PDA

View Full Version : Paper patching for .223

Wolfdog91
05-09-2022, 12:29 AM
Anyone happen to do it ?

shortlegs
05-09-2022, 10:51 AM
I wish my fingers were still that nimble.

farmerjim
05-09-2022, 11:14 AM
It is done, but as shortlegs commented, It takes nimble fingers. Also fold, don't twist the tail.

Nobade
05-12-2022, 09:22 AM
Other than the 6.5x55 I will not patch any cartridges smaller than 7mm any longer. It's just not worth it. 30 caliber and bigger, they all get PP at some point or another.

yeahbub
05-13-2022, 12:02 PM
I have to believe it would make for a more durable boolit you could push hard, but those things are so small, just cutting the patches would be challenge enough. I had another thought that would accomplish the same end, though. That is to make a slurry of cotton dryer lint you could stroke the boolit through, coating it with a sufficient thickness that when dry, would make a cotton fiber coating. They would still need to be sized to improve the density of the coating and lubed, probably with LLA, BLL or 45-45-10. I was thinking there should be starch to thicken the slurry a bit. Essentially, thuis would be "making paper" using the surface of the boolit as a form.

303Guy
05-13-2022, 07:26 PM
I once tried patching for my hornet. I have lost the results (and forgotten how it worked out). In the end, I was using this rifle for hunting small game and wanted max performance but didn't want to size the cases. So, I used a paper hand towel cup to hold the bullet in the case neck on top of a compressed charge of Lil'Gun. The paper towel was then soaked in a molten 'waxy-lube' that I made. It was the only way to get accuracy with this gun and it was pretty accurate. So one could say that I 'paper patched' jacketed bullets for it.

Bulk buy seconds are too cheap to make the effort of patching worth it other than the fun factor. Or were at the time.

ShooterAZ
05-13-2022, 07:55 PM
Other than the 6.5x55 I will not patch any cartridges smaller than 7mm any longer. It's just not worth it. 30 caliber and bigger, they all get PP at some point or another.

Same here. It's a lot of work when you're dealing with really small boolits, almost as bad as trying to load for the 25ACP. I have my 30 Cal and fat 30 stuff well figured out and have all my patch & templates laid out and ready to go. When everything comes together, it's a wonderful thing.