PDA

View Full Version : PMC 7mm Rem Mag shell holder

Duckiller
04-30-2022, 04:04 AM
Am reloading some 7mm Rem Mag loads for my brother. Started out with some PMC brass that will not fit in a RCBS #4 shell holder. #4 works just fine for Remington and Winchester brass but is definitely too small for PMC brass. Only have 150 pieces of brass to begin with and don't want to give up on any with out at least trying to find a holder that fits/works. If anyone has any experience with PMC 7mm Rem Mag brass I would really like to know what shell holder you used. Not a big rush. I plan on visiting various relatives in Sept or Oct if gas /diesel is reasonably affordable. At 79 I would like to take at least one last driving trip but I am not sure I want to spend $8.00+ a gallon for fuel.

kbstenberg
04-30-2022, 09:17 AM
I will look in my unused shell holders. If i do you can have it for postage cost.

Duckiller
04-30-2022, 05:46 PM
Appreciate the offer. My biggest problem is finding a holder that fits PMC brass. I have a RCBS #4 that fits most of my brass. After posting this I am going to my shop and will measure the PMC brass to see what I need. Will post measurements later.

ulav8r
05-01-2022, 12:11 AM
Many people claim Lee shell holders tend to be a loose fit on most brass, one of those might work.

Duckiller
05-01-2022, 01:58 AM
Measured some brass. Extraction groove in PMC is0.476" dia. in R-P groove is 0.471". RCBS #4 is 0.471+"I did not measure the thickness of the head of any of the brass. PMC brass is too thick but I am not sure where it is too thick. Not sure if it is the diameter of the extractor groove or the thickness of the head is too great or a combination of both. Have enough brass for my brother to have at least 100 rounds to sight in his rifle and kill a few deer. I have also sent him 50 rounds of 270 ammo. 130 gr. soft point. Since he is 76 it may be a life time supply of ammo. If fuel prices are reasonable I may swing by Lee to see if their shell holder will work on PMC. Thank everyone for your assistance.

Duckiller
05-03-2022, 03:10 PM
Got a Lee shell holder. PMC brass fits. Only problem is I don't know how to use it. Instead of a post that all my other shell holders have this one has a threaded hole in it.I am sure there is an adaptor someplace that willlet me use thisholder, just have to find it.

ulav8r
05-03-2022, 11:48 PM
Does it look like this one 299752? This is a shell holder for the old hand priming tool. Lee also makes standard shell holders that slip onto the ram of your press.