PDA

View Full Version : New Here, Looking at Casting Setups

orygun_native
01-23-2009, 03:34 PM
I've started collecting wheel weights and am wanting to make some boolits in the next 6 months. I don't really have anything to get started and am looking at starting with a pot and burner, would this work okay? I was a bit worried about getting too much lead in the pot and those legs giving way.

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-B159-Outdoor-Cooker/dp/B000VXHKKO/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1232738414&sr=8-17

I figure if I get that, some molds to make ingots, ladle and thermometer I should be in okay shape to at least get started. I probably won't be making boolits right away but would like to start building a supply of ingots since I'm getting started on the end of the age of wheel weights. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

454PB
01-23-2009, 03:41 PM
First a big welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't trust the legs on that rig to hold much weight. If you weld, or know someone that does, build a more substantial weigh bearing rack and just slide that burner under it. At the very least, weld some rebar leg to leg to strengthen it.

Nothing will ruin your day worse than having 50 pounds of melted lead on your feet and shins.

Pepe Ray
01-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Right!!
It's always wise to be cautious. Evaluate, before you buy, how you would reinforce if necessary. Test by standing on it and moving around.

orygun_native
01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
I think I'll hold off on this one then and buy one at Home Depot I can stand on and test out beforehand. Not sure if they frown upon that in the store. How big is a good size for a pot? I got to looking and a 4qts of molten lead weighs 95 pounds so I'm not sure if the 8.5qt pot would be too big. I wouldn't be filling it full of course.

jnovotny
01-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the site, and I use a fish cooker just like that one, I've smelted over a ton of lead on it. Not all at once though. Just get a pot big enough to hold 40 lbs of lead and you'll never buckle those legs. I plan on building a bigger one to handle 100lbs at a time.

TAWILDCATT
01-26-2009, 04:20 PM
That set up is good for melting WW and cleaning the lead.I would then get a lee 20 lb bottom pour to cast bullets from. :coffeecom [smilie=1:

copdills
01-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Welcome to the forum, I agree with all the above its a hobby take your time and you will have a great time just picking out the right tools, once you start there's no turning BACK LOL

ranger1962
01-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Welcome to a fellow caster as green as I am. I noticed at our TSC store (tractor supply) that they have some turkey cookers similar to this at close-out prices $44.00. You might check your store for the same deal or even tell them that the Eastland,Tx store has this price and see if they will match it. Who knows?

FN in MT
01-30-2009, 01:12 AM
FWIW...I use a turkey cooker BOTTOM and an iron 60# plumbers pot for the cooking pot. Works very well.Then again thats my setup to melt WW's and alloy metal. I now cast with a 22# electric pot. A lot quieter too.

FN in MT

orygun_native
02-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I broke down and bought the setup off Amazon for smelting and will reinforce down the road as needed. I think I'll still get an electric pot for casting. Thanks for the feedback.

glicerin
02-03-2009, 12:42 AM
orygon: I use same burner and legs easily handle 50 lb lead. Might be worth considering a shield for rubber gas line. A large diameter, not too deep pot is best for me. You need wide pot for clips and dirt to have room to float to top, and you can use a large long handled dipper to scoop out lead. AVOID the dust from clips and dirt(lead poisoning). Dip out 30lb, leaving 20 to speed melting of next 30 lb ww charge. It then works very fast. I melt, clean, add tin for alloy and flux 400-500lb in 5 hours or so alone. Keep pot and ingot molds at waist height, easier on back. Have fun, be safe, heavy clothing, boots, and eye protection.