PDA

View Full Version : Cody, Wyoming

beemer
05-16-2022, 11:45 PM
My wife and have never done a lot of traveling. After a road trip to Texas last year we decided to do another. We flew out of Charlotte, NC last Saturday, changed flights in Dallas and flew into Billings,Montana. I am now setting in Cody, Wyoming. We spent part of the day at the Bufallo Bill Museum, mostly the Firearms Museum, going back tomorrow.

This is absolutly beautiful country with a lot of interesting history. We are going toward Yellowstone in a couple days. The only other time I have flown was a short hop on a bi-plane, it was interesting. This is a big deal for us and we are really having a good time.

Dave

Alasgun
05-16-2022, 11:56 PM
Since you are that close, go up to Big Timber and check out the Sharps rifle co’s. I believe both are still operating on the same street!!

megasupermagnum
05-17-2022, 12:16 AM
Yellowstone is pretty cool, but it's peak season right now. I'm sure it will be super busy, so just plan on waiting in line. I've only been there once. It's worth seeing.

GL49
05-17-2022, 12:48 AM
Keep on telling us about Cody, and Big Timber if you pass through there.
My son is moving to Billings in June, my wife and I are going to spend a week there to help my son and his wife move and get settled in their new home. I've already told my wife I need to take a couple of day trips, one to Big Timber and one to Cody. If I could figure a way to talk her into going to Freedom Wyoming, I'd make a stop there also.

pworley1
05-17-2022, 06:36 AM
I hope you have a great trip.

bedbugbilly
05-17-2022, 07:07 AM
Good for you and your wife! Enjoy every minute together and enjoy all the great things to see!

vhntr1
05-17-2022, 07:14 AM
Congrats glad you are taking the time to enjoy life,it goes by too quick.Ive been working the family business for 39yr ,my wife and i are starting to do more before we are to old next years list is going to shot the quigley rifle match enjoy your trip.
God Bless

memtb
05-17-2022, 09:36 AM
beemer, Really glad you made the trip and are enjoying yourselves! It’s a shame that you’re about 2 weeks early for the opening of Beartooth Pass over to Red Lodge, Mt……weather permitting! It’s a beautiful drive.

While in Cody, if you have an extra few hours, visit the Old Trail Town! I always thought it was just a tourist trap, but went there 2 years ago with my son’s family. It is a collection of homes, churches, schools, ect. disassembled from their original location then reassembled in Cody. A real good insight into how people lived “and died” in our area.

Maybe I’m biased, but I found it to be a good snapshot back into our history! memtb

RickinTN
05-17-2022, 09:41 AM
I was last there is 2006. Hopefully the Erma hotel still has it's dinner buffet. On the way into Yellowstone be sure to stop at Pahaska Teepee, I think I spelled it correctly. A short or medium stack of pancakes for breakfast is plenty, maybe for two, trust me. Lots to see in Yellowstone. Pahaska Teepee is within sight of the east entrance to the park.
Enjoy your trip!
Rick

PS I believe I remember Pahaska Teepee means "White haired's camp" for Buffalo Bill Cody.

Good Cheer
05-17-2022, 09:46 AM
Goodness gracious beemer, good for you!

MT Gianni
05-17-2022, 10:01 AM
Yellowstone is pretty cool, but it's peak season right now. I'm sure it will be super busy, so just plan on waiting in line. I've only been there once. It's worth seeing.

You can still get ahead of the crowds if you get there before Memorial day. If you want to see wildlife there, be out and about before sunup and after sunset.

rockrat
05-17-2022, 10:09 AM
Wife and I were up that way last July for our 30th. Stayed around Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks for a few days. Ended up at Jackson Hole then down to Freedom (spot in the road kind of) to check out F.A. but they were still closed from the extended 4th of July holiday. Big Horn Armory is down the road from Cody, IIRC. If you make it to West Yellowstone, there is a bakery there with Huckleberry Scones----mmmmmgood.
Beautiful country there

scattershot
05-17-2022, 10:36 AM
Cody is a great place, lots of history. The Erma Hotel was mentioned.It was actually built by Buffalo Bill and named for his daughter. The ornate bar was a gift from Queen Victoria, I believe. Glad you plan to go back to the firearms museum. Be sure to see the other parts of the museum, also.

The country gets prettier as you drive toward Yellowstone, and the view of Yellowstone Lake is breathtaking. Plan to spend several days in the park, it’s gigantic.

Enjoy your trip.

Baltimoreed
05-17-2022, 10:48 AM
Cody is terrific. My wife and I drove from NC out there so I could shoot the Wyoming State SASS match along with 4 days in Yellowstone. Did multiple visits to the museum, gunshops and ate at The Irma a bunch too. Met our son and grandson there [they drove up from Ft Worth] and stayed in a cabin. Beautiful place. We did the promenade walk through town wearing our guns and outfits for the Irma photo. The photo is of my wife and grandson taken at the banquet. He’s 22 now. We also went to Mt Rushmore going west and hit Deadwood on the return trip. Wonderful trip.

36g
05-17-2022, 11:12 AM
When you are finished in Yellowstone head north on Hwy 89 to Livingston, MT. A nice little town with personality. If you like custom leather goods check out Word of Mouth Leather for custom holsters, saddles, Western gear, etc. I spent 5 weeks there in January/February on a film project and had a wonderful time. If you like antiques I recommend an antique mall in Bozeman that has a pretty eclectic mix with some good Western flavored selections.

waksupi
05-17-2022, 11:28 AM
North out of Yellowstone, Bannock, Virginia City, and Nevada City are worth some time. Big Hole Battlefield isn't far from those. Cross on over to Hwy, 93, go north a bit, and drive the Skalkaho pass highway. Gravel road most of the way, but a scenic back road few tourists know about. Ends up at Phillipsburg, neat little town, and you can pan for sapphires.
I'm pretty sure the Irma is still open, but I seem to remember hearing Old Town may have been closed, not sure though.

beemer
05-17-2022, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the comments, we are staying in the Irma Inn and doing the lunch buffet shortly. I visited the Old Trail Town yesterday, it is not a large place but well worth seeing. There are several buildings used by Butch Cassidy and the grave of Jeremiah Johnston. Also a small museum with some nice artifacts.

I am really hoping to get back to Billings in time to go to the Little Big Horn Battlefield.

Old Trail Town made me think of a place near Hickory, NC called Hart's Square. A local heart surgeon named Hart built a 1820 village with local restored cabins. Including a working water powered corn mill and cotton gin powered by horses. You can only get in once a year. He brings in old craftsmen, tinkers, cobblers, weavers, woodworkers and wheel wrights. It is quite a show.

Dave

memtb
05-17-2022, 03:46 PM
A note about Yellowstone: Spring, Fall and Winter are great….the “other” season not so much! memtb

Beerd
05-17-2022, 05:27 PM
my wife & I stayed at the Irma for our #5 anniversary.
important hint: Remember to put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign. Housekeeping doesn't always knock ;)

Cast10
05-17-2022, 06:40 PM
Been in Cody, Yellowstone country. BEEEEutiful! If I were ever to move from Texas, Wyoming would be on the list!

RickinTN
05-17-2022, 10:35 PM
If you get a chance and do go back to the firearms museum pay particular attention looking for Texas Jack's firearms. Sometimes they are on display and sometimes they are not. They were not on display in 2003 but were in 2006. Texas Jack was Buffalo Bills riding partner and they started the wild west show together. He was also My great -grandfathers' brother.
Enjoy the trip,
Rick

trails4u
05-18-2022, 12:15 AM
Thanks for all the comments, we are staying in the Irma Inn and doing the lunch buffet shortly. I visited the Old Trail Town yesterday, it is not a large place but well worth seeing. There are several buildings used by Butch Cassidy and the grave of Jeremiah Johnston. Also a small museum with some nice artifacts.

I am really hoping to get back to Billings in time to go to the Little Big Horn Battlefield.

Old Trail Town made me think of a place near Hickory, NC called Hart's Square. A local heart surgeon named Hart built a 1820 village with local restored cabins. Including a working water powered corn mill and cotton gin powered by horses. You can only get in once a year. He brings in old craftsmen, tinkers, cobblers, weavers, woodworkers and wheel wrights. It is quite a show.

Dave

We've done Hart's Square... Definitely worth the trip!

uscra112
05-18-2022, 12:36 AM
Was there ~ 2010. Only thing that has stuck with me is that they had Bill's actual buffalo rifle off with a large exhibit on the geology of the area. Unrestored. It's a plain trapdoor Springfield, not one of the glamour makes.

sundog
05-18-2022, 08:12 AM
Buffalo Bill Dam and Visitor Center is an interesting place, also.

farmbif
05-18-2022, 08:15 AM
where is the eye candy? pictures, pictures, pictures. as I sit here watching the grass grow, would be nice to see different and interesting things.

5Shot
05-18-2022, 03:48 PM
We were there last August. Spent time in Cody at the Museum and then headed to Yellowstone. Got snowed on in Yellowstone, and didn't see much wildlife (we were just driving through). Did get a nice shot of a Bighorn though.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52083459240_005122c98d_c.jpg

popper
05-18-2022, 03:57 PM
Be sure to go down the falls ladders. Look for a collection of cars at the turnouts - usually bears feeding on elk or bison. You need a good spotting scope. Took the kids on the back trail cookout, was fun, about 30 yrs ago.

36g
05-18-2022, 04:26 PM
Was in Paradise Valley (about half way between Yellowstone and Livingston, MT) in January. Here's a photo of one of the sets that were used.

We saw fresh wolf tracks in the snow in the mornings. About a month ago a hiker was killed by a grizzly about three miles from here...

05-18-2022, 04:35 PM
The Cody firearms museum is terrific. Movie guns, historic guns, even a matched pair of revolvers from John Linebaugh. The Little big Horn isn't too far, either. Went there about 55 years ago and then a return trip two years ago. Well worth it. I love that part of the country. Wish I could get the wife to go there (permanently).

bubbadoyle
05-18-2022, 06:12 PM
I grew up in Sheridan Wyoming. I played my share of sports in Cody Wyoming. It was my favorite place to play. Pretty touristy, but lots to do and see. My sons name is Cody and this is no coincidence, he was named after Cody Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Huskerguy
05-18-2022, 07:58 PM
Wife and I were there last fall. We loved the Cody Museum, we through every foot of it for several days. On the trip we also went to Devil's Tower and the Little Big Horn Battlefield. My last name is Custer so it is a place I wanted to see for many years. Loved it and it makes a lot more sense when you see the area. We have been to Yellowstone several times before so most of that was repeat, like Old Faithful. West Yellowstone is a hoot.

Since we spent several days in the town, we talked to a lot of locals. The weather can be brutal there. It doesn't snow that much because of the mountains but the wind blows like crazy from every direction and it gets miserable. Every local said the same thing. Snow is either nowhere or 4 feet deep from the wind.

Beerd
05-25-2022, 11:58 AM
beemer,
Hope you had a good & memorable visit.

beemer
05-27-2022, 10:44 AM
We had a great trip, returned home on the 25 th. We didn't have time to do everything but spent most of three days in Yellowstone. We got back to Billings in time to go to the Little Bighorn Battle Ground. Beautiful country in Wyoming and Montana and a lot of history there.

We left Billings and headed for Dallas on the 24 th and got caught in the storms. A less than three hour flight turned into a five hour flight. We flew circles north of Texas for most of two hours. The Dallas airport was shut down for a while and our connecting flight was cancelled. We were stuck in the airport lounge for the night but found another that mourning. Funny thing was everyone we talked to wanted to send us to Miami and then lost out luggage. But everything was worked out and we made it home in fine shape.

Thanks for the interest and comments, some pointed me in the right direction.

Dave