PDA

View Full Version : Pan lubing; how deep?

Idaho45guy
05-12-2022, 11:06 PM
Easy question. Doing my first pan lubing this week using DGL and 520 grain "Money" booolits.

When loaded, the top lube groove is exposed since that is the depth that my chamber likes. Should I still lube that groove, even though it is exposed?

hawkenhunter50
05-12-2022, 11:13 PM
I lube all mine even when exposed. If using for target shooting and matches should be ok. Just keep them clean. My BPCR load has 2 grooves exposed out of the case.

Idaho45guy
05-12-2022, 11:32 PM
I lube all mine even when exposed. If using for target shooting and matches should be ok. Just keep them clean. My BPCR load has 2 grooves exposed out of the case.

Thanks!

Bazoo
05-13-2022, 10:36 AM
I would try just the enclosed grooves to see if it’s enough. But I don’t like exposed lube.

Green Frog
05-13-2022, 10:51 AM
Generally speaking, when lubing for black powder, “More is better”. The only downside of lubing exposed grease grooves is the tendency toward contamination. If you are keeping the loaded rounds in a clean, well enclosed container, I would advise lube in all grooves. “Remember, free advice is worth every penny you pay for it!”
Froggie

45DUDE
05-13-2022, 10:55 AM
I get my boolits hot before I lube <the lube cures to load in a couple of hours>and stand them up. You can remove the exposed lube after loading. <gas-brake cleaner-nail polish remover> I like lube in the grooves better but can't tell accuracy difference.

gwpercle
05-13-2022, 12:47 PM
Target shooting at the range , loading from cartridge box - lube in all of them ... you will usually be shooting more so more is better .

Hunting ...you wont be shooting that many ... if you don't make that first shot count ... the rest will be just urinating in the wind (as my old man would say) So leave out the lube so they wont pick up dirt and grit and keep your pocket / shell holder clean .
Gary