PDA

View Full Version : Buying new lawn tractor...

375supermag
04-25-2022, 04:12 PM
Hi...
I decided to replace my 19year old Cub Cadet riding mower after using it one last time this spring. It has always been a very dependable mower that has been well maintained but it seems to be slowly losing it's power to climb the hills here at The Estate. I suppose the 16hp shaft drive engine is just wearing out.

Anyway...went to one of the local Cub Cadet dealers today and bought a new XT2 lawn tractor with a 20hp Kohler motor and a 42" deck.

Dealer said it will be ready to
pick up tomorrow. When my son gets home from work we will hook his trailer up to his GMC pick up and go get the tractor.

Sort of sad to see the old Cub go but 19years is a pretty good run.

farmbif
04-25-2022, 04:22 PM
that's what I need to do is get a new lawn mower. its a major investment these days to get anything that is of any quality.

Shawlerbrook
04-25-2022, 04:39 PM
Had to replace my 20 year old JD last year. Tractor was still going but mower deck was shot.

Bazoo
04-25-2022, 05:03 PM
I use a Murray from 67. It’s a rust bucket and has had many repairs. The deck is held up by chains. The front axle is bolted back together, after being beat back into shape. But it runs and cuts the grass with minimum of maintenance. I gave 150 for it delivered from a yard sale in town. Been using it 8 or maybe 10 years now. It burns oil. I have to occasionally tinker on it but nothing major. Unless you count having to mount the deck via chain since the mounting points rusted off. By golly it just won’t quit.

jonp
04-25-2022, 05:33 PM
Wow, you dont have a 2166 do you? Ours is older than yours and ive had to replace some parts like the starter and electric clutch, weld the deck, rewire the safety switches but the engine and shaft drive is still strong.
Started spurting gas out of the carb the other day and wouldn't run as it flooded out. Figured maybe the carb float finally had it and priced a Chinesium carb online for $20, cheaper than a rebuild kit but decided to try the Sea Foam treatment. Let it dry out, started it up and hosed the carb with aerosol Sea Foam till black smoke came out. Shut it off for 30min and now runs like a champ again. That Kohler 16hp Command is a tough little engine
Cost us $100 over 10 yrs ago.

Before i dumped that old mower id try replacing the fluids and filters. I used Tractor Supply Universal Trans/Hydraulic as direct replacement and cheaper than Cub Cadet.

375supermag
04-25-2022, 05:42 PM
Yes...it is a 2166.
Been a good tractor but it is time to replace it.
Interesting that it cost $3000 in 2003 and the new XT2 with a 20hp Kohler cost just undr $3100.
To buy a shaft drive Cub today is about $6000 plus another $1200 or so for the mower deck.
I would rather change the belts occasionally on this XT2 than spend the extra money for the shaft drive

jonp
04-25-2022, 05:45 PM
that's what I need to do is get a new lawn mower. its a major investment these days to get anything that is of any quality.

No lie. I priced one last year when the clutch finally went out and ordered an after market clutch.

Pro Tip: people return riding mowers to Lowes/HDepot for all kinds of reasons. I was delivering to a Lowes the other day and wandered out back as usual. The largest Craftsman they sell was sitting there with a repair ticket, looked new. Guy said it was brought back as wouldnt start. New battery was all it needed and they were going to knock off $500-$1000 as clearence. Pays to check

Winger Ed.
04-25-2022, 05:56 PM
Cool. I always like getting new stuff.

The old one may be a good project for somebody to rebuild the engine on too.
Beating the system is always good too.

elmacgyver0
04-25-2022, 06:02 PM
I just got my 1976 Craftsman tractor running again last fall.

PopcornSutton
04-25-2022, 06:27 PM
I bought a new JD 160 rider in 1988. Kawasaki motor, 5 speed manual. The transaxle went out about 6 years ago, found one off of a junker. In this time, I have put 3 batteries in it, still running original tires, replaced the seat, but I still use it most every day, for something. I happened to find a 1988 165 for sale a few years ago, same mower just a hydrostatic. It was very lightly used, so I bought it and this is what I mow with now. The decks are twice the thickness as the new crap, the Kawasaki engines can't be beat. I'll keep fixing the incidentals when they crop up, before buying a new chicom mower.

Alstep
04-25-2022, 08:04 PM
Still using my International 154 Cub Lo-Boy made in 1970. Had to put a new clutch in it last year. Getting it ready for this year. A lot of parts are no longer available, so I had to machine new spindles for the mower deck. New bearings, and a little welding here & there, it'll be good for another season.

farmbif
04-25-2022, 08:46 PM
ive been watching a Kubota 2850 with 1000 hours on auction. my property is no joke to mow, nothing is level or flat and there is about 15-18 acres of some of the toughest grass and weeds I ever encountered that needs mowing. some I can get with the bush hog but there is a lot I can't

myg30
04-26-2022, 08:39 AM
375, keep us posted how you like that mower. I’ve been eyeing one since end of the season last year. Prices went up a little because of covid I guess. Were $2200 and now $2400.
I’m replacing an old Murray 42” but while it’s still going it’s hard to replace the old gal.
Only problems I have had were carb and battery replacement and bunch of flat tires from those bodock thorns that are hard as a finishing nail. Slime seems to be working but occasionally have to pump up a tire that’s low.

Enjoy the new ride, Mike

sparky45
04-26-2022, 09:08 AM
I upgraded my mower to a Gravely XLZT HD 52 and it's a beast. I cut/mowed some pasture Fescue that was about a foot tall and it buzzed right through it without hesitation. Got it with the Kawasaki engine. A little pricey @ $5900 but I expect it to last long after I'm gone.

ebb
04-26-2022, 09:15 AM
i bought a wheel horse back in the 1980s, I mowed with it for years finally after the third deck was worn through i got a dixie chopper.