PDA

View Full Version : is the 6.8 sig fury reloadable?

farmbif
05-11-2022, 03:59 PM
well ever I guess since there have military arms it has lead the trend for sporting arms. but is this new 80K psi round even reloadable.
and increased pressure and velocity equals increased barrel wear. what is life expectancy of the sig built m5 rifle barrel?

M-Tecs
05-11-2022, 04:26 PM
Below from another site and I don't know how accurate it is. That being said I did speak to a Sig Rep that did state barrel life would be more than double of conventional barrels on the CROSS Rifles with the 277 Fury chambering. That was about 6 months ago.

" Military set a spec for barrel life of twice the “useful life” of a current M4 barrel. (Which basically means how many rounds sent downrange before the weapon will not shot 4MOA or less.) For an M4, this is ~6,000 rounds. 6.8x51 military barrels use a nitriding process instead of the M4s chrome lining (and some other changes) and have gone ~14,000 rounds before accuracy falls out of required spec. What that means for aftermarket civilian barrels in terms of useful accuracy life is anyone’s guess. That said, SIG has stated that all barrels it produces for this round, including for the Cross rifle, are built to the military standard."

From what I have read that 14K includes FA fire? Some claims are with slow fire that doubles to 28,000 rounds???? Time will tell.

I don't know what the real numbers are but I do know barrel life was a design and contract requirement. Same for the suppressors. The claims are the 4.5 billion dollar contract is firm but it has yearly renewals that can switch to other venders than Sig if they don't make good on the requirements.

Sig is claiming the case will be reloadable but time will tell.

cwtebay
05-11-2022, 04:32 PM
According to Sig, the only portion of the case that is steel is the head with the remainder being brass. I would think that it would be little different than reloading traditional brass cases. I do wonder about case head separation, however.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

xs11jack
05-11-2022, 09:47 PM
Here is the burning question in my mind, what little is left. At 80K will the spec for the cleanliness of the chamber be an issue for extraction? I expect that the cartridge has to be quite clean as a tinywiny bit of carbon or dirt would be a problem. Any way thanks for the post.
Ole Jack

Daekar
05-12-2022, 08:48 AM
I wonder if the cases will be extra reload able? I mean, if they're built for 80 kpsi, what if you loaded them at 65kpsi and just used a longer barrel to make up some of the performance? Would the cases be endurance champs?

deltaenterprizes
05-12-2022, 05:38 PM
The next question is what is the cost of the brass?
I remember a while back a company making two part cartridge cases to allow higher pressures in existing cartridges but I don’t think they were a success in the marketplace.

Finster101
05-12-2022, 05:51 PM
The next question is what is the cost of the brass?

The entire setup looks pretty pricey to me.

M-Tecs
05-12-2022, 06:38 PM
The entire setup looks pretty pricey to me.

The claim is in volume it will be cheaper. Not sure I believe that but time will tell.