PDA

View Full Version : How much lanolin do I add to alcohol to make case luibe?

koger
04-20-2022, 03:43 PM
Just wondering how many parts/parts to add, like 1/4 etc. All replies appreciated.

danomano
04-20-2022, 03:47 PM
I think its 10 :1

Txcowboy52
04-20-2022, 04:27 PM
I mix it 10:1 with great results.

Wilderness
04-20-2022, 05:08 PM
Just wondering how many parts/parts to add, like 1/4 etc. All replies appreciated.

Of course the other way is not to add any alcohol at all. Put a VERY small amount (finger smear) of lanolin in the palm of your hand, rub the hands together to distribute the lanolin (and soften the hands), then roll cases between your hands, about half a dozen at a time. Add lanolin as required. You'll pretty soon get the hang of it. Degree of lube on hands required will depend on resistance of cases to sizing. Adjust as necessary. For instance I use more for .308 than for .30-30. If you can see lanolin on the skin you are using far too much.

Hossfly
04-20-2022, 06:15 PM
10:1 works for me. Last a long time cause it disperses very well. Good spray plastic bottle into a plastic bag coats everything very well.
Just remember to let the alcohol flash off or you will stick a case in a heart beat. Don’t ask how I know.

derek45
04-20-2022, 08:36 PM
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Case-Lube-for-cheap-********/42-305174/

PM sent

the forum keeps editing my link. it's in the ar15.com reloading forum

8:1

koger
04-20-2022, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the help.

slim1836
04-21-2022, 10:56 AM
One ounce of liquid lanolin per 12 ounces of Isoheat is what I've used with great results.

Slim

Savvy Jack
04-21-2022, 11:16 AM
Yeap, 10/1 is what I use.

todd9.3x57
04-21-2022, 02:46 PM
its anywhere from 8:1 to 10:1.

1hole
04-21-2022, 03:07 PM
Of course the other way is not to add any alcohol at all. Put a VERY small amount (finger smear) of lanolin in the palm of your hand, rub the hands together to distribute the lanolin (and soften the hands), then roll cases between your hands, about half a dozen at a time. Add lanolin as required. You'll pretty soon get the hang of it. Degree of lube on hands required will depend on resistance of cases to sizing. Adjust as necessary. For instance I use more for .308 than for .30-30. If you can see lanolin on the skin you are using far too much.

There you go. Why waste alcohol just to get a light smear of lanolin on the cases?

derek45
04-21-2022, 06:36 PM
There you go. Why waste alcohol just to get a light smear of lanolin on the cases?

because......processing 1000 round batches of LC brass on a DILLON XL650 with a casefeeder.

DILLON XL650
1.decapper.
2. SWAGE-IT primer pocket swager
4. size die / RT1200 electric trimmer.
5. redding neck sizer.

spray lube LC 5.56 brass, pour into XL650 casefeeder, each pull produces a de-capped, resized, trimmed, crimped primer pocket crimp removed.

notice that My hands never touch the case, never tire nor get dirty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uBjoIuvAQQ&list=TLPQMjEwNDIwMjIt8SSBnDiu1Q&index=2

next polish brass in 20/40grit corn cob, to remove the lanolin.

change toolhead to
1. Lyman M-die
2. powder funnel
3. powder check system
4. bullet seater
5, crimp die if needed.

now load them up, just like pistol....

https://i.imgur.com/Halg0Tc.gif

1hole
04-21-2022, 08:28 PM
Goodness Derek, that reloading podcast and your equipment list is impressive but do you often load in thousand round batches?

Whatever, but I wasn't posting to an obvious expert reloader with years of experience and thousands of dollars worth of everything like you; I was posting to the OP. You know, the nice fellow who started this thread by simply asking how to rightly mix his case lube? :)

derek45
04-21-2022, 08:31 PM
Goodness Derek, that reloading podcast and your equipment list is impressive but do you often load in thousand round batches?

Whatever, but I wasn't posting to an obvious expert reloader with years of experience and thousands of dollars worth of everything like you; I was posting to the OP. You know, the nice fellow who started this thread by simply asking how to rightly mix his case lube? :)

OK, but even with smaller batches, cutting it with alcohol will spread it out around the brass, and make the lanolin last longer.

This is home made Dillon style lube, so I assumed OP was using a progressive machine.

Savvy Jack
04-21-2022, 10:06 PM

I mix 10:1 and put it in an old "off" bug spray pump bottle. I put 25 44-40 cases at a time into a plastic container. I use two to three pumps per 50 cases. No idea how much material comes out with one small pump but......I shake the container slightly leaning it at an angle and many of the case stand up. I can typically remove the cases on end about 6 at a time.

No mess on my hands is kind of what I am getting at and minimal use of the oil in the pump.

1hole
04-22-2022, 10:38 PM
Lanolin is very slick and it's clean. I know it's been used for case resizing, reforming and jacketed bullet swaging since at least the 1950s, probably earlier.

Dillon sells lanolin in a spray can but, IIRC, they didn't invent it. I think Hornady was the first to mass market it as a spray lube in their "1 Shot" form ... I think. ???

John Boy
04-24-2022, 07:53 PM
No need to add any lanolin if you buy a can of Bag Balm at the drug store for 6 bucks

gwpercle
04-25-2022, 02:41 PM
No need to add any lanolin if you buy a can of Bag Balm at the drug store for 6 bucks

Udderly good stuff ... great for reloading , hands and feet ... if you don't have milk cows !
Gary

sledgehammer001
04-29-2022, 05:20 AM
I use 10:1 using 90% alcohol, and recently formed almost 100 .243 Win out of .308 Win with zero issues. Used the baggie lube method.

Good Cheer
04-29-2022, 07:30 PM
Doesn't the slight amount of anhydrous lanolin that will suspend in alcohol determine the mix?
What I mean is that only so much lanolin will go into the mix so if you throw some alcohol in a can on top of some lanolin won't it only pick up as much as it actually can? And that there is your mix?
I don't know this for sure, therefore I'm asking.
I use a dab of lanolin covered in alcohol in the bottom of a pimento jar.

Savvy Jack
04-29-2022, 07:52 PM
Doesn't the slight amount of anhydrous lanolin that will suspend in alcohol determine the mix?
What I mean is that only so much lanolin will go into the mix so if you throw some alcohol in a can on top of some lanolin won't it only pick up as much as it actually can? And that there is your mix?

I have no idea and could care less....it works!!!

and to add....
I can not tell ya'll how many loads I have made with this little bit. No mess, nothing gets on my hands and it mixes very well with 91% alcohol. Shake two or three times before use. Most simplest thing I have ever used for case lube and will never go back to anything else.

35Whelen
04-30-2022, 01:45 PM

That's why you should use LIQUID lanolin and not Anhydrous...Anhydrous is the solid form of lanolin.

BudRow
05-03-2022, 02:47 PM
Has anyone tried the product "Fluid Film" as a source for lanolin?

Loudy13
05-03-2022, 09:32 PM
I use 14:1 which I thought was the ratio that dillon uses, but cant remember where I found that. Either way it works great havent had any issues yet sizing a few thousand 300BO cases.

notenoughguns
05-04-2022, 11:40 AM
I have and it's great for long term storage of your prized firearms .

Static line
05-05-2022, 06:29 AM
Beating the horse, I mix 1 oz of pure liquid Lanolin to 12 oz. of 99% Iso Alcohol. Can't begin to tell you where I got the recipe but it works.

Mytmousemalibu
05-05-2022, 09:15 AM
Bought one bottle of Dillion DCL originally with my 650 but just blend & fill that bottle now. It goes on any brass running in that machine. So much smoother and lower force. Even pistol brass.

I tried the Hornady stuff I like to call 1-Stuck. The name is appropriate. DCL is superior, converted a couple buddies to it too. They were quite pessimistic about how much less effort it is on the handle but were shocked by how well this simple recipe works.

Rich/WIS
05-05-2022, 10:26 AM
Usual mix for me is about 2 oz (1/2 4oz bottle) to a full bottle of the red HEET. About 8/1 and works through a spray bottle. I stand the cases up in a tray and a light spritz from both sides covers well. Before sizing I wipe the case with my fingers to ensure full coverage. After sizing lay them on an old T-shirt and hit with Brake cleaner and wipe off the worst of it and then into the tumbler with walnut and an oz or two of mineral spirits.

todd9.3x57
05-05-2022, 01:41 PM
That's why you should use LIQUID lanolin and not Anhydrous...Anhydrous is the solid form of lanolin.

i have used anhydrous and i have no problems. when my spray bottle and my jar of anhydrous lanolin is emptied out (its gonna be a few years), i'll try liquid lanolin.

WRideout
05-06-2022, 10:48 AM

Apply with fingers. I use it as a case forming lube, straight, with good results.

Wayne

Good Cheer
05-06-2022, 12:42 PM
The pimento jar.
Been using the same glob under alcohol forever.

http://i.imgur.com/Cp16WQ4.jpg (https://imgur.com/Cp16WQ4)

SSG_Reloader
05-27-2022, 10:50 AM
I had to learn not to over do the lube. First starting out I definitely added too much and when they dried, there was a thick line film on there resulting in dented shoulders. I like the rule of a few pumps per 30-50 cases depending on what your sizing. It doesn't take much as long as you shake it up enough. I usually do my 10:1 lube coatings in a galling freezer bag.

GONRA
05-27-2022, 09:33 PM
GONRA sez - quit beatin' yer brains out
Use STP Oil Treatment or Tri-Flow Synthetic Grease.
These have proven to handle the most difficult resizing jobs..

h8dirt
06-03-2022, 07:48 PM
10 ounces of 99% isopropol alcohol + 1 ounce of liquid lanolin (liquid measure) in a spray bottle capable of producing a fine mist spray. That’s what I use on straight walled and bottle neck cases.

OFFSHORE
07-22-2022, 09:57 PM
I'm on the ban-wagon of 1:10 lanolin/Isoheat (red bottle) but I also add 5% Ballistol by volume just for good measure. I case form and case size with this formula with great success, from pistol to rifle brass, it lasts a long while and is very economical to make!!!

bruce381
07-23-2022, 03:14 PM

You are right there is a solubility limit thats where all the mixes ratios came from

ETG
09-08-2022, 07:14 PM
Need some help PLEASE. I made some spay lube for the first time. Used 12 to 1. I only had the solid lanolin I use for swaging so I heated it up to melt it. Couldn't find any 99% alcohol so I used the Isoheat like slim1836 used. The lanolin would not stay in suspension so I had to shake before using. Sprayed around 200 Lake City Match 72 308 brass and it worked smooth as silk. I wet tumbled, then sized and trimed and then tumbled again overnight to get the lube off and put the luster back on the cases. When I opened the tumbler the water was almost black and the cases looked like russian steel cases. I rinsed the tumbler and pins and retumbled. The second time I only used 1/2 table spoon of dawn and 1//2 teaspoon of lemishine. Again they caame out looking like steel cases. Really smooth and clean just not brass colored. I trim on a Giraud. Attached is a pic of the cases. The first three were just tumbled. The second three were after sizing and trimming and the last three are what they look like after tumbling twice. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan to load and shoot them - they look pristine except for the color - not a speck of residue outside or inside.
Thanks,
ETG304206

slim1836
09-08-2022, 07:46 PM
I am just guessing but it may be that you tumbled too long, I've never left my brass overnight in a solution with citric acid. You might try some in a vibratory tumbler to remove the dark matter. Or, wash without citric acid, just Dawn, for a while.

Slim

Stewbaby
09-08-2022, 08:20 PM
Way too much lemishine and too long…just add a pinch and work up if needed. The acid in lemishine leaches out the zinc in the brass so don’t over do it.

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
09-08-2022, 10:48 PM
D you need to clean the lanolin/alcohol case lube off the cases after your done sizing?

Bills Shed
09-09-2022, 02:57 AM
Yes,clean before tumbling. I have done the black mess before. You will now have to wash all your pins, tumbler and brass in hot soapy water to get most of that slop off. I have a container of Shellite ( which you call Coleman fuel) and throw all the cases in it and give a swirl prior to tumbling. That will get most of the lanolin off before tumbling. When tumbling the dish washing detergent will get the rest off. If not enough dish soap it will just go black. When you open your tumbler after a couple of hours, there should be some bubbles still. If not there was still to much lanolin on the cases and the lube coats everything and not held in suspension.

DocSavage
09-09-2022, 10:14 AM
I wash my pins with Simple Green when needed,never tumble cases for more than 2 hours myself. I throw my sized cases in the tumbler right after sizing combo of Dawn and Lemonini shine cases come out sparkly clean.

David2011
09-09-2022, 04:10 PM
Way too much lemishine and too long…just add a pinch and work up if needed. The acid in lemishine leaches out the zinc in the brass so don’t over do it.

Sorry; I have to disagree with everything but “too long.” Zinc is only leeched out where the brass is corroded in which case it was already lost from the cartridge alloy. If it goes deep enough to feel then the cartridge is weakened and I wouldn’t use it. After processing 3000 milsurp 5.56 cases that were weathered to a dark brown, I scrapped exactly two of them because of deep corrosion.

The last time I treated brass with citric acid I measured 1-1/2 tablespoons of pure citric acid and 1/2 teaspoon of Lemi-shine into 1-1/2 gallons of water. I used that much because my ultrasonic cleaner requires 1.5-1.6 gallons. I treated the brass at 140 degrees F until bright; just 2-4 minutes. Lemi-shine is mostly citric acid so I used far more total citric acid than your recommendation.

Before I started heating the solution I the brass had to soak for hours. Never any leeching of good brass. Lost zinc shows as pink areas. It usually polishes off in the vibratory polisher using fine corn cob and NuFinish. It usually cannot be found after polishing. If it can, scrap the piece.

I’ve only cleaned brass after using lanolin based lube by dry polishing. It looks great and doesn’t get my hands dirty.

Geezer in NH
10-07-2022, 05:38 PM
Lanolin mixed in alcohol tastes sheep dip.

imashooter2
10-08-2022, 07:40 PM
A bottle of RCBS case lube in a quart of 90% Isopropyl is what I use. Still on the first quart…

tunnug
10-08-2022, 10:24 PM
One ounce of liquid lanolin per 12 ounces of Isoheat is what I've used with great results.

Slim

This is what I used, Lanolin from Amazon came in a 2oz bottle, 2 bottles of ISOHeat and done, pleny for a really long time, been using this for a couple years now, great results.

braddock
01-10-2023, 08:22 AM
Don't overthink it, I bought lanolin and isopropynol from amazon about 4 years ago I have used about a third of it. I just mixed all of both components together.
TBH I don't use it often as I just neck size my cases hence don't need any lub at all.
BUT I can't get a neck sizer here in the UK for a 30/30 (LEE one won't buy anything else) so I backed off my 30/30 full length die and adjusted it until the neck was formed to within a 1/32" of the start of the bottle neck.
To lub them I fill a plastic cap about 1/4" deep with the mixture, dip the case necks into it, flick them dry as I put them into the press and then store them neck down on my loading tray. A quick wipe with a tissue next day gets the dry lanolin off and they're good to go, I don't clean inside the necks and, fwiw, I never clean primer pockets and I can't be arsed to tumble clean the cases - works for me. Cases and loads feed fine thru my pre 64 md 94 so I'm happy.
I've had zero problems and two things have happened, I've saved myself the cost of a neck die and, more important, neck tension should be 100% uniform this way as the decapping pin does its job the same every time as opposed to perhaps different pressure on each batch thru a neck die. Not very well explained but if you neck size, you'll know what I mean.