PDA

View Full Version : Need Stock Help

Beekeeper
01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
I bought a yugo 24/47 from J&G Sales.
Bore is excelent .
Gun is almost perfect in comparison to most Milsurps I have purchased.
It has a major problem tho. When I started to reassemble it I found that the stock is warped. Enough so that the front sight is almost out of it's dovetail to the right.
Checked the barrel channel and it is warped quite a bit.
Is ti possible to straighten the stock or would I be better off reaming out the barrel channel?
Want to keep the stock if possible as it is numbers matching and has the yugo cartouche on it.
Any help by a master woodsmith would be greatly appreciated.

beekeeper

hornsurgeon
01-28-2009, 10:30 PM
here's something i would try. place the stock between 2 sawhorses with the center of the bend centered between the horses and bending upwards. hang a significant amount of weight fron the center of the bend and weight for several days to a couple of weeks. perhaps this will re-warp the stock. if this doesn't work, you may need to wet or steam the stock with the weight on it, but this will damage the finish. if you want to wet the stock, wrap a bath towel around it (where the weight is hanging) and keep it nearly dripping wet for as long as it takes. this all is a trial and error. i did this with the stock for a jap type 99 my grandpa brought home from wwii. i actually warpped it too far and had to do it again from the opposite side. then i reoiled the stock finish.