PDA

View Full Version : so....i'm a cartridge collector, what does "FLANGED" really mean?

mozeppa
05-01-2022, 07:32 AM
does it mean BELTED ...RIMMED ....BOTH?

run across this word with many Holland & Holland cartridges (some others)

thanks!

john.k
05-01-2022, 07:48 AM
It means rimmed .....I believe H&H were one of the main users of the terminology ,because their double guns could use the high powered rounds of the day ,like 7x57 Mauser with a rim.

cwtebay
05-01-2022, 08:38 AM
What john.k. said.
It's more of a British term, especially used when similarly named cartridges have a rimless version as well.
Think 375 H&H Magnum and 375 Flanged Nitro Express (designed for break action rifles and a completely different class of cartridge).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

sharps4590
05-01-2022, 08:51 AM
British: Flanged = Rimmed
Continental: Rimmed = Rimmed
US: Rimmed = Rimmed

Everywhere: Belted = Belted as in a rimless case with a belt above the extractor groove, used for headspace purposes.

gwpercle
05-01-2022, 11:13 AM
If you are into Cartridge Collecting ... pick up ( Amazon $35 ) a copy of "Cartridges of the World" 16th Edition
references for over 1,500 cartridges with glossary for tems ...
My 7th edition has 16 chapters with info on obsolete , modern , sporting , military , metallic , rimfire shotgun ammo ... and a bunch more .
Buy this book and you almost become a ammo expert ... read all the chapters and you will pick up a lifetime of knowledge .
My 7th Edition is dated 1993 ... Heck Fire that's almost 30 years old !!! ... I got to go place an order for that 16th Edition .
Collecting cartridges and reloading ammo ... you want this book !
Gary

jonp
05-01-2022, 02:00 PM
If you are into Cartridge Collecting ... pick up ( Amazon $35 ) a copy of "Cartridges of the World" 16th Edition
references for over 1,500 cartridges with glossary for tems ...
My 7th edition has 16 chapters with info on obsolete , modern , sporting , military , metallic , rimfire shotgun ammo ... and a bunch more .
Buy this book and you almost become a ammo expert ... read all the chapters and you will pick up a lifetime of knowledge .
My 7th Edition is dated 1993 ... Heck Fire that's almost 30 years old !!! ... I got to go place an order for that 16th Edition .
Collecting cartridges and reloading ammo ... you want this book !
Gary

Definate must have book

cwtebay
05-01-2022, 02:37 PM
While Cartridges of the World is a fascinating book to own; several times mistakes have been pointed out to me.

mozeppa
05-02-2022, 01:27 PM
i have the 16th of Cartridges of the world .....and have worn it out (and yes, a huge number of mistakes!)

also have Ammo Encyclopedia ..........several mistakes in it as well.

salpal48
05-02-2022, 03:19 PM
I have been a life long Cartridge Collector. In collectors circles " cartridge of the world" is the Bible of being Wrong

gwpercle
05-03-2022, 12:13 PM
Definate must have book

When I started reloading in 1967 I was totally ignorant and completely lost as to all the names , terms , what was what , history of different rounds and discovered "Cartridges of the World" in the rack with the reloading manuals . So that day in 1967 I buy Hornady Reloading Manual #1 (1967) and Cartridges Of The World #1 (1965) and headed out to start reloading .
I used to buy updated COTW every 3 - 4 years when they came out, but my last is the #7 1993 Edition ...time for an update .
There is also some limited reloading data for both obsolete , wildcat and modern cartridges .
Anyone interested in reloading / shooting / collecting ... you need to have one on your bookshelf .
Gary

cwtebay
05-03-2022, 12:43 PM
I dabble in collecting cartridges and boxes - but for those on this forum who are serious about the hobby, what sources do you rely on the most?
I think that Ray Giles has an excellent book on cartridge boxes and their evolution, but don't have much in the way of cartridge references.