PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets in .400 CorBon?

earthquake
04-26-2022, 07:53 PM
I Picked up a .400 CorBon barrel from Midway when they were on sale for a 1911 I am working on, has any one ever shot cast bullets in one? I have a box of 155gn Rim Rock SWC's I am going to try out.
I know this is kinda a forgotten round and the 10mm is better but I like different. I will be using std .45 ACP case's to make my brass, in case somebody is not familiar with the .400 CB it is a .45 ACP necked down to .400"/10mm with a short neck, I made up some test rounds and it is a little hard to get a cast bullet in the case straight.

eQ

Oldfeller
04-26-2022, 09:52 PM
Seek the wierd.

Use 45 super brass when making your cases and plan to load it on up ....... the name changes to 40 CorBon Super at that point and if you make your gun up using a muzzle brake you can get some quite strange activities going on.

You exceed the 400 Corbon powder charge listing amounts and the gun begins to not want to cycle when using the heavy springs you just bought. The brake is working TOO WELL and the recoil simply isn't there to operate the gun.

Keep on going up on the charge weights further into muzzle brake terra incognito with larger and larger charge weights until the gun begins to cycle softly but properly again. Only remaining somewhat strange symptom is that the barrel dips on you instead of kicking the muzzle up like it always did before.

And the firing blast is LARGE, very large ...... The thought of firing one without wearing full shooting muffs would be worth your ears.

earthquake
04-26-2022, 10:00 PM
I shoot .50 BMG so I know about muzzle blast, I have a 18-19 and 20lb springs for it. I not out to make it shoot like a 10mm I just want it to function normally, I have a brace of .44 Auto Mags if I want muzzle energy.

eQ

justindad
04-26-2022, 11:02 PM
What seater does are you using? Does the push pin of the seater for match the profile of the bullet? How far & straight into the case are the bullets when you hand place them?
I load .357SIG and never had issue with the bullets sitting straight.

earthquake
04-27-2022, 11:24 PM
I think it has a round nose seater in it I am going to take the SWC seater out of my .357 mag die and see if that helps

eQ