PDA

View Full Version : Lyman orange magic lube question

catkiller45
04-29-2022, 03:00 PM
Is there something I can add to these sticks of lube to make it softer for pan lubing to be sure it sticks to the bullets??

fc60
04-29-2022, 03:41 PM
Greetings,

Reading the MSDS sheet the only clue I found was this...

Solubility: Insoluble in water. Soluble in organic solvents when warmed.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/user/file/2/8/2857286_orange_magic_lube_reach_sds_rev_1.pdf

Once the solvents evaporate away no guess as to whether or not you can press the bullets through the lube.

Cheers,

Dave

Maven
04-29-2022, 03:45 PM
I doubt very much the Lyman version of that lube is suitable for pan lubing as it is much too hard. However, if kept molten, it may work for dipping CB's.

gwpercle
04-29-2022, 05:40 PM
I doubt very much the Lyman version of that lube is suitable for pan lubing as it is much too hard. However, if kept molten, it may work for dipping CB's.

:goodpost:
Dipping may work better than pan lubing . A thin coat should do it .
I would try - size first then dip , let set up and load .
Gary

Baltimoreed
04-29-2022, 06:53 PM
If you’re going to pan lube I assume you’re talking cookie cutter. You want it hard after it’s in the grooves. A bigger pan with a little water in it with the smaller lube pan in it with low heat. I would place the new bullets in the pan in the holes from where I cut the old ones out. If I needed more lube I would whittle a little lube off the stick and drop it in the pan between the bullets. When the lube was in the grooves I would use a pair of pliers to pick it up and place it in the fridge. Once everything was hard I would cut those out and do it again. Then run them through my lee bullet sizer die. I don’t remember using orange but with a double pan I don’t see why it wouldn’t work fine. I use Lyman orange in my heated lubrisizer.

Green Frog
04-30-2022, 05:07 PM
There are lubes that do well for pan lubing and there are lubes that require heating to be used in a lube pump. They are seldom the same. If you want to soften up an inherently hard lube mix, you’ll need to melt it and blend in something soft. I use Crisco as the softening agent in my version of Emmert’s when I pan lube, but you might use peanut oil, or perhaps canola oil. Beef or sheep tallow were popular in years gone by if you want to be traditional about it.
Not knowing what is actually in the Lyman’s Orange Lube I would be hesitant to try altering it… to many variables are involved. I start with known ingredients and mix them in known proportions. Trying to change someone else’s formula without knowing what is in it will be a little difficult.

Froggie