PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware!...Lock, Stock & Barrel

Just Call Me...G
01-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Hello All,

Just wanted to post some info and advise the forum of a HORRIBLE buying experience with Lock, Stock, & Barrel (lockstock.com) out of Valentine NE.

Earlier this month I inherited 4,000 once-fired 9mm cases and as I shoot 9mil I thought that I should buy a mold and start casting for this caliber as well. I went to my two primary sources on the web (Midway & MidSouth Shooters). They were all out of Lyman & Lee 9mm moulds, so I did a web search and found L S & B. Even better, their website indicated that they actually had the Lee 356-120-TC "in stock".

I registered, made my purchase (03Jan2009) and went on about my life.
It is now 20 days later and for the last week I have been e-mailing L S & B as to the whereabouts of the mould they claimed was "in stock".

I have received nothing but a HUGE runaround from these ya-hoos and just finished speaking with someone named Harvey there. I have cancelled my order and intend NEVER to do business again with these morons.

Harvey told me that my funds will be charged back "no later than Monday"...he thinks. WOW, they charged my card pretty quick, I wonder how long it will take for them to refund me?

It is really sad to see a company doing this, especially in this economy you would think that retailers would cherish their customers (especially 1st time buyers).

I should have stuck to my guns and waited until Midway or MidSouth had them in stock. I have spent literally tens-of-thousands of dollars with both of these fine companies and they have ALWAYS done right by me.

Lock, Stock & Barrel...SHAME ON YOU!

Onward & Upward,

Giovanni

Ricochet
01-23-2009, 07:29 PM
I've bought stuff from them before and had good experiences.

IcerUSA
01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Natchez shows a few 9mm Lee moulds in stock if you need something now .

Keith

Ricochet
01-23-2009, 07:40 PM
When I was in a hurry for that particular mould and found it in short supply last year, I bought it and a four die Lee set at tenring.com.

Ugly Dwarf
01-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I haven't ordered from LS&B lately, but used to buy from them many years ago with good experiences. They've been out of stock on everything I was looking for the last few times I went there, so they've dropped off my radar.

Seems like there was a thread here last week about a siimilar experience with them and I'm sorry to hear it. IIRC they stated they were having problems keeping up with the increased volume most gun related stores have encountered since Nov. 4.

In addition to Midsouth and Midway, you can check out Natchez. I checked and they have the 2 cavity mold you're looking for in stock (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LEE90239&prodTitle=Lee%20Bullet%20Molds%3A%209mm%20Luger%2C %2038%20Super%20Auto%2C%20%26%20380%20Auto), out of stock on the 6 cav (http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&ammoGroup=0&brand=&prodID=LEE90387&prodTitle=LEE%20MOLD%206%20CAV%20356%2D120%2DTC). I've been pleased with Natchez and they are one of my "go to" sources.

Hip's Ax
01-23-2009, 07:58 PM
I use to deal with LS&B quite often, less these days as it seems they have cut back on stock and their prices are higher than most. Never had a problem though. Actually I liked ordering from them because they always shipped immedately.

skeet1
01-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Just Call Me...G,
I have purchased from them in the past and have always been satisfied. I currently have an order in to them for a Lee Classic Turret and accessories that they said they had but it turned out to be back ordered. This was only an error on the computer and I know the order will be filled as soon as possible. When looking at most of the suppliers of shooting related products you can see that since the election of our pres. everyone is back ordered on many things. If you want to blame someone blame him.

Skeet1

Geraldo
01-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I haven't bought anything from them for years, but I never had problems at the time.

Two things about internet credit cards and net businesses: even though your card is credited immediately, it always takes a few days to show up on your balance. Second, what is shown online as being available isn't always available. Some companies have very good software, others have software that will show something as available and it just backorders it. This is not specific to reloading, as I've had it happen with other types of companies as well.

LS&B gave your money back, and they'd have sent the mold if they had it to send, so it's not as though you were ripped off. Have you checked with Lee directly?

hedgehorn
01-23-2009, 09:59 PM
I have bought from them a couple of times in the past 6 months. I had one order that had an item that was back ordered that said it was in stock on their website. I got a call from them the next day asking if I wanted to ship the rest of the order. I got the rest of in in 3 days. I haven't had a bad experience with them.

Firebricker
01-24-2009, 01:34 AM
t call me...G, I have a lee 2 cav 120gr tc casts good but needs help on alighnment pins. I shelved it when i got rcbs if you want the lee send a pm you pay shipping and you can have it.

GSM
01-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Dealt with LS&B for many years - never a bad experience.

As others have said, the current political climate has everyone scrambling. Try to buy powder, primers or bullets.

Or, it might be that the microwave generation (I want this and I wanted it shipped yesterday) has overtaken even the more reasonable among us.

Think about it.

jdgabbard
01-24-2009, 03:46 AM
I try not to order things online. If I have to I usually stick with the more main stream companies. I'm big on supporting the middle man, like the local reloading supply store. They're always helpful. And if they don't have it, they'll get it for me. And at a reasonable price. Help the little man out. That's my moto.

Shiloh
01-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Dealt with LS&B for many years - never a bad experience.

As others have said, the current political climate has everyone scrambling. Try to buy powder, primers or bullets.

Or, it might be that the microwave generation (I want this and I wanted it shipped yesterday) has overtaken even the more reasonable among us.

Think about it.

This statement is accurate and true. Panic buying is driving this. Prices are up as well.

Fortunately, I anticipated this situation and acquired what I needed beforehand.. I peruse the various gun supply websites. Out of Stock No Back order, is the current phrase. I spoke with Midway about this. The woman said they don't know when supplies will be in. The suppliers are not even giving delivery date.

Look at Rock River Arms and other AR-15 suppliers. They can't keep up with demand and are not giving even estimated delivery dates. Period.

All of the popular ammo is out of stock. .223, 9mm, .40 S&W, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R
Bulk reloading components as well. .223 FMJ are hard to come by, but are available. Most 9mm is not. As far as discount pricing on bulk supplies? Not at this time. We're just going to have to ride it out.

Shiloh

bowenrd
01-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Lyman 2-Cavity Bullet Mold #356402 9mm (356 Diameter) 120 Grain Truncated ConeProduct #: 249038
Currently
available at this price
Our Price:
$58.99

From MidayUSA site

mold maker
01-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Boy isn't it refreshing to hear that some one besides GEORGE W. BUSH is responsible for a current problem?????

Just Call Me...G
01-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Howdy Again Gents,

Thanks for all of the input and support, fellas.

After I posted the thread I went to MidSouth and they were again in stock on the items I needed and got it all squared away. I made my purchase, received a confirmation e-mail, shortly thereafter received another e-mail telling me that my order had shipped and a UPS tracking # was provided.

I will definitely check Natchez Shooters Supplies as I have heard many good things about them as well.

Firebricker...thanks for the offer. I made my purchase already otherwise I would have taken you up on it.

Yes, I too agree that there seems to be a "panic buy" movement right now. I really don't participate in all that nonsense as I have been loading for a long time and always keep my supplies up. So far, in Northern Nevada anyway, we have not had any problems getting components.

I wish that locally there were stores that stock casting equipment, but unfortunately we have none here. I would ALWAYS prefer to support my local gun shops and outlets.

My Lee mould will be here later this upcoming week and I will immediately "Beagle" it and get to casting 9mm. :-)

HUZZAH! to MidSouth Shooters Supply

Keep Your Powder Dry Gents

G

Willbird
01-24-2009, 04:39 PM
I have bought from LS&B for many years and always been happy with them. many Internet suppliers are running 2-3 weeks behind shipping orders so what their system shows "in stock" may not truly be in stock when they finally fill your order.

Bill

HangFireW8
01-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Giovanni,

Have you checked out Widener's front page? In December they were 3 weeks behind, the front page still says "We are not accepting any inbound phone calls at this time." You want order status, you send an e-mail, and you wait. They are now 11 days behind in processing orders- a big improvement!

Don't blame LSB or Widener's. It's panic-buying gunnies causing this problem. Frankly, unless you are 18 years old and just getting started, there's no excuse for trying to buy everything you need for the next 8 years in one month.

-HF

Just Call Me...G
01-25-2009, 02:13 PM
My biggest problem with L S & B was the fact that they outright LIED to me.
I asked them, politely, what was going on with my order.

The last e-mail I received from them was that they were waiting for "Customs" paperwork before they could ship my mould out. Ummm...let me see, Lee is located in Wisconsin, the mould is made in the good ole U.S of A and L S & B is located in Nebraska....where did "Customs" come in to play?

I am a very patient person, if someone at L S & B's customer service department could have been honest this whole mess could have been avoided.

Just a little background on me...I have been a shooter/hunter for ~35 years, have been reloading for ~10 years and also I have worked in the firearms industry for the last 10 years.
The one thing that I definitely know is not to BS my fellow brethren in our culture.

I realize that there is A LOT of panic buying going on, I assure you I am not one of those.
I maintain a pretty solid philosophy on preparedness and have pretty much everything I will require to ride out (or mobilize) in the event of "bad things happening".

I just wanted a Lee 9mm mould and wanted to get some decent service.
I was also looking for a backup to MidWay & MidSouth...Looks like I won't be looking for one, I have been extremely happy with their service and will continue patronage of those fine companies.

I really appreciate all the input, this is such a great forum and a lot of great people here.
I have lurked around here for about the past year and finally decided to join. I am not a "keyboard commando" and not one to join forums...but I sure am glad I joined this one. :-)

Take Care Gentlemen...and if you are ever in Northern Nevada, give me a head's up and maybe we can get together and get some lead downrange.

G