PDA

View Full Version : Did you know that.....

BCRider
05-13-2022, 08:06 PM
.... molten lead is corrosive to copper?

About 8 years ago I made the side pour ladle shown in the pics below from a 1" copper end cap and a piece of steel flat stock for the handle. A few hours ago I was happily casting some dead soft round ball for my cap and ball pistols for an upcoming cowboy action match. And I noticed that the level in the cup was dropping faster than it used to do.... Like it was pouring without me even tipping the ladle.

I knocked it clean and looked it over only to see the holes you see in the second pic showing light through at me.

I suppose 8 years and probably 3000 round ball isn't a bad life span for this quickly home made ladle.... :D

rancher1913
05-13-2022, 08:24 PM
more likely zinc in the mix, if lead was corrosive to copper they would not have used it for plumbing for umpteen years before switching to tin for health reasons

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-13-2022, 09:58 PM
I don't think corrosive is the correct word.
Molten Pb "absorbs" Cu

Winger Ed.
05-13-2022, 11:34 PM
This is exactly the reason why you need to get yourself a new electric pot and cast Iron ladle.

1hole
05-14-2022, 11:23 AM
I don't think corrosive is the correct word.
Molten Pb "absorbs" Cu

There's the answer. Molten lead literally dissolves exposed copper and they become a surface alloy. That's how/why solder (tin + lead) is used to make electrical joints, why copper (and brass) pipe connections are soldered and it's why the copper tips of soldering irons dissolve away.

super6
05-14-2022, 11:50 AM
Humm..A sacrificial ladle, Should add some hardness to the melt!

BCRider
05-14-2022, 07:55 PM
I hope not!

It lasted 8 years and a few thousand round ball and .38-55 boolits and I just bought another one for $3..... Geez copper stuff has gotten pricey.

A cast ladle would be nice. But it'll be a Lyman with the side pour spout that fends off the junk floating on top. I think I'll order one up through my favorite local purveyor....

In the meantime there's balls to be cast! So I give you Ladle 2 - The Pheonix Ladle! Old handle, new cup. With the slick and great working side pour spout drilled then formed in on the upper area and out a little on the chin of the spout to make a nice no drip spout lip. And a cut down 2 1/4 common bright nail (no zinc wanted for me) as a rivet.