PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold sprue plate screw keeps loosening

Rp-
05-05-2022, 09:03 PM
That pretty much sums it up. It's a 40 cal dual cavity mold and after every 3-5 drops it comes loose. The sprue plate is a little rusty but not horrible. It still casts just fine, it's just an inconvenience.

Should I out some lock tite on it or something? Order a new screw?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Walks
05-05-2022, 09:54 PM
Drill & tap for a set screw.
Or for a guick fix while casting; a bit of 0000 steel in the threads until you can get to the above fix.

Winger Ed.
05-05-2022, 10:04 PM
Other mold companies use a set screw to prevent that.
I'm not sure what they use, but a 8-32 should work well.

I think lock-tite would burn off.

45DUDE
05-05-2022, 10:13 PM
Take the screw out and drill from the side -a self tap screw will hold the original screw. or tap it.

centershot
05-06-2022, 08:53 AM
Here's the fix:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/LeementingKitDocumentation.pdf

Froogal
05-06-2022, 09:31 AM
I have several Lee molds. Just one had those same issues. Fixed it with the set screw trick.

Bazoo
05-06-2022, 11:33 AM
I’ve found if I cut the sprue when it’s still very soft, so I don’t have to whack the cutter, but rather push the cutter or the mildest of whacks, it dont loosen the screw as much.

The set screw is the ultimate fix however.

gwpercle
05-06-2022, 12:32 PM
That pretty much sums it up. It's a 40 cal dual cavity mold and after every 3-5 drops it comes loose. The sprue plate is a little rusty but not horrible. It still casts just fine, it's just an inconvenience.

Should I out some lock tite on it or something? Order a new screw?

I had the exact same problem , I don't have any drills or taps or a set screws to do that fix ...or drill and tap for a larger screw ... but I read a thread that said to :
1.) Remove the sprue plate and bolt & washer .
2.) Pull 2 strands of #0000 steel wool from a pad of unused(new) steel wool .
3.) Equally space the strands across the hole in an X pattern and carefully push the strands straight down into the hole with a chop stick (or anything that fits into the hole ) .
4.) Start the bolt back into the hole while holding the steel wool X in place ...snip off the excess steel wool legs close to bolt .
5.) Remove bolt ... install washer and sprue plate and carefully thread bolt back into hole .
The steel wool strands should stop the loosening ... If it doesnt , leave the X inplace and wrap 1 or 2 steel wool strands around the bolt threads and re-install the bolt .

This should keep the bolt tight . I did it but thought "Too danged easy to work" ...it's held tight for seven years now ... I wanted to clean the underside of the plate once and the bolt didn't want to unscrew ... when something is good-n-tight ... I've learned to just leave it alone .
I thought this idea was crazy ... but if you have a pad of steel wool around ...you ain't got nothing to loose :drinks:
Gary

Rp-
05-06-2022, 12:39 PM
I don't know why I didn't think of a set screw. I'm sure I have some taps and corresponding screws laying around. I'll try that. I never thought about modifying the mould itself.

Thanks guys.

MT Gianni
05-06-2022, 03:12 PM
Lee's newer style 2 cavity molds with pins instead of grooves have a left hand sprue plate screw thread.

Rp-
05-06-2022, 03:36 PM
Lee's newer style 2 cavity molds with pins instead of grooves have a left hand sprue plate screw thread.Yes, it's a lefty screw. Only about a year old.

gwpercle
05-13-2022, 04:53 PM
Yes, it's a lefty screw. Only about a year old.

What ever you do ... don't shove any strands of #0000 stell wool down into the screw hole ...
I did that and now I can't get the danged screw loose ... it doesn't want to break free and I don't want to put too much pressure on it .
My old high school shop teacher used to say... if it doesn't want to break free ... don't force it !
Gary