PDA

View Full Version : 50-70?

LIMPINGJ
01-24-2009, 10:52 AM
I am wanting to get another Sharps and have decided on one in 50-70. I want this to be one I can carry around on walks so am looking to keep the weight down. The military Carbine looks interesting, does anyone have hane anything they would share about this model? How does the rear sight work for plinking and hunting as opposed to the orginal combat use? I had heard they shoot high. I also would consider another model with a shorter barrel. I have a Saddle Rifle in 45-110 that I use for hunting but even it is a little heavy to carry just for fun on walks. Does any have a Saddle or Business Rifle in 50 cal and what does it weigh. The extra metal removed for a 50 cal might get the weight down around what I am looking for.

BPCR Bill
01-24-2009, 11:50 AM
I am wanting to get another Sharps and have decided on one in 50-70. I want this to be one I can carry around on walks so am looking to keep the weight down. The military Carbine looks interesting, does anyone have hane anything they would share about this model? How does the rear sight work for plinking and hunting as opposed to the orginal combat use? I had heard they shoot high. I also would consider another model with a shorter barrel. I have a Saddle Rifle in 45-110 that I use for hunting but even it is a little heavy to carry just for fun on walks. Does any have a Saddle or Business Rifle in 50 cal and what does it weigh. The extra metal removed for a 50 cal might get the weight down around what I am looking for.Limping, my first Shiloh Sharps was a 50-90 Buisness rifle and it weighed in at nine pounds. That had a 28 inch tapered round barrel, standard military butt and plate. I found the 50's are best suited for stalking elk in black timber, closer in shots. And I wouldn't classify it as a "Plinker".

Regards,
Bill

Boerrancher
01-24-2009, 12:07 PM
The military Carbine looks interesting, does anyone have have anything they would share about this model? How does the rear sight work for plinking and hunting as opposed to the orginal combat use?

I can't comment on the military carbine in a 50-70 but I have one in the 45-70. I like the rear sight, but I didn't like the front sight on it. It shot like all military models about 12 inches high at 100 yds. I built up the front sight and now it it shoots 2 inches high at 100 yds, just the way I want it to.

My 45-70 carbine is not a plinking gun by any means. I shot 20 rounds off the bench the other day, 10 loaded with 77 grs of 3F and a 340 gr boolit, and the other 10 loaded with 66 grs of 2F on a 405 HB boolit. My shoulder and part of my ribs are black with one great big huge bruse. I am fairly young and I don't bruse easily. Either of those loads makes my 300 win mag with 85.5 grs of 4831 on a 165 gr BTHP recoil like a 22 rimfire.

I will say that if you want to shoot 16 to 18 grs of unique on a 405 gr boolit the recoil is not bad at all. Just remember that the military carbine is about a 6 lb rifle.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

LIMPINGJ
01-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I usually will not fire a handfull of shots when I am on a walk maybe just one in deer season so I like something easy to carry. I just like the Sharps and would like one light enough to not be much notice while woods walking.

Boerrancher
01-24-2009, 08:07 PM
I like my Cavalry Carbine, and it is a good carry around gun because it is light. It could shoot a bit better than it does, it shoots good enough to kill a 'yote out to 100+ yds, but it is no target rifle. The front sight will most likely have to be reworked but I can't complain about my Carbine, just remember it is a carbine and not a target rifle.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

NickSS
01-25-2009, 06:05 AM
I have an 1874 hunters carbine by C Sharps in 50-70. It has the military butt plate and a round fairly light weight 26 inch barrel. I bought this rifle a couple years ago for the same reason you are looking for and as a hunting rifle it is great. I use a semi buckhorn rear sight and a blade front sight for hunting and put on a tang sight for target shooting. To date I have only killed one elk with it but the 450 gr Lyman slug pushed by 70 gr of FFG GOEX did the job expeditiously. I use a shoulder recoil pad when I am target shooting with it as it kicks a bit. One thing I seamed to notice about the two animals I killed with a 50-70 (the other was a young cow buffalo shot with my 1866 Springfield) was that the 50 cal seams to kill a bit quicker with a BP load than does a 45-70 with a 400 gr slug.

EDK
01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
My pal bobw (from over at shilohrifle.com/forums) shoots a 50/140 with paper patch boolits around 500 grains at Quigley...gun weights around 10 pounds. Bob scares off the rattlesnakes and clears the dust off the firing line with that cannon!

My 50/90 is a 34 inch Long Range Express with 34 inch barrel AND a recoil reducer installed by Shiloh when they built the gun AND it weights almost 14 pounds.

Do some searches over at shilohrifle.com/forums for Orville and 50s and twist rates. I'd order a Business Rifle/ Montana Rough Rider/Saddle Rifle or ? with a 26 inch barrel in the slow twist...1:36 so it would stabilize original weight boolits in a 50 (My LRX has standard 1:22 and likes 600 grain+) with a standard weight barrel. You definitely want the shotgun butt...I have it in checkered steel on mine. Put sling swivels on it and the sights of your choice.

If you get it too light, it won't be much fun to shoot. Too heavy and you leave it at home. You want something with horsepower as a lightweight carry rifle...go get a 45/70 Marlin Guide Gun!

:redneck::cbpour::Fire:

StrawHat
02-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I am wanting to get another Sharps and have decided on one in 50-70. I want this to be one I can carry around on walks so am looking to keep the weight down.

I like the 50-70 and have a trapdoor and a rolling block so chambered. For a walking around Sharps, have you considered the Lil Sharps as imported by Charles Daly? Cambered in 45 Colt it would make a nice walk about rifle and capable of whitetail and maybe a bit more.

http://www.charlesdaly.com/cowboylg.asp

About 3/4 the size of the full scale 1874 Model.

http://www.gunblast.com/CharlesDaly-LittleSharps.htm

Ron B.
02-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Hello Limping & Gang!
I really like the 50-70 cartridge, owning one Trapdoor, and and original Sharps carbine in the caliber. I seldom shoot the carbine; due to it's age, and value. But, the Trapdoor gets used regularly. Both rifles are amazingly accurate. My reloads/castings are mild; averaging 1050fps, or so. The Carbine is a very handy, and light weapon. And, if may I add; potent! One of the pictures includes a target; the results from my short 60 yard range. Here's a pic, or two; I hope you don't mind? If so, let me know and I'll remove them.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/50-70s.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/Dec-2200.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/ShpsGrdLsVu.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm126/GoldenRoyBoy/ShpsRSVu.jpg

Thanks!
GRB

Gellot Wilde
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Wow, that Sharps carbine looks new, I have one but compared to yours mine is a real piece of junk.

Very nice to see indeed.

Ron B.
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Thank you Gellot Wilde!
My apologies for the smudgy photos. One of these days, I plan on learning how to use this new fangled digital! :)

GRB