PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a LEE Factory Crimp Die

buckwheatpaul
04-23-2022, 07:27 PM
I am fixing to start reloading 300 AAC Blackout and have always used RCBS or LYMAN dies and just used their seater and crimp die in 308, 45-70 etc. As of late I have wondered if the Factory Crimp Die would be of benefit to this process? Feel free to wade into the debate and thank you in advance....if it comes out yeah....then I will need to buy some more Taper Crimp Dies for 308, 9mm and 45 acp.....thanks in advance....Paul

hoodat
04-23-2022, 07:46 PM
I've been buying Lee dies for the last few years and have decided I like them. The sets I've got came with the factory crimp die. So far however I haven't needed to use it. I like the idea of it, and depending what I'm doing, might use them in the future. jd

Dieselhorses
04-23-2022, 07:49 PM
I feel more comfortable taper crimping cartridges I use in semi-auto's. Not so much in SS's and bolt guns.

Finster101
04-23-2022, 08:04 PM
Are you loading for a bolt gun or semi auto? I like them for semi's to help prevent set back. If you do not have one you can always try it without it and decide if you need it later. The Lee die set with it included is a good value though if you do not already have dies.

1hole
04-23-2022, 09:06 PM
.... I have wondered if the Factory Crimp Die would be of benefit to this process?

If you want to crimp a bottleneck cartridge there is no better crimper.

Other crimpers obviously work but all of them demand exactly equal case lengths or the dept of crimp will vary with length. Of course consistent case length is always desirable but the FCD is MUCH more tolerant of small case variations.

It does have one moving part - the sliding crimping sleeve - that has to be understood and used properly so there is a small learning curve. (Seems a lot of people never get it right so they need simpler conventional crimpers! ??)

Walks
04-23-2022, 11:21 PM
Don't care for them at all.
I use a light Taper Crimp. Has worked for Me for many years.

BNE
04-23-2022, 11:25 PM
If you want to crimp a bottleneck cartridge there is no better crimper.

Other crimpers obviously work but all of them demand exactly equal case lengths or the dept of crimp will vary with length. Of course consistent case length is always desirable but the FCD is MUCH more tolerant of small case variations.

It does have one moving part - the sliding crimping sleeve - that has to be understood and used properly so there is a small learning curve. (Seems a lot of people never get it right so they need simpler conventional crimpers! ??)

This describes the benefit of a FCD well. Taper crimping can lead to bent up cartridges if they are not all the same length. The FCD tends to crimp whatever part of the brass is there. I like it, but do not use it on all of my loads.

BNE

AntiqueSledMan
04-24-2022, 05:56 AM
Hello Paul,

My answer is probably not.
I only use the Factory Crimp Die when loading Heeled Bullets (.44 Colt, 38 Long Colt).
For my lever action rifles (30-30, 32-40 & .357), I've always had good luck with the tapered crimp.

AntiqueSledMan.

Shawlerbrook
04-24-2022, 06:36 AM
And I think the fcd is the best and easiest when loading for tube fed leverguns. I have one for all the many levergun cartridges I load for. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Half Dog
04-24-2022, 08:10 AM
The closest thing I have to a 300 BO is a 223/5.56 and I use a FCD for the final round formation/crimp. I haven’t had any issues with rounds feeding or bullet setback. However, I haven’t reloaded this round without using the FCD. I guess I just made up my mind that I needed it and stuck with what works.

kungfustyle
04-24-2022, 08:11 AM
I use the factory crimp die on my rifles and roll/taper for my pistols. My 223 rifle liked fcd'ed loads but my 308 didn't, Just the rifle? They work well on both cast and jacketed. Lee's instructions say you can use them without a cannalured bullet but I didn't get good results. They do work very well with cast in all my rifles.

Walks
04-25-2022, 11:12 PM
I bought CH Taper Crimp dies for .30-06, .308 & .223/5.56, Used them for over 40yrs in Garand, M1A. The Colt AR-15, at least 6 various other AR rifles and 3 Mini-14's.
I saw lots of Cowboy Shooters have problems with both .38-40 & .44-40 in using the fcd. I tried it in .44-40 & .38Spl, neither worked well.
Taper Crimp for Me.

megasupermagnum
04-26-2022, 02:40 AM
You are presumably belling your cases. You have to crimp that back down somehow. Just about anything works.

If I get the choice, I choose a Lee collet crimp die every single time, no matter the cartridge. They are simply the best crimper that has been created so far.

45_Colt
04-26-2022, 06:57 AM
Note that the Lee FCD has two different versions. The original for the straight wall pistol cases is nothing more then a taper or roll crimp. But with a twist, there is a carbide ring located at the die opening that can/may also resize the case. Lots of debate on these as they can also resize the bullet. Some knock the carbide ring out to prevent this.

The second version was developed for use with rifle cartridges. This uses a collet that is squeezed down around the case mouth. This removes the bell (if there is one) along with giving decent bite to the bullet. Properly adjusted it can also crimp the case into a cannelure.

This type of FCD does not have the carbide resizing ring. Just the collet crimp ring.

Lee has since (recently?) released the collet type FCD for some pistol cartridges. IIRC, the .357 SIG got the first one. Which is also a bottle neck. But it is also available for the .45 COLT, which is straight. These again, don't have the carbide resizing ring.

45_Colt

414gates
04-26-2022, 07:20 AM
You can't go wrong with a Lee FCD.

They work as advertised.

A roll crimp is suited for heavy bullets in heavy recoil calibers that are not single shot.

For all semi-auto calibers, the FCD works very well, you get the added bonus of a final dimension check in the die which ensures the round will chamber.

04-26-2022, 08:30 AM
I like the LFCD, as well. The action of the collet puts no pressure on the shoulder and the cases stay as sized. You can adjust the amount of crimp from very light to very heavy. (light seems to work best for me). Also, the Lee taper crimps work Mellon the cases that need a taper. For the money, it's hard to beat.

farmbif
04-26-2022, 08:43 AM
they are handy for a lot of applications but reading stuff in different places I get the feeling some use them like a crutch because they never really took the time to learn how to adjust seat/crimp dies properly.
they are especially handy when trying out different bullets that might not have cannelure or crimp groove in the right place for the particular caliber you are loading.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-26-2022, 11:20 AM
I use them on all cartridges that they make them for, and for which I reload. I even had a special one made by Lee (very reasonable cost) for .43 Spanish. Very satisfied with the LFCD.

DG

buckwheatpaul
04-26-2022, 06:35 PM
Are you loading for a bolt gun or semi auto? I like them for semi's to help prevent set back. If you do not have one you can always try it without it and decide if you need it later. The Lee die set with it included is a good value though if you do not already have dies.

I have both types....bolt and semi....but I am also thinking about my 35 Rem as it is a tube fed and my 9mm and 45 ACP....

45_Colt
04-26-2022, 09:46 PM
I have both types....bolt and semi....but I am also thinking about my 35 Rem as it is a tube fed and my 9mm and 45 ACP....

But don't forget that there are two different crimp die styles. Look into this before purchasing. Otherwise you may not be purchasing what you think you are.

45_Colt

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-26-2022, 09:59 PM
I am a big fan of the collect style Lee FCD for rifle and revolver cartridges...although I have since quit using them with my single shot rifle cartridges, I don't use any crimp at all for those.

AntiqueSledMan
04-27-2022, 06:20 AM
Note that the Lee FCD has two different versions. The original for the straight wall pistol cases is nothing more then a taper or roll crimp. But with a twist, there is a carbide ring located at the die opening that can/may also resize the case. Lots of debate on these as they can also resize the bullet. Some knock the carbide ring out to prevent this.

The second version was developed for use with rifle cartridges. This uses a collet that is squeezed down around the case mouth. This removes the bell (if there is one) along with giving decent bite to the bullet. Properly adjusted it can also crimp the case into a cannelure.

This type of FCD does not have the carbide resizing ring. Just the collet crimp ring.

Lee has since (recently?) released the collet type FCD for some pistol cartridges. IIRC, the .357 SIG got the first one. Which is also a bottle neck. But it is also available for the .45 COLT, which is straight. These again, don't have the carbide resizing ring.

45_Colt

Your confusing the LEE Factory Crimp Die with the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die.
Two completely different dies with very similar names.

AntiqueSledMan.

04-27-2022, 09:15 AM
If you are belling your case mouth's and loading cast bullets, the Lee Factory Crimp die for rifles is very handy for tamping the belled case mouth back down, flat against the bullet. I like to use it just enough to ensure smooth feeding into the chamber. Neck tension should hold the bullet in place during recoil, but a little crimp down into the bullet’s crimp groove is good insurance against bullet setback.

I just bought one to add to my LEE 35Remington die set. The Lee Seating die has no built in crimp.

jmorris
04-27-2022, 09:23 AM
There are way too many people that reload without them, to say they are necessary or one needs them.

I don’t crimp 300 blk or 308 at all, for example.

I do use them for a number of rounds though, mostly pistol but 45-70 being one rifle round you also load as well as 9mm and 45 ACP but if they didn’t exist, that wouldn’t be the end of the world.

45_Colt
04-27-2022, 11:34 AM
Your confusing the LEE Factory Crimp Die with the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die.
Two completely different dies with very similar names.

AntiqueSledMan.

Not confused at all. They are both called a 'factory crimp die', are they not?

Read the various posts in this thread and my post will make sense.

45_Colt

P.S. and it is "You're"

buckwheatpaul
04-27-2022, 05:19 PM
Guys, Thank each of you for your input. I bit the boolit and ordered 3....one for 300, carbide for 9mm and carbide for 45 acp. If it turns out I dont need them then I am not out that much....but alas....a heart felt thank you for you guidance and suggestions. Paul

AntiqueSledMan
04-28-2022, 05:58 AM
"P.S. and it is "You're"

Hello 45_Colt,

Thanks for the spelling correction, guess it got past my auto spell.

The LEE Factory Crimp Die crimps the already seated bullet with a collet, which is pressed into the Die by the Shell Holder.

The LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die has a Taper Crimp in the Die which Seats and Crimps the Bullet,
and a Carbide Ring in the Base which re-sizes the Case (and possibly the bullet) as it exits the Die.
Not the same at all.

AntiqueSledMan.

45_Colt
04-28-2022, 10:21 AM
"P.S. and it is "You're"

Hello 45_Colt,

Thanks for the spelling correction, guess it got past my auto spell.

Naw, that was a grammar error, not a spelling error.

The LEE Factory Crimp Die crimps the already seated bullet with a collet, which is pressed into the Die by the Shell Holder.

The LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die has a Taper Crimp in the Die which Seats and Crimps the Bullet,
and a Carbide Ring in the Base which re-sizes the Case (and possibly the bullet) as it exits the Die.
Not the same at all.

AntiqueSledMan.

None of the Lee FCDs are capable of seating a boolit. Not even the carbide versions. They are a crimp only die with the carbide versions also have a full length maximum dimension case sizer.

As far as applying a taper crimp, that is only done with cartridges for auto-loaders. Such as the .380 & .45 ACP.

Revolver cartridges such as the .45 Colt get a roll crimp die.

Then to further confuse the uninitiated, a collet style crimp die can be had for some pistol cartridges, such as the .357 SIG and .45 Colt. Yes, can get either style crimp die for the .45 Colt. And as with the rifle style crimp dies, there is no carbide sizing ring is these.

45_Colt

45_Colt
04-28-2022, 10:34 AM
Guys, Thank each of you for your input. I bit the boolit and ordered 3....one for 300, carbide for 9mm and carbide for 45 acp. If it turns out I dont need them then I am not out that much....but alas....a heart felt thank you for you guidance and suggestions. Paul

You're welcome. If you load cast boolits in either the 9 or the 45, you will like using these dies. I went to the separate crimping die when loading cast into the .45 ACP. Prior, when seating and removing the bell (crimping), it was common to get a small sliver of lead shaved from the boolit.

Fired enough times the case lengths shorten and then start to vary from case to case. This is no longer an issue with the FCD. Barrel leading was greatly reduced and accuracy improved.

45_Colt

1hole
05-03-2022, 11:35 AM
... I get the feeling some use them like a crutch because they never really took the time to learn how to adjust seat/crimp dies properly.

Nope.

With normal dies both roll and taper crimps will vary with case lengths and case lengths can't be adjusted out. Lee's collet crimpers adjusted correctly are largely insensitive to case length.

gunrunner5.56
05-08-2022, 07:46 AM
all my reloading friends tend to like the FCD!