PDA

View Full Version : Making your own quality alloys

Wolfdog91
04-24-2022, 07:45 PM
Ok so I have no desire to buy pre made alloys. Not really interested in just getting random Lead from where ever and hoping I mix it right every time. Maybe for pistol but not for my rifle casting.I wanna be able to buy pure lead tin antimony and make my own alloys. What's a guy need to do this accurately and repeatedly?

bangerjim
04-24-2022, 07:51 PM
Buy Sb alloy already! Then mix it with Pb and Sn to what you want. Sb is too difficult to mess with on it's own. Buy it already alloy mixed with Pb from RotoMetals like Hardball.

That's what I do to make my own COWW and other alloys when needed. Have made hundreds of pounds of it that way until I ran into a mother-load of COWW alloy ingots! COWW's are nonexistent around me now. All Zn.

banger

Mitch
04-24-2022, 07:55 PM
If you do not want to do any of the work involved buy your bullets.Other than that i do not know what you are looking to do if you do not want to buy any lead.

wilecoyote
04-24-2022, 08:10 PM
serious doubts about finding straight Antimony...

Gofaaast
04-24-2022, 08:29 PM
Buy alloys from Rotometals. If your insistence on doing some of the alloying yourself buy hardball, pure and tin. Reason being it’s difficult to alloy antimony as someone already mentioned.

Wolfdog91
04-24-2022, 09:09 PM
If you do not want to do any of the work involved buy your bullets.Other than that i do not know what you are looking to do if you do not want to buy any lead.

No I wanna do all the work. Just have no desire to buy pre mixed alloy. I wanna buy pure lead ,tin and antimony and mix my own

Wolfdog91
04-24-2022, 09:09 PM
Buy alloys from Rotometals. If your insistence on doing some of the alloying yourself buy hardball, pure and tin. Reason being it’s difficult to alloy antimony as someone already mentioned.

Why is is difficult to ally antimony exactly?

Wolfdog91
04-24-2022, 09:13 PM
serious doubts about finding straight Antimony...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220425/cc5fdace07a7db88bdab2bfcf0ac608a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220425/de8aae1c48fdf834e69c39c53d7abee5.jpg
Not 100% but close enough

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Wolfdog91
04-24-2022, 09:13 PM
Buy Sb alloy already! Then mix it with Pb and Sn to what you want. Sb is too difficult to mess with on it's own. Buy it already alloy mixed with Pb from RotoMetals like Hardball.

That's what I do to make my own COWW and other alloys when needed. Have made hundreds of pounds of it that way until I ran into a mother-load of COWW alloy ingots! COWW's are nonexistent around me now. All Zn.

bangerWhat exactly makes it so difficult?

Mitch
04-24-2022, 09:24 PM
the pure antimony is the problem. getting it into the alloy.I am sure some one here will have a better expination.It is not just toss the pure antimony in the pot. you would be better off getting some superhard.

Wolfdog91
04-24-2022, 09:37 PM
And that's why I asked, very curious about what it takes to actually get it into the mix properly

wilecoyote
04-24-2022, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE]

...here it is not that easy, however you have solved one of the four problems. you are left with pure lead and pure tin, and maybe rotometals can help you. then mix all three without the antimony tending to dissolve, and predicting how much will remain in the alloy. more than this I honestly do not know.
my best wishes

Mal Paso
04-24-2022, 09:54 PM
Antimony Man who was around when I started casting used to sell the materials to alloy antimony with lead. The method was difficult and the man is long gone. Rotometals Superhard is much easier.

I bought a pallet of 3.5% antimony lead from Rotometals a while back when prices were good and add my own tin.

Wolfdog91
04-24-2022, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE]

...here it is not that easy, however you have solved one of the four problems. you are left with pure lead and pure tin, and maybe rotometals can help you. then mix all three without the antimony tending to dissolve, and predicting how much will remain in the alloy. more than this I honestly do not know.
my best wisheshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220425/6d6843a1ea24e43d49203c3424b5ccc0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220425/34214f2bfb31f25c556692ef80eb1f1e.jpg
3 outta 4 right now lol ? So what's the next part ?

wilecoyote
04-24-2022, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=3 outta 4 right now lol ? So what's the next part ?
Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
...4 the mix but, as I said, ...more than this I honestly do not know.
here I'm still playing with scraps, soldering alloys. and leftovers of lyno&monotype_

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-24-2022, 10:25 PM
sounds easy enough ;)

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?37734-How-to-melt-antimony

Bigslug
04-24-2022, 10:43 PM
The problem is that the melting point of antimony by itself is almost 1200F - or almost double that of lead, and almost three times that of tin. This is why we seek it pre-alloyed. What you buy and what you mix of course depends on what you're trying to do.

If you go with store bought Lyman #2 which is 90/5/5 and mix it 1-1 with pure lead, you get 95/2.5/2.5, which is DARN close to 94/3/3, also known as wheelweight+2% tin. 10 pounds of #2 to 8 or 9 pounds pure would get you there pretty much exactly. With those ingredients, you could have about 12-13 BHN for the WW+2% equivalent air cooled; water quench the same mix up to @20-24BHN; or just run air-cooled #2 at 15BHN. Of course, you can also keep adding pure lead to get as soft as you want.

Not much in this game you couldn't accomplish with those, and the science doesn't get that weird. A few tin nuggets on hand to toss in if you can't get good fillout, and your off and running.

KYCaster
04-24-2022, 11:01 PM
Ok so I have no desire to buy pre made alloys. Not really interested in just getting random Lead from where ever and hoping I mix it right every time. Maybe for pistol but not for my rifle casting.I wanna be able to buy pure lead tin antimony and make my own alloys. What's a guy need to do this accurately and repeatedly?

No I wanna do all the work. Just have no desire to buy pre mixed alloy. I wanna buy pure lead ,tin and antimony and mix my own

Why is is difficult to ally antimony exactly?

What exactly makes it so difficult?

What you want to do is not all that difficult.
Lots of negative comments about alloying Sb(Antimony), but it's not like rocket surgery. Bit of a learning curve, but nothing most of us can't handle.
Finding the metals isn't difficult; get the Sn and Pb from your local plumbing supply wholesaler (not Lowe's). 95/5 lead free solder is about $40.00 a pound. It's 95% Sn and the 5% may be Silver, Copper, Nickel or whatever, doesn't matter. Ask for MSDS data sheets, tells you exactly what's in it.
Ask for "caulking lead", comes in 5 pound pucks, 5 linked together for about $120. Usually 99.5% pure; as good as you're gonna find.
Rotometals is probably the best source for small amounts of Sb. I'd go for the 5lb. ingot for $70 rather than the shot. I've never dealt with the shot but I'm concerned about the amount of surface oxide vs the ingot. The oxide is toxic and is more difficult to dissolve in your alloy.

So for 100 lbs of 3-3-94 alloy you're looking at...
100 lbs of Pb.........$480
5 lbs of Sb..............$70
3 lbs of Sn............$120

$6.70 per pound with some Pb and Sb left for the next batch. Not too bad for a couple days work.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Jerry

Lead pot
04-24-2022, 11:26 PM
If you want to mix an alloy with antimony I would find Linotype or look for some one pound rolls of no lead solder that is 95% tin 5% antimony. WW are rich in antimony and a mix of 50/50 WW/lead makes a good alloy that works well.
The photo is an example of alloy mixes and the far right is a mix of one roll of no lead solder with 18# Lead and that bullet was shot with a .45-90 with 82 gr of 2F black powder as well as the rest with the same powder loads.
One thing to keep in mind is you can end up with bullets that look like these .308 fired with the .30-30 at jacked velocity that might end up longer then it was before it was fired.
The second and far right are unfired.

dverna
04-24-2022, 11:31 PM
Ask yourself why you want to formulate your alloys from scratch. IMO you will gain nothing in bullet performance over alloys you can purchase so that leaves trying to save a bit of money. Have you worked the numbers to determine the cost savings?

Wolfdog91
04-25-2022, 12:41 AM
Ask yourself why you want to formulate your alloys from scratch. IMO you will gain nothing in bullet performance over alloys you can purchase so that leaves trying to save a bit of money. Have you worked the numbers to determine the cost savings?

O I could honestly care less about cost saving and all that. I simply just wanna do it . I get bored really easy and just buy stuff dosent really appeal to me honestly. Seems more and more of an odd thought process now days but I wanna be able to say I made my own alloy from scratch and mean it. And the more people talk about it being hard just makes me wanna try it more
Same reason I started casting for a .223 instead of something else. Everyone kept saying how hard it would be and all I heard was " hayyyy ! That seems like it would be fun for a few months"

BJung
04-25-2022, 12:50 AM
.22 bullet lead is said to have around 2%-3% antinomy in it than tin. You can start with that. Find a private indoor range that shoots predominately .22lr. My next project is to use this kind of lead and add 2% tin for a hollow point alloy.

Lead pot
04-25-2022, 09:21 AM
The problem most run into casting bullets is having a magnum mentality. They try to push them at jacketed velocity's.
It looks to me like your wanting to cast for the HP rifles. Find a Lyman cast bullet manual, a old one if you can. It gives you a lot of good information for alloy mixes and load data for cast bullets.

HWooldridge
04-25-2022, 09:44 AM
My recipe bins contain many pounds of the following items: (1) Pure lead, (2) 50/50 bar solder (lead/tin) and (3) linotype, and I also own a Lee Lead Tester. With these three source materials, I can get any alloy hardness from pure lead to pure linotype.

farmbif
04-25-2022, 09:56 AM
if you have pure lead already. its just so much easier to add either super hard or foundry type with known quantities of tin and antimony in them and you will be able to make up just about whatever your needs might be..
I'm not real good at searching but somewhere on here is long discussion of real world experience folks trying to add pure antimony into an alloy mix.
to me most of it read like a living nightmare. id rather leave that kind of stuff to the experts that have proper knowledge and facilities
just my opinion anyway
and as far as pushing cast bullets to max possible rifle velocity has quite a bit to do with twist rate of barrel, lube and sizing .
like I say I'm no expert but back before the internet and places like this site all I had to go on were the Lyman load books and they would call for Linotype or Lyman #2 alloy. well just because back then I never had any Lino or #2 but had lots of wheel weights and that what we used and got those wheel weights to do what Lyman called for Lino

dverna
04-25-2022, 10:04 AM
What you want to do is not all that difficult.
Lots of negative comments about alloying Sb(Antimony), but it's not like rocket surgery. Bit of a learning curve, but nothing most of us can't handle.
Finding the metals isn't difficult; get the Sn and Pb from your local plumbing supply wholesaler (not Lowe's). 95/5 lead free solder is about $40.00 a pound. It's 95% Sn and the 5% may be Silver, Copper, Nickel or whatever, doesn't matter. Ask for MSDS data sheets, tells you exactly what's in it.
Ask for "caulking lead", comes in 5 pound pucks, 5 linked together for about $120. Usually 99.5% pure; as good as you're gonna find.
Rotometals is probably the best source for small amounts of Sb. I'd go for the 5lb. ingot for $70 rather than the shot. I've never dealt with the shot but I'm concerned about the amount of surface oxide vs the ingot. The oxide is toxic and is more difficult to dissolve in your alloy.

So for 100 lbs of 3-3-94 alloy you're looking at...
100 lbs of Pb.........$480
5 lbs of Sb..............$70
3 lbs of Sn............$120

$6.70 per pound with some Pb and Sb left for the next batch. Not too bad for a couple days work.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Jerry

That makes no sense. You can get 94-3-3 cheaper and easier.

Buy 60 lbs of Lyman #2 from Rotometals - twelve 5 lb ingots
Buy 40 lbs of Pure from Rotometals - eight 5 lb ingoyd.

I just put those quantities in their "shopping cart" and cost came $365 delivered. $3.65/lb vs your cost of $6.70/lb by mixing stuff together. Rotometals ships to your door. No need for two days work.

Should not take more than a couple of hours to make a 100 lb batch.

But the OP is not interested in what alloy to use or the cost. He wants to make his own so maybe spending $6.70/lb is the way to go...LOL

BTW, I am not pushing Rotometals and in fact have never bought from them. I buy foundry alloy in bulk and can beat their prices, but they offer a good service for small batch users.

30calflash
04-25-2022, 10:25 AM
Higher temps required to melt it as stated. Also, it is supposedly very toxic, like arsenic. I don't know if it can get you sick by handling it breathing it, etc. Something I read in NRA cast bullet handbook.

If you get it pre mixed the temps required to ally drop considerably.

justindad
04-25-2022, 10:41 AM
I read somewhere about burning sawdust on top of the antimony to get it to alloy with the lead - I think the reason is that the combusting wood creates the high temperatures needed to melt the antimony without overcooking the lead. This implies slowly adding antimony that is in small pieces (dust?).
Wear a respirator when dealing with antimony.
I remember something about stirring the antimony in with the lead as it cools down. Heat up your lead to liquid state, put antimony dust on top, burn saw dust on top (don’t remove the slag yet), turn off the pot, stir the antimony dust into the lead as it becomes slushy, keep stirring until it is about solid. Reheat to liquid state, burn more sawdust on top, and then remove the slag.
Not sure how repeatable it will be to alloy in antimony (how much gets removed with the slag?). You will want to have your alloy composition measured. Might be more consistent & repeatable to use the 70:30 Pb:Sb alloy from rotometals.
If you are really curious about making your own alloy for rifle - look at the copper stickies in the alloy sub forum.

Ickisrulz
04-25-2022, 11:15 AM
That makes no sense. You can get 94-3-3 cheaper and easier.

Buy 60 lbs of Lyman #2 from Rotometals - twelve 5 lb ingots
Buy 40 lbs of Pure from Rotometals - eight 5 lb ingoyd.

I just put those quantities in their "shopping cart" and cost came $365 delivered. $3.65/lb vs your cost of $6.70/lb by mixing stuff together. Rotometals ships to your door. No need for two days work.

Should not take more than a couple of hours to make a 100 lb batch.

But the OP is not interested in what alloy to use or the cost. He wants to make his own so maybe spending $6.70/lb is the way to go...LOL

BTW, I am not pushing Rotometals and in fact have never bought from them. I buy foundry alloy in bulk and can beat their prices, but they offer a good service for small batch users.

Missouri Bullet Works is a much better place to buy known/good casting alloy. Their "Magic Alloy" is 92% lead, 2% tin and 6% antimony. It is currently $2.48/pound plus shipping in a flat rate box.

bangerjim
04-25-2022, 12:51 PM
What exactly makes it so difficult?

Hear me now and believe me later.

Check the temp of Sb melting!!!!!!! Very difficult for a home-brew guy like you and I to do. Just do what everybody else on here is telling you and buy the hard stuff from Roto and then alloy the Sn and Sb into it to get what you want at normal casting pot temps.

And it is VERY TOXIC to work with in it's pure state.

Good luck. I hope you find something that satisfies your rather unusual request.

banger:guntootsmiley:

popper
04-25-2022, 01:26 PM
Antimonial lead (3-4%) and superhard (12%) from Roto. Add tin if you must. Pure or whatever stuff you can find. Add a tad (0.2-0.5% Cu using root killer). Isotope medical lead is good too. Use the alloy calculator to blend whatever you want. I've shot 2% Sb from 30/30 and 4% with Cu from 308W with great results at jacketed fps.

TurnipEaterDown
04-25-2022, 03:06 PM
BangerJim and 30calflash are entirely right. Antimony melts much higher than lead, is very hard to get from pure form into alloy w/ lead w/ home caster tools (if not impossible) and has toxic / hazardous materials properties.
Foundries alloy materials with equipment hobbyists do not have.

There is pride in doing something yourself, sure. But some things are best left to others.

Get the Antimony already in alloy at high enough concentration that can be used as an additive to bring your alloy up.
Years ago I got some Animony-Tin alloy bars from a seller in Arizona (I think, and I don't remember the business name). They were 60% Antimony and 40% Tin I think. Still have some. Drop in lead, melt right in. That's what works easy w/o creating problems for yourself.

Old skit: Don't go ahead and order the Time-Life guide to Home Surgery before getting the series guide to Stopping the Bleeding...

405grain
04-25-2022, 04:27 PM
Wolfdog91: I think you'll find exactly what you're looking for here: http://www.lasc.us/SuperHard.htm
I use alloy #8. I take a 5 pound ingot of superhard and use a chisel & hammer to cut it into 2 each 2.5 pound bricks. You can get tin from rotometals, or scrounge up some lead-free solder (which is mostly tin). I've used both and they work good. I do alter the formula slightly by replacing one pound of pure lead with a pound of size BB shot to add a trace of arsenic to the alloy. The #8 alloy is very good as it can cast BHN 13 air cooled boolits, or 22 - 24 BHN water dropped boolits. I cut the alloy 50/50 with lead and it makes a great pistol bullet alloy.

There is a ton of casting related information on the lasc website. You should check it out because you'll learn a lot about the how's and why's of cast bullets.

bangerjim
04-25-2022, 05:14 PM
BangerJim and 30calflash are entirely right. Antimony melts much higher than lead, is very hard to get from pure form into alloy w/ lead w/ home caster tools (if not impossible) and has toxic / hazardous materials properties.
Foundries alloy materials with equipment hobbyists do not have.

There is pride in doing something yourself, sure. But some things are best left to others.

Get the Antimony already in alloy at high enough concentration that can be used as an additive to bring your alloy up.
Years ago I got some Animony-Tin alloy bars from a seller in Arizona (I think, and I don't remember the business name). They were 60% Antimony and 40% Tin I think. Still have some. Drop in lead, melt right in. That's what works easy w/o creating problems for yourself.

Old skit: Don't go ahead and order the Time-Life guide to Home Surgery before getting the series guide to Stopping the Bleeding...

That was The Antimony Man....a real nice guy. Lived south of me. He claimed he has some magic way of letting hobbyists like us alloy Sb with Sn and Pb safely. Never tired it , although I have about 8# of the stuff safely sealed & stored away for some future usage.

He has since departed this mortal coil.

bangerjim

Willie T
04-25-2022, 08:55 PM
Wolfdog, I admire your DIY attitude. Most casters share that. You need a thermometer to alloy your antimony. Build a small box out of hardware cloth to enclose your antimony in with a metal handle about 10-12 inches long. Do the math and weigh out the percent of antimony and tin for your desired alloy quantity. Heat your pure lead to a stable temp somewhere in the 625-650 Fahrenheit range. Pure lead melts at 621.5 F, so not far above melt point. Add your tin. After it melts, flux it two or three times. You want to see nice clean shiny silver lead. Submerge your antimony that is encapsulated in the hardware cloth box in the molten lead. The handle needs to be substantial enough that you have enough weight above the molten lead to keep the antimony submerged. Resist the temptation to turn the temp up. You are not trying to melt the antimony. Go have a few beers and leave the antimony submerged for 20-30 minutes. Flux once and then remove your hardware cloth box from the molten lead. The antimony will have dissolved and the hardware cloth will be empty. Flux well two more times. Temp should still be between 625-650. The hotter your lead, the more oxidation you will have to deal with. Your lead, tin, and antimony is alloyed now. The melting point of antimony is 1167 F. It is dissolved into the alloy rather than melted.

On a side note. Cleaning up your own lead and pouring into ingots rather than buying ingots will give you satisfaction and confidence in your casting material. Melting one contaminated ingot into my alloy is all it took me to decide to clean all my own casting materials and put it into ingots of known good casting material myself. Your alloy does not need to have the same precise hardness every batch. It needs to be within a specific range of what works best for what you are doing. The better the job of alloying you do the more consistent your casting can potentially be, depending on how you manage the rest of the details.
Good luck working it out.
Willie

Bigslug
04-26-2022, 09:08 AM
Wolf,

I guess that aside from the fun of it, the thing to do is look at all the ingredients you have to work with and consider what cannot be self-generated in this hobby. Powder, primers and .22 rimfire ammo are going to be "the wall" for most of us, but in the final equation, we're not digging rocks out of a 500-foot deep hole and burning them up to generate metal either. Nobody's truly self-sufficient or off the grid here.

In Elmer Keith's earlier workings a hundred plus years ago, he was dealing with simple binary lead and tin mixes, which was easy enough to acquire separately and work with. Antimonial bullet alloys have ALWAYS been a scrounger's affair - either in the form of the various linotype printer's leads or wheelweights - and the hobby has always been about being able to manipulate what's "laying on the ground" to suit our needs. Type-set printing is well in the past and lead-based wheelweights are following it, so the questions (probably) to be asking are (1.) "What CAN I easily/cheaply/locally acquire?" and (2.) "What else do I need to work it to my purpose?"

If you look at what most guys here are scrounging, it's either nearly pure lead in the form of plumbing stuff, old building materials, or X-ray shielding; low-antimony content metal like jacketed bullets scrounged off a range berm; and sometimes a little higher antimony content in the form of shot from a trap range (but that's a really variable content). Generally though, most of it is pretty soft, and tin is getting fairly scarce.

So, if you're using any of those scrounged sources, you mostly need a high antimony content base like Rotometals Superhard for firming up that soft stuff and tin for fine tuning. If you're not scrounging, then the gentler manipulations of the pre-mixed alloys I suggested in my last post are probably more your speed.

Get a good hardness tester, and have fun.

Forrest r
04-26-2022, 09:37 AM
willie t nailed it!!!

Glad to see you want to try different things and experiment/learn things 1st hand.

Just be careful and make your alloy in a well ventilated area like the great outdoors. Putting something like the clay based kitty litter on top of your pot/melt while you make it. Doing this will keep the oxidation/dross down to minimum.

good luck

Larry Gibson
04-26-2022, 01:01 PM

You are correct. To get an alloy of known quality you must know what the metals you have to make it with actually are.

bangerjim
04-26-2022, 01:51 PM
Wolfdog, I admire your DIY attitude. Most casters share that. You need a thermometer to alloy your antimony. Build a small box out of hardware cloth to enclose your antimony in with a metal handle about 10-12 inches long. Do the math and weigh out the percent of antimony and tin for your desired alloy quantity. Heat your pure lead to a stable temp somewhere in the 625-650 Fahrenheit range. Pure lead melts at 621.5 F, so not far above melt point. Add your tin. After it melts, flux it two or three times. You want to see nice clean shiny silver lead. Submerge your antimony that is encapsulated in the hardware cloth box in the molten lead. The handle needs to be substantial enough that you have enough weight above the molten lead to keep the antimony submerged. Resist the temptation to turn the temp up. You are not trying to melt the antimony. Go have a few beers and leave the antimony submerged for 20-30 minutes. Flux once and then remove your hardware cloth box from the molten lead. The antimony will have dissolved and the hardware cloth will be empty. Flux well two more times. Temp should still be between 625-650. The hotter your lead, the more oxidation you will have to deal with. Your lead, tin, and antimony is alloyed now. The melting point of antimony is 1167 F. It is dissolved into the alloy rather than melted.

On a side note. Cleaning up your own lead and pouring into ingots rather than buying ingots will give you satisfaction and confidence in your casting material. Melting one contaminated ingot into my alloy is all it took me to decide to clean all my own casting materials and put it into ingots of known good casting material myself. Your alloy does not need to have the same precise hardness every batch. It needs to be within a specific range of what works best for what you are doing. The better the job of alloying you do the more consistent your casting can potentially be, depending on how you manage the rest of the details.
Good luck working it out.
Willie

Whole lotta work...........................for something that is readily available commercially.

Could I personally do it with the stash of Sb I have? Yes. Would I do it? HECK NO. Not when all the materials with a known % of Sb already ACCURATELY industrially alloyed in and there for my easy melting, measuring, and use.

Good luck in your choices.

Just PC everything and mostly forget about hardness, like many of us are now doing.

banger

Willie T
04-26-2022, 02:26 PM
Whole lotta work...........................for something that is readily available commercially.

Could I personally do it with the stash of Sb I have? Yes. Would I do it? HECK NO. Not when all the materials with a known % of Sb already ACCURATELY industrially alloyed in and there for my easy melting, measuring, and use.

Good luck in your choices.

Just PC everything and mostly forget about hardness, like many of us are now doing.

banger

Banger,
I started this stuff before the internet and before forums. I learned by reading books, doing, and making adjustments till I learned to get what I wanted. There is value to that and I learned a lot that way. OP wants to learn and that is what I replied to. Whether alloying soft lead with tin and antimony or hardball, the volume of work and outcome is similar. I did not weigh in on whether or not to hit the easy button. That is not my monkeys, and not my circus. The one other caster I know as well as me scrounge for lead and alloy what we find into what we need.

I’m happy to have stumbled onto this forum and hope I can fit in.
Willie

bangerjim
04-26-2022, 03:31 PM
Banger,

I’m happy to have stumbled onto this forum and hope I can fit in.
Willie

If you like lively discussions, differing viewpoints on what works and doesn't, new and old techniques, and a bunch of "good ole' guys and gals, you will fit in just nicely! It's not Twitter (thank God!) and as long as you stay within the WIDE lanes established by the mods, you will be just fine.

Welcome to the madness!

reddog81
04-26-2022, 04:00 PM
O I could honestly care less about cost saving and all that. I simply just wanna do it . I get bored really easy and just buy stuff dosent really appeal to me honestly. Seems more and more of an odd thought process now days but I wanna be able to say I made my own alloy from scratch and mean it. And the more people talk about it being hard just makes me wanna try it more
Same reason I started casting for a .223 instead of something else. Everyone kept saying how hard it would be and all I heard was " hayyyy ! That seems like it would be fun for a few months"

It doesn't really count unless you're out digging the various ores out of the ground

I'm glad I started 10 years ago when it was at least still possible to find some buckets of wheel weights that were half lead and had a nice mix of antimony and tin built in.

kevin c
04-26-2022, 04:49 PM
I make trinary casting alloy (95-3-2, accurate to 0.1%) from antimonial lead (radioisotope containers) and tin (pewter), both processed into storage lots and XRF’d for exact content. The source for both is scrap, and much cheaper than buying certified pure from a foundry. The pewter has copper in it, but a couple percent of a couple percent in the final alloy is four parts per ten thousand and not significant for our purposes. Simple algebra gets me the ratios to mix, including any extra pure lead or antimony.

SuperHard for extra antimony is the most expensive component of my alloy by weight, but, needing very little, the final cost per pound is small. The extra step of mixing my own didn’t seem worthwhile.

Discounting my labor, my casting alloy cost, (raw materials, propane and the cost of equipment [molds, burners, pots, ladles, PPE, etc.]) is well under a dollar a pound. YMMV, but I get considerable satisfaction from the fact that at that price you can’t even buy pure foundry lead.

Echo
04-26-2022, 06:30 PM
I have a patio full of stuff, and I make several alloys, but they are all copies of the old standby WW+2%Sn. Alloy 'Z' is 2/1 Lead/Lino +1% Sn. Alloy 'M' is 3/1 Lead/Monotype. Alloy 'F' is 4/1 Lead/Foundry type. All about 2+% Sn, 4+% Sb, remainder Pb. All about 14-15 BHN

quilbilly
04-26-2022, 07:24 PM
I do mix my own alloys and get a lot of satisfaction from it when they produce accurate, properly expanding boolits. Having been manufacturing fishing jigs for both saltwater and freshwater from scrap lead for 40 years, I have an advantage of spotting the best lead by eye. I regularly walk up to huge bins with thousands of pounds of scrap then just walk away when I don't see what I want. I look real hard at roofing lead in large sheets or especially sheets of lead from the walls of Xray rooms. Both are usually pretty pure (99% and up). Linotype is harder to spot when it is in unmarked bars but you can with practice. Only a couple weeks ago I picked up 30# of pure (but a little dirty) roofing lead and 5# of unmarked Lino for one dollar a pound. Of that 20# of pure went to jigs and the rest saved for fine boolits.

KYCaster
04-26-2022, 08:35 PM
Welllllll....this discussion is kinda goin off the rails.
The OP didn't ask for the easiest way to make his alloy. He didn't ask for the cheapest way to make his alloy. He didn't ask for the most convenient way to make his alloy. He asked for A way to make his alloy.
So far, most of the negative replies have come from people who have never tried to make an alloy from pure metals and are just repeating negative comments they've heard from others. Even those who have the experience, the knowledge, the material and the means to do this are trying to discourage him because it can be done "easier" or "cheaper". I have to disagree.

A few facts that may surprise you and you may not agree with....

100 lbs. of bullet casting alloy (92-6-2) from RotoMetals is $18.62 per lb. (shipped to central KY)
Pure Pb, pure Sn and Super Hard from RotoMetals to make 100 lbs. of 94-3-3 is about the same price.
All that pure Pb you scrounge is not pure. Most of it is 2 to 5% Sb.
A local wheel weight manufacturer uses scrap WW and doesn't separate the Pb from Zn, so all his product contains ever increasing amounts of Zn.
Nuclear medicine containers are not all created equal. I've had them from 5 BHN pure lead to 22 BHN. And the lids are not always the same.

Bottom line is, if you want to start with pure metals, you don't have many options and the only way to reduce the price per pound is to buy in larger quantities.

I'm sure many of you disagree with me, but I will be grateful if you can tell me where to get certified pure metals cheaper than the sources I posted earlier.

Jerry

dverna
04-26-2022, 10:26 PM
Welllllll....this discussion is kinda goin off the rails.
The OP didn't ask for the easiest way to make his alloy. He didn't ask for the cheapest way to make his alloy. He didn't ask for the most convenient way to make his alloy. He asked for A way to make his alloy.
So far, most of the negative replies have come from people who have never tried to make an alloy from pure metals and are just repeating negative comments they've heard from others. Even those who have the experience, the knowledge, the material and the means to do this are trying to discourage him because it can be done "easier" or "cheaper". I have to disagree.

A few facts that may surprise you and you may not agree with....

100 lbs. of bullet casting alloy (92-6-2) from RotoMetals is $18.62 per lb. (shipped to central KY)
Pure Pb, pure Sn and Super Hard from RotoMetals to make 100 lbs. of 94-3-3 is about the same price.
All that pure Pb you scrounge is not pure. Most of it is 2 to 5% Sb.
A local wheel weight manufacturer uses scrap WW and doesn't separate the Pb from Zn, so all his product contains ever increasing amounts of Zn.
Nuclear medicine containers are not all created equal. I've had them from 5 BHN pure lead to 22 BHN. And the lids are not always the same.

Bottom line is, if you want to start with pure metals, you don't have many options and the only way to reduce the price per pound is to buy in larger quantities.

I'm sure many of you disagree with me, but I will be grateful if you can tell me where to get certified pure metals cheaper than the sources I posted earlier.

Jerry

100 lbs of 92-4-2 from Rotometals is $368.40 shipped to Northern Michigan. And there are other suppliers less than that.

Rotometals must not like doing business in Kentucky...lol.

If you enjoy making alloys....good for you and have at it. But be factual about the costs.

Think about it....you can buy 1000 commercial 158 gr bullets made from 92-4-2 for about $100 delivered. That is about 22 lbs of bullets....so less than $5/lb. How can alloy cost over $18/lb?

charlie b
04-26-2022, 10:40 PM
I buy my alloy from Rotometals as well. Usually enough to qualify for free shipping (over $150). Just got 40lb of Lyman #2 a couple weeks ago for $176. That's $4.40/lb (which is up about $1 from last year).

https://www.rotometals.com/lyman-2-bullet-metal-5-pound-ingot-90-lead-5-tin-5-antimony/

If you order a lot at once then you will get into freight shipping, which can be expensive. If you want 100lb or more then break it down into three different orders that each meet the free shipping criteria.

PS your post office delivery person will get to know you well for this.

Wolfdog91
04-27-2022, 08:06 AM
Well guess I'll just some of this super hard stuff for now.... Takes alot of the fun and mad scientist out if it but I guess for now

farmbif
04-27-2022, 08:11 AM
if you do this make a video will be interested in seeing how you do it. wire cage method for antimony or whatever.

Wolfdog91
04-27-2022, 08:17 AM
if you do this make a video will be interested in seeing how you do it. wire cage method for antimony or whatever.Was planning on it lol. Need to double check my respirators filter though. I know it's supposed to more on trace lead . Not sure about the antimony though. I mean I cast and smelt out side with a fan but still