PDA

View Full Version : Anyone repaint an RCBS Press? Color Matching

nicholst55
05-11-2022, 09:10 AM
My 1981 model Rock Chucker is showing its age and the hard life that it has lived. I just disassembled, cleaned up, and repainted a Lyman T-Mag yesterday, and I think the RC needs the same treatment. While it isn't absolutely critical to match the paint, I would like to come close, at least. Does anyone have a suggestion on what rattle-can paint to use?

gwpercle
05-11-2022, 12:20 PM
Take the press or a painted part of the press and head for the largest auto parts store(s) in your area... there are about a brazillion different automotive touch up colors that you can compare it to and hopefully find a match .

It's a shame a paint store can't mix the color you want and put it in a spray can for you ... this must not be practical or the paint stores would be doing it .
I'm sure one of the many shades of green migh be a close match ... or just go a nice metallic/metal flake green in a shade you like ... then some flames ... or some pin stripes ...
Ignore that , just the old hot rod motorhead coming out in me ...
Gary

Der Gebirgsjager
05-11-2022, 12:32 PM
Try the paint and hardware stores and examine their color sample cards. Some of the bigger stores let you take some of the cards with you for comparison at home. Or, maybe less practical, take the press's frame with you.

DG

TyGuy
05-11-2022, 01:20 PM

It's a shame a paint store can't mix the color you want and put it in a spray can for you ... this must not be practical or the paint stores would be doing it .
Gary

We have a paint store locally that will do just that. It’s great for precisely matching auto paint codes. A friend of mine is a rally driver and has to do a decent amount of painting different parts to match due to the abuse his car takes.

jaguarxk120
05-11-2022, 01:21 PM
Rustoleum makes a hammer tone green in a can. I have used it on
RCBS bullet sizer presses.

DanishM1Garand
05-11-2022, 01:51 PM

I'm almost certain that is the color and texture RCBS uses.

gwpercle
05-11-2022, 01:52 PM
Try the paint and hardware stores and examine their color sample cards. Some of the bigger stores let you take some of the cards with you for comparison at home. Or, maybe less practical, take the press's frame with you.

DG

The paint stores are great at matching colors , they matched perfectly some age / sun faded colors on my house's exterior siding and trim ... but the paint came in a gallon .
I wouldn't want to buy a gallon for a press frame ... heck one gallon painted all the trim I needed matched on my house and I got plenty left !
It's not RCBS green or I would send it to nicholst55 ... it's a pale sun faded split pea soup green ...
Okay for the wood shutters on my house ...but too yucky for a RCBS Press .
Gary

gwpercle
05-11-2022, 01:54 PM

:goodpost:
This !
I think I read about this being a good match .

Yes this is the one Hammered Spray Metal Finish , the color is Deep Green in that line of Hammered Spray Metal Finish .
Gary

Green Frog
05-11-2022, 01:56 PM
Almost all of the paint is gone from the top surface of a 20# RCBS bottom pour lead pot. Would it be possible to get a high temp paint in a rattle can and repaint it to stop the rust and corrosion? Is hi temp paint available in a green that’s somewhere close to RCBS green?

Froggie

bangerjim
05-11-2022, 06:00 PM
The local auto paint store is your friend! Not Lowes. Not Home Depot, Not Ace Hardware.

As said, take it with you and they will color/laser match it 100%. Won't be cheap!!!!!! I paid $37 for a quart of custom-blend special "tool green" but you cannot see where the old paint ends and the new paint starts. Their color matching for commercial lacquers and acrylics far surpasses the garbage big box stores mix up with latex wall paint!

banger

nicholst55
05-11-2022, 07:21 PM
:goodpost:
This !
I think I read about this being a good match .

Yes this is the one Hammered Spray Metal Finish , the color is Deep Green in that line of Hammered Spray Metal Finish .
Gary

I saw this used on another thread from years back. It looks darker than what they used back in the 80s, but it may have to do. I can't afford to buy $40 worth of paint for a single use.

Dsltech1
05-11-2022, 08:17 PM
If you’re still in the Houston area. The Oreilly’s at 10420 Hempstead Hwy offers custom paint mixing. They should be able to match and mix into a rattle can. It’s been a while since I’ve had this done. But I don’t recall it costing $40 for a can.

dswancutt
05-11-2022, 11:00 PM
Right now, Hammer tone Green is all but unavailable in central Nebraska. Hopefully you can find some.

15meter
05-11-2022, 11:06 PM
This looks like as close as we can get:https://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/hammered-spray

Deep Green 7211830 - 12 oz. Spray

Amazon must have sold it at one time, they have a review but don't list it anymore. Home Depot will order it in by the 6 can case. WallyWorld was $23 but out of stock.

Now to find it in a local hardware store. I've got a Rockchucker that is pretty ugly, it certainly could use a fresh coat of paint.

gwpercle
05-12-2022, 09:35 AM
The Hammered Spray Metal Finish - deep green color may be a little darker but it is a good looking green color with the "hammered" finish ...
... who's going to know ... I'll Never Tell !!!
Gary

nicholst55
05-12-2022, 09:48 AM
If you’re still in the Houston area. The Oreilly’s at 10420 Hempstead Hwy offers custom paint mixing. They should be able to match and mix into a rattle can. It’s been a while since I’ve had this done. But I don’t recall it costing $40 for a can.

That's quite a ways from where I live, in Fulshear. I'll keep it in mind, next time I'm in the area. The Rustoleum product is out of stock everywhere that I've looked, except in a 1-Qt can of brush-on.

GWS
05-12-2022, 12:12 PM
There's another option.
You could buy the quart can, some thinner to thin it to spray consistancy, and buy one of these:

https://www.zoro.com/preval-paint-spryr-system-6oz-0267/i/G3879621/?recommended=true

How thin? Add thinner and mix....then tip the bottle at an angle until the mix is near the top of the bottle.....straighten it and watch the paint fall back. The painted side should be colored but not quite opaque.....but colored none the less. Too thin, color will all fall back. Too thick color will not only stay but be opaque.

That said, personally I wouldn't care that the color is perfect.....even RCBS just uses kelly green on most of their accessories not cast iron.

Another trick is to paint it green, then dry-brush silver so that the silver just tints it in places. I do that by lightly loading a medium artist flat brush....brushing most of it off onto a paper towel, then lightly brushing the green painted textured cast iron, so that it just highlights the raised areas......in fact I'm pretty sure RCBS did that on a lot of the presses, including my pro 2000 progressive.

bangerjim
05-12-2022, 01:49 PM

The price I mentioned was for a QUART CAN of special paint, not a lousy rattle can. I have painted many items out of that quart can and have a lot left, unlike rattle cans that are mostly vehicle and propellant and a little real paint mixed in.

15meter
05-13-2022, 08:29 AM
I sent an email off to Rust-Oleum asking when and if they were going to run a new batch of the aerosol dark green hammer tone paint.

Just waitin' on the answer :popcorn:

gwpercle
05-13-2022, 09:21 AM
I sent an email off to Rust-Oleum asking when and if they were going to run a new batch of the aerosol dark green hammer tone paint.

Just waitin' on the answer :popcorn:

Is there anything in the USA that's "In Stock" ....
How did every supplier become out of stock of every product they sell ...
It's like no one has anything to sell anymore ... not even a can of spray paint !

Green Frog
05-13-2022, 09:33 AM
Could it be that everyone in business is afraid of what will be the target of punitive regulations next... or could they just be afraid they will be taxed into oblivion if they actually make money?

HMMMMMM...

pertnear
05-13-2022, 09:34 AM
Let your creative side go wild. Paint it red, white & blue - seems appropriate & catchy - don't ya think! :2_high5:

Baltimoreed
05-13-2022, 09:47 AM
I have used the hammer finish on the aluminum add ons that I’ve done to my Lyman T2 turret presses. Looks good. But at 23 posts and no pictures I’m disappointed.

hunter49
05-13-2022, 11:14 AM
Maybe reach out to RCBS and see if they might share what color green they use and where to purchase.

nicholst55
05-13-2022, 12:38 PM
Here's a pic of the press involved:

I've definitely seen worse looking pieces of cast iron, but I have too much time on my hands. My creative side? Maybe I can find some purple rattle can paint... ;-)

I would think that the problem with asking RCBS about the specifics of what paint they use is that it has varied in shade over the years. Not that this press will ever look like I just unboxed it, but I'd like to get it close to original. Otherwise, I'd just go to Wallie World or Lowe's and buy whatever color looked good.

And I dunno how the pic got flipped around. It's upright on my computer.

bangerjim
05-13-2022, 01:36 PM
Here's a pic of the press involved:

I've definitely seen worse looking pieces of cast iron, but I have too much time on my hands. My creative side? Maybe I can find some purple rattle can paint... ;-)

I would think that the problem with asking RCBS about the specifics of what paint they use is that it has varied in shade over the years. Not that this press will ever look like I just unboxed it, but I'd like to get it close to original. Otherwise, I'd just go to Wallie World or Lowe's and buy whatever color looked good.

And I dunno how the pic got flipped around. It's upright on my computer.

Don't limit yourself to silly diluted rattle cans!!!!!!!!!!!! I have noticed while strolling down paint isles of all stores the spray paints are almost non-existent. Stick with an auto paint blending store. They have plenty of good quality bulk paints that can be laser matched perfectly to your press.

Spend a little money and forget those stupid rattle cans! This is your hobby, right?

15meter
05-13-2022, 03:59 PM
Is there anything in the USA that's "In Stock" ....
How did every supplier become out of stock of every product they sell ...
It's like no one has anything to sell anymore ... not even a can of spray paint !

The shelves around here are loaded with paint, just no dark green hammer tone.

I was in a hardware store today and they had multiple cans of Rust-Oleum Hammertone in a multitude of colors.

Just not the dark green.

It is now a quest! Find Dark Green Hammertone!

15meter
05-13-2022, 11:00 PM
From Rust-oleum:

Thank you for making contact with Product Support!

Unfortunately, we are out of stock of Deep Green Hammered. This product has not been discontinued, however we just do not have insight on when the next production will be. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we experience some of the most challenging days we've had in the history of Rust-Oleum. We value your business and are working hard to provide the
quality products you expect and deserve.

If you have further questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Thanks for sticking with us!

Marissa G

May be awhile.............

hoodat
05-14-2022, 02:33 AM
Heck, I went for the RCBS Classic Yallar Series. I bead blasted all the old paint and rust off and used equipment enamel paint/primer in one. Baked in the oven for a very durable finish that doesn't chip easily, and could probably be touched up if it did.

If I do another it will be red, and Imma gonna powder coat it. jd

head for the hills
05-14-2022, 06:48 AM
You may have to give it a whiff of starting fluid when you use the press now.

W.R.Buchanan
05-14-2022, 04:49 PM
NIcholist: I have used Rustoleum Hammertone Green paint on several RCBS Presses, and whereas they aren't an exact match for the stock color they look just plain Bitchin' !!! Don't remove the original paint. If it is Crinkle paint, the Hammertone looks even better over the top!

Here's an RCBS A2 press I did for my Son. In the Sun it will knock your eyes out!

Randy

Baltimoreed
05-14-2022, 06:24 PM
Looking good there hoodat and randy.

gwpercle
05-14-2022, 07:46 PM
Let your creative side go wild. Paint it red, white & blue - seems appropriate & catchy - don't ya think! :2_high5:

:goodpost: LIKE !
Gary

gwpercle
05-14-2022, 07:50 PM
NIcholist: I have used Rustoleum Hammertone Green paint on several RCBS Presses, and whereas they aren't an exact match for the stock color they look just plain Bitchin' !!! Don't remove the original paint. If it is Crinkle paint, the Hammertone looks even better over the top!

Here's an RCBS A2 press I did for my Son. In the Sun it will knock your eyes out!

Randy

:goodpost: LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!
"Bitchin X 10 " = Awesome !
Gary

15meter
05-15-2022, 07:52 PM

Randy

Looks way better than my well worn seafoam green from I think 1974.

I'll have to go pull the bushing to remind me how old it actually is.

Land Owner
05-16-2022, 08:04 AM
^^^ Huh? Is there a date on the Rock Chucker bushing? ^^^

I had thought the bicycle or cue ball handle on the ram lever was the "tell".

Green Frog
05-16-2022, 08:27 AM
I’m getting ready to start using my old RCBS 22 lb pot I acquired recently. I’ll use it as-is for now, but can I/should I repaint the “top deck” where almost all of the original paint is gone? If yes, is high temp paint necessary? Will even that last long enough to make it worth the effort?
Froggie

15meter
05-16-2022, 10:11 PM
^^^ Huh? Is there a date on the Rock Chucker bushing? ^^^

I had thought the bicycle or cue ball handle on the ram lever was the "tell".

Stamped on the ground surface under the bushing. Usually a two digit number.

And the ground surface is not always ground, my 1969 A3 appears to be ground and left bare metal.

The 1974 Rockchucker looks machined under the paint.

The 1977 JR3 is machined and left bare metal.

And the paint on the Rockchucker is as ugly as it gets.

David2011
05-16-2022, 10:46 PM
Nicholist, yours has the same paint as mine; sort of a seafoam green wrinkle paint. I’ve thought about repainting it and my Pro-Melt but would prefer to stay with the original green wrinkle finish.

15meter
05-17-2022, 12:44 PM
The shelves around here are loaded with paint, just no dark green hammer tone.

I was in a hardware store today and they had multiple cans of Rust-Oleum Hammertone in a multitude of colors.

Just not the dark green.

It is now a quest! Find Dark Green Hammertone!

Not much of a quest. Checked when I was in two different hardware stores and the Lowe's that's closest to my house. No luck.

Stopped this morning at the hardware store that is 1-1/2 miles from my house for something else and checked their shelf while I was there. 4 cans.

And to look at the color and texture on the can cap, this is a pretty darn close match to current color. Good enough for the kinda girls I go with......

And it is stunningly better than the 1974 vintage seafoam green the the press came adorned with.

farmbif
05-17-2022, 06:21 PM
every time I see a quality refinish done with baked on powder coat I get to thinking this might be a way to try a refinish job. and with places like summit racing that carry different brands and colors make matching colors all that much easier.

seagiant
05-19-2022, 12:11 PM
Hi,
I don't worry too much...

This is my RCBS A2 in Rustoleum from ACE Hardware!

Not period correct but very good paint!

Bare metal is cold blued and waxed!

sniper
05-19-2022, 01:37 PM
heck, i went for the rcbs classic yallar series. I bead blasted all the old paint and rust off and used equipment enamel paint/primer in one. Baked in the oven for a very durable finish that doesn't chip easily, and could probably be touched up if it did.

If i do another it will be red, and imma gonna powder coat it. Jd

this!!!

sniper
05-19-2022, 01:39 PM

Randy

Now. THAT looks SHARP!:bigsmyl2:

shooter bob
05-20-2022, 12:10 PM
Paint it lee red

15meter
05-20-2022, 02:05 PM
Presenting my all spiffed up 1974 Rockchucker, gone is what was left of the ugly seafoam, red aniline dye drips from a different project and 48 years of ground in grease and grime.

It'll do me.

And there's enough left to paint my mailbox that's needed a fresh coat for a while.

What a deal.

Stephen Cohen
05-21-2022, 01:38 AM
Take the press or a painted part of the press and head for the largest auto parts store(s) in your area... there are about a brazillion different automotive touch up colors that you can compare it to and hopefully find a match .

I'm sure one of the many shades of green migh be a close match ... or just go a nice metallic/metal flake green in a shade you like ... then some flames ... or some pin stripes ...
Ignore that , just the old hot rod motorhead coming out in me ...
Gary

I would be surprised if some paint stores did not offer to match and put it in a spray can for you, I have had it done on this side of the pond. Regards Stephen

15meter
05-21-2022, 10:28 AM
I would be surprised if some paint stores did not offer to match and put it in a spray can for you, I have had it done on this side of the pond. Regards Stephen

What I used was a textured paint. I know standard flat/satin/gloss can be custom mixed and put in a spray can.

Wasn't aware that the textured was available as custom.

Anybody know if it is?

David2011
05-22-2022, 08:25 PM
15meter, that looks really sharp. Maybe I’m an outsider but I like the original seafoam green wrinkle just as well as the newer hammertone green. If I refinish mine I’ll leave the original wrinkle paint intact regardless of what goes over it.

rat44
05-23-2022, 01:02 PM
I’m with you David, I like the old seafoam green better! Wouldn’t seem right any other color. Been looking at it on my trusty Jr. since 1972.

15meter
05-23-2022, 11:38 PM
Maybe I'm prejudiced against seafoam green.

Brother-in-law's favorite color.

Bernie Sanders is a loonie right-winger to him.

At the boat club where he used to keep his boat he was referred to as the Club Communist.

David2011
05-28-2022, 02:45 AM
Ugh! References like that would turn anyone off. My sympathies to you! I’ve sailed most of my life; would love to sail an iceboat. I had a Hobie 18 at one point. Fast for a sailboat but nothing like yours on ice.

762 shooter
05-28-2022, 06:31 AM
My 69 Rock Chucker looks like it is 53 years old. Original green crinkle as handed down from Mount Oroville.

I respect your right to repaint.

I will fight anyone that dares to try to repaint mine.

15meter
05-31-2022, 08:39 PM
Ugh! References like that would turn anyone off. My sympathies to you! I’ve sailed most of my life; would love to sail an iceboat. I had a Hobie 18 at one point. Fast for a sailboat but nothing like yours on ice.

I've been sailing iceboats since 1975, hope I've got at least 19 more years of sailing, I want to beat the oldest active sailor in the club, he turned 85 this year. He and his wife were out sailing this past winter.

The following video was several years ago, it's the biggest boat still sailing on Lake Erie, 32' long, 40' spar. The day of the video we maxed out @ 56 MPH clocked with GPS. Mediocre ice and not enough wind. We could have used another 3-4 knots and we would have been screaming. Me on the right with the GoPro on the helmet. Most fun you can have with you clothes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzX1oM1QtfY

We had good enough ice this past winter that a buddy made it sailing 40 days. I got a dozen plus, wish I lived closer, I would have had more. It's a 30 mile drive.