PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph ????

Shawlerbrook
05-08-2022, 09:25 AM
Thinking about buying one. Will be playing around with load development for a new rifle in 250ai. Looking for something simple to operate and reliable. Do not need or want all the bells and whistles, just something to give me velocities and something with a reasonable price. Any advice would be appreciated. Probably something that will not be used everyday.

trapper9260
05-08-2022, 09:29 AM
I got a ProChrono and like it and shot it once and to replace it I was charge 1/2 the price since they were not able to fix it.

Shawlerbrook
05-08-2022, 09:37 AM
Yes, it seems that is not that unusual and I can see how that can happen.

Dom
05-08-2022, 09:39 AM
I've had this one for a couple of years. Easy to use. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015050210?pid=626107

Shawlerbrook
05-08-2022, 10:08 AM
Yes, that’s the one I have been looking at.

Electrod47
05-08-2022, 01:59 PM
I have had this one for 2 years Its great and is on sale for only 20.00 more at Midway today.

Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX Bluetooth Chronograph
Product #: 988434 Manufacturer #: CEI-3820 UPC #: 787735038200134 ReviewsWrite a Review Q&A (26)
Alternate Image 1
Alternate Image 2
Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX Bluetooth Chronographenlarge arrowmagnifying glass
List Price:
$144.95
Our Price:
$133.99$119.55
You Save:
$14.44 (10%)
Available
Ships tomorrow from MidwayUSA
When will it arrive?
Made in USA
Quantity:

todd9.3x57
05-08-2022, 02:24 PM
I've had this one for a couple of years. Easy to use. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015050210?pid=626107

thats a good'un to use.

i've had it for 3 or 4 years, but i'm like you, Shawlerbrook, i only need it once in a while. when i find the most accurate load, usually i use chrony to find the fps.

nicovanj
05-08-2022, 04:02 PM
Caldwell +1

Shawlerbrook
05-08-2022, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all the responses and keep the discussion going. But I think you all confirmed my choice.

Hossfly
05-08-2022, 05:07 PM
I’ve got 2, the Pro Chrony and the Caldwell that hooks to IPhone or I pad. Both have had multiple pistol caliber wounds. Surprisingly both still work perfectly, and neither wound was fatal. Do not use sky screens any more, just try to shoot over them to get a reading of velocity. Abandoned the phone thing, just too much trouble,to hook up for what I thought would be good idea. Both are pretty tough.

metricmonkeywrench
05-08-2022, 07:40 PM
Have the older Competition Electronics with the add on Blueooth module, I like the interface and associated software in my phone/laptop. Easy to read charts and performance data.

I does everything I need it to do, and would not hesitate to buy another.

45_Colt
05-09-2022, 08:22 AM
One thing to do is to replace the sky screen metal support rods with wood dowels. Much less damage to the main unit when you catch a dowel with a boolit.

Been using a Shooting Chrony (apt name), but alas they went out of business sometime last year.

45_Colt

georgerkahn
05-09-2022, 01:55 PM
Thinking about buying one. Will be playing around with load development for a new rifle in 250ai. Looking for something simple to operate and reliable. Do not need or want all the bells and whistles, just something to give me velocities and something with a reasonable price. Any advice would be appreciated. Probably something that will not be used everyday.

I have several chronies. My "best" all-around is the Oehler 35P -- but (primarily due to a bum leg) -- it seems to be a "pain" to set up for a short/quick range trip. I bought the Labrador which functions well for these. I also have a PACT -- least expensive of the three -- but it features infrared (or similar?) lights so it works both indoors as well as when the sun is down, outdoors. In my latitude it gets dark too early for most of the year to enable evening chrono use with the others.

I'd suggest you go to a local range and/or gun shop and find the preferred unit for your locale.
geo

BadgerShooter
05-09-2022, 02:50 PM
I used a Oehler 35 for years and they work quite well. A couple of years ago, I bought a Labradar and would never go back to setting up screens and cables. It's a game changer.

Shawlerbrook
05-09-2022, 03:40 PM
Tell me more about the Labradar.

FrankJD
05-09-2022, 04:02 PM
I've had more than a few chronographs, the ones with the screens that you shoot through, and I found it really easy to shoot the chronograph! If your barrel will accept it, there's nothing like a magneto speed, a Sporter is 200 bucks and will do it all with precision and ease. Can anyone find a lab radar? Looks like right now they're unobtainium! LOL!!!

Shawlerbrook
05-09-2022, 04:11 PM
Yes and at $600 the Labradar can stay unobtainable for my purpose. I looked at the magneto speed but it seems by the reviews that keeping it from moving on the barrel due to recoil is a problem. Right now I am leaning toward the Caldwell.

FrankJD
05-09-2022, 04:15 PM
Yes and at $600 the Labradar can stay unobtainable for my purpose. I looked at the magneto speed but it seems by the reviews that keeping it from moving on the barrel due to recoil is a problem. Right now I am leaning toward the Caldwell.

I agree on the cost of the labradar, just crazy! I shoot with a bunch of guys and we all have magneto speeds, and never one problem at all with the bayonet moving. It is by far world's better than any screen chronograph. At least for me. So much easier, so much faster to set up and take down, and all the data is kept and can be moved to any computer.

DCB
05-09-2022, 04:36 PM
I have a Chrony Beta. got it in 2001. Made some previsions to the sun screen arms so that when I set it up it was always the same.
At 21 years old it still works as good as the day I bought it, learning curve and all.
I looked at the Caldwell Chornys a while back and If I were to replace the Beta the Caldwell would be the one to go with.

stubshaft
05-09-2022, 05:17 PM
I've been using my Chrony Beta Master for the last 15 years, still works great and you can probably find a used one for cheap.

Shawlerbrook
05-09-2022, 05:37 PM
Can you strap the MagnetoSpeed to a levergun with a magazine tube ?

elmacgyver0
05-09-2022, 05:47 PM
I have the old original F1 Chrony with the old cardboard shoot thru thingys.
The only thing I have used it on is air guns.
I at some point would like something like the LabRadar but if they are made of unobtainium perhaps the Magneto speed would be ok.

FrankJD
05-09-2022, 06:09 PM

Good question. The magneto speed website will probably have your answer.

Nope, not for guns with tubes close to the muzzle, and not for suppressors
Needs about 3" of bbl to install the bayonet, and a bbl diameter between a half inch and one inch.

wesson357
05-09-2022, 08:13 PM
Got one on AliExpress for 30$, it's in meter second but, work well for that price.

elmacgyver0
05-09-2022, 08:22 PM
Good question. The magneto speed website will probably have your answer.

Nope, not for guns with tubes close to the muzzle, and not for suppressors
Needs about 3" of bbl to install the bayonet, and a bbl diameter between a half inch and one inch.

Damn, deal breaker.

FrankJD
05-09-2022, 09:05 PM
Damn, deal breaker.

The $400 V3 version will fit up to two inch bbls, so that might work for a lever gun?

Velosa
05-09-2022, 09:17 PM
+1 on an Oehler. I've had mine for almost 20 years now. Works perfectly.

BadgerShooter
05-11-2022, 10:52 AM
The Labradar sets up right next to your barrel and uses doppler radar to measure the velocity. It keeps measuring the velocity down range as far as it can "see" the bullet. This allows you to back calculate ballistic coefficients from the deceleration of the bullet at the different ranges. It does not require special or optimum lighting to see the bullet shadow and does not use cables, screens or other things that can be shot in front of the muzzle. I compared readings with my Ohler 35 and they correlated very closely. If you want an optical screen type chronograph, the Ohler is pretty much the industry standard for accuracy and reliability.

FrankJD
05-11-2022, 11:11 AM
I like the lab radar. Wish I could buy one! They've been out of stock for how long??

Larry Gibson
05-11-2022, 04:51 PM

Yes, simply mount it to the side of the barrel if the front barrel band permits.

FrankJD
05-11-2022, 05:26 PM
Yes, simply mount it to the side of the barrel if the front barrel band permits.

Great idea!

megasupermagnum
05-11-2022, 09:44 PM
All I ever hear with these fancy chrony's is people raving about them over and over, but when push comes to shove, every time it's "no it won't work for that". Labradar, great for rifle bullets. They do all the work for you there. About useless for anything else. They don't hardly work with arrows, and they won't work at all with any shotgun, no matter the load. Now there's this Magneto speed, and while they are probably do ok with rifles, they aren't great on handguns. They kind of work on shotguns if you are careful, sometimes. They obviously don't work with arrows at all.

Seriously, I don't understand why people push these things so hard. I understand the lab radar from the precision crowd. Just buy a regular old Chronograph. The ProChrono is everything except bulletproof. Rifles, handguns, shotguns, muzzleloaders, arrows, blowgun darts. Everything works over the ProChrono, or most normal skyscreen chronographs. I get maybe 1 day a year where the weather causes issues. They are so good now, clouds or sun are not a huge deal. They just plain work.

But why spend $100 on something that works perfectly for everything, when you could spend $500 on something that saves 15 seconds, and only works on a couple guns?

FrankJD
05-12-2022, 07:49 AM
All I ever hear with these fancy chrony's is people raving about them over and over, but when push comes to shove, every time it's "no it won't work for that". Labradar, great for rifle bullets. They do all the work for you there. About useless for anything else. They don't hardly work with arrows, and they won't work at all with any shotgun, no matter the load. Now there's this Magneto speed, and while they are probably do ok with rifles, they aren't great on handguns. They kind of work on shotguns if you are careful, sometimes. They obviously don't work with arrows at all.

Seriously, I don't understand why people push these things so hard. I understand the lab radar from the precision crowd. Just buy a regular old Chronograph. The ProChrono is everything except bulletproof. Rifles, handguns, shotguns, muzzleloaders, arrows, blowgun darts. Everything works over the ProChrono, or most normal skyscreen chronographs. I get maybe 1 day a year where the weather causes issues. They are so good now, clouds or sun are not a huge deal. They just plain work.

But why spend $100 on something that works perfectly for everything, when you could spend $500 on something that saves 15 seconds, and only works on a couple guns?

All good points. However, for a particular firearm I don't mind having a better chronograph and I don't mind spending money for that privilege, it's that simple. If a labradar was available I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If I needed to chrono arrow speed I'd get a screen chronograph.

I mostly need to chrony centerfire bolt and s/s long guns, so magnetospeed is perfect for that task and me. It's all good!

MTtimberline
05-12-2022, 09:22 AM
There are only two kinds of chronographs, those that have been shot and those that are gonna get shot. I have two that I currently use. A Oehler 35P when I’m wanting more accuracy and a Shooting Chrony Beta Master for quick setup. I have replacement parts for the Beta Master from its predecessor. The Labradar looks interesting.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-12-2022, 09:36 AM
Long ago I started with a Chrony, did shoot it once, still have it, got a MagnetoSpeed, like it, then got a LabRadar. I do go back and forth between the two. If you shoot at a range, consider whether setting a chonograph in front of a row of benches will be a problem. The Labradar and the MagnetoSpeed don't need to be in front of the bench. I have not had a problem with the MagnetoSpeed loosening on a Savage 99 358 or a Marlin 1895 45-70 with 'full' jacketed loads. The MagnetoSpeed is a little tricky to set up on full length magazine but can be made to work.

Shawlerbrook
05-12-2022, 11:43 AM
What is the trick to using the MagnetoSpeed on a lever with a full length mag tube ?

murf205
05-12-2022, 12:34 PM
I have 2 Chrony's and had an old Oehler and have a Magneto speed. All have their applications where they work better than something else. Friends who have Labradar units spend as much time cussing them as shooting. Maybe they dont have it set up right, I dunno. For rifles and long barreled s/s hand guns the Magneto speed works great and I use a wooden hardwood dowel to align the clearance of the bayonet but REMEMBER THIS...use a reminder of some kind to remove the dowel!! I almost shot a brand new CZ527 with the dowel still in the barrel due to distractions. Thank goodness when I got on the gun, I did a little mental practice of asking myself if everything was safe and secure before I took the safety off. I can happen. I use a piece of bright orange weed eater line stuck in the action as a reminder.
If I am going to clock handguns, I use one of the chrony's but it takes a few minutes to set up and the bright sun plays havoc with mine. Cloudy days are good. Glad to hear that the Prochrono is not sensitive to bright sun and so many like them.

BadgerShooter
05-12-2022, 02:56 PM
There is a learning curve for Labradar. If you don't have it in the proper mode, it may not see the bullet. There are velocity range settings. As far as airguns and archery, I understand that there is a separate trigger device to be used. Actually have to read the destructions! I went through a little hair pulling learning how to run it. Once you figure it out, they are super fast to set up and run. I swage low drag long range bullets and use the deceleration readings to confirm BC data etc. That is a feature that optical chronographs can not supply unless you run one at the muzzle and one downrange, then you have to factor in the variation between the two machines. I bought mine soon after they came out. At the time, they were pretty competitively priced with higher end chronographs like Oehlers.

Larry Gibson
05-12-2022, 04:07 PM
What is the trick to using the MagnetoSpeed on a lever with a full length mag tube ?

Here is the MagnetoSpeed on my M94 Carbine. The tube is solid in the front band with minimal space between it and the barrel. Because of the barrel taper I also put 2 thicknesses of primer tray sleeve between the barrel and front of the pad to make the bayonet parallel to the bore.

Here is the MagnetoSpeed on my M92 44-40. The barrel band is in front of the front sight so it's not in the way. Also theyre is enough space fro the strap to fit between the barrel and magazine tube.

I've found using a cleaning rod to make sure the bayonet is properly aligned saves a lot of frustration when the shooting starts. I use a cleaning rod with tape around it in two places about 6-8" apart so the rod along the bayonet gives the correct line of the bore.

murf205
05-12-2022, 04:45 PM
How much does the bayonet affect the point of impact on that lever gun? It gives my 223 CZ 527 a fit. Not terrible but it goes from about a .875 grouper to 2". I don't shoot long strings anymore, 3 shots of the same load will do for my modest research. I just noticed that you have the bayonet strap around just the barrel in one pic and around the magazine tube and barrel in the other. Have you tried it both ways on target.

Larry Gibson
05-12-2022, 05:16 PM
I did not notice any POI change with either but then neither were zeroed for any of the test loads at that time so it's really unknown if there was a shift. The M94 was actually the only rifle I've used it on for any load development as I have 3 Oehler chronographs I use for that. I used the MagnetoSpeed on the M92 to just chronograph some factory cowboy action loads for a guy at the range. Again the M92 was not zeroed for that factory load so I can't say there was a POI shift.

I got the MagnetoSpeed simply because a friend couldn't get it to work and threw it in the trash can at the range. I suggested he send it back to the manufacturer, but he said he was getting an Oehler M35P like mine. I fished it out of the garbage can and tried to get it to work but it wouldn't. I called the manufacturer and they said to send it back which I did. They sent me a new one. Told my friend and he said to keep it if i wanted it. I carry it around in my shooting box just to be able to chronograph, mostly when yahoos claim 2900 fps with 140 gr bullets out of their 6.5 Creeds with 18 - 22" barrels.......

One time a couple years back a fellow knew I was going the do some testing with the Oehler M43 PBL so he asked if he could set up his Lab Radar and see how it compared. I had the 100 yard screens down range so i could also measure the TOF and BC and I brought along my M35P and set the screens for it right in front of the M43's. I also mounted the MagnetoSpeed on the barrel of the 308W test rifle. Out of a 10 shot test string the MagnetoSpeed, The M35P and M43 PBL all screened all 10 shots. The data of each was very close to each other. The Lab Radar missed 4 of the 10 shots. Of the 6 shots it captured the velocities and BCs were in line with the velocities of the other three chronographs. Tried another 10 shot test. After losing 4 out 5 of the first shots and then getting lost in the program trying to correct whatever he gave up, packed it up and left the range. I've no idea whether he still has it.......

murf205
05-12-2022, 05:24 PM
"The Lab Radar missed 4 of the 10 shots. Of the 6 shots it captured the velocities and BCs were in line with the velocities of the other three chronographs. Tried another 10 shot test. After losing 4 out 5 of the first shots and then getting lost in the program trying to correct whatever he gave up, packed it up and left the range. I've no idea whether he still has it......."

Why I was tempted to buy one but didn't. Shooting and testing should be fun, and I am trying to stop swearing at inanimate objects!!

BadgerShooter
05-12-2022, 06:15 PM
One thing that can affect the Labradar is an excessive amount of steel down range. That microwave radar pulse loves to reflect from big steel objects. When I'm set up, I seldom miss a reading - far better than a lot of chronographs I've had especially in bright light. At one time or another, I've owned most of the chrono's mentioned. Pretty happy with my choice.

Larry Gibson
05-12-2022, 09:16 PM
I see my MagnetoSpeed Sporter is out of stock(?) and the newer models have gotten pretty pricey but apparently much improved. I see they also have an "improved" strapping system. That may require a different mounting technique but shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Should mention there also is a "sensitivity" setting with the MagnetoSpeeds, especially to detect cast bullets. Lots of "scrolling" through the computer programing also. Not as much as with the Lab Radar but still I'd rather be shooting than scrolling. That's probably why I find just setting up the M35Ps screens on a tripod, plugging the cables in and then shooting while the console figures everything out and prints it. Only three buttons to push and quite simple. The M43 PBL, while a bit more complicated with a laptop it also is quite simple actually.

As long as there's shooting light I've not had any problems with Oehler Sky Screens missing shots with the M35P or the M43 PBL. In dim light or if the screens are under baffles I simply turn on $2 battery powered lights from Harbor Freight and lay one on each of the orange top defectors. Works perfectly, even indoors with pellet rifles.

Shawlerbrook
05-13-2022, 06:34 AM
Great information all. Thank you. I now know more than ever and might be more confused about what to buy than ever.

FrankJD
05-13-2022, 06:56 AM
Great information all. Thank you. I now know more than ever and might be more confused about what to buy than ever.

Yer choice will be dependent on the weapons you want to track speed and load data. A good screen chrono would probably do it all, but all the current crop of chronographs have their limitations. If it's just centerfire firearms with long bbls that will accept a Magnetospeed Sporter, I think that chrono is a better choice than a screen chronograph. If you need to work with a variety of weapons then go for a screen chrono .... or buy both chrono types if the bucks are available.

murf205
05-13-2022, 07:41 AM
We have come a long way since the old circuit board screens that you actually shot through. I had an Oehler model 11, I believe the # is right, that you had to turn the dial to get the numbers and then look in a little book furnished with the unit to get the velocity. It was 1977 and I was in hog heaven with that clock!

Larry Gibson
05-13-2022, 09:41 AM
Still got my Oehler M11 with the new M61 "Sky Screens". It still works perfectly.

BadgerShooter
05-13-2022, 10:22 AM

Our work here is done!!

DCB
05-13-2022, 10:22 AM
This is not a bad deal. New and under warrenty, and available all the goodies you will need.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015050545?pid=628006
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016429780?pid=896627
I look at what I want and see if there is a better newer version or an upgrade.

Rich/WIS
05-13-2022, 01:40 PM
Several years ago I got a used Chrony, think the F1 model, quite cheaply ($60) that uses the sky screens. Have used it once to verify velocity on some hunting loads, and has been sitting in a storage cabinet ever since. With that one exception all my cast shooting is based on accuracy, don't care how fast it is going.

alamogunr
05-13-2022, 03:04 PM
I've got a CED Millennium 2 chronograph. I don't use it often enough to remember all the features. I should remember to take it to the range every time so I can stay acquainted with it.

One big problem is the supports for the "sun shades" are plastic and not replaceable with dowels or some other support. I've shot mine a couple of times when working with pistols. They are repairable if the damage is not too severe.

I would like to have a Oehler(Not the latest model, too expensive and complicated). For my use I can't justify replacing what I already have. The latest Oehler is written up in Handloader. I read the whole article and most of its' capabilities are beyond my abilities.

Shawlerbrook
05-13-2022, 03:27 PM
I will be using a chronograph for load development for mostly leverguns but also bolt action centerfire rifles. I may use it a couple times a year to get a load and then it might sit for a year or too. I am strictly developing hunting loads .

FrankJD
05-13-2022, 04:24 PM
I will be using a chronograph for load development for mostly leverguns but also bolt action centerfire rifles. I may use it a couple times a year to get a load and then it might sit for a year or too. I am strictly developing hunting loads .

If a magneto speed Sporter will fit your lever guns, I think you will find that's the best chronograph for you.

murf205
05-13-2022, 06:33 PM
I shoot at a public range and the Magneto speed lets me set it up without having to call a cease fire to go in front of the firing line numerous times to align the screens. I probably would have plenty of time because most of the casual shooters don't have a spotter and want to run down range every few shots, but, I used to be one of those guys when I was a young shooter. But the magneto speed has endeared it's self to me for rifles for the accuracy and lack of missed readings. Larry Gibson's photos of the lever gun setup so good luck with whatever you choose.

FrankJD
05-14-2022, 07:03 AM
The two electronic devices that have made shooting easier and better for me at ranges are the Magnetospeed and the Eagle Target Camera.

georgerkahn
05-14-2022, 02:06 PM
Still got my Oehler M11 with the new M61 "Sky Screens". It still works perfectly.

I had, and gave away about 40 years back an Oehler -- do not recall the model number -- which used vacuum tubes with little lit dots at each tube's top. The fellows at range called them "Nixie Tubes." One shot through two spaced pieces of paper which had a conductive path printed (or stuck ;)) to it. The bullet broke the circuit in the first paper shot through, followed by similar in the second. Then, you had to look at the remaining lit dots at Nixie Tube tops -- write them down as unit sucked a lot of electricity -- and then check the accompanying chart to read the measured bullet velocity.
Working as an electronics tech at the time I was kind of a range hero at the time -- those printed circuit shoot thru sheets were rather costly, and I spent quite a few lunch hours soldering/bridging shot voids to give the shot-through sheets a 2nd, 3rd, ???? life.
I bought an aftermarket "sighter" for my LabRadar so basically when I get to range I simply open/fold down the Kodak Carousel Projector case I keep it in, plug in the external battery, take a very few seconds to look down sighter and align LabRadar. Turn on power; press "arm" button a couple of times -- and shoot away.
Soooo rare it is if a shot is missed. I have their App on my cellular 'phone as well as iPad -- truly a pleasure to use! And -- I shudder to recall the 1970's Nixie-tube chrony!
Re set-up comments -- hey -- I take perhaps no more than five total minutes to 1st make sure battery is fully charged; I keep "armed" time at 240 seconds / 4 minutes; and type in the weight of bullet and other germane data still at home.
My one and only complaint is perhaps having toooo much data when I get home -- but, that may be a bit due to my definitely not being the brightest lamp in the fixture using Excel.
YES -- I still have and use my Oehler 35P -- mainly for full-afternoon/most of day range sessions. BUT -- for a quick, most reliable "go to" -- the Labradar is my choice.
As a "P.S." I had bought the LabRadar microphone for airgun use and never felt warm and fuzzy (technical term) using it. Instead, I came across a unit made in Czech Republic and purveyed by Airguns of Arizona -- the AirChrony Mk1 -- and this unit superbly functions with the springer, nitro, and PCP airguns I have.
geo

todd9.3x57
05-14-2022, 03:15 PM

yep, thank ya!!!!!!:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015050545?pid=628006

this is what i bought but without the wires coming from the sunscreen. i think it was somewhere around $100-120. its good enuff for what i do.

murf205
05-14-2022, 03:49 PM
We have come a long way indeed300196

todd9.3x57
05-17-2022, 06:27 PM
We have come a long way indeed300196

and 8 track tapes!!!!!!

popper
05-17-2022, 07:55 PM
MagnetoSpeed to a levergun works fine. Chrony is out of business now.

uscra112
05-18-2022, 05:00 PM
I suppose when I use up my two Chronys I'll have to go looking myself. 2-3 years ago I bought the hype about the LabRadar, but I never got it to work at all. I was an engineer before retiring, and yes, I read the instructions. It never saw even ONE of the bullets I fired downrange. I'd put it up for sale, but I have my scruples.

bubbadoyle
05-18-2022, 06:09 PM
I’ve got the more expensive Magnetospeed and an older pact chronograph. Just got the Magnetospeed this past winter. I’ve had the pact for at least 15 years. I’ve probably used the Magnetospeed more than the pact just due to the simple setup. I’ll still keep the pact for archery use. I was really interested in a Lab radar until I saw it’s limitations in velocities and bullet sizes. I have several .17 calibers and a few guns that break 4000 fps. These are both limitations to the lab radar from what I’ve read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

onelight
05-26-2022, 01:49 PM
The niche for Lab-Radar in my experience is at public ranges that do not allow anything in front of the shooting station and the ability to work with a variety of hand guns or rifles .
I would not have spent the money on one if I still had a private range to shoot at.

FrankJD
05-26-2022, 02:18 PM
I was happy to ditch the screen chronos and thoroughly enjoyed the MS Sporter enuf to sell it and upgrade to the MS V3. For most rifles any MagnetoSpeed version is hard to beat on many levels.

PrestoColumbus
06-02-2022, 11:17 PM
I >>loved<< my ProChrono.

Easy to use, but remember this wise advice

FrankJD
06-03-2022, 05:34 AM
I loved my Pro Chronys, had 3 of 'em, they all got ventilated eventually ... I LOVE my MagnetoSpeed, it don't hardly ever get in the line of fire. ;)

https://i.imgur.com/tQNVDvW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sdsaYSq.jpg

Shawlerbrook
06-14-2022, 03:21 PM
Just to let everyone know I ended up ordering the Magnetospeed today. The picture above was one of the main reasons plus my range has very little level ground. Thank everyone for all the comments and opinions. They were very helpful. With some gift cards I had and free shipping it cost me less than $150 on Amazon.

FrankJD
06-14-2022, 05:11 PM
Awesome price! You'll love yer MS!

GONRA
06-21-2022, 09:57 PM
GONRA has several Chronos, new condition.
Grandsons will figger it all out....
Just never got around to fool around with 'em!

slim1836
06-23-2022, 02:39 AM
GONRA has several Chronos, new condition.
Grandsons will figger it all out....
Just never got around to fool around with 'em!

I've got two and never used either one. Never liked the idea that I might hit one. Did not like setting them up on a tripod either.

Maybe I need to sell them and put it toward a Lab Radar fund.

Slim

Shawlerbrook
06-23-2022, 06:44 AM
Look at the Magnetospeed. I went that way for the exact reasons you pointed out.

pworley1
06-23-2022, 07:18 AM
I have had several over the years and for my needs the basic Caldwell is all I need.

waco
06-26-2022, 01:27 PM

If installed properly they will not move. I use mine with full power jacketed .338 Lapua Magnum loads. Very nice Chrony.

charlie b
07-13-2022, 09:32 PM
Had three previous chronographs, including one I built myself back in the 80's.

Now days I usually shoot early morning with sun at my side. "Window" type chronographs just don't like it. At one point I got frustrated enough to build a box to set the screen unit in. Then the issue of re-aiming it when I change target berms.

I love my Labradar. It isn't perfect for me but it is close. Has been 99.9% reliable for me...as long as I remember to aim it and arm it :) I can set it up and operate it while seated at the bench or standing on the firing line.