PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Powder Measure Stand Modification

pertnear
04-17-2022, 09:50 AM
I'm not a big fan of Hornady's L-N-L inserts for reloading dies, but they are the best thing since sliced bread for a powder measure stand!! :smile:

Spinning the whole measure around half full of powder to pour back in the bottle is cumbersome & accident prone. I drilled my RCBS stand out to 1-1/4" then drilled & tapped it for a set-screw. Installed the L-N-L adapter with a dab of epoxy & locked with the set-screw. A simple mod that makes you say "Why did't I do this sooner!"

country gent
04-17-2022, 10:19 AM
I made several stands with a 7/8" hole and used 2 lock rings one top and bottom to lock them in. UNthread the bottom one and the measure lifted out.

brass410
04-17-2022, 10:51 AM
I like that idea a lot!!!!! you better get a patent on it cause I'm gonna use that idea, thanks for posting it (I'm sick of spilling powder, to spendy now, I just saw a listing for 2 8lb jugs of imr 4350 850 bucks cdn each)

pertnear
04-17-2022, 11:17 AM
I like that idea a lot!!!!! you better get a patent on it cause I'm gonna use that idea, thanks for posting it (I'm sick of spilling powder, to spendy now, I just saw a listing for 2 8lb jugs of imr 4350 850 bucks cdn each)

Actually, not a new idea. The Hornady powder measure stand already comes with an insert for conversion to L-N-L. But by the time you buy the stand & conversion kit it gets to be a bit "spendy". Besides I already had the RCBS - it just needed a little upgrade. :Bright idea:

country gent
04-17-2022, 06:31 PM
I did mine before the bayonet bushings were available. I thought about making the insert and a few bushings but decided the 2 lock rings would do. One change I would make is add a hole in the top bushing and a matching pin in the stand to stop rotation it wouldnt need to be as tight then.

Green Frog
04-17-2022, 08:00 PM
My kid brother gave me an RCBS stand that he considered worthless because it has no internal threads to hold the powder measure... AWWW. I just learned from this thread how it's supposed to be used! :mrgreen:

Froggie

fatnhappy
04-17-2022, 08:35 PM
Looks like I need to hunt down a 1.25" bit now.....

Mike W1
04-18-2022, 06:08 PM
Years ago I removed the threads on mine with an old rasp or something. Drop the measure in and use a die lock ring on the bottom side. Problem solved and it doesn't move around on me.

Winger Ed.
04-18-2022, 06:21 PM
On my Hornady stand, and the taller one I made for the Hornady measure:
I've always put the measure through the hole, and spun a die lock ring up to the top.

To really cinch it down, I rotate the measure about 1/4 turn while holding the lock ring.
Removal is the same, turn the measure 1/4 turn to loosen it, then spin the lock ring off.

pertnear
04-18-2022, 07:57 PM
Looks like I need to hunt down a 1.25" bit now.....

I didn't have a large drill bit so I used a cheap step drill I had bought at tractor supply in the bargain bin. I drilled from the top to the 1-1/4" step depth. Then I turned the stand over & did the same. The little bit of metal left in the middle was easily removed with a Dremel.

Taterhead
04-19-2022, 01:07 PM
Pretty clever retrofit! I don't like to thread my measures either which is why I appreciate that the new version of the powder stands are not threaded. Measure drops in and is secured from the bottom with a lock ring -- finger tight. Spin the lock ring off to dump powder or to swap measures. Quick nd easy.

https://i.postimg.cc/K8s8R8rJ/20180325-213700.jpg

imashooter2
04-19-2022, 02:31 PM
I was all set for this until I saw the price for bushings. Maybe I’ll do the through hole and nut below.

alamogunr
04-19-2022, 02:47 PM
The 2 lock rings sounds just right for me. It is a pain for both the large RCBS measure and the Little Dandy. The Little Dandy has to be emptied to change out the rotor when you are trying to zero in on a odd powder(surplus). I've sometimes had to check the weight thrown by 3 rotors to get where I want.

rustyshooter
04-19-2022, 07:30 PM
"Why didn't I do this sooner?" Lol
Great idea. I have the step bit too. Don't know if that fact helps my case or hurts it. It was all staring me right in the face. I'll have this mod done by the weekend. Thanks pertnear :Fire: