PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with Lee Universal Casefeeder

LittleLebowski
05-07-2022, 02:18 PM
I’ve had this working with my Lee App since the App came out. I was adjusting this to make it work with .300BO and I think that I lose a piece to it, but I can’t find it and when I asked Lee for a parts list and/or a schematic to figure out what’s missing, they didn’t have one (that’s pretty shocking on Lee’s part if you ask me).

The problem is that the top half of the casefeeder has a pronounced lean and wobble and I cannot figure out how to fix that. It’s loose and now the loaded casefeeder tubes make it lean so bad that’s it’s inoperable.

Here is a picture showing what I’m dealing with.

Finster101
05-07-2022, 05:20 PM
Are you sure there just isn't a screw on the bottom you can tighten?

Finster101
05-08-2022, 09:01 AM
Just looked at one I have. There is a phillips head screw in the center of the top piece where the four tubes go. They sometimes come loose from rotating it backwards.

LittleLebowski
05-08-2022, 09:50 AM
Just looked at one I have. There is a phillips head screw in the center of the top piece where the four tubes go. They sometimes come loose from rotating it backwards.

Yes and cranking that down didn’t help. I ended up adding washers to that screw and the problem got better, but still not what it should be.

LittleLebowski
05-08-2022, 09:51 AM
Are you sure there just isn't a screw on the bottom you can tighten?

The screw is on top, tightening it didn’t help until I added washers.

Finster101
05-10-2022, 09:58 AM
This made me curious so I took mine apart. I would suggest that somehow you have lost the spring that holds tension against the screw.

slim1836
05-10-2022, 07:35 PM
Super Glue. :redneck:

Slim

LittleLebowski
05-10-2022, 08:01 PM
This made me curious so I took mine apart. I would suggest that somehow you have lost the spring that holds tension against the screw.

Nailed it! I’m telling Lee tech support that you know more than them, literally. Thank you very much.

Black Jaque Janaviac
05-11-2022, 11:27 AM

This looks quite a bit more substantial than my Lee case feeder base. Is yours newer or older? Yours looks like the same plastic that is used for their powder measure plates. Mine is a real thin, softer plastic. I'm just curious if Lee made an improvement? Or made it cheaper?

Finster101
05-12-2022, 05:48 PM
The one in my photo has to be at least 6 or seven years old but was still new in the packing tube. Infact, I had to remove the staples to get it open.

JeffinTD
10-26-2022, 11:44 PM
Along those lines, if you 3D print, a guy on Thingiverse made a case feeder assembly that has snap in “nozzles” I guess you’d call them, for specific calibers. They are different heights and eliminate the need to mess with the height- jamb nuts when switching calibers.

GWS
11-03-2022, 03:07 PM
Along those lines, if you 3D print, a guy on Thingiverse made a case feeder assembly that has snap in “nozzles” I guess you’d call them, for specific calibers. They are different heights and eliminate the need to mess with the height- jamb nuts when switching calibers.

I went and looked.....and maybe I'm blind.....could you go back and post a link? It does sound interesting.....

JeffinTD
11-03-2022, 03:15 PM
Sure. Basically there is a base piece, a 4 tube holder, and the snap in pieces.

Where the directions say M3 screw I think was a misprint. I used an m2.5-20 screw, washer (between the parts) and nylock nut for the center, and 4 M4 ball plunger set screws (enlarge and tap the holes on the tube holder).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5380589

GWS
11-03-2022, 03:35 PM
Neat! I see.......basically similar to TylerR's quickchange except for 4 tubes instead of 1 tube from a electric collator.

JeffinTD
11-03-2022, 03:40 PM
Hadn’t seen one without the 4 tubes or I’d have done that, as I run the APP with a Dillon feeder and auto drive with an air cylinder.

GWS
11-03-2022, 05:02 PM
Hadn’t seen one without the 4 tubes or I’d have done that, as I run the APP with a Dillon feeder and auto drive with an air cylinder.

Yes, we spent some time on that thread making the caliber inserts better, more feed trouble-free. Example below:

https://i.postimg.cc/rm0FwwdW/IMG-3924.jpg

We discovered that the longer the case was held vertical after dropping, IOW's not an open cut, allowing cases to tip sideways, the more stable the push down the shuttle was. His design could improve that way too. Not hard to do. Using the same idea, below was how the longer case cutouts evolved, original on the right, evolving to the shaped one on the left:

https://i.postimg.cc/CxcB2xFG/IMG-4068.jpg

Ignore the black shuttle on the bottom....that's a Summit modded to use APP ideas and parts. (a personal quest);)

JeffinTD
11-03-2022, 05:50 PM
Cool. I hadn't seen that.

And that Summit press is super cool.

I can't seem to get photos to upload, or I'd show what the setup from Thingiverse looks like in the real world. You can kinda see it in this video.

https://youtu.be/G9TmulkR8ag

GWS
11-03-2022, 07:35 PM
Wow! Motor drive on an APP! Would not have guessed anyone would try that on a light press. Works, I can see. ;) Maybe you ought to buy a couple more APP's for backup parts....Maybe I ought to try that on the Summit....:smile:

As for posting pictures on this forum....it's easier than they advertise. Use brackets, [] surrounding "img" (minus the quotes). Then add the picture by using a link from a picture storage outfit, then close it with [] again but using "/img" inside.

I use this outfit to store my pictures and use the "direct" link they provide: https://postimg.cc

My Summit mod is on TylerR's thread ending with the howto video here: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?354324-Making-that-Bullet-Collator&p=5442483&viewfull=1#post5442483

JeffinTD
11-03-2022, 08:57 PM
That Summet setup would be awesome with an auto drive.

With the APP I think the key was making the linkage adjustable and setting it up so the cylinder hits its stops with a little play left in the linkage (both directions) so the APP isn’t hammered against it’s mechanical limits.

I saw the option to link to a server for photos, but tried the upload from my computer option and it failed. I did resize the photos.

GWS
11-04-2022, 12:38 AM
What brand/model Autodrive is that? Looks pretty simple....but bet pretty expensive too. ;)

JeffinTD
11-04-2022, 03:17 AM
Mine you mean? It’s just something I cobbled together. Cheap 40-250 cylinder (though I think a 32x250 with cushioning would be better). Autonics ATS11W-13 dual timer relay, 5 way 2 position solenoid valve, flow control exhausts, socket for the relay, filter/regulator, 12v power supply and miscellaneous hoses and hardware.

I may do it over again, using proximity switches for control (so it would stop if it jams, instead of continuing to cycle)

GWS
11-04-2022, 10:06 AM
:) Swoosh.....over my head. Sounds like a job for a mechanical engineer/electrical engineer. Me? My engineering is limited to designing and building commercial buildings and high end homes. I could only do such a thing with a list of parts and a set of instructions.....sure as heck not straight out of my head.....nothing there much.;) Yours sure looks impressive....works from what I can see. Jmorris comes to mind!