PDA

View Full Version : gator checks?

barnabus
04-19-2022, 06:10 AM
i have a 30br pistol that i load for. Sage offers .015 and .017 check thickness in this caliber(.284 shank) what is the purpose in offering two thicknesses? what could i expect as far as installing using the thinner check...ease of installing on the luber?

farmbif
04-19-2022, 08:55 AM
just in a general sense im just just throwing this out there, but, if they are in stock might get some of each so you can try them. and see what works best for your particular mold and application. I think of gas checks kind of like primers, you can't really have too many if you want to be able to shoot whatever and whenever you want

Bfb
04-19-2022, 10:45 AM
Need different thickness to make up difference between bullet shank diameter and what final sized diameter will be. Too thin don’t secure on well, too thick problem thru sizer and “upsetting” lead around shank and deforming gas check.

TjB101
04-19-2022, 11:45 AM
Need different thickness to make up difference between bullet shank diameter and what final sized diameter will be. Too thin don’t secure on well, too thick problem thru sizer and “upsetting” lead around shank and deforming gas check.

So, when in doubt go bigger? Just more force to resize into the shank.

Bfb
04-19-2022, 12:17 PM
Personally I would use the thicker, not a problem with lubrisizer, maybe an issue with lee push thru.

sukivel
04-21-2022, 06:16 AM
Personally I would use the thicker, not a problem with lubrisizer, maybe an issue with lee push thru.

Why would it be an issue with Lee sizers? To thick could cause them to warp?

I’m having a warping issue with my 30 cal vulcan checks. I have to use the NOE check expander to get them on my boolit, and they warp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bfb
04-21-2022, 09:58 PM
If feeding nose first in lee sizer and material too thick the check may peel back or simply sheer at point where the die compresses them to diameter. The other situation is you get a perfectly round “divot” in bottom of gas check from force of seating stem. Lots of options.. different material thickness offered by gc makers eg: “sages”, try sizing base first with lee if fn bullet, or get a caliber specific gas check maker and you can chose thickness of material that works for you. Sounds like your shank diameter too big for gc if you have to expand them, try base first thru the lee if bullet geometry will let you.