PDA

View Full Version : Questions about .327 and RimRock Hardcast bullets

mobilemail
04-18-2022, 01:14 PM
I'm getting ready to order bullets for my .327FM reloading. I have been looking at the RimRock 115 & 125gr BHN22 bullets for the higher pressure loads. My questions:
1. For those of you with more experience than me: With a BHN22 bullet, is a gas check even necessary?
2. Have you found a better choice between loading a non-coated, non-gas check BHN22 bullet, and a BHN16 coated bullet (like those available at Acme bullet)?
3. If you have been successful loading with a BHN22 bullet in combination with any of the powders that I have, could you recommend a good starting/stopping place for working up loads?
Powders I have to try: Accurate #9, lil'gun, CFEPistol, Unique, Titegroup, Bullseye
guns I'm using: SP-101 4", Henry Big Boy lever action

So far I've had promising results with AA#9 and 100gr XTP; and for moderate, "fun" loads with lilgun and 100gr Rainier plated...that I just ran out of.

Thanks in advance for your input!

ABJ
04-18-2022, 04:57 PM
I'll go first, It's not so much the BHN as it is the fit in the cylinder of the SP. Most SP's I have seen including mine have cylinder throats all over the map. Also check the forcing cone to see if it is smooth. If the cylinders are not the same and the forcing cone is rough it won't matter how hard or soft they are it will lead.
Mine were .309 to .313 on the throats so I had to move the smaller ones to .313.
The forcing cone looked like a file and the metal on those are hard,hard,hard. I broke down and sent it to a pistol smith for finish work.
Gas checked boolits at 14/15 Brinell worked best vs linotype plain base in my gun. I never tried anything in between.
I do not know if all the 327 SP's were like mine but not happy is an understatement. Pin the cylinders first.
Tony

mobilemail
04-20-2022, 07:37 PM
I ended up going with Acme bullets 115gr RNFP and 100gr RN. I really like the coated bullets, and I can see how they work out in different configurations. I would like to try the Rimrock Keith bullets sometime.

I was grumbling recently about the lack of .327FM in the marketplace, and then I did the math. I will be reloading for about $10/50, and the last factory ammo I bought was $35/50. I'm feeling better already!!