PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

rkrcpa
05-06-2022, 06:56 PM
and need a little advice. I mounted my new to me LAM II for the first time and sized and lubed enough bullets to run most of the old lube out of the reservoir. I learned a bit about adjusting the pressure on the lube handle and how to adjust the depth of bullet travel so all in all a good first day.

Now the question, which lube to use. I am currently and for the foreseeable future (we all know how that works out) will only be sizing Keith SWC bullets. I would anticipate velocities up to around 1200fps but mostly 1000fps. What I have on hand is RCBS lube, SPG and Lyman Alox. Is there a reason to choose one of these over the other two?

Any help is appreciated.

MarkP
05-06-2022, 07:09 PM
Check out Glenn's site he has good explanation of each lube.

https://www.lsstuff.com/

I use BAC and Carnauba Red I would probably recommend BAC or 2500+ as it should flow for you without any add'l heat. I am using CR & BAC in a Star sizer I need just a little heat for Carnauba Red not a lot just a little get it to flow properly.

Also dip lube with BAC

Green Frog
05-07-2022, 05:15 PM
Fortunately, if you do need a little heat, RCBS makes a nice LAM heater unit that even has a rheostat built in. Nothing to add. Actually, their heater has holes drilled for several different sizers (including my Star) so it’s quite versatile and reasonably priced. All these guys talking about buying a piece of plate and using an iron from Goodwill are just trying to achieve the same thing and probably waste more time than the money they save.

Froggie

rmark
05-08-2022, 08:09 PM
I think any of the lubes you have on hand will be fine. Do look at the White Label lubes when it’s time to replenish your supply.

swamp
05-08-2022, 09:24 PM
I have gone to Carnauba Red for my luber. Other than that it is tumble lubing.

swamp

Rapidrob
05-08-2022, 11:04 PM
I've been using Red Rooster ( or a clone ) for decades. It has never let me down.

Jim22
05-10-2022, 01:56 PM
I have gone to Carnauba Red for my luber. Other than that it is tumble lubing.

swamp

I, too, am using Carnauba Red exclusively. That is when not tumble lubing or powder coating. I use an old Lyman heat plate to warm the lube sizer. It was making things too warm so I put a dimmer switch between the heat plate and the power source. Once set it works fine. I have other lubes but it is really too much trouble to clean out the lube sizer so I can use a different lube. That makes me understand why some guys have more than one lube sizer.

Jim

rcslotcar
05-10-2022, 03:15 PM
I also use "White Label" lubes, they work great for me. Invest in a heater for easy fast work. Also they have a great sprue plate lube. Ah I need to order more soon.

rkrcpa
05-10-2022, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have the RCBS heater plate and LAM II mounted to my Inline Fabrications stand. I am truly happy with the addition of the interchangeable plates, makes life so much easier.

Since I have nine sticks of lube on hand it will probably be a while before I need more but will look into the White Label Lubes. I don't mind keeping a reasonable inventory of supplies on hand. :)

gwpercle
05-11-2022, 09:29 AM
Soft lubes work better in my experience . I've recovered plenty handgun boolits with the lube groove still filled with hard red lube (from pistol range ) it does no good in groove ... it needs to be in gun barrel . Hard Lubes may work better in rifle barrels ... but my "gut" tells me soft lubes work better .
Gary

If you ever wish to mix your own lube : this recipe is a good one
1 part Lithium Grease (like Lucas Red-N-Tacky) + 3 parts Beeswax =
Lithi-Bee Lube !

Rapier
05-12-2022, 02:00 PM
+1 for Rooster Red. I have used it for many years.

super6
05-12-2022, 03:25 PM
Is what Magma sells carnauba red?