PDA

View Full Version : Hit a personal best

Patrick L
05-17-2022, 10:23 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this. We don't really have a "shotgun" area. I also posted this on another forum, thought some of you might like it too.

So Saturday I shot sporting clays with my usual SC gun, a typical "target" gun, a 30" 12 gauge Browning clays gun. I'm not a super great clay shot, but I really like to hit like 80 out of 100. Well, let's just say it didn't happen. Just shot stupid. Missed lots of easy ones. Head was somewhere else.

So Sunday I said the heck with it. Decided to just have fun. I shot my old 20 ga 26" Citori. Ultimate grouse gun, not really a first choice for sporting, DEFINITELY not what the winners shoot.

I broke 87 with that darn thing.!!! Although I think I did hit a 90 once in the past, that was at a course that was known for being "light." I consider Sunday my personal best.

Ajax111
05-17-2022, 11:16 AM
If your head was some place else, it doesn't matter what gun you are shooting.
You said it best when you said "Decided to just have fun". You took a lot of pressure off.
Congratulation on shooting well!

Der Gebirgsjager
05-17-2022, 11:50 AM
Ahhhh....but we do have a section for "Shotguns". Recently instituted by No_1, ever responsive to popular demand, you'll find it located in the "Guns & Shooting" section of the Forum between "Rimfire Area" and "Single Shot Guns". I'll attempt to move your thread to that location so that fellow shotgunners can appreciate the report of your fine shooting and ownership of a Browning.

DG

Patrick L
05-17-2022, 12:34 PM
Guess my head is STILL someplace else! Sorry about that, thanks for relocating it!

Half Dog
05-17-2022, 05:08 PM
Yay for you. Care to share specifics? Like reload data, shot size, chokes etc... I would love to hear that too.

Patrick L
05-17-2022, 06:35 PM
It was a basic target reload, Alliant 20/28 (I won't quote a charge from memory and I'm not home. But definitely an Alliant sanctioned load). 7/8 oz #7 1/2, Claybuster wad. Nothing special.

Shot SKT/IC for all but four stations. Went IC/MOD for two that have a slightly longer presentation, and went SKT/SKT for two "in your face" stations. Really nothing special.

I think the most special thing was I was having fun with an old friend that fits like a glove and is full of special memories.