PDA

View Full Version : CCI 22 CB's

hoodat
04-20-2022, 03:48 PM
I finally scored a bunch of these a few weeks ago, after a long dry spell. I'd been using the "short" length, but MidWay had the longs which are identical except for the length. I haven't put them on paper yet, but they may even be more accurate.

I'm at constant war with the starlings around my place, and these things are just the medicine. My killing zone is from ten to thirty yards, and I rarely miss. I'm starting to think that I'm a good shot. Standard shot is a high angle tree top, swaying in the breeze. I often use a Stevens Crack-Shot, or Rem #6 boys rifle. If I'm really serious, I grab the Rem 511 with scope. If the bird comes down with some fight in it, I send the wire-hair dog out to gitter.

I've got to sit down and try some groups with these little rounds, they seem to be shooting WAAAYY good. jd

stubshaft
04-20-2022, 04:17 PM
Good buy! I haven't seen any around here for years.

barkerwc4362
04-20-2022, 04:18 PM
Love them for a quiet solution to a problem. They are even quieter than my 22 pellet rifle when fired out of a rifle. Just have to make sure of whats behind the target.
Bill

farmbif
04-20-2022, 06:07 PM
those seem very similar to the cci quiet22. 40 grains 710fps. which ive found to be very accurate. most every week I get some practice in with some 22's. 75 yards at 3" steel pole
and quite often it is with the cci's with a 39a that I set the sights with this quiet ammo.
hopefully in a year or so the prices and availably will come back down to earth.

hoodat
04-20-2022, 06:30 PM
those seem very similar to the cci quiet22. 40 grains 710fps. which ive found to be very accurate. most every week I get some practice in with some 22's. 75 yards at 3" steel pole
and quite often it is with the cci's with a 39a that I set the sights with this quiet ammo.
hopefully in a year or so the prices and availably will come back down to earth.

These CB's are a 29 gr bullet at 710 fps. I'ma have to do some serious testing for accuracy and range with them. I don't expect much beyond thirty yards, but I really can't say yet. They are for danged sure minute of starling at twenty.

Texas by God
04-20-2022, 09:44 PM
Hoodat, they are accurate enough to hit a bottle cap at 50 feet and mild enough to trap the bullet inside the bottle. I used to find them or Aguila Colibris at Academy but that's a "used to"- so I'll order some! Fun, fun!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220421/6c32a7f0938c126ad446cb28c5c6e00c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

45DUDE
04-20-2022, 11:54 PM
I like the dog.

hoodat
04-21-2022, 12:10 AM
I like the dog.

That dog is Millie, and she can catch a dead starling before it hits the ground.

farmbif
04-21-2022, 08:23 AM
will be interesting what kind of accuracy you get. I was out shooting the 40 grain ones and took a shot that was probably 150 yards at a small predator I was close, it took off and then nailed it with second shot at about 100 yards. with my skill level it was probably just a lucky shot

30calflash
04-21-2022, 08:50 AM
Hoodat, they are accurate enough to hit a bottle cap at 50 feet and mild enough to trap the bullet inside the bottle. I used to find them or Aguila Colibris at Academy but that's a "used to"- so I'll order some! Fun, fun!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220421/6c32a7f0938c126ad446cb28c5c6e00c.jpg

Is that with an empty or full bottle?

MostlyLeverGuns
04-21-2022, 11:54 AM
Been a while but I have used the CCI CB Long's and found them to be very accurate, best of the other sub-sonic/quiet/low-power .22's. I found sub-sonic Aguila 38gr HP's maybe more accurate, but a bit louder, requiring more care in use. I used a 26" barrel Mossberg 46B-b, the longer barrel is quieter. Flickers, starlings, ground squirrels were the targets. My chocolate lab would bounce around my feet whenever I took aim, expecting to get the results, I got some disgusted looks if I missed. More room in Wyoming so quiet not so critical, use the Aguila for the stuff I use a .22 on.

Texas by God
04-21-2022, 03:20 PM
It was an empty bottle, 30calflash.

Geezer in NH
04-22-2022, 02:47 PM
I like the longs they keep the chamber clean when going to LR rounds.

Many years ago when my son was 8-9 years old we shot at 30 feet into a pile of loam beside the garage. One round went over the top of the pile. It went through a layer of cedar clapboards, a layer of 1/2 inch plywood, 10 single pane storm windows leaning against the wall and buried itself in a Rubbermaid rubbish barrel never found the bullet. Costly Opps on my part.

Texas by God
04-22-2022, 07:56 PM
My barn cats sure like it when I thin out the Chimney Swifts. I'd rather have Millie here, though- Pepper and Floyd don't care about birds except for chasing a turkey every now and then!

Digital Dan
05-07-2022, 10:28 PM
Been whacking wild hogs with CCI CB Shorts for near 20 years. Ballpark 200 pigs and had to shoot one a couple times. Short match barrel that shoots one hole groups at 25 yds.

Hueyville
05-12-2022, 09:27 PM
I am now using Eley 38 grain subsonic hollow points for small pest control. Don't have shoot thrus and they are consistent as any ammo have used. They are my chipmunk medicine ans the darned things are trying to over run us. @' to 4" tall chipmunks that move at the speed of sound require good ammo and a laser accurate rifle.

hoodat
05-12-2022, 10:06 PM
I just whacked another starling from the front porch not 20 minutes ago with a CB. I've got one of my Rem 511's dialed in, and anything within 25 yards is in serious trouble.

Millie the wirehair dog, just about goes crazy when I grab the rifle, but waits by the door while I do the deed. After the shot, I let her out, and she does the retrieve and carries it in the house to show Mom. Then out to the ditch bank to toss over the fence and feed the wild cats.

That poor dog is sad to behold if I miss.

G W Wade
05-12-2022, 10:17 PM
Love the dog! Been shooting critters in my back yard for years. CB longs are great when can find them. They work thru the magazine. 10/22 I have to work like a bolt action but thats better than my stubby fingers Rem 581 is killing machine GW

hoodat
05-12-2022, 10:56 PM
I got 500 of these sweet little shells from Midway awhile back. I still haven't got out to group them from the bench, but they're gonna do pretty good based on my kill rate.

I am liking the longs better than the shorts I had before. They are definitely easier to handle.

Its kind of funny, but this is perfect for training the dog. I can already tell ya that I don't think I'll ever lose a quail. She is positively "locked on". jd

stubshaft
05-13-2022, 04:04 AM
Been whacking wild hogs with CCI CB Shorts for near 20 years. Ballpark 200 pigs and had to shoot one a couple times. Short match barrel that shoots one hole groups at 25 yds.

I do the same with an old Bronco single shot. Dropped countless hogs and deer (headshot only).

tigweldit
05-13-2022, 08:13 AM
Love them cci cb short. Use them in a H&R bolt action single shot. Vermin on a daily basis. Couple of coyotes and fox with head shots. Nice to know that they can be used on hogs and deer with proper shot placement.

mobilemail
05-13-2022, 09:20 AM
I think I have about 100 of the CB shorts that I have had for about 30 years. I forget I have them until I see a post like this! :-)

Texas by God
05-14-2022, 08:54 AM
As far as availability- not price- I have been able to pick up "Specialty" .22 ammo lately.
Federal .22 shot, CCI CB Long, and CCI .22 Short HP.
Now, if I can find some Colibris!

DaveM
05-14-2022, 02:55 PM
They are really fun to shoot in a Remington 550-1 semiauto rifle. The 550-1 has a Williams floating chamber, so it functions with shorts, longs, or long rifles. Mine will work with the CBs as long as it's clean and well lubricated. The CBs are hearing safe in the Remington's 24" barrel.

Iowa Fox
05-15-2022, 06:49 PM

What kind of short match barrel are you using?

hoodat
05-15-2022, 07:25 PM
My Dad just beaned another starling for me this morning before church.

303Guy
06-05-2022, 03:39 AM
I've been looking out for CCI CB's but none available. A few days ago I went into a guns shop and found Fiocchi long Z 30gr. Turns out they are similar to the CCI CB's, just a bit faster at 853 fps. I see Winchester are into the game too with their 29gr pills at 770 fps, also called long Z. Z for Zimmer it seems. My plan is to dedicate one rifle for them if one of my 22's is accurate enough with them and suppress it.

I see Fiocchi is made in England. Well at least the Fiocchi subsonics I bought are. The Long Zs are made in Italy though.

shtur
06-05-2022, 04:04 PM
Those CB shorts have been my go-to since the mid 1990's when the lgs owner told me they were the highest selling .22 ammo at his store. I took many rabbits in the orchards with them over the years.

rockrat
06-05-2022, 10:57 PM
I had some CCI CB caps back in the 70's. Short version in a green box. Out of a 24" barrel, they were pretty quiet. Think around 660 fps or so. Still put the smack on a few crows in the pecan trees. They had no idea what was going on, the CB's were so quiet.

rbuck351
06-06-2022, 02:04 AM
For quiet back yard shooting of pests, I use a 22cal PCP pellet gun with a suppressor. With the pellets it likes it shoots under an inch at 50yds.

mobilemail
06-07-2022, 04:30 PM
For quiet back yard shooting of pests, I use a 22cal PCP pellet gun with a suppressor. With the pellets it likes it shoots under an inch at 50yds.

I have been using a PCP for squirrel hunting and backyard entertainment since the last rimfire shortage. Pellets have gone up in price and scarcity like everything else, but it was never as bad as the still-painful ammo shortage! (Plus, pellets are a lot safer in the back yard...

Digital Dan
06-10-2022, 09:49 AM
What kind of short match barrel are you using?

T/C Contender Carbine, special order barrel that's been with me for a little over 20 years.

Dio
06-10-2022, 08:08 PM
I have a ruger 10-22 with the Volquartsen 22 short conversion barrel and magazine.
I've killed more varmints with this set up than any other firearm for game animals or birds.....

MarkP
06-10-2022, 08:25 PM
I have been using a PCP for squirrel hunting and backyard entertainment since the last rimfire shortage. Pellets have gone up in price and scarcity like everything else, but it was never as bad as the still-painful ammo shortage! (Plus, pellets are a lot safer in the back yard...

I loaded up some 22-250's for my father in law; I used WLR primers and a 22 cal air rifle pellets and no powder, IIRC I took the expander off and neck sized and thumb pressed the pellets in. Penetrated about 3/4" of pine on a 1 x 4 pine board. Very quiet out of a relatively short 22-250 bbl. Win M 70 FWT

hoodat
06-11-2022, 12:29 AM
I loaded up some 22-250's for my father in law; I used WLR primers and a 22 cal air rifle pellets and no powder, IIRC I took the expander off and neck sized and thumb pressed the pellets in. Penetrated about 3/4" of pine on a 1 x 4 pine board. Very quiet out of a relatively short 22-250 bbl. Win M 70 FWT

Ima think Ima have to try something like that with my 218 Bee. Maybe small rifle mag primers. Wonder if a guy oughta lube the pellets with allox or sum-thin??

My Crossman 22 cal pellets seem to measure around .222", so your idea for leaving the expander out would be necessary. Thanks for the idea. jd

farmbif
06-11-2022, 12:29 PM
just yesterday noticed midway has many cci 22's in stock including quiets. prices are high but it is what it is, at least they are becoming available once again

rbuck351
06-11-2022, 01:55 PM
I was in Scheels in Missoula yesterday and they had stacks of 22lr and a bunch of the CCI 22 short CBs. The CB shorts were 12.99 per 100. I have two boxes of CCI CB shorts that I got a year or so ago at 9.99 per 100. Since I got a pcp pellet gun and a few thousand Crosman domed 22 pellets at about $13 per thousand, I haven't used many of the CBs.

Texas by God
06-19-2022, 11:52 PM
While cooking ribs over pecan wood this evening, I passed some time by plinking pieces of clay pigeon with CB longs from the 40 yard berm.
Almost dark, and the old Valor 4x and the 581 Remington made it easy.

RickinTN
06-20-2022, 11:55 AM
I've been buying CB Longs and Quiets direct from CCI on their website. Availablity is a bit spotty but I can usually get what I want in a few days or so. I really like the "Supressor" load with a 45 grain bullet at 970 fps for a bit more oomph. Their prices are more reasonable than most retailers I've seen.
Rick

303Guy
06-21-2022, 12:35 AM
I am down hearted. I tried my CB equivalents and my shotgun can do tighter patterns! :sad:

On the bright side, I have a number of single shots that have never been fired - you can see where I am going with this .... :mrgreen:

One single shot (the only one I have put through its paces) has produced a group one can only dream of so one never knows. If I can find a rifle that shoots them well and dedicate it to them, that would give me an excuse for keeping it. It would get a suppressor of course. But for now I have a new pursuit. So it's all fun. :Fire:

I just had a look at what that rifle actually did.

https://i.postimg.cc/yY2mj6Rs/Slazenger-1-Eley-STD-25m.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

And there were more than just that one. Heck, that's all I can get with my 510! Well anyway, we'll see what one of these can do with the Z's.

ulav8r
06-21-2022, 12:51 AM
I am down hearted. I tried my CB equivalents and my shotgun can do tighter patterns! :sad:

On the bright side, I have a number of single shots that have never been fired - you can see where I am going with this .... :mrgreen:

One single shot (the only one I have put through its paces) has produced a group one can only dream of so one never knows. If I can find a rifle that shoots them well and dedicate it to them, that would give me an excuse for keeping it. It would get a suppressor of course. But for now I have a new pursuit. So it's all fun. :Fire:

I just had a look at what that rifle actually did.

https://i.postimg.cc/yY2mj6Rs/Slazenger-1-Eley-STD-25m.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

And there were more than just that one. Heck, that's all I can get with my 510! Well anyway, we'll see what one of these can do with the Z's.

I can see 4 distinct hits and room for several more.

Thin Man
06-22-2022, 05:28 AM
Around 32 years ago we moved into the house we built. A month later a pair of stray dogs came into the yard to harass our Sheltie. She was so scared she ran into the garage and then into the house which was really odd for her. As I had heard and even saw the cause of this I decided to remedy the problem. By the time I got the .22 loaded with CCI CB (short length) rounds that pair of troublemakers had moved about 100 yards away. I held the rifle's sights high and with a slight lead ahead of the first dog and fired a single shot. It took a few seconds for the boolit to travel the distance but that dog gave a yelp and hobbled off favoring its left front leg. The pair went out of sight and all was calm. About 2-3 days later a neighbor told me a dead dog was found in the area where that pair had run. He described the dog and it was the one I had fired at. Just a lucky shot but more a statement of the power of these quieter and slower loads even at the 100 yard distance. The second dog didn't ever come around any more after that experience.

barrabruce
06-22-2022, 07:37 AM
I hit a rat with a Colibri 20 grn thing at 10 yards and it’s reaction was it just swung around and laid low to the ground.
The fallowing cci cb long poleaxed it with out much ado.
May have lunged it instead but did not see a entrance wound.
Didn’t lift my shirt or spin my wheels.
They may do for up in the ceiling corners were you can’t quite reach.

Don’t tell me I might has missed.

OMG
Due to the shortage of fast burning powders.
I have reverted back to rimfire as a maybe able to still shoot all things with ,besides full blown 30 cal loads.

For the price of these I don’t play around with them much.
The cci quiet are about 1" at 50 yards but shoot a lot better at about 35 yards.
I always gathered the cb’s to be a 25 yard afair,
How far do you shoot them?

I have tried the Remington cee-bees and all I can say is what a disappointment , you can have the rest of the box if you want to pick it up.

Haven’t seen z’eds in yonks
If I remember they weren’t too bad either.

farmbif
06-22-2022, 01:31 PM
thanks to a previous post here I went to cci web site and sure enough they have all sorts of 22 ammo in stock and shipped direct to you at the same prices every other reseller has posted. is it time to restock while these things are available? it sure is.
as far as accuracy of those 22 quiets, ive been getting outstanding performance from them in an old marlin 39. consistently practice with them at at least 75 yards and took out a little pest of a critter at more than 125 yards not too long ago.

Black Beard
06-23-2022, 08:19 AM
I do the same with an old Bronco single shot. Dropped countless hogs and deer (headshot only).

Ima think Ima have to try something like that with my 218 Bee. Maybe small rifle mag primers. Wonder if a guy oughta lube the pellets with allox or sum-thin??

My Crossman 22 cal pellets seem to measure around .222", so your idea for leaving the expander out would be necessary. Thanks for the idea. jd
Most .22 pellets are really 5.5mm rather than 5.7 like bullet barrels. The ones used in larger airgun barrels are usually RWS Superdome or the largest head size H&N field target trophy. These are the most likely to be accurate in .22 bullet guns.

Rapier
06-23-2022, 11:06 AM
I use the CBs for cleaning critters out of my traps. The CBs are a bunch quieter than my pellet guns, used in a long barrel 22 rifle. I do not pick up live coons or possums.

Texas by God
06-26-2022, 11:24 PM
Today I had fun using CB Longs at 10 feet from a Taurus PT22 tip up barrel pistol. They shot just a bit low but grouped well. Like a break action single shot- cool!

Texas by God
07-01-2022, 11:39 AM
I tried some again in better light. This is fun!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220701/9396bb786f92f334f547f853ce0ce92b.jpg

Iowa Fox
07-10-2022, 04:16 AM
T/C Contender Carbine, special order barrel that's been with me for a little over 20 years.

Can you tell us a bit about your special order barrel.

Digital Dan
07-16-2022, 05:50 PM
Nothing special actually. Ordered from T/C as a “short match chamber and barrel, 19” length. Same thing can be had from Bullberry or MGM I’d guess. Shoots one ragged hole at 25 yds and hovers around 1/2” at 50. Never shot it at longer distance. It has killed about 200 wild hogs, all with a single shot with one exception that required 2. 40-250#, at distances ranging from 10-38 yards. I used a Millett SP1 red dot for a long time but recently changed to a 2.5x Leupold. Best day I had with it was 5 hogs w/o taking a step. Boar an sow around 225# each and 3 shoats of about 40#. Quiet it is with CB shorts.

Iowa Fox
07-17-2022, 07:55 AM
Thanks for that run down Dan.

Tripplebeards
08-09-2022, 06:25 PM
Walmart had a pile if them last year for $9.99 a box. I bought a half dozen. I wanted to try the ammo in my 6mm Flobert. They are still to powerful and blow the action open. I tried them in my 452 utralux, 552, Winchester 1904 boys rifle, and my anchutz wood chucker. Not the tightest grouping ammo by any means. Imo I can’t get an acceptable group in any of my rifles with them at 25 yards. I’ll stick with my old faithful Winchester 333’s thst shoot tight in all the rifles above. They seem a little louder than the 710 fps quiet ammo that’s about a 150 fps faster. The quiets won’t exit my ultralux but the CB shorts do.

Winger Ed.
08-09-2022, 06:37 PM
I like 'em.

For me, with open sights on my Henry, they seem to hold about 2MOS(squirrel).

Tripplebeards
08-09-2022, 08:55 PM
That’s about right for me to. About a 2” group at 25 yards with CBs vs a 5 shot group with 333’s at 50 yards that all go into a little hole the size of pencil eraser(like the diamond target in the above post). I always stick with 22lr ammo that will shoot a half inch group or better at 50 yards for hunting. MOSH…minute of squirrel head. Maybe someday I’ll eventually own a gun that likes the CBs.

303Guy
08-10-2022, 01:55 AM
I tried the Z's in a different rifle the other day and the results were better. Still not 25m accurate though. 15 would be useful. I thought that maybe one of my single shots with a small suppressor would be good for around the home should a possum make an appearance.

Texas by God
08-10-2022, 05:38 PM
I think that the CB's are running out of poof at 40 yards. My deaf self could hear the bullets impact the cardboard.[emoji16]
I hunt with high speed shorts and long rifle- I use the CBs for play.
If I lived in town I'd only use CBs or Colibris. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220810/82133b780b88becd923c334b997d3547.jpg

Winger Ed.
08-10-2022, 05:45 PM
Maybe someday I’ll eventually own a gun that likes the CBs.

I think part of their problem is from making that long jump into the rifling when the chamber is really made for LRs.

Years ago, I knew an old WWII guy that had a Marlin 39 from the 1930s or so.
It was pretty accurate with shorts, and that's all they'd ever shot in it because they were cheaper.
The crud had built up so much neither a Long or LR would chamber in it.

Another life long friend had a antique Winchester pump he called a 'bicycle rifle'.
It was chambered only just for .22 shorts, and was very accurate.

Handloader109
08-10-2022, 07:01 PM
Ha, sounds like my old Remington I inherited from my great uncle. I'd love to know how many shorts he shot through that rifle. I have cleaned and cleaned and I've finally got it to the point I can shoot a lr in it without having to get a pair of pliers to get the brass out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk