-pack-reloading-press/

derek45
09-13-2022, 10:23 AM
LEE needs to stick to making affordable dies and molds and either come up with a reliable progressive or stay out of that market

maybe this will be it,…..but I highly doubt it

jetinteriorguy
09-14-2022, 05:40 PM
What the heck is that contraption connected to an RCBS bench primer? Look Rube Goldberg to me! No wonder he blew up
That’s the primer tube after it blew up.

Kenstone
09-14-2022, 08:59 PM
oops

Stopsign32v
09-15-2022, 05:39 PM
LEE needs to stick to making affordable dies and molds and either come up with a reliable progressive or stay out of that market

maybe this will be it,…..but I highly doubt it

Oh come on...People should know what they get into for the price they pay. And for the price you pay to what you get is much higher than most. Like others have told me, most of my "Lee problems" have proven to just be my problems and nothing to do with Lee.

deces
09-16-2022, 11:27 PM
I received a couple shell plates for the Lee 6-pack from MidwayUSA this week. When considering the 2 more stations, the shell plate is only marginally larger and the index pin alignment holes are much tighter together compared to the Pro4000. The rotation per die station will be much shorter and maybe smoother than that of the ABLP.

bfox
09-18-2022, 10:24 PM
If link works decent video .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a8FRaNSwfhE&t=330s

Stopsign32v
09-19-2022, 12:57 PM

If they can just get the priming system to work correctly...I really like that indexing rod though

deces
09-19-2022, 06:20 PM

Thanks, I found another video.

https://youtu.be/1STLOQ_OU5I

dikman
09-19-2022, 06:58 PM
Looks promising. I had a couple of 1000's (sold one and keep one for de-priming, fitted with the case feeder) and then a Loadmaster. The LM required a fair bit of tweaking, the boolit feeder arms kept getting chewed up so could be a a bit iffy, but the primer feed was a constant source of problems. I eventually sold it and bought a Dillon 650 (pretty much the last available here in Oz prior to the 750) and, if used as per Dillon's instructions performs faultlessly. Mine occasionally gives me trouble with priming but that's because I'm an inveterate fiddler, so not the fault of the press.
If Lee can fix their primer delivery system then it should be a nice press.

deces
09-20-2022, 07:59 PM
Looks promising. I had a couple of 1000's (sold one and keep one for de-priming, fitted with the case feeder) and then a Loadmaster. The LM required a fair bit of tweaking, the boolit feeder arms kept getting chewed up so could be a a bit iffy, but the primer feed was a constant source of problems. I eventually sold it and bought a Dillon 650 (pretty much the last available here in Oz prior to the 750) and, if used as per Dillon's instructions performs faultlessly. Mine occasionally gives me trouble with priming but that's because I'm an inveterate fiddler, so not the fault of the press.
If Lee can fix their primer delivery system then it should be a nice press.

I can see this press taking a big share of people who are looking at presses like hornady's LNL and others.

Kenstone
09-21-2022, 08:59 PM
Here's a link to the Six Pack Pro manual, you can get a feel for how the primer feed works, as well as change-over stuff:
https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/SixPackPro.pdf
some interesting reading,

jetinteriorguy
09-24-2022, 10:42 AM
Here's a link to the Six Pack Pro manual, you can get a feel for how the primer feed works, as well as change-over stuff:
https://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/SixPackPro.pdf
some interesting reading,
Priming system at least looks simple enough. Be interesting to see how it works out in actual use.

Kenstone
09-24-2022, 01:44 PM
Priming system at least looks simple enough. Be interesting to see how it works out in actual use.

Yeh, and I didn't see any reference to changing the primer seating pin for small or large primers.
Changing the primer guide at the end of the primer slide to either large or small is the only thing for primer change over.
A good thing,

deces
09-27-2022, 03:51 AM
https://youtu.be/58OVn9vcjQw

deces
09-27-2022, 03:52 AM
Primer system.

https://youtu.be/7zIMj0flBss

Stopsign32v
09-29-2022, 11:56 AM
I don't think it's perfect but I think that is a REALLY good improvement with the priming system. Looks like I'll be replacing my Loadmaster with a 6000 but I'd like to see more reviews once they come out.

deces
09-29-2022, 01:26 PM
I just hope there is room to drill a hole at the end of the priming station to sweep out any transient powder.

Kenstone
09-29-2022, 06:31 PM
Primer system.

https://youtu.be/7zIMj0flBss

Would have been better without the fist blocking the camera's view at the end of the stroke though...
just sayin'
:?

deces
10-11-2022, 03:22 AM
New video of the priming system, it looks perfect!

https://youtu.be/JJA_myoyYx8

dverna
10-11-2022, 08:54 AM

It worked for a handful of cases. And we do not know how many "takes" it took to make the video.

The Lee 1000 "worked" too, or Lee would not have released a product they knew would be doomed to failure. But the average Joe could not get the 1000 to work for hundreds of rounds at a time. The 1000 was instrumental in Lee earning its reputation for making "junk". IMO the worst marketing/sales decision they ever made.

I am not a "Lee Basher". I have some of their stuff but I know it is of lesser quality. At times that is all that is needed.

The real test will be when a person using a Dillon adds this new press to their stable and declares, "The Lee is working just as well as my Dillon" (after making over 10k rounds). Until then, I am skeptical.

If I headed up Lee marketing, this is what I would do. Give the press and $10,000 to someone like J Morris to do a 15k round test. 5k rounds of 9mm (split between cast and jacketed bullets), 5k rounds of .45 ACP (spilt between cast and jacketed bullets), 3k rounds of 5.56, 2k rounds of .30/06. Then, I would know if I had a product that will work...and if not, what needs to be done.

But some of you guys will be the "beta" testers instead. SNAFU.

Evolution is wonderful. But sometimes a species dies off.

Lee 1000, Pro 1000, Pro 4000, Loadmaster, Six Pack Pro...

If Lee is not successful with this latest iteration, they will have a tough time selling the next "new and improved" kick at the cat.

deces
10-11-2022, 12:02 PM
It worked for a handful of cases. And we do not know how many "takes" it took to make the video.

The Lee 1000 "worked" too, or Lee would not have released a product they knew would be doomed to failure. But the average Joe could not get the 1000 to work for hundreds of rounds at a time. The 1000 was instrumental in Lee earning its reputation for making "junk". IMO the worst marketing/sales decision they ever made.

I am not a "Lee Basher". I have some of their stuff but I know it is of lesser quality. At times that is all that is needed.

The real test will be when a person using a Dillon adds this new press to their stable and declares, "The Lee is working just as well as my Dillon" (after making over 10k rounds). Until then, I am skeptical.

If I headed up Lee marketing, this is what I would do. Give the press and $10,000 to someone like J Morris to do a 15k round test. 5k rounds of 9mm (split between cast and jacketed bullets), 5k rounds of .45 ACP (spilt between cast and jacketed bullets), 3k rounds of 5.56, 2k rounds of .30/06. Then, I would know if I had a product that will work...and if not, what needs to be done.

But some of you guys will be the "beta" testers instead. SNAFU.

Evolution is wonderful. But sometimes a species dies off.

Lee 1000, Pro 1000, Pro 4000, Loadmaster, Six Pack Pro...

If Lee is not successful with this latest iteration, they will have a tough time selling the next "new and improved" kick at the cat.

How many discontinued presses does Dillion have now?

Rickf1985
10-14-2022, 07:56 PM
People that have the money to buy Dillon presses do not need to buy lower price equipment. The Lee equipment is made for those of us with lower means. I have a 1000 and I simply prime using a hand primer. It runs through 9mm perfectly and the priming problem was simple to get around. How much more does a Dillon cost to get that priming capability?
If I need to load a thousand rounds a month then I need a Dillon. If I need to load a thousand rounds a month I certainly have a much bigger shooting and reloading budget then a lot of us. But for the average shooter a Lee 6 pack would be perfect.

poppy42
10-15-2022, 05:57 AM
People that have the money to buy Dillon presses do not need to buy lower price equipment. The Lee equipment is made for those of us with lower means. I have a 1000 and I simply prime using a hand primer. It runs through 9mm perfectly and the priming problem was simple to get around. How much more does a Dillon cost to get that priming capability?
If I need to load a thousand rounds a month then I need a Dillon. If I need to load a thousand rounds a month I certainly have a much bigger shooting and reloading budget then a lot of us. But for the average shooter a Lee 6 pack would be perfect.

+1^^^^i couldn’t have said it better!

dverna
10-15-2022, 08:34 AM
Maybe Lee should eliminate the Mickey Mouse primer systems they have been using, reduce the price, and offer a hand primer "bonus" for $20 with every "progressive". People who want a real progressive press would look elsewhere. Those who do not want or need a press that can prime on the press would be better served by not paying for something that is useless.

BTW, folks who prime off the press should be looking at used Lee's instead of buying new. There are plenty of folks who get rid of them after realizing they do not work as hoped. See them on eBay for $125-150.

Titan has new Lee 1000's on sale for $220. Seems like a good deal. I suspect they cannot sell the things even during the "shortage" and have to move them out.

As to the "those who can afford" comment, let me say this. When I started out, I was still in school and poor. My mentor gave me good advice. Buy good stuff that will work and last a lifetime. I still have my expensive Lyman furnace, Star sizer and Co-Ax I bought over 50 years ago. IIRC, the Co-Ax was ($68) and double what a Lyman press cost. That press is now about $350+ and I can sell it tomorrow for $200+

hporter
10-15-2022, 09:17 AM
The real test will be when a person using a Dillon adds this new press to their stable and declares, "The Lee is working just as well as my Dillon" (after making over 10k rounds).

This may be me, as I do want to try this press out, just for curiosities sake.

I started off with Lee progressives and hated them so much that I sold them at a local reloader's parking lot swap meet for $50 each. I still have 3 or 4 Lee single stage presses and the Cast Turret press. They are all good presses and a good value for the money.

I now run a couple Dillon 650's and a 550. The primer feed mechanism of this new Lee looks similar in concept to the one Dillon uses on the 550. And what they changed the 650 primer feed to on the new 750 press.

The Lee primer feed boxes are much easier and faster to load than the metal tubes for a Dillon. And when you load the Lee primer feed up you can instantly tell if a primer is upside down, so that is a plus. I load my Dillon tubes on an Dillon RF-100 primer filler and occasionally one gets in the tube upside down.

And I sometimes wish my 650's had 6 stations when loading black powder cartridges using both a neck expander die and a powder compression die.

This press could be a useful addition to the stable.

Lee has had many good ideas over the years, sometimes self-sabotaged by too much plastic in the mechanics.

I can't imagine being without my Lee APP press. I even set my Dillon 650 case feeder up to feed it. But being made of so much plastic, I got on the Lee website and the nice people there sold me a complete spares set for my APP at a reasonable price. I am a happy customer, and they have great service in my experience.

And I run Lee Auto-disk powder measures on all my Dillon tool heads - as I prefer them to the Dillon measures. So I am by no means a Lee hater. On the contrary, a majority of my reloading dies are LEE and I am perfectly happy with them.

So I am anxiously awaiting the release of this press. It will be fun to play with.

Kenstone
10-15-2022, 06:31 PM
Maybe Lee should eliminate the Mickey Mouse primer systems they have been using, reduce the price, and offer a hand primer "bonus" for $20 with every "progressive". People who want a real progressive press would look elsewhere. Those who do not want or need a press that can prime on the press would be better served by not paying for something that is useless.

BTW, folks who prime off the press should be looking at used Lee's instead of buying new. There are plenty of folks who get rid of them after realizing they do not work as hoped. See them on eBay for $125-150.

Titan has new Lee 1000's on sale for $220. Seems like a good deal. I suspect they cannot sell the things even during the "shortage" and have to move them out.

As to the "those who can afford" comment, let me say this. When I started out, I was still in school and poor. My mentor gave me good advice. Buy good stuff that will work and last a lifetime. I still have my expensive Lyman furnace, Star sizer and Co-Ax I bought over 50 years ago. IIRC, the Co-Ax was ($68) and double what a Lyman press cost. That press is now about $350+ and I can sell it tomorrow for $200+

Wow OK then
That reads somewhat like a rant (to me) with a lot of assumptions to fit the narrative.

The only Dillon I have used to date was a 4 station/hand index SDB and I found that required too much operator input per cycle for me.
I have reloaded on several different colored progressives and have delt with priming issues on them all.

I have found that 95% of all priming problems in progressive reloading can be traced back to crimped primers being sucked back in and indexed over to the priming station or primer smooge (or spilled powder) tying up the primer pin or primer mechanism.
De-priming, removing any crimp, and removing the primer smooge via wet/pin tumbling mitigates both of those problems (for me).
Well, that and NOT dumping powder into an un-primed case. [smilie=b:

Yes, I even prime on my Lee progressives. :shock:
I do not prime on the Loadmaster anymore (but could) because I chose to free up a station to add a Hornady inline bullet feeding die.
So, I pre-prime cases heading for loadmaster on a Pro 1000. [smilie=s:

I urge anyone using non-Dillon equipment to go over to the Brian Enos forum and skim thru the Dillon user's forum to see just what problems Dillon equipment owners are dealing with.
Also, a quick search on ebay for Dillon fixes will let you see a page of add-ons sold to deal with Dillon "perfection".

https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/78-dillon-precision-reloading-equipment/

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=Dillon+press+upgrades&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=dillon+press+upgrades

Not sure why the Six Pack press is getting flamed here, before it has been offered for sale, but it's just a typical reaction to anything Lee good or bad.
I'm willing to wait-and-see though.
jmo,
Edit: my fav Dillon up grade: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265538725812?hash=item3dd35767b4:g:WeIAAOSwlBhiKpt Z&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4LBA2jCsqTYQjVXjv%2FGgWhecF0e M77Qn%2BjAo7ryERJVQZMAiHb7cARqDNj7Dg0K5kPslkB0UrYV gJqRHYj5SlWwjBxqd3PzohwI4UNCHaBXBAdnaj3EGTRuL7fq7I MokquOPAhUKErqQsYyPflz9FJOGjRt7ixFVo1yzBJOwVr2YHcd O8tWC5CicE4eOammDS8WdRRCSZktUKCOmQutuJgL7PuuA1HOiF 4%2FMjejqrtyc8aClBDwvaKlaMowRc9bBqk%2FoMaJxGCkjkEx NMJqHBIx4Lk2FTdFQnsX%2BvJrmT9FA%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-S4h9z7YA
A $17 piece of aluminum flashing (with Logo) [smilie=w:
Here's another, generic (no logo) $20+: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295112947884?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110 006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201 210111314%26meid%3Dc77502a814d94c6981e670a98036506 f%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D265538 725812%26itm%3D295112947884%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26 pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuA spectsV202110NoVariantSeedKnnRecallV1&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A295112947884c77502a814d94c6981e670a 98036506f%7Cenc%3AAQAHAAABEMFr2e4EmAnM%252ByHZkULY KDIJ4L66fOjNL0iupgt%252BzO1%252F3AE1t3mNirUYB96Nkt MCicMagiS6mbeTl0xquGODv9kM9UsVMRVEVTHKtyWqrqXD8EaU QmGWhtw0bz3qay3FVIfh7GzWWPfkQ68qmoQ99%252BflCTXllt WLOY9tV67gSUTxOih2IGE%252Fx50Ln%252BVDFVsUqZx3DGyQ t%252B4Ldgu5QzEY1pUKN%252FTbXDkJ4h4vaqZTsRwfpBPq1R H%252FVwhM7A1td1NzfRAti03IPp9uBaUWGYXnqxqnleC%252F HR05T5rpFYZGCmz%252Fq3K00NtY37woyew9sslCSaaLuA6KTy OFqB2k6KflJzLmumIVDF4Mw9ZI%252F%252FMDFRY%252B%7Ca mpid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2047675

elmacgyver0
10-15-2022, 07:04 PM
The Lee stuff has served me pretty well over the years, yes, some of it is finicky and, in some ways, Rinky Dink, but it was all I could afford and allowed me to get into reloading when other options were outside of my price range.

dverna
10-15-2022, 10:03 PM
Ken, I did not flame the 6 Pack...yet. My point is folks who cannot afford to buy a proven progressive should be wary of buying this new press.

Lee has not been able to get it right for a long time. Let people who can afford to take the hit be the beta testers. Someone like hporter, above, or someone like you who has other presses and is not left stranded with a new machine that has issues.

BTW, a Dillon SD is not manually indexed, so not sure what you were loading on.

Kenstone
10-15-2022, 11:05 PM
Ken, I did not flame the 6 Pack...yet. My point is folks who cannot afford to buy a proven progressive should be wary of buying this new press.

Lee has not been able to get it right for a long time. Let people who can afford to take the hit be the beta testers. Someone like hporter, above, or someone like you who has other presses and is not left stranded with a new machine that has issues.

BTW, a Dillon SD is not manually indexed, so not sure what you were loading on.

...yet

So, why do you think: "folks who cannot afford to buy a proven progressive", or: "Lee has not been able to get it right for a long time" is not bashing?

In your negative posts in this thread, you start off under the guise of warning potential buyers to be wary, then go onto your latinity of negative comments.
Not bashing?
Yes-it's more like trolling for posters like me.

BTW, I did reference the wrong Dillon model as it belonged to a friend, I used it at his house, and was probably a 550 (another guess).
That's the reason I added some detail about its operation.

I have realized I should just ignore your posts here, like everyone else has.
So, take the last word if you see the need but I won't be responding to you anymore but will continue further discussion of the six pack.
jmo,

GWS
10-15-2022, 11:52 PM
Edit: my fav Dillon up grade: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265538725812?hash=item3dd35767b4:g:WeIAAOSwlBhiKpt Z&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4LBA2jCsqTYQjVXjv%2FGgWhecF0e M77Qn%2BjAo7ryERJVQZMAiHb7cARqDNj7Dg0K5kPslkB0UrYV gJqRHYj5SlWwjBxqd3PzohwI4UNCHaBXBAdnaj3EGTRuL7fq7I MokquOPAhUKErqQsYyPflz9FJOGjRt7ixFVo1yzBJOwVr2YHcd O8tWC5CicE4eOammDS8WdRRCSZktUKCOmQutuJgL7PuuA1HOiF 4%2FMjejqrtyc8aClBDwvaKlaMowRc9bBqk%2FoMaJxGCkjkEx NMJqHBIx4Lk2FTdFQnsX%2BvJrmT9FA%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-S4h9z7YA
A $17 piece of aluminum flashing (with Logo) [smilie=w:
Here's another, generic (no logo) $20+: https://www.ebay.com/itm/295112947884?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110 006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201 210111314%26meid%3Dc77502a814d94c6981e670a98036506 f%26pid%3D101195%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D265538 725812%26itm%3D295112947884%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26 pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv11WebTrimmedV3MskuA spectsV202110NoVariantSeedKnnRecallV1&_trksid=p2047675.c101195.m1851&amdata=cksum%3A295112947884c77502a814d94c6981e670a 98036506f%7Cenc%3AAQAHAAABEMFr2e4EmAnM%252ByHZkULY KDIJ4L66fOjNL0iupgt%252BzO1%252F3AE1t3mNirUYB96Nkt MCicMagiS6mbeTl0xquGODv9kM9UsVMRVEVTHKtyWqrqXD8EaU QmGWhtw0bz3qay3FVIfh7GzWWPfkQ68qmoQ99%252BflCTXllt WLOY9tV67gSUTxOih2IGE%252Fx50Ln%252BVDFVsUqZx3DGyQ t%252B4Ldgu5QzEY1pUKN%252FTbXDkJ4h4vaqZTsRwfpBPq1R H%252FVwhM7A1td1NzfRAti03IPp9uBaUWGYXnqxqnleC%252F HR05T5rpFYZGCmz%252Fq3K00NtY37woyew9sslCSaaLuA6KTy OFqB2k6KflJzLmumIVDF4Mw9ZI%252F%252FMDFRY%252B%7Ca mpid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2047675

Think I'll stay out of this hornet nest, but I wanted to show you how I closed up my green RCBS bins.....using my favorite tool....the Creality 3D printer......:) No aluminum, no logo......but it works, and only cost me 50 cents worth of PLA plastic and an hour of printing time, each. I decided to try something different...straight up with angled side returns. Click the picture for a bigger view.

https://i.postimg.cc/WbwKQvBr/IMG_4102.jpg

I only own one Lee press....the APP. An original target Lee Loader in .243W. Was too lazy to like the target loader....so I bought a Rock Chucker, but I dearly love my APP. Glad I don't have to live without it.....even though I did for nearly 50 years!

Kenstone
10-16-2022, 12:58 AM
Wow, thanks for reading/responding to my post

I love reading about all the stuff that's being built with 3D printers posted by you and the others and have looked at the related printer mega threads.
I am tempted to jump into it with both feet.
But I need another hobby like a hole in my wallet and with my luck all sources for filament would dry up the moment I bought a printer.

Keep posting that 3D stuff, as it has got me looking into our local library having printers to use for free!
All I'll need is filament, a program, and schedule some run time.
That, and know that I have some "outdated" green progressives that have served me well for many years too.
jmo,

45_Colt
10-16-2022, 07:25 AM

Not sure about perfect. Why does the primer tray hit both the press body and whatever is in station 3? How many flexes of those plastic primer feed pieces is it going to take before it breaks and dumps primers all over.

22_Match

dverna
10-16-2022, 08:13 AM
Think I'll stay out of this hornet nest, but I wanted to show you how I closed up my green RCBS bins.....using my favorite tool....the Creality 3D printer......:) No aluminum, no logo......but it works, and only cost me 50 cents worth of PLA plastic and an hour of printing time, each. I decided to try something different...straight up with angled side returns. Click the picture for a bigger view.

I only own one Lee press....the APP. An original target Lee Loader in .243W. Was too lazy to like the target loader....so I bought a Rock Chucker, but I dearly love my APP. Glad I don't have to live without it.....even though I did for nearly 50 years!

I like your design a lot better than what I got. T

https://inlinefabrication.com/products/bin-barriers?_***=1&_sid=41c6b48b0&_ss=r

I was going to get some metal and make my own but not worth the hassle for the handful I needed. I was buying stuff from In-Line anyway so added them to the order.

GWS
10-17-2022, 01:06 AM
Wow, thanks for reading/responding to my post

I love reading about all the stuff that's being built with 3D printers posted by you and the others and have looked at the related printer mega threads.
I am tempted to jump into it with both feet.
But I need another hobby like a hole in my wallet and with my luck all sources for filament would dry up the moment I bought a printer.

Keep posting that 3D stuff, as it has got me looking into our local library having printers to use for free!
All I'll need is filament, a program, and schedule some run time.
That, and know that I have some "outdated" green progressives that have served me well for many years too.
jmo,.

Okay, I'm enclosing the print file (.stl) for this little bin closure print, so you can print it at home or at the library. A good tiny print to suck you in.;) I think Don Verna may have already dipped his feet in the hobby. You ought to see what I did with an RCBS Summit press, Lee APP shuttle parts, and TylorR's Quick Change APP parts.....a heavy duty APP with a case feeder. It never ends. You DO need this complimentary hobby to add to what you already do.:)

Now, I spent $500 on my 3D printer, but you can buy a smaller one and still print most things reloading.....except for large case collators, for a couple hundred bucks. But, I wanted to be able to print TylerR's 300mm square case feeder.....if the smaller bullet feeders is all you nee, print on beds 220mm square.....so Ender 3's work fine. Mine's a CR-10 Version 2.

Here's what I discovered. I could buy a single Mr. Bullet Feeder and 2 caliber changes for about the same money. But having spend that money on a printer instead, meant that I can print bullet feeders/collators or larger case collators for $70 to $80 a piece and a caliber change kits for around $10 each. So where am I now? I have 4 collators, several caliber changes for each, I have 2 press-lighting and camera systems, Bullet feed dies for 4 pistol calibers.....and that just getting started. The printer keeps on giving.....best investment I've made in this hobby. I could not have afforded all the collators and feed dies without it.

megasupermagnum
10-17-2022, 03:08 AM
Not sure about perfect. Why does the primer tray hit both the press body and whatever is in station 3? How many flexes of those plastic primer feed pieces is it going to take before it breaks and dumps primers all over.

22_Match

This priming system appears to be nothing but the Pro1000, but with a feeder. On the Pro1000 the primer tray rubs on the tiebar which has notches on it. The purpose is to shake the primer tray to keep primers feeding. Why the guy in the video has it running into some kind of die, I have no idea. I wouldn't do that.

I like the Pro1000, and I never found it to have that much for problems. My question though is if the Pro1000 priming system wasn't good enough, in what way is this 6 pack an improvement? I don't see one iota of difference in that primer chute. The only difference is my Pro1000 took the old round tray, where now they use the new flip style tray. I guess the only real advantage I see is that now everything is out in the open. You can see what all is going on, where the Pro1000 went under the shell plate.

deces
10-19-2022, 11:05 PM
https://youtu.be/y2D7aCLLBTg
https://youtu.be/y2D7aCLLBTg

deces
10-20-2022, 04:16 AM
Here is the pro 6000 with a Lee bullet feeder, looks perfect!

https://youtu.be/ttaBvKyN3ko

dverna
10-20-2022, 08:58 AM
Looks slow and deliberate in operation. A bit "herky jerky"? Looks like 7 rounds a minute.

IMO it is far from perfect if this is the best it can do.

Watch the video by Morris. 25 rounds a minute with a Loadmaster. That is "perfection" and would be phenomenal if easily achievable.

But perfection is a bit like accuracy. It means different things to different folks.

deces
10-20-2022, 12:05 PM
So now it's just a grip about speed? You do realize these people are demonstrating the operation, right?

dverna
10-20-2022, 03:30 PM
So now it's just a grip about speed? You do realize these people are demonstrating the operation, right?

Watch the video closely. The press is out of alignment. See the round tilt as it enters and exits the crimping die. Could explain the ..."herky jerkey". I am ignorant about Lee press set up. Maybe the alignment is adjustable? I know there is a tool to align the Dillon 550/650/750's but I have never needed it.

Makes me wonder if the guy doing the video knows what he is doing, did not read the setup instructions, or the press is faulty.

deces
10-20-2022, 04:56 PM
Watch the video closely. The press is out of alignment. See the round tilt as it enters and exits the crimping die. Could explain the ..."herky jerkey". I am ignorant about Lee press set up. Maybe the alignment is adjustable? I know there is a tool to align the Dillon 550/650/750's but I have never needed it.

Makes me wonder if the guy doing the video knows what he is doing, did not read the setup instructions, or the press is faulty.

Alignment adjustments are very easy to do on this press & the ABLP, all he has to do is loosen the 3 allen bolts on top and run up the ram with a case in each station and retighten. Easy peasy.
As for the jerking, I have seen numerous videos of dillions slinging powder out of cases in their rotation of operation.

minerburns
10-20-2022, 06:37 PM
deces Thanks for posting my video link.
I have added right and left side views.
This machine runs very well. I have had no major problems setting it up.

deces
10-20-2022, 06:59 PM

I'm enjoying the content, keep it coming. I'm not sure if my comment came out right on youtube, but here is a part that can be printed at a local library or university that offers the service. Grab the STL on a SD card and print to 90% infill.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4683770/files

megasupermagnum
10-20-2022, 09:43 PM
My question is why is Lee early releasing presses to people with no following? 2 subscribers for David Sherman. 34 subscribers for reloader523. I'm not saying they don't know what they are doing, but I'd much rather see a 6 pack sent to someone like Gavintoob who does honest reviews, and is at least mildly mechanically inclined.

GWS
10-20-2022, 10:20 PM
Saving money......the early releases was to use up machines they "thought" was ready, but had cosmetic flaws.....they didn't want to throw them away. ;) Unknown to them was the more serious production flaws that caused some of the "earlys" to not get them afterall.....at least....early. Maybe by Christmas, when they are 'really' out, they'll send a copy to Gavin for the Gavin Review if that's important.

I'll bet Lee won't do this again.....best to have private testers.....ask RCBS....they really got burned by the earlys a few years ago. :)

More than likely all this was finance driven....who's not a little tight that way this year!

megasupermagnum
10-20-2022, 10:52 PM
That sounds like a win when you put it that way. They sell a functional, but imperfect press, and only to nobodies. With so few views of those videos, almost all I'm sure because of this forum, they practically are private beta testers. I'm not that worried about it, I just wish they would release some of the other goodies. I don't even see it on the website, are they releasing a bullet feed die like in the video? The other one I'm looking at is their new Smart Lock bushings. I always really liked their standard lock rings, but it's getting to the point that everything I have has their breech lock setup, why not use it. My classic cast has it. My hand press has it. My APP has it. Soon I could own a progressive with it. I liked their steel bushings, but they are hard to use with the new version of their breech lock which is recessed and don't have the button anymore. The clamp style ones work easy, but I hate adjusting them, and I'm adjusting dies almost every time I load something. These smartlock bushings look like the best of all worlds.

deces
10-20-2022, 11:01 PM
That sounds like a win when you put it that way. They sell a functional, but imperfect press, and only to nobodies. With so few views of those videos, almost all I'm sure because of this forum, they practically are private beta testers. I'm not that worried about it, I just wish they would release some of the other goodies. I don't even see it on the website, are they releasing a bullet feed die like in the video? The other one I'm looking at is their new Smart Lock bushings. I always really liked their standard lock rings, but it's getting to the point that everything I have has their breech lock setup, why not use it. My classic cast has it. My hand press has it. My APP has it. Soon I could own a progressive with it. I liked their steel bushings, but they are hard to use with the new version of their breech lock which is recessed and don't have the button anymore. The clamp style ones work easy, but I hate adjusting them, and I'm adjusting dies almost every time I load something. These smartlock bushings look like the best of all worlds.

There was about 75 blemished presses that were publicly on sale at their website, for consumer testing, anyone could have bought one. It's nobody's fault that gavintoob was a sleep at the wheel in buying one of these, to gainer all the youtube videos since this presses conception and appease all the critics. Good Lord...

megasupermagnum
10-21-2022, 12:33 AM
I certainly wasn't aware of any presses for sale publicly. I've been on the email list at both Lee and Titan reloading since at least June. I've regularly checked Lee for updates, including calling them about once a month. I don't see it listed anywhere on this thread that any were released. If they were for sale, it wasn't for long, and it certainly wasn't known to anyone that wasn't lucky enough to stumble into it by accident.

Kenstone
10-21-2022, 12:46 AM

So, inquiring minds want to know...
How did you acquire the elusive Lee Pro 6000/Six Pack press?
:coffeecom
your other vids for those who have not seen them:
https://www.youtube.com/user/miner72burns/videos
:drinks:

deces
10-21-2022, 03:09 AM
I certainly wasn't aware of any presses for sale publicly. I've been on the email list at both Lee and Titan reloading since at least June. I've regularly checked Lee for updates, including calling them about once a month. I don't see it listed anywhere on this thread that any were released. If they were for sale, it wasn't for long, and it certainly wasn't known to anyone that wasn't lucky enough to stumble into it by accident.

Someone let the cat out of the bag months ago on the highroad board, they were under Lee's clearance section I believe. I was kinda chapped too man. :-|

dverna
10-21-2022, 09:19 AM
My question is why is Lee early releasing presses to people with no following? 2 subscribers for David Sherman. 34 subscribers for reloader523. I'm not saying they don't know what they are doing, but I'd much rather see a 6 pack sent to someone like Gavintoob who does honest reviews, and is at least mildly mechanically inclined.

I have to agree +++++.

For those who have worked in manufacturing, in a management position, I have a question. Would your company release 75 units that are potentially defective or at best "seconds" to the market before a product launch? If you did, would you select the people to evaluate them or sell them to the general public? For those who have not been in management the answer is NO NO NO!!

75 presses that retail for $350 might cost Lee $200. So they recouped $15k, assuming none of the parts could be used on a "good" unit. IMO this demonstrates how badly managed they are. And one last point. When a company does stupid things like this, it affects their employees. They know their company is Mickey Mouse and is OK with selling crap.

I managed two manufacturing companies before retiring. I would tell my managers, "The speed of the captain is the speed of the crew". You lead by example.

BTW, I stated with Lee stuff and have some Lee stuff. Not a Lee hater but I am a realist. Buying a Lee progressive would be a foolish decision for the average person who wants a true progressive press. Lee has never made one that works well enough for the average person to figure out, so why would anyone roll the dice on their next iteration? Unless your name is Morris or MacGyver, good luck.

minerburns
10-21-2022, 09:34 AM
I got an email from John Lee on Aug 31 offering me one of 72 machines.
I believe I got it because I had visited their website and hit the button marked "notify me when back in stock".
There was a mention that these first presses were discounted because of a cosmetic defect.
I jumped right on it.
The next day I started a Facebook user group for this machine. (I also have one for the Lee ABLP/Pro 4000.)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/462694899071354/
Currently we have 149 members.
Lee has stated that more machines will be released around the end of October.
This press was easier to setup than the ABLP.

megasupermagnum
10-21-2022, 02:06 PM
I just checked my call history. I called Lee on both August 4th and August 30th (as well as September 29th). No emails from them in August. Like I said, I've been on both the Lee and Titan email list since at least June.

If you got one of these early presses, you were intentionally selected to get one for whatever reason. Maybe it was a random draw, who knows.

dverna
10-21-2022, 02:35 PM
I just checked my call history. I called Lee on both August 4th and August 30th (as well as September 29th). Like I said, I've been on both the Lee and Titan email list since at least June.

If you got one of these early presses, you were intentionally selected to get one for whatever reason.

You are very perceptive.

The companies I operated were about the same size as Lee. There is no rationale I can envision for the president of a company that size to get involved in who gets these "cosmetically defective" presses. There is more to the story IMO.

Post 118, from minerburns, makes it worse for Lee. I can see some flunky making a foolish decision to sell these, but it seems John Lee knew about this, and was personally involved.

GWS
10-21-2022, 04:43 PM
I put my name in for one of the blemished ones. Got an email back a week later that said, "very sorry to inform you that we've already sold all the blemished presses." signed by John's sister? or daughter, maybe? Anyway fresh out of luck on that one. ;) Probably just as well because I have all the progressives I need, others' needs are, I'm sure, more needful and important.

To be honest, I was wanting a new "winter project" to play with as I do less and less at work. Still may get one down the road.....I'm a curious type, and I'm an addicted modder. IOW's.....what can I do to make it better.....maybe nothing....but it'll be great fun trying. Besides, I then have an excuse to print my 5th set of bullet and case collators.

When I bought the APP when it first came out, I had similar needs and curiousity. Even before I bought it I was thinking what great upgrade to any single stage press......a bullet/case feeder!! I have an RCBS Summit press with similar open faced design, and thought how neat it would be with a few Lee APP parts!;) Finally got around to that mod and it came out pretty fair.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?354324-Making-that-Bullet-Collator&p=5442483&viewfull=1#post5442483

So I'm wondering what fun this new press can conjure up in 2023. :) Maybe I could add TylerR's caliber quick change to it?

dverna
10-21-2022, 06:03 PM
I put my name in for one the the blemished ones. Got an email back a week later that said, "very sorry to inform you that we've already sold all the blemished presses." signed by John's sister? or daughter, maybe? Anyway fresh out of luck on that one. ;) Probably just as well because I have all the progressives I need, others' needs are, I'm sure, more needful and important.

To be honest, I was wanting a new "winter project" to play with as I do less and less at work. Still may get one down the road.....I'm a curious type, and I'm an addicted modder. IOW's.....what can I do to make it better.....maybe nothing....but it'll be great fun trying. Besides, I then have an excuse to print my 5th set of bullet and case collators.

When I bought the APP when it first came out, I had similar needs and curiousity. Even before I bought it I was thinking what great upgrade to any single stage press......a bullet/case feeder!! I have an RCBS Summit press with similar open faced design, and thought how neat it would be with a few Lee APP parts!;) Finally got around to that mod and it came out pretty fair.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?354324-Making-that-Bullet-Collator&p=5442483&viewfull=1#post5442483

So I'm wondering what fun this new press can conjure up in 2023. :) Maybe I could add TylerR's caliber quick change to it?

You are the perfect beta tester for something like this, so I hope you get one and give people interested in this press the low down on it.

I see them on sale at Titan for $340 but "out of stock". I don't need one either but might get one just for giggles. Winters are long and cold here in MI...LOL. If they work, I could sell my 1050 stuff and get one for every caliber I load on the 1050 (9mm, .38) and have $1000+ left over. I don't shoot 15-20K rounds a year anymore so can get by with a slower machine if it is reliable.

GWS
10-21-2022, 06:33 PM
You are the perfect beta tester for something like this, so I hope you get one and give people interested in this press the low down on it.

I see them on sale at Titan for $340 but "out of stock". I don't need one either but might get one just for giggles. Winters are long and cold here in MI...LOL. If they work, I could sell my 1050 stuff and get one for every caliber I load on the 1050 (9mm, .38) and have $1000+ left over. I don't shoot 15-20K rounds a year anymore so can get by with a slower machine if it is reliable.

On your last point.....Exactly! That is why I won't buy a 1050 as good as it is. Not made for many small batches of many calibers. I'm NOT a competitor firing a 1000 rounds a month of 9mm.....or .223, and caliber change on one of those is NOT very fast.

I also bought the seven station RCBS Prochucker just because my curious got out of control.....believe it or not....it is my rifle press! I guarantee you the factory case feeder is not stock, and tho I bought their really nifty rifle "tube" bullet feeders.....they get fed by 3D printed electric collators, not hand fed tubes.

This is all about fun.....IMO having a ammo factory that is fast enough to supply the world is not my idea of fun. ;) Reasonably fast is good though.;)

megasupermagnum
10-21-2022, 07:24 PM
They are actually cheaper than that, you are looking at the kit price. The press alone is $239.59 at Titan, or it would be if Lee would release the press officially.

I too do not need another press, and I definitely don't need another project. I still have a flintlock I need to get together... and an engine into a truck now that I think of it. I still am interested in this 6 pack. All the pieces are there that I want to see in a modern progressive press. Lots of stations, easy to fill priming tray, wide open frame design, easy changeover.

dverna
10-22-2022, 05:11 PM
Joined the Facebook forum on this press. We are not hearing everything from the "Lee Lovers" on this forum. So far it is not "perfect".

Some presses shipped with "cracked bases". Lee is standing up and getting them replaced but it makes one wonder if there was no QC, poor QC, or just Lee's way to beta test the first 70 or so presses.

Some of the videos show a lot of bench flexing so I expect issues that will not be the fault of the press. Inexperienced reloaders do not value things like good press mounting.

MSM, yes, good catch. I will get the $240 option when it becomes available and after Lee gets its act together. I am no Morris, but decent with mechanical things. If the Six Pack works half way decent I will put my last 1050 up for sale. At 72, I do not need that much production from a machine. I will keep my 550 as a back up and buy two Six Packs. One set up for 9mm and one for .38 Spl.

I will give the Six Pack an honest try. If they work, they will set me back $500. I can sell the 1050 and extra tool heads for $1500 and be $1000 ahead. I am not expecting Dillon quality but "good enough" will be good enough.

I am concerned about the slew of plastic bits and pieces Lee is using. I used to work in the injection molding business and know stuff like that will not last. I will end up buying at least 4 spares of everything needed to run the presses. BTW, it is another justification to have two Six Packs and keep the 550.

At this point, I want to increase the chance of success. I plan not to add a bullet feeder and KISS. It must be able to feed cases and I would like to incorporate the Dillon Powder Check die.

If the primer system is as crappy as reported on other Lee's, it will be a fail for me. I will not prime off the press. If I need to deprime off the press it will be a fail as a true progressive, but I am willing to deprime off the press using the Lee APP. I will not be happy about needing to use the APP.

GWS
10-24-2022, 06:25 PM
They are in stock at Titan Reloading.....let the games begin. :)

Update.......and already....out of stock again. A feeding frenzy? Lee is good at causing them. I'll wait til the dust settles...I'm in no particular hurry.

Livelife got his "blemish" pre-order that was held up for a time...yesterday. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/lee-pro-6000-unboxing-and-testing-for-operational-consistency.911743/ Probably a production minus blemishes.;)

megasupermagnum
10-24-2022, 07:51 PM
Good, so I'm not crazy. I finally got the email from Titan, but when I went to look they said out of stock. I'm probably not going to buy one until after Christmas at this point. Too much to do now, and I need a new chainsaw first.

dverna
10-24-2022, 08:42 PM
Good, so I'm not crazy. I finally got the email from Titan, but when I went to look they said out of stock. I'm probably not going to buy one until after Christmas at this point. Too much to do now, and I need a new chainsaw first.

I sold my chainsaw this weekend. $300 to “waste” on a new Six Pack.

megasupermagnum
10-24-2022, 09:31 PM
I could get by with my current saw, but I'm getting sick of starting it over and over, being as it doesn't have a brake (it's older), I shut it off when moving. I think it's finally time I get a bigger saw, with a brake. Probably a Stihl 250.

deces
10-24-2022, 10:00 PM
I sold my chainsaw this weekend. $300 to “waste” on a new Six Pack.

I thought the expensive Dillon was on the chopping block.:kidding:

dverna
10-24-2022, 11:00 PM
I thought the expensive Dillon was on the chopping block.:kidding:

Not if Lee has produced another ***. If the Six Pack does not meet my expectations, both Dillon’s are paid for.

If the Lee works well, I will sell the 1050. I will share my experience with the members here. BTW, the Six Pack will be compared to the 550.

Either way the members here win. Either they get to know they can get a press as good as a Dillon for less money, or they know not to waste their hard earned money.

And I will be completely transparent. I am a Dillon lover because the only Dillon press that did not meet my expectations was the 900SL.

GWS
10-25-2022, 01:05 AM
I'm impressed with Livelife's picture review so far over on THR.org. When people get their own, betcha it'll be a useful source of initial info. What my problem is at the moment is figuring out where I'm going to put another press.....until I figure that out, I need to remain on hold.

Probably my only reservation so far is the priming system.....I'm hearing from Livelife that it feeds well down to three primers.....would prefer that number to be ..... zero...;) but probably not a deal breaker. Would be nice if there was a spring or something behind the primers to provide a little push.

deces
10-25-2022, 01:35 AM

Update.......and already....out of stock again. A feeding frenzy? Lee is good at causing them. I'll wait til the dust settles...I'm in no particular hurry.

Livelife got his "blemish" pre-order that was held up for a time...yesterday. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/lee-pro-6000-unboxing-and-testing-for-operational-consistency.911743/ Probably a production minus blemishes.;)

Thanks for posting that. I learned something new to me, about primers being marked as non-toxic.

dverna
10-25-2022, 08:15 AM

Thanks for posting this. I added it to my favorites and will keep updated.

dverna
10-25-2022, 08:37 AM
I'm impressed with Livelife's picture review so far over on THR.org. When people get their own, betcha it'll be a useful source of initial info. What my problem is at the moment is figuring out where I'm going to put another press.....until I figure that out, I need to remain on hold.

Probably my only reservation so far is the priming system.....I'm hearing from Livelife that it feeds well down to three primers.....would prefer that number to be ..... zero...;) but probably not a deal breaker. Would be nice if there was a spring or something behind the primers to provide a little push.

When I downsized my reloading set up, I only had enough space to mount three presses. The two Dillons are permanently mounted, and the third spot has an In-Line Fabrication mount for the two SS presses and sizers etc. So far that has been very workable.

As to the primer feed issue. I had numerous issues with gravity feed problems on a Green Machine I bought decades ago so I am not confident about it working well. A little bit of dirt and....

On the Spolar there is a small vibrator that runs for a couple of seconds to help feed primers and it worked well. I am thinking of trying something like that on the Six Pack if I can figure out how to mount it. But I expect keeping the primer trough clean and lubed (I use a silicone spray on primer tracks of shotshell reloaders) will become a regular routine on this press. That is acceptable IMO if it can go 2000 rounds between cleanings and is easy to do.

Kenstone
10-30-2022, 07:18 PM
Info on the sixpack most here may not have seen:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/lee-pro-6000-unboxing-and-testing-for-oal-consistency.911743/

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/lee-6000-press.905987/

Chapo
11-01-2022, 09:56 AM
I finally got my six pack pro press few days ago. Already broke the primer feed spring. But other than that, seems like a solid press. I can answer any questions you guys might have.

dverna
11-01-2022, 10:56 AM
I finally got my six pack pro press few days ago. Already broke the primer feed spring. But other than that, seems like a solid press. I can answer any questions you guys might have.

Did the spring fail due to forcing something, or is it a design flaw?

How will you prevent it from happening again?

guzma393
11-01-2022, 11:45 AM

Following, would like to know how this press fares out at a "true progressive". I haven't jumped the gun on one simply because I do not need another press, but the lee pro600 is supposedly the successor of the lee loadmaster and I'm considering getting one as a replacement to my lee loadmaster and lee acp combination, where I prime off the press using the lee ACP and to brass prep/progressive load with primed cases on my lee lm. I already have a lee ALBP, and that ran fine, but was too small for anything >223 length. A few questions:

- How's the indexing mechanism on the lee pro 6000? The lee ALBP index mechanism was a bit flimsy to my liking, indexing started to go out of timing the moment a jam along the shell plate happens (primarily caused by a partially decapped/sticky spent primer along a case seizing along the ram aperture) causing the index rod or plastic index clutch (mainly the aperture that receives the index rod) to deform. Spent moments where I had to either rebend the indexing rod or re-shape the indexing rod receiving aperture along the plastic index clutch using a butane soldering iron with a heating tip.

- Been seeing some posts about small quirks about the priming mechanism, but this is the first that I heard about the primer spring failing. Like the previous post, how did it fail?

GWS
11-01-2022, 09:26 PM

That ought to be an interesting story.....other that running over it, or stretching it across the room, I can't even imagine how you could break a spring. I needed an inch longer spring for my APP'd Summit project....and I found one at ACE Hardware. Stock was 3 inches and Ace had one just like it and a 4" one too......maybe check your local Ace if you want one fast. In their nut,bolts, and screws section.

Chapo
11-04-2022, 12:36 PM
The spring didn’t break. It kinked rendering the primer mechanism dead. Ordered one from Lee for free. The spring is very sturdy though. I think I was lowering and raising the ram to test the priming mechanism and must move the spring from its normal alignment and got trapped by the shell plate. Other than that it’s just another press that I didn’t need. It was a blem one but seems perfect to me. If you go to my channel I made a couple of videos about the press and spring. I didnt have to tinker at all with the press as I did with my old loadmaster.

The shell plate can easily misalign, but is very easy to align back. Just use your finger and tap it back to where it’s supposed to be.

GWS
11-04-2022, 04:26 PM
I see.....sounds like a working press, then....maybe just needing some TLC. Would still like to play with one.....but I got to come up with a need and a place to put it yet......gotta hurry before the Christmas stock is gone. ;) Sounds like a fun winter project to me.

Chapo
11-04-2022, 06:27 PM
There ya go!!

deces
11-06-2022, 05:34 PM
https://youtu.be/Ts2QN9WWDvI

deces
11-06-2022, 05:47 PM
https://youtu.be/EgkmzMX3YTc

GWS
11-07-2022, 08:14 PM
Grafs finally has em in stock.....at least for tonight.

I got a basic press ordered as I have everything else I need....except a shell plate, and I haven't decided which caliber to use this press for yet anyway. Time to start organizing the space......I have my winter entertainment coming.....wife will be thrilled....as we will call it done for her Christmas shopping for me.

I will be using one of my several case activated Uniflows to feed powder...so will be testing that option instead of Lees stock one.

deces
11-07-2022, 08:18 PM

I got a basic press ordered as I have everything else I need....except a shell plate, and I haven't decided which caliber to use this press for yet anyway. Time to start organizing the space......I have my winter entertainment coming.....wife will be thrilled....as we will call it done for her Christmas shopping for me.

Congratulations, GSW! Let us all know what you think of it, when it comes.

dverna
11-08-2022, 08:49 AM

I will be using one of my several case activated Uniflows to feed powder...so will be testing that option instead of Lees stock one.

Thanks for posting!!!

I just ordered a .38/.357 Kit. I need a winter project too...LOL.

Did not "need" the kit, as I have a full set up for the 1050, but I want to evaluate what a new reloader can expect who is starting out with a 6000. Therefore, how the powder measure, and case feeder work comes into play.

I figure you will put one of the 3D case feeders on yours. It will be great to have your review of how that works.

GWS
11-08-2022, 09:57 AM
I figure you will put one of the 3D case feeders on yours. It will be great to have your review of how that works.

Yup! This one, which I previously posted running 9mm at full speed.....and yes at that speed it caught a case and tested the nifty built-in clutch nicely. Added a speed control and it became a wonderful pistol case feeder....for .9mm, .40, .357, and .45....heck it even worked for .223, but I use a bigger one with lay down slots for that.

https://youtu.be/U-a7gFfGDOw

So you may surmise, I decided on 9mm, but had to order a 9mm shell plate from Titan. Grafs were out of those too. Hoping the basic press comes with the primer trays....

If you slow that down to crawl speed you will see flaws in that 2 or three fell mouth down. What was most interesting was that zero fed to the press that way. Only explanation possible is the free fall into the tube allowed gravity to turn them heavy side down. I have yet to feed even one mouth down. Weird, but I'll take weird if it works. The other three calibers did not have that. I suppose hole size was the reason.....but I do like that one plate works for all. Easier caliber change.

jmorris
11-08-2022, 10:03 AM
So you may surmise, I decided on 9mm, but had to order a 9mm shell plate from Titan. Grafs were out of those too. Hoping the basic press comes with the primer trays....

Wonder if they still use a too large shell plate for 9mm, like they do on the loadmaster (same shell plate for 9mm as 40 S&W. Caused priming issues on that press without using another die to properly locate the case for priming. Still don’t understand why they did that vs just make another shell plate to sell…probably would have helped many frustrated with that press over the years.

GWS
11-08-2022, 10:19 AM
Didn't remember that.....thanks for the heads up. First thing I'll report on. I can't believe I'm actually going to do 9mm!;) I don't even have a pistol in that caliber....just two grandsons that I load for.

Of all my pistols I shoot a Ruger SR40 the best....it just seems natural (obviously a personal fit thing). So I never bought anything smaller.....and my wife likes the heavier .45......but its not for carry.....she won't do that anyway. So when this is set up I will probably buy one for her to try.....maybe she will even like it enough to carry one.

GWS
11-11-2022, 11:03 AM
Wonder if they still use a too large shell plate for 9mm, like they do on the loadmaster (same shell plate for 9mm as 40 S&W. Caused priming issues on that press without using another die to properly locate the case for priming. Still don’t understand why they did that vs just make another shell plate to sell…probably would have helped many frustrated with that press over the years.

Well since they are supplying a "9mm/.40 plate" the answer to your question is yes. Were they able to tighten it up enough to work better I will find out today when the press comes in. I already received the plate yesterday. The .40 goes in with zero play, ZERO. so there's no room for slightly out of Sammi spec, .40, that's for sure! ;) Yes, a little play with the 9mm. They didn't start making 9mm wider. ;) We will see how much it causes a problem.

dverna
11-11-2022, 12:32 PM
The 9mm/.40 shell plate issue is a glaring example of dumb things Lee will do to save a few dollars. With the 9mm being one of the most popular rounds it makes no sense at all.

My Six Pack should arrive today as well.

GWS
11-11-2022, 03:01 PM
The 9mm/.40 shell plate issue is a glaring example of dumb things Lee will do to save a few dollars. With the 9mm being one of the most popular rounds it makes no sense at all.

My Six Pack should arrive today as well.

Actually, when you think about it, this one fer two loses them money. They would sell two rather than one. ;) Nobody is going to not buy a $25 shell plate needed for their gun.
But I was noticing that while there's a little play maybe not enough to matter. In fact, I remember back in the 70's the smart thing to do on RockChuckers was to loosen the spring holding the shell holders in, so the upward thrust of the ram had a change to center the case perfectly......maybe I have more to worry about the .40 being thrust not quite center in a no-give shell plate to an imperfect press.....and ALL presses are. Betting it all works.

megasupermagnum
11-11-2022, 03:46 PM
While I can understand the need for a specal 9mm X-press shell holder for the APP, maybe it's just me but I've had zero issues with Lee's standard shell holder for 9mm, and I don't know anyone who has. I guess I can understand the issue with having it centered on a progressive for priming if you don't want to use a a die in that station. Now with the 6 pack I don't see why that would be a problem. Yes it seems it would make sense for Lee to sell a 9mm specific shell plate, but I'm not sure it would help that much, and it might even cause issues with how many variations of 9mm luger and 9x19 are out there.

Kenstone
11-11-2022, 04:43 PM
While I can understand the need for a specal 9mm X-press shell holder for the APP, maybe it's just me but I've had zero issues with Lee's standard shell holder for 9mm, and I don't know anyone who has. I guess I can understand the issue with having it centered on a progressive for priming if you don't want to use a a die in that station. Now with the 6 pack I don't see why that would be a problem. Yes it seems it would make sense for Lee to sell a 9mm specific shell plate, but I'm not sure it would help that much, and it might even cause issues with how many variations of 9mm luger and 9x19 are out there.

Well, it has been a problem in the past, it was minimized on the Loadmaster by adding a die in station 2 to center the case, as priming is done on the TOP of the stroke.

That does not work for presses that prime at the bottom, like the Pro1000, ABLP, or Pro6000.
There is a common mod to deal with the off-center 9mm case in the 19s shell plates.
It's simply a wire glued in the shell plate case cavity to keep the case from going too far into the case cavity.

This fix is to minimized primer flipping during the primer seating operation.
jmo,

dverna
11-11-2022, 07:45 PM
Well, it has been a problem in the past, it was minimized on the Loadmaster by adding a die in station 2 to center the case, as priming is done on the TOP of the stroke.

That does not work for presses that prime at the bottom, like the Pro1000, ABLP, or Pro6000.
There is a common mod to deal with the off-center 9mm case in the 19s shell plates.
It's simply a wire glued in the shell plate case cavity to keep the case from going too far into the case cavity.

This fix is to minimized primer flipping during the primer seating operation.
jmo,

I wonder if a .380 shell plate can be ground out a bit using a conical stone in a Dremel tool? .010" increase in radius should do it.

megasupermagnum
11-11-2022, 08:12 PM
One thing that came to my mind is the 6 pack has a new shell retention setup that appears to be spring loaded arms. I wonder if those might provide some self centering abilities. I'm only speculating and hoping for the best. Keep us updated how things go. I'll likely buy one eventually, but I don't load 9mm anymore, so I'm no help.

GWS
11-13-2022, 08:14 PM
One thing that came to my mind is the 6 pack has a new shell retention setup that appears to be spring loaded arms. I wonder if those might provide some self centering abilities. I'm only speculating and hoping for the best. Keep us updated how things go. I'll likely buy one eventually, but I don't load 9mm anymore, so I'm no help.

I got the press, but I'm still waiting for the Inline Fabrications quick change mount. There's two parts to shell retention, the 3d printed black ring around the whole plate, and the pivots in several places. The pivots would be better if they were spring loaded like RCBS progressives, but they are not....just very tight pivots, that have to be swung closed, touching the shell plate and swung open to remove a case. Easiest done with a blade screwdriver....but if you got strong finger nails that works too. :) And BTW, yes, RCBS's shell retention springs do provide self centering abilities. I have a Pro 2000 and a Pro Chucker 7.....this will be my 3rd progressive.

I'll be honest, even knowing Lee tends to build small, I was a bit surprised how small. ;) If it works as advertised without breaking easily, I don't care....in fact a plus. We will see.

deces
11-21-2022, 02:08 AM
Primmer change quick swap.

https://youtu.be/GQvXQjP_lk4

jetinteriorguy
11-21-2022, 07:32 AM
I think the only thing about the priming system that concerns me is that they use the same size ram for pushing the primer in. I’m not totally comfortable using a ram made for small primers to also seat large primers.

GWS
11-21-2022, 10:40 AM
Yes that concerned me the first day I discovered they only used one. I am assured over on THR, that it doesn't mar the large primers. We will see. I am supposed to be getting my Inline F. press mount today.....excited to finally to be able to see for myself.

jetinteriorguy
11-22-2022, 08:15 AM
Yes that concerned me the first day I discovered they only used one. I am assured over on THR, that it doesn't mar the large primers. We will see. I am supposed to be getting my Inline F. press mount today.....excited to finally to be able to see for myself.
That surprises me according to my experience. I once loaded up some ammo for my .41mag on my Lee turret and didn’t realize I’d forgotten to change the primer ram from small to large. After around 20 rounds I noticed sort of an indentation in the primers and discovered my mistake. But, they all fired just fine at the range even though there was a definite mark from the small primer ram.

GWS
11-22-2022, 10:27 AM
That surprises me according to my experience. I once loaded up some ammo for my .41mag on my Lee turret and didn’t realize I’d forgotten to change the primer ram from small to large. After around 20 rounds I noticed sort of an indentation in the primers and discovered my mistake. But, they all fired just fine at the range even though there was a definite mark from the small primer ram.

Exactly! my experience too, and why I was surprised/concerned. I said, I'd see for myself. Doh.....I only bought the 9mm die plate.....don't think I'll be able to test big primers just yet....I'll ask 9mmepiphany over on THR, who I know set up for .45 acp first, to check it out and report.

jetinteriorguy
11-22-2022, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=jetinteriorguy;5490657]That surprises me according to my experience. I once loaded up some ammo for my .41mag on my Lee turret and didn’t realize I’d forgotten to change the primer ram from small to large. After around 20 rounds I noticed sort of an indentation in the primers and discovered my mistake. But, they all fired just fine at the range even though there was a definite mark from the small primer ram.[/QUOTE
I’m actually mistaken, old memory. It was when I was priming with my hand primer this happened, not using the priming system on the Lee Turret.

GWS
11-22-2022, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=jetinteriorguy;5490657]That surprises me according to my experience. I once loaded up some ammo for my .41mag on my Lee turret and didn’t realize I’d forgotten to change the primer ram from small to large. After around 20 rounds I noticed sort of an indentation in the primers and discovered my mistake. But, they all fired just fine at the range even though there was a definite mark from the small primer ram.[/QUOTE
I’m actually mistaken, old memory. It was when I was priming with my hand primer this happened, not using the priming system on the Lee Turret.

Just got a report from the guy doing .45 ACP on his 6000. Absolutely no indication of denting or marking the big primers.....I don't know how they accomplish that....but I'm not complaining.

jetinteriorguy
11-23-2022, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=jetinteriorguy;5490844]

Just got a report from the guy doing .45 ACP on his 6000. Absolutely no indication of denting or marking the big primers.....I don't know how they accomplish that....but I'm not complaining.

Sounds good. I’m hoping this press works good for people and proves that Lee can put out a progressive press that just plain works. I’m not really looking at getting one since I’m pretty well covered with my Lee Classic Cast turret press and my Dillon 550B. I bought the Dillon used and it had been somewhat neglected. So I disassembled and cleaned it. I reassembled it according to all the videos on their website. I did wind up replacing a number of parts by purchasing them, and this was when their website and system was having problems. It also took a fair amount of tweaking on the priming system. But once it was all said and done it’s run like a champ and I now have all the knowledge and tools to work on it in the future. Once Dillons site was up and working they responded to my emails and warranted all the parts I had previously purchased so now I have spares. They also replaced free of charge some parts that were missing and I had tried to purchase, can’t beat that.

deces
11-26-2022, 12:31 AM
I guess Lee should start making a 6 pack of breech lock bushings with two different colors now.