PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I can get?

gundoctor
04-25-2022, 08:43 PM
I need to check how some of my cast boolits expand & ballistic gelatin is too pricy for me. It's also too much work to do it myself, so if I can find about 25-30 lbs of duct-seal, I'd be a happy camper.

Anyone have a recommendation????

GhostHawk
04-25-2022, 09:05 PM
You might try filling a box with wet newspaper.

country gent
04-25-2022, 09:08 PM
I think at one time midway sold a tube with a ballistic media ready to use. You might check there.

DocSavage
04-25-2022, 09:27 PM
Mc Masters or Grangers might have what you need.

elmacgyver0
04-25-2022, 09:45 PM
Buy some hams, you can make bean soup out of them later.

Bmi48219
04-25-2022, 10:20 PM
Has anyone tried using ‘carpenter in a can’, that foam insulation in the red aerosol can?

Sasquatch-1
04-26-2022, 06:42 AM
Try a couple of 25# blocks of modeling clay from Amazon. As long as you keep it moist it should last a long time.

remy3424
04-26-2022, 07:30 AM
Be careful what you wish for. Amazon has gallon pails of it for $36...a few of those might give you what you want, but then you have to try to dig through that gunk to find the boolits and fragments of boolits. Has to be something much better than that, really doubt the duct seal will make you a happy camper....same with clay. The wet newspaper sounds like a much easier option when it comes to recovering the projectiles.

farmbif
04-26-2022, 08:59 AM
with phone books being a bit difficult to find these days unless you might know a crew that goes around cleaning out the houses of hoarders.
wet bales of hay can be a cheap substitute.

Froogal
04-26-2022, 09:44 AM
with phone books being a bit difficult to find these days unless you might know a crew that goes around cleaning out the houses of hoarders.
wet bales of hay can be a cheap substitute.

Phone books are almost a thing of the past, but I still receive THICK catalogs in the mail. Stack a few of those catalogs together, add a few magazines, and you should have something that will tell the story.

04-26-2022, 11:19 AM
A good MSC catalog properly soaked.

Michael J. Spangler
04-26-2022, 10:46 PM
Bite the bullet and buy some clearballistic gel.
It’s inexpensive (especially if you get the outlet blocks) and can be reused indefinitely.

Winger Ed.
04-26-2022, 10:53 PM
For steel, go to a scrap yard.
They normally will sell stuff for about double what they buy it for.

Every body wins. They get more than taking it to a smelter, and you get it for way less than new/retail.

Sasquatch-1
04-27-2022, 07:11 AM
Phone books are almost a thing of the past, but I still receive THICK catalogs in the mail. Stack a few of those catalogs together, add a few magazines, and you should have something that will tell the story.

Another suggestion is to find your local newspaper office and see if you can get a couple of bundles of outdated newspapers.

Spoonz
04-27-2022, 07:23 AM
I make my own gel, It isn’t perfect but it does work. Here is the link to the gelatin powder i use and I just googled the directions on “how to make ballistic gel”

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDPCXYJ?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_3FP4YKP5CCGSV8HTH M08

MOA
04-29-2022, 11:05 AM
If you have a boy Scout troop in your area or any other group that does paper drives to raise money they might be someone to get with on using wet catalogs. A paper recycling business might also be an option.

ofitg
04-30-2022, 09:16 AM
I make my own gel, It isn’t perfect but it does work. Here is the link to the gelatin powder i use and I just googled the directions on “how to make ballistic gel”

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDPCXYJ?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_3FP4YKP5CCGSV8HTH M08

For those who may be interested in making their own SYNTHETIC (re-usable) gel, this article provides a recipe - see "Section 2. Material" - you might have to adjust the proportions of SEBS and mineral oil to get the exact performance you're looking for -

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002076831300509X

Sasquatch-1
05-01-2022, 07:45 AM
Has anyone considered the slime solution that kids make?

Slime has two components: a borax and water solution and a glue, water, and food coloring solution. Prepare them separately:
Mix 1 teaspoon of borax in 1 cup of water. Stir until the borax is dissolved.
In a separate container, mix 1/2 cup (4 oz.) white glue with 1/2 cup water. Add food coloring, if desired.

According to the article I just looked at, by changing the ratios of borax and glue you can make it stiffer or loser.

You might have to put it in old milk jugs to shoot it, but it should be cheap to make compared to gelatin.