PDA

View Full Version : Making a camp

COUSIN DANIEL
04-21-2022, 09:38 PM
So a project of mine I would like to start work on is a camp site for the event of inclement weather.
I live in western Kentucky and my home was spared in December 2021 when the tornado hit 10 miles away. It made me think what I would do if that night I lost my entire estate.

I have a "extra home place" due to the death of a family member last year and I am looking to the house and out buildings as a base start.

I have electricity, county water, a septic system, and a drilled well that I know nothing about.

What is everyone's thoughts on stocking the extra house for winter weather and other bad weather events?

Extra home is 20 miles from my back door

Green Frog
04-21-2022, 10:22 PM
Interesting mental problem. To have a second, unoccupied house on "standby" would be thought of by many as a luxury, but if you have the house already, it might be worth making it a planned bug out destination.

If there is a natural disaster and your home loses power and is damaged, is the second place far enough away that it is unlikely to be affected by the same factors? Going from one place with no power to stay in another place without power is still a net sum loss. Travel is a consideration you need to plan for. If you outfit house #2 with emergency power, wouldn't it be more economical to do the same with your primary dwelling?

Will it be convenient for you to A) get to house #2 in a stressed situation and B) at least "stop by" regularly to insure that all is well with this unused home (subject to break-ins, vandalism, weather damage of it own, etc, etc)? Also, how about routine upkeep such as mowing the lawn, cleaning the gutters, trimming the shrubs? Finally, you will have an electric bill, heating (gas, oil, etc) and all the other annoying details of home ownership... not to mention Real Estate Tax.

I'm dealing with a second house of my own, and my plan is to get it in shape to sell and get rid of it. I'd rather strengthen my situation in my primary residence than have the responsibility of taking care of two. If I get a second place to keep, it will be a beach house or a mountain cabin, that is pretty much off the grid to the point where it can be shut up and ignored for long periods. These are my thoughts on the matter, YMMV.

Froggie

HWooldridge
04-21-2022, 10:37 PM
You don’t mention how far away the second place is situated. A tornado can obviously be a very devastating event but you are more likely to be affected by floods or winter ice storms, so a house 20 miles away might well be in the same weather situation.

If the second property isn’t in a recreational or vacation location that is appealing to you for everyday life, I’d probably sell it and put my energies into your primary home.

imashooter2
04-21-2022, 10:54 PM
Carrying a house has significant costs. I wouldn’t keep one for "back up."

I’d sell and put the money into a place I would use some portion of the year. Even if only the occasional vacation.

Bazoo
04-21-2022, 11:04 PM
Howdy neighbor. What you might consider is renting the other house. If a tornado takes your house, you can always make the tenants move, though not without a reasonable time for them to find other residence.

If it was a close friend or family that rented it, you could maybe bunk with them in instance of natural disaster.

Having a place to go during power outage is very temporary. So a weeks stay at a friend is not much to ask.

dverna
04-21-2022, 11:49 PM
You call it a camp site so I will assume it is remote. But what is remote to you is in the backyard of the locals.

To be an effective BOL, it needs to be stocked with stuff. It will be a attractive target for those who live nearby.

COUSIN DANIEL
04-22-2022, 12:11 AM
I travel the road the house is located on a daily basis for work both mornings and evenings and I am certain to maintain a presence like plant gardens and cut grass as well as shooting trap on on monthly basis.

I am in the sentimental stage of grief I think and I hate to think about selling the house. I have left it the way my grandfather had it the day he died at 90 as a time capsule of before.... I am afraid to rent due to horror stories I have heard, mainly I just want the place left alone by people but METH and Oppiods are not cheap and they need Cooper wire and tubing. It's a up hill battle living in "God's Bible belt".

I am not a prepper, I just have a extra home that could be useful. With everything inflated at the moment I don't think 100,000 dollars from selling the extra home would help me. I am debt free and I own my home. In 2019 I paid 52500 for my home and it took everything I had to get it, a realtor reached out to me and indicated this home could be sold for 150,000... I am bright eye but where in the world would I even move with that money.

My idea was a home that burned coal/wood, had a few 55 gallon drums of water, 250 gallon propane tank which is existing, canned food, and the deep freeze of my garden vegetables, and a Honda generator and 30 gallons of gas.

This concept is flawed and I want you all to tear it to shreds of possible so I can make it better or abandon it.

COUSIN DANIEL
04-22-2022, 12:18 AM
You call it a camp site so I will assume it is remote. But what is remote to you is in the backyard of the locals.

To be an effective BOL, it needs to be stocked with stuff. It will be a attractive target for those who live nearby.

The house is 20 miles from me, I get the locals backyard thing as thus home was broken into while my grandfather was sick.

After his death I hired a demo company to strip the property of all heavy equipment parts, scrap metal piles, trucks cars, trees, brush anywhere a person could hid and load a truck.

From the road all you see is a house , a 40x40 building, and a really tore up yard and acrage.

ulav8r
04-22-2022, 12:57 AM
Sounds like the house is 20 miles closer to where you work than your current home. Consider selling current and move to your Grandfather's home. Maybe it is on 10 acres and you are on 100, making it a non-desirable move. $150,000 from the sale of your place could fund lots of improvements and updates.

One place is more than enough for most people to take care of.

Bmi48219
04-22-2022, 02:30 AM
One place is more than enough for most people to take care of.

Amen to that, sometimes taking care of one place is too much.

JimB..
04-22-2022, 05:57 AM
It took us a couple decades to let my grandparents place go. Doesn’t sound like you need to hurry, so don’t. I’d probably install a diy alarm system with video so you know if things are going on up there. Keep the place fully stocked with mouse traps and treat it for termites.

square butte
04-22-2022, 07:44 AM
Pray on it and ask the Good Lord for guidance and discernment - It'll come clear to you. You are probably already doing that. Sometimes it takes time and talking to other good folks like the ones that are found here. I believe you are blessed with the extra property and memories of your Grandfather

rancher1913
04-22-2022, 08:43 AM
unless you had neighbours to watch the "other" house, it will be broken into and ransacked by druggies.

04-22-2022, 10:12 AM
Nobody can make this decision for you. The points noted above are all good considerations. Having too much, especially with today's volatile social factors, is trouble waiting to happen. I understand the sentimental attachments and they should not be dismissed. You seem to be sitting in the driver's seat as far as resources go. Changing your permanent residence to the grandfather's place might be an option with the sale of your current house. As for having a bug out location, I'd probably opt for a base structure with an outhouse & minimal sustenance items. Wouldn't store anything you couldn't afford to loose. Thieves & druggies are blight on this country.

dverna
04-22-2022, 01:54 PM
After doing more thinking and now knowing the place is only 20 miles from your current home I would probably fix up the old place and sell your current house. A lot depends on how much work it needs.

You do not need a "camp" when your home is your BOL. My home is my BOL. It has worked out well for me.

uscra112
04-22-2022, 04:59 PM
After doing more thinking and now knowing the place is only 20 miles from your current home I would probably fix up the old place and sell your current house. A lot depends on how much work it needs.

You do not need a "camp" when your home is your BOL. My home is my BOL. It has worked out well for me.

Double dittos!

yovinny
04-23-2022, 07:46 AM
Not sure exactly where you are,,but I'd think about selling..Its a sellers market.
There is a serious shortage of available propertys in western KY,, and a bunch of demand because of tornado losses.. And people with cash...
My place outside Nortonville just went to contract, for well over asking price and at a level I would have never even imagined just a year ago..

JSnover
04-23-2022, 07:51 AM
An extra house is a money pit and a stress generator in my opinion. A camp or vacation property needs to be more than 20 miles away (again, in my opinion) or it just doesn't feel like I've gotten away from anything.
If the extra house has or could have all the features you need, I agree with the guys who said sell yours and move into the other. You can honor your grandfather's wishes/memories and sleep soundly at night, having kept it in the family.

waksupi
05-09-2022, 11:44 AM
For an emergency type place, I would recommend propane lights, refrigerator, freezer, cook stove, and heater.

GregLaROCHE
05-09-2022, 02:17 PM
When I lived remote in Alaska I always had at least one other building where I could find shelter if my principal cabin caught fire in the middle of winter.

Charlie Horse
05-29-2022, 09:42 PM
unless you had neighbours to watch the "other" house, it will be broken into and ransacked by druggies.

I had an extra house for about a year. I was about an hour's drive. Good hunting and fishing but having two houses drove me crazy. It made me mean. People had begun driving their 4 wheelers through the yard.

I still think about getting a "camp". The perfect situation would be a lot on the edge of some public land, with electricity. I would put up a garden shed to store some chairs and shovels, etc.

murf205
05-29-2022, 10:10 PM
If it is going to be a camp or emergency shelter, you don't have to break the bank. I bought a 24' camper in great shape cheap because it didn;t have an ac unit. Built a roof over it and added a delivered barn/storage building and made a bedroom/bathroom with heat and air for a very reasonable price. It may not make the Better Homes And Gardens magazine but it is pretty comfortable. Bed frames were made from 2x4's and paneling. The 10gal 120 volt water heater and propane heater made it a great hunting season spot. A window AC unit for summer work days. Got to have a covered porch.300769300770

10x
08-01-2022, 07:28 AM
I travel the road the house is located on a daily basis for work both mornings and evenings and I am certain to maintain a presence like plant gardens and cut grass as well as shooting trap on on monthly basis.

I am in the sentimental stage of grief I think and I hate to think about selling the house. I have left it the way my grandfather had it the day he died at 90 as a time capsule of before.... I am afraid to rent due to horror stories I have heard, mainly I just want the place left alone by people but METH and Oppiods are not cheap and they need Cooper wire and tubing. It's a up hill battle living in "God's Bible belt".

I am not a prepper, I just have a extra home that could be useful. With everything inflated at the moment I don't think 100,000 dollars from selling the extra home would help me. I am debt free and I own my home. In 2019 I paid 52500 for my home and it took everything I had to get it, a realtor reached out to me and indicated this home could be sold for 150,000... I am bright eye but where in the world would I even move with that money.

My idea was a home that burned coal/wood, had a few 55 gallon drums of water, 250 gallon propane tank which is existing, canned food, and the deep freeze of my garden vegetables, and a Honda generator and 30 gallons of gas.

This concept is flawed and I want you all to tear it to shreds of possible so I can make it better or abandon it.

Real estate maintains it's value. Sell it and the money you get devalues at about 8% a year or faster.
No one has ever been able to take the money they gained from selling real estate and been able to buy the property back without adding additional money. Usually significant additional money.
A good tenant will give you income plus cash for maintenance. A poor tenant will destroy the place.
After expenses the income from rent is usually significantly more than the income from any cash investment of equal value