PDA

View Full Version : Is shotgun shot unobtainium right now?

downzero
05-03-2022, 11:23 AM
I was thinking of getting into shotgun reloading and shot appears to be unobtainable right now. Usually shotgun primers are the last to sell out and I've never actually seen the stores/internet completely out of shot, so I'm kinda surprised. How long has this been going on? Does anyone have a source for some shot? I know I won't see primers until probably next year (and I have a few) but the shot situation is a little bit ridiculous.

nhyrum
05-03-2022, 11:40 AM
Both rotomerals and zipmetals have #8 shot in stock, but it's getting expensive. When I last bought shot before I got out of it about 4 years ago it was 40 to 50 a bag, now it's closer to 80.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

cwtebay
05-03-2022, 11:56 AM
It's actually kinda fun to cast shot! My set up cost around $15 for the steel for gas bar to keep the plate hot, the rest was just junk steel I had around. I can cast down to #7 with little problem, going smaller than that and I get a lot of oblong / tear drop shot.

rancher1913
05-03-2022, 07:18 PM
anytime i need some, i set up my shotmaker and ran however much i need.

zymguy
05-03-2022, 09:41 PM
BPI in Mn recently had flat rate shipping specials , check with them

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

tom catman
05-04-2022, 01:33 PM
so what happened to the guy from dallas' reply ?that says contact him? a pic from him as to his dripping setup would have been nice..but his reply is not here now..i have made a few tons of shot with a littleton but sold it in error thinking i would never use up my 5 gallon supply ..now 3 years later i am looking to make my own.....again......

ReloaderFred
05-04-2022, 08:21 PM
so what happened to the guy from dallas' reply ?that says contact him? a pic from him as to his dripping setup would have been nice..but his reply is not here now..i have made a few tons of shot with a littleton but sold it in error thinking i would never use up my 5 gallon supply ..now 3 years later i am looking to make my own.....again......

The site rules state that offers to buy and sell outside of Swappin' & Sellin' (S&S) aren't allowed, so those posts are deleted when reported, or found. If someone persists in making offers outside of S&S, then an infraction may be issued.

Hope this helps.

Fred

megasupermagnum
05-04-2022, 09:43 PM
No, if anything shotgun shot is the ONLY thing shooting related that hasn't gone off the deep end. Prices are up somewhat, but nothing like we saw in 2010. My local store has a nearly unlimited supply of West Coast in a number of sizes. $58 a bag. It looks like Precision Reloading has most sizes of West Coast and their nickel plated in stock. Their prices are a little high. Runnings sometimes has Lawrence shot for around $60 a bag. Fin Feather Fur is the best price I could find online. They have West Coast for $50 a bag.

Like everything now, it's not a constant stream supply. It could be gone tomorrow there, and show up somewhere else.

remy3424
05-04-2022, 10:13 PM
Have seen way more shot than primers in stores.

dverna
05-05-2022, 09:07 AM
Visit or call your local trap and skeet clubs. Some sell shot or organize group buys.

I used to buy my shot either at trap shoots or from the distributor who supplied club needs.

Soundguy
05-05-2022, 09:42 AM
As others said.. shot is available.. but expect to pay 80-90$ a bag. Roto metals has it.. as well as some places on ebay and amazon.

If you go to mayco industries site.. they sell lawurence brand shot. there are links to click on for consumer level buying.. that takes you to a lawurence brand site. I was able to put a few different shot types like 7.5 and 8 in a cart without getting out of stock notices.

RogerDat
05-05-2022, 09:48 AM
I know lead prices at scrap yards are up. Both to sell and to buy from those that will sell. Shot dripping looked entirely do-able. Just don't have the motivation myself. If I shot trap or skeet I would look into it.

I do cast buck shot since those loads are expensive and making ones own offers more significant savings. Offset by low volume of buckshot shell usage. A six cavity .31 ball mold from Track of the Wolf or the buckshot molds from MP molds makes that possible.

Soundguy
05-05-2022, 09:51 AM
I know lead prices at scrap yards are up. Both to sell and to buy from those that will sell. Shot dripping looked entirely do-able. Just don't have the motivation myself. If I shot trap or skeet I would look into it.

I do cast buck shot since those loads are expensive and making ones own offers more significant savings. Offset by low volume of buckshot shell usage. A six cavity .31 ball mold from Track of the Wolf or the buckshot molds from MP molds makes that possible.

Agreed... I shoot more buck and slug than shot.. so would rather buy shot than get into shot dripping.. I make my own 00 and #4 buck and 1oz slugs.

tom catman
05-05-2022, 09:57 AM
i see why the post was deleted,thanks...

Soundguy
05-05-2022, 10:04 AM
Care to post some pics of your setup? or plans / discussion.. sounds like a neat deal.

Soundguy
05-05-2022, 11:19 AM
neat.. thanks

Scorpion8
05-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Finding shot hasn't been a problem, just powder and primers. Powder is starting to trickle in, but primers either show up in one gaggle and are sold out within seconds, or do not show up at all.

dverna
05-05-2022, 01:36 PM
My last purchase was 40 bags and there was a discount for buying in quantity. Just checked with one of the suppliers we used (Dawson Enterprises) and current price is $50/bag for #4 to #9 Lawarence Shot.

I do not know any trap shooters who make shot. It is not cost effective. Everyone buys shot at shoots or the club. You can sell 25 lbs of alloy for $30. The shot you make is never as good as commercial shot and there is a lot of work involved to save $20. I suppose if you enjoy making shot as a hobby the savings are not as important.

megasupermagnum
05-05-2022, 09:50 PM
My last purchase was 40 bags and there was a discount for buying in quantity. Just checked with one of the suppliers we used (Dawson Enterprises) and current price is $50/bag for #4 to #9 Lawarence Shot.

I do not know any trap shooters who make shot. It is not cost effective. Everyone buys shot at shoots or the club. You can sell 25 lbs of alloy for $30. The shot you make is never as good as commercial shot and there is a lot of work involved to save $20. I suppose if you enjoy making shot as a hobby the savings are not as important.

I'm seeing similar prices. There is no reason at all to be buying shot online right now. I can point you to 2 stores in SD, 1 store in MN, and likely one store in ND that all have good USA shot for under $60 a bag. Don't fall for the internet trap. Sometimes they have deals. Now is not one of them. There's no shortage of shot, and no reason to be paying $90 a bag.

Soundguy
05-06-2022, 07:21 AM
I wish florida had some for sale..but nowhere I've called so far does.

dverna
05-06-2022, 07:36 AM
I wish florida had some for sale..but nowhere I've called so far does.

Try the Silver Dollar

17202 Target Way, Odessa, FL 33556

Phone: 813-920-3231

Web: silverdollartrap.com

I used to shoot there for the Southern Grand, Florida State and Paralyzed Veterans of America shoots and they sold components. Not sure if you have to be a member to buy, but a phone call should get you the answer. If you need to be a member I know couple of guys who are members who I can reach out to, to help you out.

Good luck

RogerDat
05-06-2022, 11:02 AM
I'm seeing similar prices. There is no reason at all to be buying shot online right now. I can point you to 2 stores in SD, 1 store in MN, and likely one store in ND that all have good USA shot for under $60 a bag. Don't fall for the internet trap. Sometimes they have deals. Now is not one of them. There's no shortage of shot, and no reason to be paying $90 a bag.

thing about internet sales is if there are enough people wanting it in the entire country the price can go to the highest price the most desperate will pay. Like Gun Broker and primers. As long as there are people willing to pay $175 a thousand anyplace the price on that online site will be $175. The local Jays will be more moderate in their prices but may limit one to 5 packs of 100 x 2 types or 500 of same.

So online will have the item but at the price the most desperate are willing to pay. Places we normally shop may have decent prices but will sell out quickly due to the wide reach of an internet store front. See primers listed at $75 but never in stock. With the desperate paying $175 there is a profit to be had sitting on the powder valleys and Midway sites to snatch them up as soon as they are in stock.

LabGuy
05-08-2022, 10:08 PM
Rotometals has a distribution center Orlando.

W.R.Buchanan
05-09-2022, 03:18 PM
I got 2 bags of #9 Eagle Brand yesterday for $48 each, which will last me for a while. That's 800 rounds of 12 ga. or 1600 rounds of .410 Need Primers and Powder next.

Randy

tom catman
06-09-2022, 10:29 AM
coyote merchantile has reclaimed for $30 a bag plus shipping.is washed and regraphited

Soundguy
06-09-2022, 11:58 AM
No, if anything shotgun shot is the ONLY thing shooting related that hasn't gone off the deep end. Prices are up somewhat, but nothing like we saw in 2010. My local store has a nearly unlimited supply of West Coast in a number of sizes. $58 a bag. It looks like Precision Reloading has most sizes of West Coast and their nickel plated in stock. Their prices are a little high. Runnings sometimes has Lawrence shot for around $60 a bag. Fin Feather Fur is the best price I could find online. They have West Coast for $50 a bag.

Like everything now, it's not a constant stream supply. It could be gone tomorrow there, and show up somewhere else.
180$ per 50# plus freight seems high to me... That's what rotometals sells..they have some for 190 too.
Many places selling lawerence shot have 0 or low availability. Some point out reclaimed shot. I've checked 2 places twice and seen none.

Prompted me to get an oasis dripper. I've made 3 batches not in 6 and 7.5. It's almost paid for itself now.

Soundguy
06-09-2022, 12:02 PM
coyote merchantile has reclaimed for $30 a bag plus shipping.is washed and regraphited

Out of stock as of noon today... And their reclaimed shot is a mix of 6 7 7.5 8 and 9.

Not interested in mystery shot like that...

Means they use a #7 sieve... It lets anything 6 or smaller thru.